Author Topic: Razorbacks Home Win Streak  (Read 91 times)

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
  • John 14: 1-14
Razorbacks Home Win Streak
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »
Well, Arkansas is closing in on a 20 game win streak at Bud Walton Arena.  They haven't played anyone tough at home so far this season (best win being against Clemson which is good for them) and their best wins in this streak last year being against Florida and Kentucky.  Those two teams will be their first home challenges this season in early-mid January.  They have two losses, both of which were in the Maui Invitational.  Being tough at home is good, but we'll see if they can improve on their huge problem last season, being a disaster on the road. 

It's frustrating after seeing them win a championship and have some more good seasons in the 90's seeing them play mediocre ball at best since then.  When Mike Anderson took over, delusional fans came out of the woodwork who thought they'd be getting back towards the top within no time.  I knew better.  It is nice that he's coaching, though, and hopefully he'll eventually have them playing as well as he ended up having Mizzou play, who knows.

I know what my point was in typing this thread, talking about Hog basketball.  I don't know as far as responses go, though.  Maybe a question.  What do you non-Razorbackers think about their chances of having a good season?  Outside opinions help give more insight.  I'm honestly unsure.
“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” -Aquinas

Offline Coach

• Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Go Tigers Go
Re: Razorbacks Home Win Streak
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:33:36 PM »
The only thing I know about the Razorbacks and Mike Anderson, is they like to press the entire game. Or "40 minutes of hell" as they say. While it produces a lot of turnovers it also opens you up to easy baskets and can wear those kids out in the long run.

Haven't seen anything but highlight clips this season, so I couldn't guess at how well they will fare in the SEC race. They did give the Zags a good game though.
duke1 memphis1  wsh1  wsh2  bal3

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
  • Sesquipedalophobia is just mean.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:02:44 AM »
I haven't seen any Arkansas highlights either.  They're flying under the radar right now, I guess.

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 04:50:20 PM »
They definitely are nowhere close to the way Nolan Richardson had them playing the "40 minutes of hell" defense way back in the day.  Oh well, maybe it'll eventually happen.  I'm more worried about their horrible road play than anything.
“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” -Aquinas

Offline Coach

• Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Go Tigers Go
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 06:24:16 PM »
Well, it's tough to play on the road in College hoops. Certainly tougher to get a win on the road in College than the NBA.

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 03:25:18 PM »
Well, it's tough to play on the road in College hoops. Certainly tougher to get a win on the road in College than the NBA.

I agree 100%.  I'm glad you mentioned that, because I've had that argument with people before.  They usually say it's tougher in the NBA because the players/teams are better, but that's the case when you're playing against them at home, too.  College fans really get into it, a lot louder than at NBA games.

Offline Coach

• Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Go Tigers Go
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 01:43:04 PM »
I agree 100%.  I'm glad you mentioned that, because I've had that argument with people before.  They usually say it's tougher in the NBA because the players/teams are better, but that's the case when you're playing against them at home, too.  College fans really get into it, a lot louder than at NBA games.

Exactly! It's not even close. The only other game that would rival the home court advantage in College hoops, is Football. College or pros.

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:39:20 PM »
I think this should be the year we see the Razorbacks take a marked step forward.  Why?
Well, it's Anderson's 3rd season as head coach.
Any upperclassman (who isn't a transfer) will be going into their 3rd year of playing his system, and more importantly, imo, he's had two full years of recruiting the players he wants for his style/system. 
I know, when they fired Pelphrey :(, he had a great recruiting class coming in, and I don't know how many of those guys may have decided to play elsewhere, but even if they all stayed, Anderson didn't choose them, and who knows how well they fit into what he wants.

I'm waiting for South Carolina to get pretty good, too, although it may take another season, since this will only be Martin's 2nd.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
  • Sesquipedalophobia is just mean.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 08:55:33 AM »
I'm waiting for South Carolina to get pretty good, too
I hope that's not an indication of the apocalypse.

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
Definitely coachK and Cali, I know we discussed it briefly before, but I'm still glad to know there's someone else who didn't agree with getting rid of Pelphrey when they did.  It seems I've blasphemed when I say that near any other Arkansas fan.  I appreciate your thoughts, too.  I'm hoping that is the case.  I guess it's easier for me to not get my hopes up just because of what I'm used to with them, but hopefully you're right! 

I wish I could remember where now, I saw an article about S. Carolina and the columnist thinks they could turn some heads in the tournament within the next couple of seasons because of Martin.  I like seeing every team in the conference do well, especially against tougher non-conference opponents, in basketball and football.  A lot of idiots say that's being part of the whole Team SEC thing.  It's nothing to do with who I'm a fan of, the better the conference is, the more it helps your team do better by having to play at a higher level, and in turn it makes your team look better.

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 02:33:02 PM »
Well that sucked.  Florida just ended the home win streak for the Hogs beating them 84-82 in OT. 

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 05:22:53 PM »
Well, it's a bummer Kentucky couldn't end it for the hogs, but oh well.
Who knows if the Cats will even win, tonight.
However, in anticipation of the game, I'd like to send this one out to hogfan, with my love...

memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline HogfaninTexas

• Star
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 11:18:49 PM »
LMAO Cali, love that.  It's too funny for anyone to be offended by it.  Very well played.  Thanks again for reminding me about it, though I'm ashamed I didn't get home and remember right off the bat.  That was crazy, a typical Arkansas type of crazy game, though usually they wouldn't be on the winning end against a team like Kentucky.  I'm sorry it had to be your team.  I have no doubt that your boys in blue will be right back to their winning ways... and Arkansas will still be trying to win on the road.  $%#*!!!

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 11:42:10 PM »
Yeah, at least the Cats won at Vandy...that's some consolation.
Memorial Gym is even more of a bitch than your place in Fayetteville.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1