Author Topic: 2014 Vikings head coach  (Read 2310 times)

Offline poorbackslider

• Backup
2014 Vikings head coach
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:45:35 AM »
All HC talking here.  Who are they talking to?  Who do you want?  Who do you not want?

I read they are talking to Jack Del Rio this morning.
michigan1

"I wanna be a better man but I've got a short attention span" - Will Kimbrough

"If my thought dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine" - Bob Dylan

"F*** em if they can't take a joke" - Billy Parker

Offline Simmion

• Star
Re: 2014 Vikings head coach
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:59:33 AM »
All HC talking here.  Who are they talking to?  Who do you want?  Who do you not want?

I read they are talking to Jack Del Rio this morning.

Someone should tell the Vikings FO that Manning is the OC over there.  I don't know who I want, but I think OC guys under people like Manning get too much credit.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Arasmis

• NFC North Champions 4 years running: Green Bay Packers!
  • Battle God
  • Star
  • Is it Football season yet?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:35:51 AM »
The Vikings reached out to O'Brien weeks ago, as reported at the time, have tried to gauge the interest of UCLA coach Jim Mora (not happening) and are very interested in Denver's young offensive coordinator Adam Gase, sources said. The idea of working another year on a great staff and working with Peyton Manning is very appealing to Gase, with 2015 more of the expected time frame for him to pursue head coaching jobs, sources said. Plus, it would take a pretty strong commitment from a team to lure him from what is an outstanding situation in Denver. In the past the Vikings have been very frugal with coaching budgets.

via CBSsports this morning

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:25:54 AM »
I fully expect the Vikings to interview a large number of canidates for the HC job.....partly to get some ideas for the coordinators jobs . Fully expect the Vikings to get to know a few of these guys and offer them Dc or OC positions down the road should they not get HC offers. Personally I want a offensive mind HC and bring in a quality DC that can be left on his own to bring in a new defense.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
CBS said Vikings want a "College HC".  Bill O'Brien I fear would be just like Josh McDaniel.  Just like the Broncos OC would be.  Gets money because of how good Manning or Brady plays.  I would be open to a college HC, but would hope they interview like 20 of them.  Like Hutch expects.

Vikings play by play guy Paul Allen has a love fest for Mike Priefer ST coach.  I don't know, I looked at his history, nothing by Special Teams.  I don't know either way if that is a smart idea. But he would demand perfection thats for sure.  I just don't know if he would know what QB would be perfect.  Who knows.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline poorbackslider

• Backup
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:26:04 AM »
They have requested to interview Darrell Bevel I think.  Was he that bad?  He seemed to figure out how to use Harvin even though he was under that genius Childress.
michigan1

"I wanna be a better man but I've got a short attention span" - Will Kimbrough

"If my thought dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine" - Bob Dylan

"F*** em if they can't take a joke" - Billy Parker

Offline CMC18V

• Hates stupid people!!!
  • Star
  • I see what you did there!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 08:37:33 AM »
I watched Seattle enough to know he is clueless. They have Lynch and totally misused him. I would hate for AD to have to play for him.
If someone tells you they don't like fighting in hockey every other word out of their mouth might be a lie.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »
I don't know why Bevell is on the list when he was our OC for 4 years and THE most boring offense I have ever seen.  We let the guy go for crying out loud.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 08:06:22 PM »
Saw they are interviewing defensive coordinator for the Browns Ray Horton.  I love it due to his extensive work with secondary and have success.  He was the Cardinals defensive coordinator in '11 and '12.  A team that was vastly overrated defensively IMO, but it was his schemes that seemed to carry them.

Also interviewing Bowles, DC for the cardinals.  Seems like a common thread.  Interviewing DCs.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 08:35:24 PM »
Ray Horton also looks like a bad ass.

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »
Seattle's DC is on the list too...don't think they can interview him until next week though.
"I, too, once dabbled in Pacifism."

"In Heaven, there is no beer,  that's why we drink it here"
iowa1 chc3 chi4 min1 alabama1 We love you RJ!

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »
Another common theme between all those defensive coordinators is a 3-4 scheme. I am not totally opposed to the 3-4. Anything is better than watching good QB's dissect a cover-2 every game, every season. I would be real excited to see what Horton or Bowles could do with Xavier Rhodes and Harrison Smith.

Also, I think Everson Griffen would be excited to resign with the Vikings and switch to a rushing OLB. I think he'd be a stud at that position. Not sure if Robison would stay at DE or move to OLB. I think Sharrif Floyd could play at the other end position. The Vikings would need to get a big guy for the middle like Haloti Ngata or Vince Wilfork. It seems like Greenway would play better as a 3-4 ILB anyway. He sucks in coverage.

I was leaning towards wanting an offensive minded head coach, but now I kinda want a defensive guy again that can be a good coach and help revamp the defense. Then get a good young offensive coordinator that can work real close with a rookie QB and new QB coach so we aren't going through all this again in 3-4 years.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 06:19:42 PM »
Another common theme between all those defensive coordinators is a 3-4 scheme. I am not totally opposed to the 3-4. Anything is better than watching good QB's dissect a cover-2 every game, every season. I would be real excited to see what Horton or Bowles could do with Xavier Rhodes and Harrison Smith.

