Author Topic: 2010 and 2011 Draft Picks and Rick Spielman  (Read 1198 times)

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
2010 and 2011 Draft Picks and Rick Spielman
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »
It's much easier to tell you who is left on the roster as of today than who is not from 2010...

Everson Griffen...Webb, Cook, and Toby are history. The only one left had issues his 1st year. Maybe Jared being there helped get him on the better path...I'm still scratching my head as to why the Vikings gave up so much for the chance to draft Toby? Especially how the rest of the draft went and who remains. SMFH...

2011 we have a few left...

Ponder, ugh, busto!...Ponder was over drafted by Spielman who panicked when his asking price for the pick was too much for the selection. Ponder was a weak armed QB that had injury issues even before college at FSU...He also proved to be a horrible decision maker as he went along.

Kyle Rudolph, He has turned into a nice target, but got lost all too often after turning heads at the Pro Bowl a couple years ago. He's not Jimmy Graham, maybe more like a Jason Witten. There's nothing wrong with that, but his injury issues are a problem. He was injured at Notre Dame possibly dropping him to the 2nd round. There's plenty to like.  Then there's no other real receiving TE target and Norv Turner who loves throwing to a mismatch vs. LBs...

Ballard, Gahndi!!!!

Brandon Burton, He gone!!!!

DeMarcus Love, I'm beginning to see a pattern here!

Mistral Raymond, Hey! He's still on the team anyway. He's probably a special teams player and nothing more? He's played some, but let's not kid ourselves. He's a depth player at best...

Brandon Fusco, He's a starter, but not all that by any means. He's better than anyone else the Vikings employ at guard. That leaves plenty to be desired. He too would be a depth player on a team with good guards...

Nobody else the Vikings signed from that draft is still with the organization...I didn't go any further with this because I understand that players do need time to learn to play the pro game, but what I'm seeing is miss after miss and when there is a good player drafted the other bad picks trump the player that can play...This allows the Vikings to slip further down having no good depth at many key positions. Especially on defense!...I saw some pundits saying this was a B+ draft. Those people should be looking for another line of work!!!LOL

The Vikings will have to outscore their opponents this year, again. They did average around 24 points a game with a playbook that looked like a 3x5 card. Zimmer has a few years to get this defense sorted out, but I wouldn't dwell too long hoping Spielman  monkeypee1 will stock the team with quality players. Last years mantra while watching the Vikings was  beerme especially with #7 under center...Let's hope this young team drinks the Grape Kool-Aid Zimmer is dishing out and we have some excitement and win around 6-7 games... rainin' In Minnesota for a couple years is my guess...SKOL Brother!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:42:30 PM by kokomodan »
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline kokomodan

• Star
Re: 2010 and 2011 Draft Picks and Rick Spielman
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:02:08 AM »
Do you know that in 2008 the Vikings drafted Jaymar Johnson 12 spots ahead of Pierre Garcon?...More stellar work by the Vikings "Wish I had a brain trust."

I know I'm Cherry Picking!

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
Koko - I don't care for Spielman all that much either, but let's remember that he did not make these picks all on his own. Chili-dipstick had quite a bit of say so in these calls. I'm not saying Slick Rick is a genius or anything, but I think even he is smart enough to know that after he has had the opportunity to pick his own coaching staff and have the final say so on everything as the GM, if he doesn't get his chit together he is gone! I think that would be a good thing.  baby1
min1 stl3

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »
I know Chilly was the main cog then, but I'd bet that the scouting department and Spielman had more to do with the later round picks then. I have refrained from bringing up the years prior to Childress' firing because Chilly was the guy doing the heavy lifting then. The missing in the later rounds continues as does the remaining facet of that time frame.

Why does it seem everything Spielman brings in is an injured guy that isn't ever healthy or in the case of Schwartz a guy that could make a difference if he had been committed instead of a quick turn around...We all bitched about that awful Carlson signing and now the Jennings deal is ridiculous with no one to throw the ball to him...

