Author Topic: Rugby 7's  (Read 459 times)

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
  • Sesquipedalophobia is just mean.
Rugby 7's
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:23:39 AM »
This weekend was the Rugby 7's USA tournament.  It was on at least 3 different channels.  NBC, NBCSN, & USN.  I got to see a decent amount of games but I also only got to see the games the USA team won & not the 3 they lost (which were all close losses).

Sadly, it was also the last game for this guy we have named Isles who is track star fast.  I saw 2 Spanish players just quit running to chase him after he got in front of them because they knew they had 0 shot of catching him.

Here's a link to the results:
http://www.usasevens.com/las-vegas/2014-fixtures-results/

It looks like our finish puts us ranked in 14th but at one point they were mentioning a possible relegation & I think we played our way out of that winning the Shield.

The Next round is in New Zealand Feb 7-8.  The US is in Pool C with Canada, Scotland, & Argentina.  Canada will likely be the favorite but the 2 top advance for a shot at the Cup.  Canada won 3rd place in the Las Vegas Round with 22 unanswered points against Samoa to win 22-19.

Offline ozpackerfan

• Super Mod
  • Hall of Famer
Re: Rugby 7's
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:38:43 AM »
We get every game of the 7s world series live here and I managed to catch a bit of it amongst other things going on. Sounds like you enjoyed it Zimmy, that's great. Of course Rugby 7s is now an Olympic sport so hopefully the game will get some more exposure over the next few years...

Offline Zimmy07

• Star
  • Sesquipedalophobia is just mean.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »
I missed the Wellington series because I forgot it was on.  The next one is in Hong Kong Mar 22 or so.

Offline ozpackerfan

• Super Mod
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
I just caught the end of the USA vs Samoa in the Tokyo 7s. Must have been a good game to watch, Samoa were up 17-0 and the USA ended up winning 24-17...

Meanwhile the full international USA team starts it's 2 leg series vs Uruguay today (Saturday) in qualifying for next years World Cup. The winner will qualify while the loser will go into a final group with 3 other teams from around the world.

Offline ozpackerfan

• Super Mod
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 10:23:28 PM »
A 27-27 draw in Uruguay has USA in good shape to go through. A win in today's 2nd leg will see the Eagles qualify for next year's World Cup in England...