Author Topic: 2014 Vikings head coach  (Read 2700 times)

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
Re: 2014 Vikings head coach
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2014, 10:15:40 AM »
Yes there is no doubt that's what the Wilfs and the Dollar General Manager have had in mind since the Childress firing...Cheap injured Free Agents signed on the budget. Overspending on a couple of guys, albeit not their fault. Carlson was still not 100% and Jennings not having a solid QB option to throw at him...Now the Vikings should have cap space. Problem is who will want to come play in an igloo? That and with STILL no real QB at the helm. Let's hope a rabbit is pulled directly from someone's ass to solve that problem I just don't see the answer at QB at #8 in this draft? Bridgewater will be gone and Manziel too, not that I'm a solid believer in him. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Have I said I don't like Spielman in this post?...I don't like Rick Spielman as the Vikings GM!
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 11:22:09 AM »
Yes there is no doubt that's what the Wilfs and the Dollar General Manager have had in mind since the Childress firing...Cheap injured Free Agents signed on the budget. Overspending on a couple of guys, albeit not their fault. Carlson was still not 100% and Jennings not having a solid QB option to throw at him...Now the Vikings should have cap space. Problem is who will want to come play in an igloo? That and with STILL no real QB at the helm. Let's hope a rabbit is pulled directly from someone's ass to solve that problem I just don't see the answer at QB at #8 in this draft? Bridgewater will be gone and Manziel too, not that I'm a solid believer in him. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Have I said I don't like Spielman in this post?...I don't like Rick Spielman as the Vikings GM!

Don't think there are any quick solutions......I don't see a QB at 8 for us but there should be some solid  players available. I doubt teams want to come to the igloo either but Zimmer should attrach a few defensive guys. What I like about Zimmer is he and the Bengals have taken a few chances on players with some issues and they have played out...hopefully that happens here now......Guys like the honey badger would have been off Spielmans board ....you get  guys with some issues in college (who hasn't had issues in college) with talent and potential to be all pro you work with it.....now we have a HC that can. Hopefully we get Turner.....one thing that has been proven over and over is coaching matters....

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »
His press conference was like a breath of fresh air.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »
I know, right? The next time I hear, "We are gonna have to go back and look at the film, and see where we can get better." I would literally throw up! They better get rid of Ponder, or I'll be vomiting!

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 01:54:12 PM »

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
Here's Leslie Frazier's presser

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 03:14:04 PM »
I couldn't listen to 20 seconds of that.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Arasmis

• NFC North Champions 4 years running: Green Bay Packers!
  • Battle God
  • Star
  • Is it Football season yet?
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2014, 03:54:50 PM »
Ponder is still a very cheap option overall to make the team for 2014.  Especially as a back-up.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Vikings&Year=2014

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2014, 05:54:22 PM »
His press conference was like a breath of fresh air.

That was......you can tell he's a football guy. I had to laugh....you could tell he was nervous especially trying to chose the right words to say....if he had it his way his speech would have had a few very colorful adjectives including some nice 4 letter ones........really warming up to him already.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 05:57:21 PM »
regarding Ponder I don't see how they can keep him......his contract is cheap but realistically we can probably get a 4th for him so take it and move on. Especially if we sign Turner he definitely does not have the physical ability to run that style of offense.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2014, 07:38:36 PM »
Ponder is still a very cheap option overall to make the team for 2014.  Especially as a back-up.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Vikings&Year=2014

Like the Vikings care about money? They signed Freeman for 1 pitiful game and paid $2 million!

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2014, 07:57:34 PM »
Looking at that Cap Calculator it's a reasonable thought the Vikings could lose 6 starters to FA. Allen, Williams, Johnson, Simpson, Cook, and Mitchell...Suppose someone like the Bucs take Griffen. Allen will probably not take a pay cut to stay. Williams is the only likely player on defense to remain. That depends a lot on Zimmer, too. Losing Simpson on offense would suck some, but Charlie Johnson shouldn't be a starter anyway!

If what I describe takes place the starting defense for the Vikings would look like this prior to the draft, and free agency...

Robison            Guion           Floyd         Trattou

Greenway                           Cole/Mauti                         Hodges

Rhodes                    Smith                                 Sendejo              Prater

Now that I'm done laughing, where does Zimmer start? If this isn't a rebuild I'll kiss your ass! We thought the defense was bad last season, but this is a shell of that shell of a defense. Hopefully that awful Tampa 2 is completely out of the question? I need something for my stomach...       

