Author Topic: WILL INSTANT REPLAY KILL THE GAME OF BASEBAL  (Read 674 times)

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
  • Pickems Record: 9999999-2
Re: WILL INSTANT REPLAY KILL THE GAME OF BASEBAL
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2014, 06:08:10 PM »
I noted that in the NCAA basketball tournament it took the officials entirely too long to look at the monitor and make decisions. I am all for getting the calls right but it shouldn't take ten minutes to look at a monitor and make a decision. That's ridiculous.
All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2014, 06:11:11 PM »
That was my point form the beginning. Yes we want the calls right but nit if it takes forever. The NFL has helped theirs out by putting a time limit on how long you can look at a play but by the time you review where the balls goes and everything else fans have watched 4 commercials and get to come back to the ref still talking about it.
nym3 nyg1 notredame1 nyr2

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2014, 06:16:34 PM »
That was my point form the beginning. Yes we want the calls right but nit if it takes forever. The NFL has helped theirs out by putting a time limit on how long you can look at a play but by the time you review where the balls goes and everything else fans have watched 4 commercials and get to come back to the ref still talking about it.

Yeah, they need to impose a time limit. So far I haven't been watching a baseball game this year where they reviewed a play so I can't comment on how long it's taking to do it. But what happened in the tourney is pathetic.

How long does it take 3 guys to look at a monitor and make a final decision?

In football the referee is the head official and his word is final so he is the one who reviews the plays on the field - of course not in the booth, but the referee makes the final decision in any case. They need to do the same thing in basketball. The head ref is the only one who should be reviewing the monitor because he has the final say.

I hope that in baseball the plate ump is the only one who is reviewing anything because he has the power to over rule the other umps.
All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2014, 06:23:08 PM »
Its more like hockey. They call NY and they have monitors on every game. The final call comes from them.

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »
Its more like hockey. They call NY and they have monitors on every game. The final call comes from them.

Is it taking a long time before they resume the game(s)?

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »
Not really. The ones I've seen have been no longer than 3-4 minutes

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2014, 08:29:54 PM »
Not really. The ones I've seen have been no longer than 3-4 minutes

That's not bad. I can handle that.

Offline blacktopbully

• Icon
  • The Grandbabies :)
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2014, 07:12:37 AM »
I'd rather watch a manager argue for 3-4 minutes and make it a memorable event rather than 3-4 of reviews.

The days are the classic manager / ump arguments are over and I think that's sad. It's part of baseball. Live with the calls as they are called.
Hello. I'm Bully. What's your name?

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2014, 05:49:19 PM »
Agreed. The only time a manager comes to talk to the umpire is to delay while his assistants check the video.

Offline Realityball

• Star
  • I like people ... but just one at a time
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »
Agreed. The only time a manager comes to talk to the umpire is to delay while his assistants check the video.
Agreed II. It's added one more game within the game ... not to sound too old school, but keep it pure (somewhat)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
— George Orwell

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2014, 12:00:31 AM »
with our first blown replay call of the season, it's not looking good so far. Can't think of the two teams but player sliding into second was called out. On every replay except the ones that counted you could clearly see the runners foot off the base and the tag still applied. Game decision stayed out and the powers that be at MLB stated on Saturday that a mistake was made and that instant replay is a work in progress. Isn't that what they told us about the umpires making the same bad calls facepalm

Offline bondkbond

• Hall of Famer
  • Bar Tab Moderator
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2014, 08:57:01 AM »
No replays in the Brewer games this weekend but the ump forgot what the count was and had to go to the dugout phone to find out. I believe that was the Cubs/Cards game.       rofl

What the hell is HE dreamin about?

