Author Topic: 2014 Vikings head coach  (Read 2944 times)

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
Re: 2014 Vikings head coach
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 01:41:08 PM »
With the Zimmer hire I think the Vikings are going to draft for defense and get a QB later. Maybe A.J. McCarron or Derek Carr in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Do you think Clowney could fall to #8? I can hope can't I?
min1 stl3

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 01:52:39 PM »
 Zimmer is a good coach, I think you Vikings fans will like him. I was pissed when Parcells ran him out of Dallas. He'll be tough on the players too. He'll bring an OC that will be responsible for the QB situation. 
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 03:38:55 PM »
Mike Zimmer it is.  Word on the street is he wants Norv Turner as OC.

Norv Turner would be a solid OC.......Hope this happens

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 03:46:11 PM »
With the Zimmer hire I think the Vikings are going to draft for defense and get a QB later. Maybe A.J. McCarron or Derek Carr in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Do you think Clowney could fall to #8? I can hope can't I?

Hope you are right about passing on a QB.....Carr will be gone in the first and some actually have us taking him at 8 .....waste.....Clowney will be gone by the first 2 picks imo .....Barr on the other hand could be there at 8 and he's vesatile to play up or down.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 05:38:07 PM »
This hire leaves us with a valuable asset.  That we can draft ANY freaking player we want regardless of what scheme they played in college.  So instead of passing on a sure talent like Barr because he didn't fit the 4-3 cover two.  We can take him if we want because Zimmer has experience with 4-3 and 3-4 and hybrids.  Very nice.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »
This hire leaves us with a valuable asset.  That we can draft ANY freaking player we want regardless of what scheme they played in college.  So instead of passing on a sure talent like Barr because he didn't fit the 4-3 cover two.  We can take him if we want because Zimmer has experience with 4-3 and 3-4 and hybrids.  Very nice.

Exactly......The fact we can run a number of schemes and actually game plan for each game instead of running the same predictable crap every week will be huge. I really hope Barr falls to us.

What do you think of Norv Turner for OC Simmion ? 

I'm a huge fan of his as he stretches the field vertically which helps out the run game a lot. AD was quoted as saying we need to be more balanced and not so predictable so even he gets it........The one think in previous Turner offenses id his RB's has to be solid pass catchers and blockers......which is AD is average at best. Be nice if we could keep both AD and Gerhart and split the carries IMO. I'm getting excited we could get Turner as an OC.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 07:32:59 PM »
Be interesting to see who Zimmer wants for DC......

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »
Be interesting to see who Zimmer wants for DC......

Only thing I heard was him maybe taking the LB coach at Cincy.  Who did wonders coaching up the undrafted kid Burfcit. Or whatever his name is.  I think he takes a guy he is familiar with.

As far as Norv Turner.  I am ALLL about it.  He had his best years at SD when he had a great RB in Tomlinson.  And he also had Philip Rivers putting up some of his best numbers during those years.  Which means a balanced offense who knows how to use the best RB in the NFL AND pass the ball.  If Zimmer can handle the defense.  Just let Turner go with what we got. I think it might work.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 09:25:07 PM »
Those years I'm talking are 07-09 3 straight playoffs, Norv as HC couldn't close the deal even though they were legit.  When LT was still in his prime he had awesome offensive output.  We need a QB. The most recent mock by Mel Kiper has Johnny going 1. And Teddy falling to us at 8.  Those are the only two names I'd consider.  Bortles is sky rocketing up the charts much like Gabbert did a few years ago.  I trust only those two.  But even then, they are tiny and could be injury risks at the NFL size level.  That's why I think we take LB first, QB in second round. Since Cassel pretty much has the job for the time being and has the ability to lead (not is freaking inconsistant, which Philip Rivers was).

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 09:26:34 PM »
Ok that makes me wonder.... Philip Rivers is a FA.  Ken Wisenhunt was his OC this year.  He takes a QBless job in Tennessee. Norv Turner was his HC during his prime when they made 3 straight playoffs.  Let's start the Philip Rivers watch now.

Offline 1hotchev

• Veteran
  • God loves a workin Man
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 02:29:52 AM »
Ok that makes me wonder.... Philip Rivers is a FA.  Ken Wisenhunt was his OC this year.  He takes a QBless job in Tennessee. Norv Turner was his HC during his prime when they made 3 straight playoffs.  Let's start the Philip Rivers watch now.
I'm all in.
PAGE NAMED NFLS MVP — In 1971 Alan Page became the first defensive player to be named the Most Valuable Player of the National Football League by the Associated Press. Page headed a Vikings defense that held opponents to fewer than 10 points a game.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 06:35:25 AM »

The best red neck QB in the league lol.......I really like Rivers attitude when he plays.....after the season he just had I'd be real surprised if the Chargers don't lock him up....really nice if he was a Viking. One thing if we do get Turner and if the contract is minimal I can see the team offering Freeman a short term deal and let Turner work with him...both him and Cassell could be a nice competition, trade Ponder and go QB next season if need be when the options could be better. With the hiring of Zimmer and the need for a few solid players on defense I see us going defense for the first 2 rounds.

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »
Let's start the Philip Rivers watch now.
stay in reality!
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 08:24:35 AM »
OK...I'm getting real excited.....on the Viking site they say things are real close to getting Norv Turner. This is freaking awesome .........

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 08:38:48 AM »
I am pretty pumped as well.  I know you can't buy an elite coaching staff.  But a big name when we need it most.  Hope it works out.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »
I am pretty pumped as well.  I know you can't buy an elite coaching staff.  But a big name when we need it most.  Hope it works out.

