Author Topic: VIKINGS 2014 NFL DRAFT  (Read 6954 times)

Offline Simmion

• Star
Re: VIKINGS 2014 NFL DRAFT
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »
Just watched the entire review of Watkins.  I like him,  he isn't a diva WR, yet has the talent to stay with the best.  If he was a couple inches taller and a few pounds heavier, he'd be No. 1 with a bullet.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 07:28:10 PM »
I will be interesting to see what Zimmer does to the defense both in the draft and FA and also to see what Turner does with the offense. I personally think Turner is more excited about Patterson then Peterson. It will be really interesting to see how much he changes things to his style of offense...The RB has always been a big part of it but the RB must pass catch and block well which AD does not. I really see AD getting a reduced role and reduced touches this year.

Hell yeah.  I am jacked.  With his pedigree of fixing problem super athletes.  I can see Aqib Talib here next year.  And man would that help the secondary. 

You bring up a great point, Hutch.  All this talk about getting AP into Turner's offense. 50 catches next year.  And I think he can do it.  Patterson, based on last year's production and variety of play calls, should be a treat for a guy like Turner.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2014, 07:55:48 PM »
Hell yeah.  I am jacked.  With his pedigree of fixing problem super athletes.  I can see Aqib Talib here next year.  And man would that help the secondary. 

You bring up a great point, Hutch.  All this talk about getting AP into Turner's offense. 50 catches next year.  And I think he can do it.  Patterson, based on last year's production and variety of play calls, should be a treat for a guy like Turner.

Talib would be a great addition...he did well last year. I like his physical presence and is solid in man coverage. It's been a while that we have had to solid coaches on both sides of the ball and I am as jacked as you to see how it all unfolds.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
Wow, Barr only did 15 reps on bench.  He has some crazy long arms, but that is the lowest so far from the LBs.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 04:47:36 PM »
Wow, Barr only did 15 reps on bench.  He has some crazy long arms, but that is the lowest so far from the LBs.

Yeah.....I guess he was a RB just 2 years ago and by the sounds of it he's not going to be a very good fit for a 4-3 defense and a huge risk at 8 if you are going to try and develope him. Hopefully Mack slides to us but no holding my breathe. Is Clowney trying to kill his draft stock ??? The guy is a freak running un 4.5 but low in bench press so strength is an issue but more so is the guys flippin attitude. He's a freak athelete but a huge risk...I wouldn't be surprised if he slide to us at 8 and I'd still be leary drafting him. For me it's still Mack or Watkins at 8 or trade down for Mosley.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 08:38:03 PM »
To go with that, CB Brock Vereen of the Gophers put up 25 reps in the bench.  He is a guy I would love to sign as a rookie FA.  3rd team all Big Ten, he played with tons of energy and emotion and was often tested by KFAN when seeking advice on the combine.  He was very smart when it came to football recognition, I am a big fan of his.  Have him replace the current Gopher Marcus Sherels as a back up. 

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:04 PM »
To go with that, CB Brock Vereen of the Gophers put up 25 reps in the bench.  He is a guy I would love to sign as a rookie FA.  3rd team all Big Ten, he played with tons of energy and emotion and was often tested by KFAN when seeking advice on the combine.  He was very smart when it came to football recognition, I am a big fan of his.  Have him replace the current Gopher Marcus Sherels as a back up. 

Sorry, don't know much about him... he's more of a back up/situational player ?

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 09:41:16 PM »
I only got to see a few games last year and in bars, but was Sherels terrible in the secondary? It seemed like his punt return ability makes him well worth a roster spot if he can be at least a serviceable dime back.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 08:20:16 AM »
Sorry, don't know much about him... he's more of a back up/situational player ?

I wouldn't expect many to do unless you watched Gopher football.  He would be a back up in the NFL. I just love his energy.

Ven, Sherels was terrible in the secondary, IMO.  I mean, he made every tackle, but he let in almost every pass.  And he was used much more than he should have been (Fraizer loyalty?).  I have been told he has great work ethic.  He was a good PR, but I think you can find others to fill that roll and be better on the defensive or offensive side of the ball.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »
Dennard CB out of MSU runs a 4.42.  Nice!

