Author Topic: VIKINGS 2014 NFL DRAFT  (Read 7822 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Starter
  • 😜I Ain't Got No Worries😜
VIKINGS 2014 NFL DRAFT
« on: October 29, 2013, 06:32:07 PM »
Update 3/19/14

1. Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M
2. Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
3. Christian Jones ILB Florida State
3. Dakota Doziel OG Furman
4. Craig Loston S LSU
5. De'Anthony Thomas RB Oregon
6. Ryan Carrethers DT Arkandas
7. Antone Exum CB Virginia Tech
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:41:54 PM by MaryJane »
virginia1 atl3 duke1 min1

Offline CMC18V

• Hates stupid people!!!
  • Star
  • I see what you did there!
Re: VIKINGS 2014 NFL DRAFT
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:53:59 PM »
 LMAOA
If someone tells you they don't like fighting in hockey every other word out of their mouth might be a lie.

Offline MaryJane

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 10:04:19 AM »
im starting early cmc..couldnt bare the pressure!!!!

Offline 1hotchev

• Veteran
  • God loves a workin Man
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 09:49:42 PM »
bring me a franchise QB, don't care what his name is.
PAGE NAMED NFLS MVP — In 1971 Alan Page became the first defensive player to be named the Most Valuable Player of the National Football League by the Associated Press. Page headed a Vikings defense that held opponents to fewer than 10 points a game.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 08:36:09 AM »
All I want for the draft is a franchise QB and a defense! joecool
min1 stl3

Offline MaryJane

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
My wish is we are able to move down get some more picks and get manziel...but who knows

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 02:06:14 PM »
I will put together a quick mock.  Later rounds I will just pick names for the positions I would go after.

1.8  Anthony Barr, OLB UCLA

2.40 Stephon Truitt, DT Notre Dame  (Might be a bit optimistic at this position.)

3.72 Chris Borland, ILB Wisconsin
3.96 Zach Mettenberger, QB LSU

4.104 Ahmad Dixon, SS Baylor  (Harry plays FS)

5.136 Josh Mauro, DE Stanford

6.168 De'Anthony Thomas, RB Oregon (That Skat back we need).  Although CBS has him rated 6-7 round guy.  Apparently Bulger has him going 23 overall to St. Louis.

7.200 Kevin Norwood, WR Alabama (route runner with reliable hands)

With this draft, of the LBs and DEs.  I would switch to a 3-4 although I am not sure a front 3 of B-Rob, Floyd and Player to be named later would work.  But I would have Barr at SOLB, Borland and Greenway in the middle and Everson on the other side.  No CB?  I would sign a FA.

What do you think?
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline mst3m1

• Adapt to talent
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
Simmion, I could live with that.  I don't think we'll get our QB this year and working on that defense would be a good strategy.   
"Apes don't read philosophy." "Yes they do, Otto. They just don't understand it."

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 04:38:44 PM »
You might be right.  But with only one on the roster as it is.  I think we can expect to draft one somewhere.  I think we can sign Cassel again.  We can also expect to pick up some random dude via rookie free agency that mustered up a 56% 1800 12-9 TD-INT in college and for some reason find some attribute to give him a shot.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline 1hotchev

• Veteran
  • God loves a workin Man
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 12:45:09 AM »
I like it Simmion, my kind of draft. heavy on defense and a 3rd round QB, none of this years QBs  look like that guy but one of the second tear guys would be worth a gamble we need defensive lineman and linebackers that can come in and start.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:02:06 AM by 1hotchev »
PAGE NAMED NFLS MVP — In 1971 Alan Page became the first defensive player to be named the Most Valuable Player of the National Football League by the Associated Press. Page headed a Vikings defense that held opponents to fewer than 10 points a game.

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »
I like it quite a bit too. I wouldn't be disappointed if we did not draft a QB this year, but you make a good point that Ponder is the only one on the roster right now. I also really like the idea of a third day pick on a Sproles-type running back.

I was also curious if anyone thought the Vikings might be interested in Hoyer since Norv got the best out of him. Since he is a few years older than Ponder and coming off an injury, I bet we could get a late draft pick and Hoyer for Ponder. Everyone is just pegging the Browns to draft a QB at 4, so it doesn't seem like many people think Hoyer is the answer there. He could be decent for a few years and give the Vikes the flexibility to look for their franchise QB in the next draft or so versus this one.

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 04:33:21 PM »
I will put together a quick mock.  Later rounds I will just pick names for the positions I would go after.

