Author Topic: WILL INSTANT REPLAY KILL THE GAME OF BASEBAL  (Read 665 times)

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
WILL INSTANT REPLAY KILL THE GAME OF BASEBAL
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:56:33 PM »
With the 2014 Season just around the corner, MLB has put into effect Instant Replay for Baseball.

There is nothing instant about instant replay, football now allows the ref to "only" be under the hood for 2 minutes on the call in question, yet we can relieve ourselves, make a snack and tweet to everyone else while those 2 minutes occur. While I believe something should have been done, I am not so sure they got it right.

The Basics

1. Managers have one challenge for the first six innings, which they keep and are able to use once more if the challenge is successful. From the seventh inning on, the umpire crew chief is the sole arbiter of when replay is used. 
Okay not so bad on the first half, it's not every game that something happens and if it does it is usually later in tight games. But part 2 of that statement is what really gets me. How many umpires are going to willing put a stop to the game and say "hey I might have missed that one". While probably none, there are the other crew members who might call him out, which means a conversation between the umpires before they decide to allow an instant replay. Then there is the call to the powers to be to check it out. One play alone could take up to 10 minutes if not more.

2.  Managers must notify crew chiefs verbally and in a timely manner to lodge a challenge. What is the definition of timely? Well, that is up to the umpires. MLB has said managers could be disciplined if it is determined that they are using stall tactics before trying to decide to challenge or not.Remember: Selig wants to speed the game up, right facepalm

Here are some of the plays that are reviewable.

Balls and strikes aren’t reviewable. THANK GOODNESS
 force plays (including at first base), tag plays, trapped balls in the outfield, fair/foul calls in the outfield, and
whether batters have been hit by pitches.

While this is the first go at it, if you dont count the homerun replays, I believe this could greatly slow down the games and I for one liked the human element of the game.

And on one last note MLB is also hoping to have a no collision at home plate rule into effect by Opening Day
nym3 nyg1 notredame1 nyr2

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
Re: WILL INSTANT REPLAY KILL THE GAME OF BASEBAL
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 12:02:09 AM »
Hey Fore!

It's going to make a slow game even slower. Baseball has turned into a regional sport... You root for your team and follow the division, but personally I don't care too much for what's going on in other divisions, or the AL for that matter. Sadly the game of baseball is an afterthought to most. JMHO.
"I, too, once dabbled in Pacifism."

"In Heaven, there is no beer,  that's why we drink it here"
iowa1 chc3 chi4 min1 alabama1 We love you RJ!

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 12:04:57 AM »
I believe your right, which is why all the negative press. Any press is good press

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 12:14:45 AM »
I believe your right, which is why all the negative press. Any press is good press
Someone said that baseball was better off turning a blind eye to PEDs...I almost have to agree. All of the scandals and negative pub has soured many casual fans to turn attention elsewhere...no surprise the NFLs continued ascension goes hand in hand with baseballs decline.
"I, too, once dabbled in Pacifism."

"In Heaven, there is no beer,  that's why we drink it here"
iowa1 chc3 chi4 min1 alabama1 We love you RJ!

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »
But yet anywhere you go people are still twlkng about baseball. Bad or good baseball is bback in the front of peoples minds.

Offline jonnytsunami

• Star
  • The beatings shall continue until morale improves
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 07:46:23 AM »
Casual fans should stick with golf...

Check your stats , attendance is up across the board . Baseball is very popular and replay won't kill the game, the price of a beer at the stadium might!

I'm with you in sentiment Fore, the human element and all but this is a necessary evil, IMO

They still have to hit, throw and run. Everything will be fine.

39 days and counting....
That'll be the day .....
            stl3            den1         col2         missouri1

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Coach
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 12:08:18 PM »
I really don't see it being used that often.  I mean really, how many bad calls are out there that mean enough to call for review. Very few in the scheme of things

37 to go
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline kingkingston

• Starter
  • Carlton Blues
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 04:20:35 PM »
in cricket they get 2 challenges, it might be a good idea to have it, wouldn't want to cost a team a title because of a wrong call

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
  • Pickems Record: 9999999-2
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 06:41:58 PM »
in cricket they get 2 challenges, it might be a good idea to have it, wouldn't want to cost a team a title because of a wrong call

I sure wish that stupid infield fly rule call against the Braves last year had been reviewable. That cost the Braves their season. Very stupid call when the ball was obviously hit into left field.  facepalm
All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 07:10:09 PM »
That one call didn't help bit I don't think it changes your whole season.