Offline MaryJane

• Starter
  • 😜I Ain't Got No Worries😜
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 05:36:20 AM »
ima sit back and  baby1 this year...i got nothin
virginia1 atl3 duke1 min1

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 06:23:37 PM »
I think that Houston takes Clowney. I know he is a bit of a risk, but I feel like a new head coach that just got what he did out of Penn State is going to have some confidence that he can get players that age to give their all. Pairing him with Watt would be ridiculous. They'd dominate the lines in Jax and Tennessee and probably Indy too.

St. Louis takes one of the tackles. Jax takes Teddy B. Cleveland takes Manziel. Oakland takes Watkins because he's a receiver, but one that will actually pan out. Atlanta takes the other top tackle that St. Louis doesn't take. I could maybe see them making a play for Clowney if Houston doesn't take him though.

I'm really not sure about Tampa. But either Mack or Bortles would be available in this scenario. Personally I don't want a QB with the 8th pick, so I'd be great trading back to the mid-teens for either a 2nd this year or a 2015 1st so that we have some ammo to move around for a QB next year if we want.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »
I think you are right with Houston taking Clowney (that team would be sick, especially with sack artist Whitney Mercilus moving to WLB instead of DE)  and with passing on Bortles at 8.  That could be a perfect storm for the Vikings.  They either get Mack who I see as the top overall guy.  Or get teams frothing at the mouth for the hype that is Bortles and find some great trading partners.  Lovie Smith being the HC at TB.  I can see him going Mack being him a defensive guy.  I personally would have Mack then trading back Bortles.  But I would love the situation you just put forth.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »
I think that Houston takes Clowney. I know he is a bit of a risk, but I feel like a new head coach that just got what he did out of Penn State is going to have some confidence that he can get players that age to give their all. Pairing him with Watt would be ridiculous. They'd dominate the lines in Jax and Tennessee and probably Indy too.

St. Louis takes one of the tackles. Jax takes Teddy B. Cleveland takes Manziel. Oakland takes Watkins because he's a receiver, but one that will actually pan out. Atlanta takes the other top tackle that St. Louis doesn't take. I could maybe see them making a play for Clowney if Houston doesn't take him though.

I'm really not sure about Tampa. But either Mack or Bortles would be available in this scenario. Personally I don't want a QB with the 8th pick, so I'd be great trading back to the mid-teens for either a 2nd this year or a 2015 1st so that we have some ammo to move around for a QB next year if we want.

If we can trade back and get a 1st for next year that would be the ideal move IMO. I like your draft picks for the first 7.....I'm close to what you have.....

Houston..................Clowney...........Unless they trade you just can't pass on him (even though I might because of attitude)  Houston will look to trade this pick if they can

Rams......one of the top tackles......They will look to trade too but in the end they need a tackle and it's the safest of all the picks

Jags.......here's where it gets interesting...I think Bridgewater will be the pick but it"ll be a toss up for Manzeil

Browns.....Fans want Watkins but they say the hire ups love Manzeil...I believe it'll be one of the QB's

Raiders.....the 3rd QB remaining will be thier selection....they have been QB starved for so long they take anyone of the 3 top rated

Atlanta .........They go tackle....huge need and again safest pick

The Bucks IMO take either Mack or Watkins

Vikings......If mack some how slides it's a no brainer, if he doesn't I believe they try and trade back for Mosley nut if the can't the pick will be Watkins..

FA will tell a lot for all of these teams but history tells us anything then 3 QB's and 2 tackles will be gone especially since 4 teams need a QB and 2 teams need a tackle.

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 07:55:54 PM »
It doesn't look like the Titans will franchise Alterraun Varner... he would be a great start to FA. As far as #8...if Barr or Mack are there its an easy choice.. if not, trade down and collect picks. I'm all for Mettenberger in the 3rd however I think he goes middle to early 2nd...had it not been for the injury, he's in the mix for 1st round.  Just glancing at the combine results, it seems there are many 2-4th round grades. Spielman better do his homework...chit.. facepalm
"I, too, once dabbled in Pacifism."