Turner has had success as a OC and HC......Zimmer can just let Turner do his thing and concentrate on the defense....like having two HC's IMO. Better start working on those blocking and pass catching skills AD....

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »
He also used a offense that utilized a great TE.  Hope Rudolph can stay healthy.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »
He also used a offense that utilized a great TE.  Hope Rudolph can stay healthy.

Exactly....Rudolph should benefit a lot with a guy like Turner.......All of our offense would get a boost......Jennings, Patterson and Simpson (probably keeping him) but Wright could be the biggest benefit out of the slot the way the field should open up. If we do get Turner I'd put money down he finds away to keep Gerhart...Gerhart would fit perfectly in a Norv Turner offense.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 11:12:30 AM »
words is we have signed Edwards as our new DC......Dolphins LB coach.......don't know a lot about him

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »
George Edwards to be Vikings defensive coordinator. He was the Dolphins linebacker coach. Not sure about this, but Zimmer knows defense so I will defer to his knowledge. I would love to get Norv Turner as the OC. Cincy has given the Vikings permission to talk to him. ddbana
min1 stl3

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 11:19:12 AM »
Do you think Preiffer will keep his job as ST coach? I thought he did a good job! In spite of what Kluwe had to say. I see a lawsuit coming out of that mess.
min1 stl3

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 11:56:43 AM »
I can see him gone.  Zimmer was asked about some of the messes that have been in our organization lately.  Whether it was Harvin, Cook, Kluwe-Preiffer.  He said he wasn't going to settle for that stuff.  My guess he will want him gone just to have that situation go away. 

But on the other hand, he took in some problem childs in Cincy.  Burficet (sp) Pacman Jones and I didn't hear a lick of them causing problems.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »
Yeah....I think Zimmer can handle most types of players.......The difference with Zimmer and Frazier IMO opinion can be summed up in how things were handled with Harvin. Zimmer and Harvin would have had it out and it would have been done with the difference is Zimmer would have told Ponder to get his head out of his ass or look for another team lol.........The problem wasn't Harvin, it was a p**** coach in Frazier not knowing how to deal with him and also not knowing when to say enough on Ponder who was the problem. I think I'm going to like Zimmer and his attitude....I'll take a hot head that can freakin play over a p**** that can't anyday. Prieffer IMO should be back next season....done a solid job and sounds like the players like him.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 03:49:22 PM »
I really hope he's the guy. I'm concerned, but I'll support him like I did with Ponder. Hoping for better results of course. You all know I really dislike what Spielman has done since he became the main guy in Minnesota. I blame him for the 3-13 year and drafting Ponder. He was the guy! That makes his record as a GM in the NFL 22-41-1. Those numbers are Millenesque, fellas! He wins 4.4 games per season as a GM. I know he wasn't recognized until the 2012 season, but who else was responsible for that travesty? Chilly was gone and you and I both know that Frazier was simply a toe the party line guy...See the remarks. "Ponder gives us the best chance to win." Two weeks later, "Freeman gives us the best chance to win." Make no mistake Spielman is the reason this ship has sailed into deep waters that may lead this team into the abyss of laughing stock.

Spielman as a GM is winning 4.4 games per season. That bared repeating. I fear Zimmer will befall a fate like Frazier did. Of course Frazier just sat there and took it. I'm not sure he really believed that he was ready for the Head Coaching Ranks? Regardless, this is the hand we are dealt! I'm sure Zimmer will not just toe the party line like Frazier did. When Spielman becomes too meddlesome I truly hope he tosses Slick Rick under the bus ASAP.

This team needs a QB to lead the Vikings to the prize. I laugh that Mel Kiper Jr. has Bridgewater falling to the Vikings. He's a top 2 pick and should he fall to lower than 4 I'll publically apologize on here!The defense is so bad I wonder what can be achieved in 1 draft and free agent period. the Vikings should have plenty of cap space for a couple years anyway. The back half of the draft has to get better. Had Spielman followed those flashy 1st round picks with some meat and potatoes I would have a differing view of him. He didn't and the core has suffered.

The signing of OC scar neck, Norv Turner and Dolphins LB coach, George Edwards are not shocking news. Norv knew he was going away I believe, in Cleveland. The other fellow is a bit of a mystery to me as I don't often sit around wondering about the Dolphins' LB coaches. I'm behind them none the less. Rudolph should love Turners hire. Expect big things next year in that offense. Let's hope the QB can deliver better than last season.

Now All the Vikings need is a Joe Montana like QB. A LB like Lawrence Taylor and a SS like Ronnie Lott, NT like Pat Williams, a couple CBs, well you see what I'm saying...SKOL Brother!

min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline 1hotchev

• Veteran
  • God loves a workin Man
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 02:33:50 AM »
Koko  I agree that Zimmer will have more backbone then poor Frazier who was lucky to have a HC job, I believe he was hired to save money. and we all paid, I'm probably just dreaming but I have high hopes, a strong coaching staff should make a huge difference, kind of change the attitude, philosophy or something. it's true Spielman hasn't been able to find his ass with both hands of late and has made some pretty bad decisions or should I say 2 steps past horrible but things seem to be looking up. I would think this is Spielmans last draft if he doesn't get it right this time.
PAGE NAMED NFLS MVP — In 1971 Alan Page became the first defensive player to be named the Most Valuable Player of the National Football League by the Associated Press. Page headed a Vikings defense that held opponents to fewer than 10 points a game.

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.