Also, I think Everson Griffen would be excited to resign with the Vikings and switch to a rushing OLB. I think he'd be a stud at that position. Not sure if Robison would stay at DE or move to OLB. I think Sharrif Floyd could play at the other end position. The Vikings would need to get a big guy for the middle like Haloti Ngata or Vince Wilfork. It seems like Greenway would play better as a 3-4 ILB anyway. He sucks in coverage.

I was leaning towards wanting an offensive minded head coach, but now I kinda want a defensive guy again that can be a good coach and help revamp the defense. Then get a good young offensive coordinator that can work real close with a rookie QB and new QB coach so we aren't going through all this again in 3-4 years.

It will be real interesting....what I like is we have a few guys that can play both 3-4 or 4-3 and that could be huge in certain games with the versatility. Either way we need to ditch the tampa 2. I mentioned in the other thread that Wade Phillips was just released and would make a great DC....Just give him the defense and let he him do his thing.......Regarding personal I no matter what way we go I just don't see Chad G. being with the team unless he takes a huge pay cut.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 02:55:51 PM »
Appears Bill Parcels joiced his support for Mike Zimmer while he and Zygi talked.  They are apparently good buds.

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »
Appears Bill Parcels joiced his support for Mike Zimmer while he and Zygi talked.  They are apparently good buds.
Zimmer would be a good hire... but he probably stays in Cinci...Vikes are interviewing Gruden...

Jay Gruden...for some reason, I think he ends up our guy... compared to Tennessee and the Skins, we still have more offensive potential, even with no QB...
"I, too, once dabbled in Pacifism."

"In Heaven, there is no beer,  that's why we drink it here"
iowa1 chc3 chi4 min1 alabama1 We love you RJ!

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 08:59:44 AM »
Jay Gruden is a Redskin.  When it comes to QBs apparently he talked the Bengals into Andy Dalton, which I am indifferent on I guess.  Loves to pass, but doesn't seem to have the clutch in the playoffs.

I am thinking Mike Zimmer for the sole purpose that Parcels voiced his support. 

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 11:09:16 AM »
Whomever they pick please just let them coach and take some chances to win games.....too many times 1st time HC play way too conservative. I want someone with some balls that isn't afraid to make a gutsy call trying to win a game or force your will on a team......They get more concerned about the media ripping them apart if it doesn't work out......your a hero if it does or a zero if it doesn't. That game where the pats went for it on 4th and 2 at there own 30.....that took balls and everyone ripped the coach a new one when it failed. had it worked it would have just added to his legacy.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »
Well...if you believe the reports on NFL network......the vikings have2 of the 3 finalists for the HC job...Zimmer and Bowles.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 03:13:55 PM »
Well...if you believe the reports on NFL network......the vikings have2 of the 3 finalists for the HC job...Zimmer and Bowles.

I keep hearing that Bowles "blew them away" in the interview.  I haven't heard anyone else say he is destined to be a HC.  I don't hear anything about him.  I hear a lot of Zimmer that he is ideal.

I just want to know. 

It will end up being that Gase guy from Denver and just make me throw up my hands.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »
I keep hearing that Bowles "blew them away" in the interview.  I haven't heard anyone else say he is destined to be a HC.  I don't hear anything about him.  I hear a lot of Zimmer that he is ideal.

I just want to know. 

It will end up being that Gase guy from Denver and just make me throw up my hands.

be interesting to see who the 3rd is.....Unless Denver gets knocked out he won't be interviewing any time soon so you may be in luck Simmion......i'd be happy with either of the two mentioned so far and a few others but really think it's going to be bigger we hit on the coordinator positions

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 08:01:21 PM »
I keep hearing that Spielman is in Charlotte and wants to interview Greg Roman (49ers O-cord) this weekend. Seems unlikely that the 49ers would let a coordinator go interview the day before a div. playoff game, but who knows.

I would be happy with him too, or Zimmer. Roman has been around Hardbaugh at Stanford and San Fran. They have a hard-nosed, down-the-field run game, but he also designed an offense for Kap. I think he'd be a good head coach that could pair up with a new QB and do lots of good stuff for a long time.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 07:33:48 AM »
Just my opinion but if the they go with a defensive minded HC I think Musgrave will be back again for atleast one more year anyway...if they go offensive HC then they are all gone.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 11:04:51 AM »
Mike Zimmer it is.  Word on the street is he wants Norv Turner as OC.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 11:24:43 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't wanting him, but Skol Vikings let's go!
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline 1hotchev

• Veteran
  • God loves a workin Man
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 01:03:08 PM »
I think Zimmer is a good choice if he can get a top offensive co. like Norv Turner, Kubiak, somebody good.  did you all see kipers mock draft today ?Bridgewater going to Vikes at 8. I can't see it, it's never that easy.
PAGE NAMED NFLS MVP — In 1971 Alan Page became the first defensive player to be named the Most Valuable Player of the National Football League by the Associated Press. Page headed a Vikings defense that held opponents to fewer than 10 points a game.

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.