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2014, 09:36:51 AM »
Not a good sign is it grin1

Offline Realityball

• Star
  • I like people ... but just one at a time
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2014, 10:18:30 AM »
with our first blown replay call of the season, it's not looking good so far. Can't think of the two teams but player sliding into second was called out. On every replay except the ones that counted you could clearly see the runners foot off the base and the tag still applied. Game decision stayed out and the powers that be at MLB stated on Saturday that a mistake was made and that instant replay is a work in progress. Isn't that what they told us about the umpires making the same bad calls facepalm

That was the NY/BOS game. The next day they gave NY another call via replay reversal that showed BOS 1st Base not "securing" the ball in time with the NYY player's foot on the bag.

Farrell was the first manager thrown out of the game because he argued the replay.
By the way, second manager overall this season since replays are supposed to lessen ejections — supposedly

"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
— George Orwell

Offline blacktopbully

• Icon
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2014, 11:22:22 AM »
Baseball is an imperfect game that MLB is trying to make perfect. Just let the calls stand! It's the most human of games!!!

Replay sucks!!!

Offline Jeep99tj

• Star
  • I shoulda been a pirate.
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2014, 11:28:45 AM »
It sucks even more when there's a close call and the manager walks out but has to wait for his people to review the tape before he decides he's going to appeal or not. From what I've seen the umpires have been getting the calls right for the most part.
I drink tequila and listen to southern rock.
Ain't none y'all funny!
I'm the black Jeep of the family.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »
They have gotten them rigjt for the most part but  the ones they get wrong are blatantly wrong.

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
Basically umpires are being phased out of the game right? I mean it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that balls and strikes could be called electronically. Just don't like centralized replay for MLB....like previous posters it eliminates manager implosions... remember the rosin bag grenade toss?
"I, too, once dabbled in Pacifism."

"In Heaven, there is no beer,  that's why we drink it here"
iowa1 chc3 chi4 min1 alabama1 We love you RJ!

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »
No replays in the Brewer games this weekend but the ump forgot what the count was and had to go to the dugout phone to find out. I believe that was the Cubs/Cards game.       rofl

What the hell is HE dreamin about?

Well, he probably feasted his eyes on the Cubs' new shortstop and couldn't think about baseball for a while there.

A pic of her is posted over on another thread. LOL

Offline blacktopbully

• Icon
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2014, 02:07:11 PM »
Basically umpires are being phased out of the game right? I mean it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that balls and strikes could be called electronically. Just don't like centralized replay for MLB....like previous posters it eliminates manager implosions... remember the rosin bag grenade toss?

The grenade toss is classic viewing!! Must see video!! Damn that was funny! I'm gonna have to find it on youtube tonight! Good memories!

Offline Jeep99tj

• Star
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
Well, he probably feasted his eyes on the Cubs' new shortstop and couldn't think about baseball for a while there.

A pic of her is posted over on another thread. LOL

You mean her....

Ain't none y'all funny!

Offline blacktopbully

• Icon
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
They have gotten them rigjt for the most part but  the ones they get wrong are blatantly wrong.

Wrong calls are part of an imperfect game. At the end of the year, everything washes out. Very, very few games are determined by umpire calls. The games that were affected are classic, memorable games.

Leave the game alone. We survived this long with umps making good and bad calls!!!

Offline Jeep99tj

• Star
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2014, 02:17:04 PM »

I don't know about blatant. Instant replay has spoiled the viewer and made it harder for the ump. Watching some of these games and listening to the home team announcers say the call was wrong until they see the replay and then say the ump got it right.
Ain't none y'all funny!

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
Wrong calls are part of an imperfect game. At the end of the year, everything washes out. Very, very few games are determined by umpire calls. The games that were affected are classic, memorable games.

Leave the game alone. We survived this long with umps making good and bad calls!!!

We did survive, but with technology advancing as quick as it has everyone in the world now knows instantly seconds after the play has been called by the umpires. We used to trust their judgement as Word and have our griefs when it was close but life went on.

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2014, 07:38:16 PM »
I believe the game needs replay. It has improved football and basketball tremendously, though in BB they do have a tendency to look at the monitor far too long.

I have longed for the day where terrible calls won't ruin a team's season. That day is today. And I thank God for it.