"In Heaven, there is no beer,  that's why we drink it here"
iowa1 chc3 chi4 min1 alabama1 We love you RJ!

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »
I will put together a quick mock.  Later rounds I will just pick names for the positions I would go after.

1.8  Anthony Barr, OLB UCLA

2.40 Stephon Truitt, DT Notre Dame  (Might be a bit optimistic at this position.)

3.72 Chris Borland, ILB Wisconsin
3.96 Zach Mettenberger, QB LSU

4.104 Ahmad Dixon, SS Baylor  (Harry plays FS)

5.136 Josh Mauro, DE Stanford

6.168 De'Anthony Thomas, RB Oregon (That Skat back we need).  Although CBS has him rated 6-7 round guy.  Apparently Bulger has him going 23 overall to St. Louis.

7.200 Kevin Norwood, WR Alabama (route runner with reliable hands)

With this draft, of the LBs and DEs.  I would switch to a 3-4 although I am not sure a front 3 of B-Rob, Floyd and Player to be named later would work.  But I would have Barr at SOLB, Borland and Greenway in the middle and Everson on the other side.  No CB?  I would sign a FA.

What do you think?

I like this Simmion. I think I would prefer Mack over Barr, but I would be happy with either of them. I would probably swap your 3rd round picks around. I would also be happy if they went with McCarron in the 3rd instead of Mettenberger. In an article that I read that asked SEC defenders who the best QB they played against was a majority of them said McCarron, but with Mettenberger being hurt last year he could be a steal.
min1 stl3

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2014, 10:02:39 AM »
I like this Simmion. I think I would prefer Mack over Barr, but I would be happy with either of them. I would probably swap your 3rd round picks around. I would also be happy if they went with McCarron in the 3rd instead of Mettenberger. In an article that I read that asked SEC defenders who the best QB they played against was a majority of them said McCarron, but with Mettenberger being hurt last year he could be a steal.

Mack is the guy I want to draft the most.  But I think he will be gone which is why I took Barr there.   I get nervous with QBs from unbelievable teams.  McCarron could be the real deal, but those guys get so much help from around them its hard for me to get on the bandwagon

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 07:49:56 AM »
They say this is going to be one of the best drafts ever for depth at many positions....guys that will be drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds that compare to 2nd round talents form previous years. There are other positions that might not have depth but have top end talent .....tackle is one where they were saying the top 2 guys or even the top 3 this year are better than the top guy taken last year. The DB's don't have the top end guys but they fall into guys in the 4th round having 2nd round grades. This is where in my opinion ....barring certain FA pick ups........we should be leaning to drafting in certain rounds.

Round  1..............LB....whether we take one at 8 or trade back the best ones will be gone in the first 15 or so picks and then it really drops off.....Mack, Mosley or Barr (assuming he fits our schemes)

Round 2..............This is where I see us trading back unless certain players fall to us. DB should be the play here as there should be a few that will have first round grades being drafted in the first half of the 2nd round....other option is top end DT drops.

Round 3 (1st pick)..........depending on who falls either DB again or OG...good depth should allow us to get a solid starter at either position.

Round 3 (2nd pick) ........This is the pick IMO that should be real interesting....with so much talent in a few positions we could get a solid 2nd round talent or even first because of previous injury/off field issues...this is the pick for risk/reward IMO .........depending on FA and how our defense is shaping up this is where we could get a steel at WR or DB if we addressed OG at previous pick.

Round 4 ........this pick IMO could be anyone...same as previous pick....the best available could be real interesting here...whether it's a QB that has potential that has fallen, a bigger safety/LB tweener that falls....these 2 picks at the end of the 3rd and 4th are the ones I really want to see and the ones IMO we have to hit on.

By the time we pick in the 4th round there will still be some players with high 2nd round grades still on the board...hopefully we take advantage of these pick and what we need to get done in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »
Ok if the Texans don't take Clowney they should have their heads examined. Combined with JJ Watt and you really have what will be a dominant front line for 8 years. They will make the secondary better whoever they employ. They will bring in a free agent to play QB, possibly Cassel, or McKown from the Bears.

