Author Topic: WILL INSTANT REPLAY KILL THE GAME OF BASEBAL  (Read 762 times)

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
Re: WILL INSTANT REPLAY KILL THE GAME OF BASEBAL
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 08:48:12 PM »

I believe this could greatly slow down the games and I for one liked the human element of the game.

I don't think it will slow games down that much, FORE.
I mean, perhaps a game will be a few minutes longer, but not enough to really be noticeable, imo.

As far as the challenge being  lodged in a "timely manner," yes, it would be great if they were more specific than "timely manner," but I think it would be pretty obvious to an ump if a manager is hemming and hawing trying to decide whether to challenge or not.  I don't imagine an ump having a lot of patience or tolerance if they think a manager is stalling.
I'm sure there will be some bumps in the road, as things are ironed out, but I'd think certainly by the All-Star break it will all be going fairly smoothly.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline bondkbond

• Coach
  • Bar Tab Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »
I'm in favor of the replay. I dont think the replay will take any longer then having the manager kick dirt, spit, and rub noses with the umps. lol  I dont watch every game I can but in the last couple years I've seen a lot of bad calls which you're always gunna have. This will cut down on the"under the table vacation money".      haha1

Offline jonnytsunami

• Star
  • The beatings shall continue until morale improves
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 09:49:10 AM »
My respect for this site and this threads mod are the only thing's curbing my tongue.

Hardcore fans love the fabric of the game.

Intelligent people don't absurdly stereotype people by team geography.

To the point , replay won't kill the game
That'll be the day .....
            stl3            den1         col2         missouri1

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
  • Pickems Record: 9999999-2
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 12:03:49 PM »
I don't care if it slows down the game to a crawl. LET'S GET THE CALLS RIGHT!
All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 12:06:20 PM »
I don't care if it slows down the game to a crawl. LET'S GET THE CALLS RIGHT!

In most if not all ballparks, then can show replay on the scoreboard. If the call is wrong, change it. It doesn't take 2-3 minutes
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 12:09:53 PM »
In most if not all ballparks, then can show replay on the scoreboard. If the call is wrong, change it. It doesn't take 2-3 minutes

perfect10

CNA
All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 12:11:28 PM »
Wow you like throwing the rabbit to the wolves. I am just ready to play. I thank you all for your opinions.
nym3 nyg1 notredame1 nyr2

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 12:21:46 PM »
Sorry Fore, but the sergeant is not always right and neither are the refs and

NEITHER ARE THE STINKING UMPIRES! LOL

Human error is to be expected. Therefore we must have replays so that some of them can get corrected.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 12:30:42 PM »
The replays already are shown on the screens in the ballparks which as such has led to the instant replay rule. While a necessary need has arisen for instant replay I just hope that the rule does not impede the speed of the game.

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 01:06:02 PM »
I really don't think there will be a noticeable impact beyond the assurance that certain bad calls will be corrected...
And I think that's a very good thing!

Anyone who watches baseball knows there is no telling how long or short a game will be.  We don't even have the illusion of a game clock (I say illusion because of football...where 4 15 minute quarters usually equals about a 3 hour game).  I just really don't see a few minutes making a difference.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline DJ Launch

• Veteran
  • We are not as strong as our father.
  • Pickems Record: 14/10
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
Apparently.
The surface can be more than just a rock that is grist for the department to be the point kite. Come on people share makes the ditch.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 04:12:55 PM »
Day one and I haven't checked the other games yet but instant replay was put to the test. WHY Nationals are up 4 runs in the top of the 10th and the Coach for them decides to question the third out at first. There was never a doubt that the runner was out and the only thing the announced could say was"Use it or lose it". Ten minutes later the call was confirmed facepalm

Offline Realityball

• Star
  • I like people ... but just one at a time
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 06:06:39 PM »
Day one and I haven't checked the other games yet but instant replay was put to the test. WHY Nationals are up 4 runs in the top of the 10th and the Coach for them decides to question the third out at first. There was never a doubt that the runner was out and the only thing the announced could say was"Use it or lose it". Ten minutes later the call was confirmed facepalm

There will be a learning curve as far the umps go when dealing with such calls and I do agree with folks wanting them to "get it right," but at what price? I may be biased with the hidden games played up here in the AL east but I'm still leery of the speed of the game being affected. And I agree with your original thread of essentially giving managers another tool to change the pace of the game.

