Author Topic: Another year, more sponsorship issues for NASCAR  (Read 166 times)

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
  • Home is where my treestand is
Another year, more sponsorship issues for NASCAR
« on: January 01, 2018, 09:06:47 AM »
News stories are a little old, but it's been awhile since I've checked in on anything NASCAR related with the hustle and bustle of the holidays.

MillerCoors will no longer be the "official beer of NASCAR", ending their partnership as such and ending sponsorship of the Coors Light pole award.  It was also announced earlier this year that Miller Lite is reducing the number of races they are primary sponsor of the #2 (11 races in 2018).  So while they are still in the sport, it is in a very reduced role from years past.  You would think it there was something NASCAR stereotypes shouldn't have an issue with being associated with, it's beer.  LOL

Also, Monster Energy is yet to exercise their 2 year option to remain the title sponsor of the Cup Series until 2020.  NASCAR originally wanted the decision by December, but granted Monster 2 extensions until the spring to decide.  So really, it's not looking good and this could be the last year that Monster is the title sponsor, and who knows where the sponsorship comes from in the future as there haven't even been any grumblings about a potential replacement, just that NASCAR is looking into it as a possibility.

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Board Mod
  • Hall of Famer
  • Don't try it, I have the high ground
Re: Another year, more sponsorship issues for NASCAR
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »
They have been looking at costs in the sport, but they will need to make some drastic changes soon if things don't improve.
mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
  • Most Loyal Fans In Racing - The "Rowdy" Nation
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »
They have been looking at costs in the sport, but they will need to make some drastic changes soon if things don't improve.

I think they already have !
I mean Kenseth didn't really want to leave the sport, but he isn't driving for Front Row or at a reduced cost.
Carl is gone, he didn't have a ride after 2017 so he left on his own a year early.
Big paychecks are going by the wayside. Even Hamlin has hinted that the big drivers aren't getting paid enough.
Kyle Busch, mark my words will drive his own car in a couple of years because JGR will scale back to all young drivers like Hendrick just did.
JGR isn't paying Erik near what Carl, Matt or Denny and Kyle make. I mean Erik can't afford his plane like the others, he rides with the JGR crew members to every race, he did last year. Even Kyle Larson doesn't own a plane and you can bet Bowman and Byron at HMS do not own a plane and they probably do not make enough money if they did want one, as what we are seeing is big teams are going with young drivers and cutting cost by not paying big salaries.

Now, that will backfire some as we have seen this year with the 78 and 18 winning 12 races between the two of them.
That will continue in 2018 as I look for those 2 to probably win close to 15 to 17 races just between them.
Chevy has a new car to shake out and Hendrick has 3 drivers out of 4 who haven't even won a race in cup.
Although Elliott probably will and that may even be Daytona right out of the box although I think a Ford will win easily on the plate tracks, no reason to believe that will change.   

RCR has pretty much given up on a 3rd team car and the #27 will go away. I am not sure NASCAR will give out all 36 leases this year with the 77 and 27 gone, the #15 team still may fold and there also seems to be issues with BK racing's finance's and they may not run the 23 or the 83.
Then you have the #72 team, they have not made solid plans and also look at the #33 team, they seem to be falling apart this month.

Big problems in an expensive sport, the drivers have took the first big hit in the wallet, that is why we will have a domination by a few this year.
But where does the next big cut come from, that is the bigger question. Spikes.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:14:30 PM by SpikesRowdy18 »
Kyle"Rowdy"Busch 2015 Sprint Cup Champion !

Offline Section_725

• Star
  • Try Not! Do! Or Do Not! There Is No Try!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »
We should have seen this coming. Drivers salaries were going up, the cost to field a car despite NASCARs efforts continues to grow, meanwhile companies are looking to lower costs. An easy way for teams to cut costs? Go from a driver making 5-10 million per year to drivers making 1 million or less per year. Teams will need to work with a 15 million dollar a year budget instead of the 25+ they have been used to. Stinks for the Kenseths, Edwards, heck even Kurt Busch is feeling it.
Sadly as fans we will have to watch lesser talented drivers hopefully grow into great drivers. Of course with this new reality if you don't produce there is another driver most likely ready to jump into the seat.
I'm surprised Monster is almost done as the primary sponsor, that would be quite short, and really embarrassing for NASCAR that they can't get a company to sponsor the top division.
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »
We should have seen this coming. Drivers salaries were going up, the cost to field a car despite NASCARs efforts continues to grow, meanwhile companies are looking to lower costs. An easy way for teams to cut costs? Go from a driver making 5-10 million per year to drivers making 1 million or less per year. Teams will need to work with a 15 million dollar a year budget instead of the 25+ they have been used to. Stinks for the Kenseths, Edwards, heck even Kurt Busch is feeling it.
Sadly as fans we will have to watch lesser talented drivers hopefully grow into great drivers. Of course with this new reality if you don't produce there is another driver most likely ready to jump into the seat.
I'm surprised Monster is almost done as the primary sponsor, that would be quite short, and really embarrassing for NASCAR that they can't get a company to sponsor the top division.