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »
Looking at that Cap Calculator it's a reasonable thought the Vikings could lose 6 starters to FA. Allen, Williams, Johnson, Simpson, Cook, and Mitchell...Suppose someone like the Bucs take Griffen. Allen will probably not take a pay cut to stay. Williams is the only likely player on defense to remain. That depends a lot on Zimmer, too. Losing Simpson on offense would suck some, but Charlie Johnson shouldn't be a starter anyway!

If what I describe takes place the starting defense for the Vikings would look like this prior to the draft, and free agency...

Robison            Guion           Floyd         Trattou

Greenway                           Cole/Mauti                         Hodges

Rhodes                    Smith                                 Sendejo              Prater

Now that I'm done laughing, where does Zimmer start? If this isn't a rebuild I'll kiss your ass! We thought the defense was bad last season, but this is a shell of that shell of a defense. Hopefully that awful Tampa 2 is completely out of the question? I need something for my stomach...       

Ok...you made me laugh.......With the cap space we should be able to replace a few guys......On keepers I would be really surprised if Griffen doesn't resign. On offense I would expect the Vikings to resign Simpson too ..atleast to another 1 or 2 year deal.....he's a solid number 3 WR and off field stuff asside (which Zimmer should be ok with) . Cook is another I can see them hanging onto for cheap...especially if we go more man coverage...solid back up anyway.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »
LB core and back end still need a lot more starters.....really like what Seattle has done......you need the tweeners....safety/LB.....biggers hard hitting guys that are very athletic......All our LB's including Greenway just don't fit anymore especially in our division ...they all lack covering skills to compete against todays offense.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2014, 10:26:41 PM »
Ok...you made me laugh.......With the cap space we should be able to replace a few guys......On keepers I would be really surprised if Griffen doesn't resign. On offense I would expect the Vikings to resign Simpson too ..atleast to another 1 or 2 year deal.....he's a solid number 3 WR and off field stuff asside (which Zimmer should be ok with) . Cook is another I can see them hanging onto for cheap...especially if we go more man coverage...solid back up anyway.

Zimmer in Cincy has signed has beens and dbags and turned then back into stars (leading to top 10 defenses).  Pacman, Newman. I bet you can cross 2 or 3 off that list. Then make this squad a freaking 3-4 by resigning Griffin and drafting Barr... Good god.  Robison being a wierd 3-4 DE and putting Flyod at the other De.  I swear that could be deadly. 

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2014, 10:30:31 PM »
Yeah!  That whole thing was meant to be quoted! 

You get it.  But I started thinking of this team with Everson and Barr as OLB... Flyod might be able to move to 3-4 DE.  Robison would be out of place tho.  The one thing Zimmer said when asked what defense he wants to run. "You know, I want to evaluate what talent we got here and mold that defense to what players can play what" (Paraphrasing)  JESUS H HOW LONG HAVE WE ASKED FOR THIS CRAP!?!?   First presser and he says exactly what I want him to say.  No more molding out guys to what you want.  This coach is a complete 180. 

I am also 100% sure Ponder isn't a blip in his thought process.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2014, 07:42:30 AM »
Yeah!  That whole thing was meant to be quoted! 

You get it.  But I started thinking of this team with Everson and Barr as OLB... Flyod might be able to move to 3-4 DE.  Robison would be out of place tho.  The one thing Zimmer said when asked what defense he wants to run. "You know, I want to evaluate what talent we got here and mold that defense to what players can play what" (Paraphrasing)  JESUS H HOW LONG HAVE WE ASKED FOR THIS CRAP!?!?   First presser and he says exactly what I want him to say.  No more molding out guys to what you want.  This coach is a complete 180. 

I am also 100% sure Ponder isn't a blip in his thought process.

It will be interesting to see where we go with defense....I've read opinions that we will more than likely staying 4-3 but with man/press coverage for the base defense....more along the lines of what Cinci runs......I think it would be great if we went 3-4 if guys like Barr were available in the draft. Personally I really want our whole back end redone and all our LB's gone....Rhodes, Smith, Griffen, Robison and Floyd are the only real starters left ....

I have a feeling the team will be active in FA this year....Spielman like to go after the low budget/injury type players.....wonder what he's do with a new coach .... will he bring in some top end FA's or trouble character guys needing a second or third chance ???