1.8  Anthony Barr, OLB UCLA

2.40 Stephon Truitt, DT Notre Dame  (Might be a bit optimistic at this position.)

3.72 Chris Borland, ILB Wisconsin
3.96 Zach Mettenberger, QB LSU

4.104 Ahmad Dixon, SS Baylor  (Harry plays FS)

5.136 Josh Mauro, DE Stanford

6.168 De'Anthony Thomas, RB Oregon (That Skat back we need).  Although CBS has him rated 6-7 round guy.  Apparently Bulger has him going 23 overall to St. Louis.

7.200 Kevin Norwood, WR Alabama (route runner with reliable hands)

With this draft, of the LBs and DEs.  I would switch to a 3-4 although I am not sure a front 3 of B-Rob, Floyd and Player to be named later would work.  But I would have Barr at SOLB, Borland and Greenway in the middle and Everson on the other side.  No CB?  I would sign a FA.

What do you think?

I like it too.....at 8 there are 3 guys I'd be very happy with ...tops is Mack the either Barr or Mosley. I think we'd all love it if the DT from ND made it to the 2nd round. If we are going to take a shot at a QB he's the one most worthy. It will be interesting to see what Norv thought of Weeden as he will be available. Not as our starter but as a back up and we trade Ponder away. I really think the Vikings want Cassell back(badly) for chemestry while we concentrate on defense.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 09:21:47 PM »
A long shot.  Is a local kid.  Maybe we trade back to take him.  But Ra'Shede Hageman from the Gophers is a freak.  His only fault is his inconsistency.  He was interviewed today and said he could play any position on the DL.  I have my doubts that this would EVER happen.  But his talent and skill should not be questioned.  When he is on, he was freaking amazing (from a guy who watched every Gopher game).

He fits what Kevin Williams did. Almost to a T.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »
I just wayched Sapp and Bauldy just do a mock draft for the top 10 picks and it was interesting. The first 6 picks went exactly the way I thought they would with Clowney, 3 QB's and 2 tackles. Atlanta took Mack which who I now want at 8 but the pick they made for the Vikings was Watkins at WR. At first I'm thinking like everyone else we have to go defence ...Barr or Mosley. Then if you think about it we have the O-Line and need a few upgrades, we have AD and need a scat back to compliment in the later rounds. We have Jenning and Patterson whom you can run outside, inside slot or where ever and now you add the best WR in the draft. Our offense is now top 5 at skill positions ( not QB).......bring back Cassell and we eventually find a QB next year and we are looking really good. If Watkins slips to 8 I'm liking that move to take him.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 08:35:55 AM »
I saw that too, Hutch.  And I still don't like it.  It's like adding more Italian sausage to plain noodles.  With so much need on defense and Watkins not being that prototypical size I mentioned before.  The AP argument was brought up about Patterson last year too.  He is always used in these arguments it seems when the real addition to help AP is the sauce, and that's a QB.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:38:01 AM by Simmion »

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 08:38:59 AM »
And I know you know that we need a QB.  But Watkins just doesn't do anything for me.  When our defense needs so much help.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 10:36:55 AM »
And I know you know that we need a QB.  But Watkins just doesn't do anything for me.  When our defense needs so much help.

I can't argue with you as it makes so much sense. When it comes to the QB I'm not buying this years class outside of the guy you mentioned as a third round pick which is a nice risk/reward at that time in the draft. I would be very happy with a solid defender too like Mack, Barr or Mosley. FA will tell a lot for us as there will be a few defensive guys the Vikings could target. The biggest plus about Watkins is he's explossive and very talented with great hands and burst. Assuming we get Cassell back we could have AD in the back field taking atleast one extra defender and now you would have 3 guys in Jennings, Watkins and Patterson that a team can only double one of them tops and one is getting a teams 3rd CB in single coverage...run either Watkins or Patterson out of the slot or inside and it's now a total mismatch for us. The addition of Watkins would mean Jennings, Watkins, Patterson a long with Wright and possibly Simpson for depth..throw in Rudolph at TE too.....The other is by adding Watkins you can free up Patterson for more plays in returns, screens, end a rounds even play him out of the back field. Yes we need a QB to get them the ball but with a guy like Cassell short term we could have the best offensive weapons in our divison. You'd have 3 guys that will light you up with single coverage and AD daring them to only put 7 in the box to try and cover them. Get a QB next season  and we could have the 98 Vikings all over again in a year or so with Norv running the offense.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
I totally get the concept.  That would be very formidable and would be an instant impact for sure. But from my view,  there will be a guy rated like that next year.  I like the defensive prospects available in this draft, those who could impact immediately. 