Excellent points my friend. Excellent.

Yes, for us fans we have to deal with the lesser talent behind the wheel and we have, but also we fans complain when a handful of drivers win every week. That my friend will only get worse in 2018, most clueless fans will say oh Toyota has an advantage, well, nooooo Toyota has the best drivers while the top Chevy team has 3 rookie drivers and an aging 7 time champ that is losing his talent. You put Kyle Busch in a RCR car tomorrow and he wins within 5 races, fact, actually it was proven, when Harvick left they went down hill. And if Keselowski would just shut his trap and drive like he can he will win some in 2018 just like Harvick will in 2018 in a Ford. Like the Great Fireball Roberts once said after a Charlotte race in the late 50's. I just beat you in my equipment and next week I will take your car and you take mine and I will beat you again. Loved that guy.... Well my Dad did.

Anyway, hope Section is right, if Byron, Bowman and Wallace don't have success maybe they will get fired and let some other young hotshot have those top rides at a really cut salary rate. But don't complain with Truex, Harvick, Busch and Keselowski leading all the laps and winning most every week. After all everyone has a shot at the 4 plate races a year. Yes Section, the Monster Trophy sure looks short lived, and that is a big embarrassment for sure.

But Section even notice when BKR Racing shut down the truck team, Brad Keselowski has kept employees at that shop.
I think he and Kyle Busch know the big millions are going out the door and by the wayside.

That is why those two will be in their own cars by 2020, I bet on it. Only way to keep up the life style they are use to while JGR, Hendricks and Penske now pay only a million bucks a year instead of the 15 to 20 million a year they use to pay. Spikes.

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • 37 Ford
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:30:58 PM »
NASCAR's biggest problem in my opinion is they took all the sponsorship from the Teams.  When you take the money from the teams, they can no longer afford to pay their drivers.  The other thing I haven't seen addressed is the Pit Crews, right now in order to win you have to have the best tire changers and gas men in the business and they when competition is high you have to pay the best to get or keep the best. 
car2 atl3 den1 arkansas1

Offline Section_725

• Star
  • Try Not! Do! Or Do Not! There Is No Try!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 07:18:50 AM »
Interesting point mikey. Nobody really talks about the pit crew salaries, but I think they should be paid well for risking their lives to do their jobs. I know the driver is important, of course these days the engineers designing the cars may be more important, but a bad pit crew can really be a problem for a team. (How many spots does Harvick lose on a pretty consistent basis?)

I think keeping costs down is a good thing for NASCAR, but at the same time the top teams are going to get the top sponsorship money, and the lesser teams will always struggle to be as good as they can't afford the top engineers, drivers, pit crew...
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 02:40:01 PM »
I was looking around this morning and Jayski is saying they have 37 full time cup teams.
Well counting on their own site either I can't count or they can't.

I don't see it, the #33 is up in the air, we know the #77 and #27 teams are gone, BK Racing isn't saying a word, plus they only have one charter, the #15 team hasn't said a word nor has the the #72 team who all had full time cars on the track in 2017.

So I count,,,hold on, I will count again on teams committed ....... I count 32 teams for sure...   32 and a month away from Daytona activity.

Think about that...   and these teams are not fully funded, including big teams.

Also, Biffle left last year, he can out drive half the field we have, notice he isnt even talked about anymore, cant afford him can they.

Change is a coming..... Big Time....             Spikes.

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Board Mod
  • Hall of Famer
  • Don't try it, I have the high ground
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 02:45:43 PM »
The big money isn't there right now.
mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 04:37:28 PM »
And the hits just keep coming....   http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/news/nascar-coors-light-sponsorship-motorsports-splits-10-years/9n95diump1t51qq3d5noa83nb

Nascar said it wanted an official beer, right now I don't see it happening.

Remember Miller Lite is only on the #2 Penske car for 11 races all year and Discount Tire is the main sponsor.

The pattern continues, young drivers have nowhere to go, much less veterans like Kenseth, Edwards and Biffle.
You may never see those guys again.

I still only see 32 full time cars entered, BK Racing may be done with lawsuits from what I am hearing, Spikes.

Offline bondkbond

• Board Mod
  • Coach
  • Bar Tab Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 02:05:21 PM »
Salary cap time
Purebred Cheesehead