One thing for sure is we are getting a coach that has many years experience with a variety defenses and more importantly been successful with them ..... I can't wait to see him go nuts on the sideline and show some emotion.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2014, 01:05:52 PM »
Spielman was quite probably running on the cheap on the Wilf's say so. The Wilfs' had those issues in New Jersey to deal with. Paying Chilly, and being way over the cap. Now his job is on the line! Now he has to step up! A 2000 yard season will not save his job again, because AP likely will have no more of them! I'm on record as not being a fan of his. I've also said I don't believe Zimmer will be the answer, unless this team wins early...That could happen with just competent, consistent, QB play. Every season there are teams making the playoff that are just NOT AS BAD as everyone else. Zimmer stated, "Sometimes you can win by just not beating yourself." I equate that to, "When your opponent is forking up, don't get in their way!"...

What really bothers me about the whole draft of 2011 was that Spielman and the Vikings coaching staff was at the Senior Bowl. (Spielman was on constantly) They got to see these guys more up close that everyone else. Then he misses the whole back half of the draft. Robinson is just dreadful in coverage! I like Wright, but he doesn't see the field all that much. The Vikings didn't play a guy in the slot too much. Perhaps that changes I see Simpson possibly leaving, with Patterson's emergence. Ellison is nothing special albeit a special teamer. I'm willing to wait a bit on him! Childs is someone I was really high on. He's been a 2 year money pit. I'm hoping he comes back healthy this year, but those injuries are career killers. Blanton has played, but I'm not impressed. Maybe another year helps, but he needs to show more in my opinion. This draft pick screams Mayock. Next year is his 3rd. He's got to step it up! Blair Walsh, many of us were disappointed in this pick. He did play great his rookie season, no doubt, last year was good. an injury caused some issues. What this turned out to be was a money move for the most part as Locke was this year. Audie Cole was evidently not what they wanted, but played after Henderson effed up? Frazier said as much and by the way Spielman released him 2 weeks before he was named starter is as puzzling as the Freeman signing. I wouldn't expect him to be starting next year. Trevor Guyton, yeah who?

I'm not saying this draft is a complete bust, but he missed completely on Robinson, Childs so far, the Ellison pick was a real question as the Vikings had plenty of TEs or seemed to have, Cole is a special teamer, in my opinion. Guyton cut at end of preseason...That leaves the Vikings with a Kicker and a part time slot guy from a draft they had a huge advantage over EVERY team, but one...The back end of the draft has to produce, SOON!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »
How long do you think they give Spielman Koko ????? I see him getting the next 2 years tops if things don't turn around by then. Personally if he reaches for a QB again at 8 like he did with Ponder they should fire his a$$ right there.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2014, 10:56:49 AM »
I'm with you on that Hutch!...He's probably gonna get 2 years? I hate it too. The way he's filleted this team makes me ill! Honestly, do you guys believe he's still the GM without AP's 2000 yard season? That team would have won like 4-5 games that year without him. That's being generous! Ponder couldn't beat Tom Thumb. I know you like Toby, but he isn't AP and with no WR threat that year they would have been terrible. Talk about a guy getting a stay of execution!

He'll get at least 2 years. I hope for Zimmer's sake they win early. They have a 4th place schedule so it could happen, but this team is not built to beat ANY of the NFC North opponents, right now. I know there's the draft and FA, but how many spots can they fill. Free agents will not want to play in an igloo, with no chance at the playoffs. That means any FA they bring in will be about money more than winning, in my opinion. I really fear that Zimmer might be sitting in the wrong spot. Under Spielman is no bargain, ask Frazier. fortunately for Frazier, Lovie came to the rescue. He will be a good to great DC again. I'd bet on that. Maybe IF he gets another shot at coaching he'll be ready? He sure toed the party line and it got him fired for it!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2014, 12:34:25 PM »
I'm with you on that Hutch!...He's probably gonna get 2 years? I hate it too. The way he's filleted this team makes me ill! Honestly, do you guys believe he's still the GM without AP's 2000 yard season? That team would have won like 4-5 games that year without him. That's being generous! Ponder couldn't beat Tom Thumb. I know you like Toby, but he isn't AP and with no WR threat that year they would have been terrible. Talk about a guy getting a stay of execution!