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »
That one call didn't help bit I don't think it changes your whole season.

It could have changed the whole season. We'll never know.
All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 07:14:55 PM »
rofl

You made it as far as you always do

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 07:15:37 PM »
rofl

You made it as far as you always do

Not always. In 1995 we did win it all. At least we did. Once.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 07:20:50 PM »
Wow the Mets have two. We finally beat you at something grin1

Offline DJ Launch

• Veteran
  • We are not as strong as our father.
  • Pickems Record: 14/10
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 07:42:02 PM »
 haha1
The surface can be more than just a rock that is grist for the department to be the point kite. Come on people share makes the ditch.

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 07:58:47 AM »
Yeah, that does kind of suck when you think about it. LOL

Offline Realityball

• Star
  • I like people ... but just one at a time
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 04:33:51 PM »
Casual fans should stick with golf...

Check your stats , attendance is up across the board . Baseball is very popular and replay won't kill the game, the price of a beer at the stadium might!

I'm with you in sentiment Fore, the human element and all but this is a necessary evil, IMO

They still have to hit, throw and run. Everything will be fine.

39 days and counting....
Casual baseball fans? That's a riot. Y'all gets dem formal fans over there?

Red Sox nation/the Evil Empire will be the best barometer as to whether instant replay is worth it, what with the long games these teams are known for.

The action in a baseball game is such that I don't think replays should be installed. The increase in umpire meetings overturning initial calls have been doing a sufficient job.

"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
— George Orwell

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »
While you have your opinion. The umpires have not been over turning calls for reprimand. They are a union and stick together. While I don't believe this is done intentionally if there is any doubt they err on the side with the ump that made the call.  Long games are the lack of defense or lack of pitching.

Offline jonnytsunami

• Star
  • The beatings shall continue until morale improves
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 07:55:27 PM »
I guess you didn't bother to read all the replies.

Myself , I'm a hardcore baseball fan and I don't like golf or jackass posters

That'll be the day .....
            stl3            den1         col2         missouri1

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 11:19:16 AM »

I guess you only like about 50% of the folks on here then. LOL

Offline Realityball

• Star
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »
While you have your opinion. The umpires have not been over turning calls for reprimand. They are a union and stick together. While I don't believe this is done intentionally if there is any doubt they err on the side with the ump that made the call.  Long games are the lack of defense or lack of pitching.

I just got yelled at for questioning a fan's level of diligence so I hope I'm not stepping on your toes but you said "While this is the first go at it, if you dont count the homerun replays, I believe this could greatly slow down the games and I for one liked the human element of the game."

then you said:
"While you have your opinion. The umpires have not been over turning calls for reprimand. They are a union and stick together. While I don't believe this is done intentionally if there is any doubt they err on the side with the ump that made the call.  Long games are the lack of defense or lack of pitching."

While I agree with your thread intro remark, I sense you contradict your opinion of the human element with the bias umpires may have because they're union, although you're correct that they favor the original ump call because that's protocol. Instant replay will override that protocol and thus slow the game.

… and long games are not necessary a lack of defense and/or pitching. Not in the majors anyway:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/sports/baseball/06gametime.html?_r=0

"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
— George Orwell

Offline Realityball

• Star
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 03:01:46 PM »

This is why I don't like "hardcore baseball fans" around me when I'm watching a game.

— George Orwell

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »
I am not in favor of the replay and the newer rules. The homerun replaying has slowed the game a bit but has been for just cause. No toes have been stepped on I welcome all opinions and hope you stick around and visit us also at the chat room.

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »
This is why I don't like "hardcore baseball fans" around me when I'm watching a game.

Me neither. I don't care about who has what stats I just want to watch the game!

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 08:00:44 PM »
I am not in favor of the replay and the newer rules. The homerun replaying has slowed the game a bit but has been for just cause. No toes have been stepped on I welcome all opinions and hope you stick around and visit us also at the chat room.

They need to get the calls right. It's worth the slowdown of the game to make sure it happens. Umps have screwed up a lot of games throughout the history of baseball.