Top guy I think is the guy you listed.  Mack, he just looks NFL.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 03:48:49 PM »
I totally get the concept.  That would be very formidable and would be an instant impact for sure. But from my view,  there will be a guy rated like that next year.  I like the defensive prospects available in this draft, those who could impact immediately. 

Top guy I think is the guy you listed.  Mack, he just looks NFL.

8 should hold many options for us.....realistically one would have to assume the 3 QB's will be gone and the top 2 tackles so that's 5 of the 7 spots in front of us....add in Clowney as there is no way he makes it to us so realistically  that's 6 spots gone and only 1 defensive guy taken. Mack just looks like a Zimmer guy, looking forward to seeing him at the combine along with Barr and Mosley. What I'm curious about and we'll probably never know is when Spielman does his draft board and list best available what order do you have the guys in.....realistically there won't be a QB in the top 8 players but we all know 3 will be gone. I'm curious on how Spielman would  rank the following ......Mack, Watkins, Barr, Mosley ??? Where would you rank them as best available Simmion ..... I know you like Barr, do you put him a head of Mosley or Watkins ?

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
Overall rank would be as follows of those 4 guys.

Mack
Barr
Watkins
Mosley

Watkins is talented, but I can't see him downfield physical play at the NFL level.  He can wow you. But size is the issue for me. 

Same with Mosley, his 233 frame for an NFL MLB seems light and if you make him gain 20 lbs you might lose his natural speed.  I think he has the most natural talent and instincts.  I also heard he is a great leader. Something you want in your mike LB. 

I like Barr because of his size and ability.  But I would only take him if the Vikings were intending on switching to 3-4.  Otherwise, I am sure Mack is off the board cause I think he can play in both 3-4 or 4-3 but is more suited in the 3-4 like Barr. 

If Mack or Bridgewater are on the table I stay put and draft on of them.  If we are switching to 3-4 I do exactly what my mock was.  If I am sticking with 4-3, I strongly consider trading down a few spots and nab Mosley.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 04:33:25 PM »
Overall rank would be as follows of those 4 guys.

Mack
Barr
Watkins
Mosley

Watkins is talented, but I can't see him downfield physical play at the NFL level.  He can wow you. But size is the issue for me. 

Same with Mosley, his 233 frame for an NFL MLB seems light and if you make him gain 20 lbs you might lose his natural speed.  I think he has the most natural talent and instincts.  I also heard he is a great leader. Something you want in your mike LB. 

I like Barr because of his size and ability.  But I would only take him if the Vikings were intending on switching to 3-4.  Otherwise, I am sure Mack is off the board cause I think he can play in both 3-4 or 4-3 but is more suited in the 3-4 like Barr. 

If Mack or Bridgewater are on the table I stay put and draft on of them.  If we are switching to 3-4 I do exactly what my mock was.  If I am sticking with 4-3, I strongly consider trading down a few spots and nab Mosley.

I agree about Barr......If I'm ranking I'd go Mack, Watkins, Barr, Mosley . They say we are staying with 4-3 but going man instead of tampon 2.

Mosley is interesting and what you mentioned about his size for the NFL level. I don't know a lot about him but he sounds like that tweener I really want that can cover/speed and has ball skills like a safety but can tackle like a LB...right now we have no LB that can cover at all. IMO Greenway needs to go.....tackling he's been solid but ify last year but zero covering ability....he's just not worth his contract...not even close. It would be amazing if Mack was there.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »
They say we are staying with 4-3 but going man instead of tampon 2.

Tampon... haha.  I think you are right.  Since the guys we have are meant for that (Xavier is a man coverage guy).  I don't think Zimmer would be smart to switch everything in his first season. Get your feet wet.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »
If you hit on Barr, you get James Harrison for 10 years.  If you miss. You get Aaron Curry.  The only thing making it slant good or bad is I think Zimmer would turn Barr into Harrison. Not that I know that much about him.  But everything I have read.  He doesn't let you fail.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »
Yeah....I agree about not switching everything your first year. Going more man coverage is a big enough switch and by adding a number of players and schemes might be all we need to do and stay 4-3. I just want play makers on the team.....whether it's Mack, Barr, Mosley or Watkins they are all play makers......just no QB in round one regardless of who drops to us.......

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 07:15:13 PM »
I will be interesting to see what Zimmer does to the defense both in the draft and FA and also to see what Turner does with the offense. I personally think Turner is more excited about Patterson then Peterson. It will be really interesting to see how much he changes things to his style of offense...The RB has always been a big part of it but the RB must pass catch and block well which AD does not. I really see AD getting a reduced role and reduced touches this year.

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.