I expect the Vikings to try to move up or down depending on the QB situation that plays out in front of them. I know Bortels improved his status at the combine, but I'm just not sold on the guy. Don't ask me, but I see him, Carr, and McCarron in the same light.  Bridgewater or Manzeil are the only 2 QBs I'd consider in the 1st round.

The guy I really like this draft is DT Louis Nix out of Notre Dame. This does a couple things for the Vikings. It allows them to trade back in the 1st round to get a pick or two later like Spielman has spoken of. It also solidifies the 0 technique for a decade. This guy is pro ready today. He's a better athlete than most imagine too. Should Sharrif pan out the Vikings DTs are solid for a long time.

The Vikings will take a QB in the draft, probably in the 2nd or 3rd round. I like Aaron Murray out of Georgia. He's not 6'5", but he does have a nice arm and he will need time to heal after ACL surgery. He can sit and learn for a season under whomever the Vikings employ at the position. I can see him sliding to the 3rd round or late in the 2nd and believe that he may be the answer at a budget price.

My strategy is to move back in the 1st round. Unless there's a CB that just can't be passed up, but I don't see that here. Take Nix and the extra picks. Everyone is saying how deep the draft is so that helps the Vikings where they are positioned in the 2-5th rounds for prospective trades. Draft Murray in the late 2nd or early 3rd. Draft defense throughout after the QB selection.

Somehow I'd like for Allen to stay around with the Vikings, but a contender will somehow offer him too much. Everyone wants the Vikings to keep Griffen except me. I still don't see why he is given so much run. He's a situational player. He's always fresh and like the 2nd string RBs on good teams shows out when the defense relaxes. My question is why can't he be on the field all the time IF he's that good?

Better sign some more and better LBs this free agent period and a quality SS, or we can expect the Vikings to be just as bad this coming season. There aren't enough CBs in the world it would seem for this squad either. "More and Better" is what I'm calling my mantra this off season. This is especially true on the defensive side of the ball.

SKOL Brother!
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
Somehow I'd like for Allen to stay around with the Vikings, but a contender will somehow offer him too much. Everyone wants the Vikings to keep Griffen except me. I still don't see why he is given so much run. He's a situational player. He's always fresh and like the 2nd string RBs on good teams shows out when the defense relaxes. My question is why can't he be on the field all the time IF he's that good?

He can be on the field all the time, but he wasn't because Frazier had a hardon for Robison and Allen. When Robison was hurt at the end of 2012, Griffen came in and just dominated when he got to consistently play and get into a groove. Rushing the passer is all about taking your shots. You get an offensive lineman into a groove and then you throw something else at them to try and get around them. Sure when he just goes in situationally, the offensive lineman doesn't have much of a bead on him either, but the way he was played didn't give him the chance to set a lineman up and then use that against him.

With the cap just flying upwards, I think the Vikings could make two major splashes. I really like the Verner kid from Tennesse at CB, and I kinda hope they make a run at Roger Saffold for our LG position. He has said he wants to play on the left side, guard or tackle, and playing between two potential pro-bowlers with AD making you look good has to be enticing.

I'm all aboard with trading back to the late teens and trying to land Nix out of ND. I mentioned that a few weeks ago, but the only thing that worries me is not getting enough in return. Last year the Rams traded from 16 up to 8 to take Tavon Austin. It was with the Bills. The Bills gained a second rounder, but they also flipped spots in the third round. I'm not to excited about moving back eight spots in two of the first three rounds, but picking up the extra second and still landing Nix would be huge. And if this draft is as deep as many think it is, then maybe the eight spots in the third wouldn't be a huge deal. 

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2014, 05:55:07 PM »
One thing to remember is the draft may be deep but there is really only about 10 or so players rated as elite. That 8th pick should have a solid value to it because one way or another the best LB in Mack, the best WR in Watkins or an elite Tackle will still be there. There may be depth which is great in rounds 3 and 4 but there is a big drop off from 8 to 14 or higher. There is no way IMO you trade that pick unless some team pays big like this and next years 1st. If not take best available as long as it considered an elite talent and trade back in the 2nd round 7 or 8 spots and maybe pick up a 4th where there should still be some solid starting talent.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »
Ok if the Texans don't take Clowney they should have their heads examined. Combined with JJ Watt and you really have what will be a dominant front line for 8 years. They will make the secondary better whoever they employ. They will bring in a free agent to play QB, possibly Cassel, or McKown from the Bears.