"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
— George Orwell

Offline Jeep99tj

• Star
  • I shoulda been a pirate.
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 03:43:27 PM »
There will be a learning curve as far the umps go when dealing with such calls and I do agree with folks wanting them to "get it right," but at what price? I may be biased with the hidden games played up here in the AL east but I'm still leery of the speed of the game being affected. And I agree with your original thread of essentially giving managers another tool to change the pace of the game.

After watching a few games that the challenge has been use it's been mixed as far as I can see. The first few were quick and didn't effect the game. The last few I've seen have taken considerable time and have had no real effect on the game. I will say that the managers need to decide when to use them to the best for the team. As I stated on the Giants thread, Bochy botched it by using his challenge on a pick off attempt that was close enough for the umpire to let stand only to have needed it a few pitches later oon a scoring play that would have been over turned in his favor. They should have used it in spring training, put it on hold until they could access the pros and cons and tweeked it to make it better.
I drink tequila and listen to southern rock.
Ain't none y'all funny!
I'm the black Jeep of the family.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 06:10:26 PM »
That would have helped the process but not done a thing for the decision end of it.  I think some of them are testing it early just for an important case later. But in Bochy's case out will never know if now is the right time.

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »
I saw one horrible call at first get reversed. Yep. GO BRAVES! I like it.

Offline Raylan Michael Molnar

• Coach
  • "You gonna 'pull' on me?"
  • Pickems Record: 81 and counting.
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2014, 07:42:06 PM »
Having watched the two Dodgers at Padres games so far, the real problem is balls/strikes and "half swings".

"Did he go around?" has to be held to a standard.

Nice outfit, Baby.

ana2  sd3

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2014, 07:44:33 PM »
That will never happen. Its a matter of opinion, just like the balls and strikes(with guidelines)

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2014, 07:57:06 PM »
Having watched the two Dodgers at Padres games so far, the real problem is balls/strikes and "half swings".

"Did he go around?" has to be held to a standard.

I guess we'll just have to deal with umps getting those calls wrong. Oh well.

Offline Realityball

• Star
  • I like people ... but just one at a time
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
I guess we'll just have to deal with umps getting those calls wrong. Oh well.

For me, the best new (somewhat) thing in baseball is the strike zone graphic (too bad fox doesn't use it that much) to gauge the consistency or inconsistency of the calls since that, to me, is what defines some fairness. Then when a player or manager is ejected we know exactly why :-)
"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
— George Orwell

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »

For me, the best new (somewhat) thing in baseball is the strike zone graphic (too bad fox doesn't use it that much) to gauge the consistency or inconsistency of the calls since that, to me, is what defines some fairness. Then when a player or manager is ejected we know exactly why :-)

Excellent point.

Offline blacktopbully

• Icon
  • The Grandbabies :)
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »
Here are three reasons why instant replay needs to be removed.

Earl Weaver
Billy Martin
Lou Piniella

Classic umpire confrontations are now a thing of the past. Those arguments are part of baseball lore that I know I love!

Bad and disputed calls are all part of the game. Sometimes you benefit, sometimes you cry in your beer...

Some more reasons...

1985 World Series... I know who won, the players involved and the umpire and that almost 30 years ago. Sure, the call MAY have cost the Cardinals a WS Title, but it's part of baseball legend!!!

Jim Joyce / Armando Gallaraga.. Does anyone think you'd know their names had there been replay in 2010?

I love baseball. I'd venture to guess I love it more than just about anyone you can think of. I love my A's with all my heart, but can watch 9 innings of an Astros / Padres game. Arguing, dirt kicking and controversal calls are all part of WHY I love it. Same with the NFL. Call the play and let it stand. These umps and refs are so good at their jobs it's scary.
Hello. I'm Bully. What's your name?

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »
While instant replay has its good and bad points I'm sure all who visit here mist agree that the "Posey" rule must go. Not even the umpires knowcto the full extent how the rule is be applied. Case in point this afternoons Cubs and Giants game. The ball beat the runner to home by a country mile and the runner was called safe because of catcher interference.  The big wigs shouldn't go back to the drawing board.

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »
While instant replay has its good and bad points I'm sure all who visit here mist agree that the "Posey" rule must go. Not even the umpires knowcto the full extent how the rule is be applied. Case in point this afternoons Cubs and Giants game. The ball beat the runner to home by a country mile and the runner was called safe because of catcher interference.  The big wigs shouldn't go back to the drawing board.

Is that reviewable? LOL

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2014, 06:07:59 PM »
It was a serious clusterfluk