He'll get at least 2 years. I hope for Zimmer's sake they win early. They have a 4th place schedule so it could happen, but this team is not built to beat ANY of the NFC North opponents, right now. I know there's the draft and FA, but how many spots can they fill. Free agents will not want to play in an igloo, with no chance at the playoffs. That means any FA they bring in will be about money more than winning, in my opinion. I really fear that Zimmer might be sitting in the wrong spot. Under Spielman is no bargain, ask Frazier. fortunately for Frazier, Lovie came to the rescue. He will be a good to great DC again. I'd bet on that. Maybe IF he gets another shot at coaching he'll be ready? He sure toed the party line and it got him fired for it!

Regarding Zimmer and Turner one would have to think they will get the first 2 years to rebuild with new players and schemes. I perosnally don't think the Wilfs are going to expect a new HC and his coordinators to build and turn around a dome team that will play outside for 2 years then back inside to be successful these next 2 seasons....atleast I'd hope that would be the logic.......I want that high draft pick in 2015...that's the big year to build and get guys ready for the 2016 season. We play well and make the play offs in either of the next 2 seasons and that would be a bonus but shouldn't be a focal point at all IMO.

Regarding Toby I am a fan but more so because he's not really explossive in any one area but really solid in all areas of a RB's responsibility and he's the exact type of player for a Turner offense....realistically the better run teams have versatility in thier RB's....the Pats are a solid example of having Power up the middle with Blount and outside shifty runner and great receiver in Vereen. I'd take Gerhart and Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles for a 1-2 punch any day.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2014, 10:57:18 AM »
I mentioned that I felt Spielman was the guy that got Frazier fired. The hire of Zimmer creates a different set of circumstances for Slick Rick..This is what Fran Tarkenton said recently.

"football knowledge and coaching ability are only one part of what determines success as a head coach in the NFL.
The other is that the coach needs to be the leader, the face of the franchise. The players have to know who's boss ... that it's the coach, not the general manager or owner looking over his shoulder."

This is exactly what Spielman did to Frazier. He usurped his power base. There's no way that Frazier EVER believed that Freeman gave the Vikings the best chance at winning that Monday night vs. the Giants...The team never quit on Frazier. I respected that about this years team.

Now Zimmer takes over and the whole feel is different. I'm pretty sure that Zimmer will make the most of this opportunity. At 57 he's likely got 1 chance to succeed, as a head coach. In those regards he and Spielman will fish or cut bait together...If/when there is a dust up I can't wait to hear how Zimmer reacts. We all saw Frazier just fall on the sword and be fed to the Lions...Somehow I don't see Zimmer doing that for the SLICK one...SKOL Brother!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »
I mentioned that I felt Spielman was the guy that got Frazier fired. The hire of Zimmer creates a different set of circumstances for Slick Rick..This is what Fran Tarkenton said recently.

"football knowledge and coaching ability are only one part of what determines success as a head coach in the NFL.
The other is that the coach needs to be the leader, the face of the franchise. The players have to know who's boss ... that it's the coach, not the general manager or owner looking over his shoulder."

This is exactly what Spielman did to Frazier. He usurped his power base. There's no way that Frazier EVER believed that Freeman gave the Vikings the best chance at winning that Monday night vs. the Giants...The team never quit on Frazier. I respected that about this years team.

Now Zimmer takes over and the whole feel is different. I'm pretty sure that Zimmer will make the most of this opportunity. At 57 he's likely got 1 chance to succeed, as a head coach. In those regards he and Spielman will fish or cut bait together...If/when there is a dust up I can't wait to hear how Zimmer reacts. We all saw Frazier just fall on the sword and be fed to the Lions...Somehow I don't see Zimmer doing that for the SLICK one...SKOL Brother!

Yeah......think Zimmer will be a little more vocal......Frazier just wasn't that good of a head coach but really lack confidence in many of his players which was very apparent on the way team was allowed to play,,,,,I say allowed because players don't chose to play prevent or not be aggressive on offense...they are directed to by coaches. Now we have a fire ball in Zimmer but more importantly we have a top end offensive coordinator in Turner......Turner IMO is the bigger hirer of the two....this now falls on Spielman to produce as both these guys know what to do with players and have been successful at a high level....somehow i think over the next 2 years, especially next year IMO , the team will be very aggressive building our team

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »
Does anyone think they might try to get Richie Incognito from Miami? He could help our O-line and it isn't like Miami is using him. Just curious.
min1 stl3

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
That guy is a Bully...LOL

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.