I expect the Vikings to try to move up or down depending on the QB situation that plays out in front of them. I know Bortels improved his status at the combine, but I'm just not sold on the guy. Don't ask me, but I see him, Carr, and McCarron in the same light.  Bridgewater or Manzeil are the only 2 QBs I'd consider in the 1st round.

The guy I really like this draft is DT Louis Nix out of Notre Dame. This does a couple things for the Vikings. It allows them to trade back in the 1st round to get a pick or two later like Spielman has spoken of. It also solidifies the 0 technique for a decade. This guy is pro ready today. He's a better athlete than most imagine too. Should Sharrif pan out the Vikings DTs are solid for a long time.

The Vikings will take a QB in the draft, probably in the 2nd or 3rd round. I like Aaron Murray out of Georgia. He's not 6'5", but he does have a nice arm and he will need time to heal after ACL surgery. He can sit and learn for a season under whomever the Vikings employ at the position. I can see him sliding to the 3rd round or late in the 2nd and believe that he may be the answer at a budget price.

My strategy is to move back in the 1st round. Unless there's a CB that just can't be passed up, but I don't see that here. Take Nix and the extra picks. Everyone is saying how deep the draft is so that helps the Vikings where they are positioned in the 2-5th rounds for prospective trades. Draft Murray in the late 2nd or early 3rd. Draft defense throughout after the QB selection.

Better sign some more and better LBs this free agent period and a quality SS, or we can expect the Vikings to be just as bad this coming season. There aren't enough CBs in the world it would seem for this squad either. "More and Better" is what I'm calling my mantra this off season. This is especially true on the defensive side of the ball.

SKOL Brother!

This is where I think this draft is going to be so much fun to watch......we have so many needs and we all have opinions that will vary on the best way to fill them. Personally I don't see the Vikings moving up for any QB in this draft.....especially after the Ponder mess that screwed us for a few years already. None of the 3 are worth an 8th pick IMO or a Franchise QB. Personally I see the team trying to get Cassel and if that doesn't work I honestly see the team starting Ponder for another season...still expect them to draft a QB but not until the 3rd or 4th round. FA will tell a lot for us and the 7 teams in front of us so until then I'm sure we will all change our opinions a few times. If the team did trade back for a guy like Nix you could probably go back to 19th as the mocks I've seen have him going 20th or later. If we do that we better be getting the teams next years number 1 and then some. No way we go back 11 spots or so for only a 2nd.

Offline DJ Launch

• Veteran
  • We are not as strong as our father.
  • Pickems Record: 14/10
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »
Much appreciated post.
The surface can be more than just a rock that is grist for the department to be the point kite. Come on people share makes the ditch.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2014, 09:58:36 AM »
Hutch they won't get some teams #1 pick next year by moving back. That's just not happening...I could see them dealing with the Rams should they covet someone dearly. They have the #2 and #13 and MAYBE the Vikings drop there? Of course the Rams have to want a guy really bad...That would probably get them an OT and Watkins the best WR in the draft. Buffalo is probably taking him at #9?

What I'd like is trade the #8 pick for the Rams #13. The Rams also give the Vikings pick #40 and #106...The Vikings would then have 8 picks in the top 140 of this draft. They would be picks 13, 40, 44, 72, 96, 104, 106, 136...If Slick Rick can't do something with those then you'll know for sure I'm right in my assumption of the chump...There's a QB in that bushel of picks and plenty of help for the defense. Face it the Vikings are in total rebuild again for the 2nd time in 4 season...Thanks Rick!
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
The Rams gave up less last season to move up from 16 to 8 so there is no way we get their 2nd and 4th to only move up 5 spots. Last season they gave up a 2nd and 7th to swap 1st AND 3rd round picks. So they got to move up in two rounds. I want them to trade back too but it might be tough.

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.