Just sick of a one year chance at the Super Bowl and Childress thought because of the extension he was safe. Maybe he should have been? Moss turned into a non factor and I'm sure Spielman and Wilf being left out of the loop cost him his job...Childress did build a team that got there too bad he and Favre were like oil and water...

I'm wondering what happens if/when the injury bug hits the Vikings again. More of the same I'd suppose..."Sure depth is great, until you have to play those guys."~ Gil Brandt

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »
So...you are saying you don't like Spielman Koko ???  I'm with you to a point on him and he's going to sink or swim in the next 2 years. I still blame the Wilfs more than anything for where we are right now.....I'll say it again, I was a fan of Childress. He wasn't the most personable coach and some players didn't like him but reality is he built a team that had a legit chance at getting to the Super bowl and was one of the very best in 2009. He screwed up 2010 and needed an attitude adjustment but should not have been fired. We have now had 3 HC's, 3 OC's and 3 DC's since 2009. That alone will mess up a teams chemistry and personal.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 10:36:33 AM »
 CNA

Chilly was an OK coach. He built that team, and they were a boneheaded play, or 2, away from, In My Opinion, winning a Super Bowl...The Colts would have stood NO CHANCE, as the Vikings lit up the Saint defense...Favre and Chilly divided the team(that was the schism the media referred to) and that was that for a team that could have still been a pretty good team. The fact remains that Spielman is the remaining cog and this team has sunk like a stone since he's been the man...I believe that he should have been fired along with Frazier and the lot. AP was the only reason he wasn't. A 2000 yard season and an unexpected playoff berth. That's the only thing that keeps him employed by the Vikings...Those coaches didn't forget how to coach. They didn't have the personnel to get it done on defense...Spielman has destroyed this team!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
I think once we get  closer to draft day we should all make lists of what we hope Spielman does and shouldn't do and see where he hits or doesn't for each of us.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 09:29:24 AM »
I surely hope I never think like he does...The pick of Ponder should be enough of an indictment on his draft prowess...Just look at how many drafted players remain on this team and what type of talent level we are talking about...It's pathetic to say the least...

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »
As far as Spielman goes....his last years draft is a good one with 3 first round picks that all could be huge for us moving forward. It does go both ways so we will see. Not saying Spielman has turned into a draft guru but his most recent draft so far looks to be a real good one with lots of potential.

Offline 1hotchev

• Veteran
  • God loves a workin Man
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 07:05:22 PM »
I surely hope I never think like he does...The pick of Ponder should be enough of an indictment on his draft prowess...Just look at how many drafted players remain on this team and what type of talent level we are talking about...It's pathetic to say the least...
    the Ponder pick is surly one of the Vikings biggest screw ups of late. I hated that pick, he never looked like a leader. a friend of mine, big college fan, would always try to reassure me Ponder was going to be good, he had it going on at Florida state give him time. I would bitch and moan about that fool, finally one day when I complained about him he had to agree, ponders got nothing. the only upside of Bridgewater is he was supposed to go 1st in the draft a few months ago, Johnny football got a big ass ego and a cool nickname. I admit I'd take a gamble on Bridgewater, after that in the 3rd or 4th take the best QB left, if he don't have it, we should have a high pick next year and a stronger QB draft. but as Koko would say this is all a moot point, the top QBs will be gone.  teams will take a gamble and fail with this years group cause there might not be a next year, and for about 1/2 the GMs there shouldn't be.
PAGE NAMED NFLS MVP — In 1971 Alan Page became the first defensive player to be named the Most Valuable Player of the National Football League by the Associated Press. Page headed a Vikings defense that held opponents to fewer than 10 points a game.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 10:06:47 AM »
    the Ponder pick is surly one of the Vikings biggest screw ups of late. I hated that pick, he never looked like a leader. a friend of mine, big college fan, would always try to reassure me Ponder was going to be good, he had it going on at Florida state give him time. I would bitch and moan about that fool, finally one day when I complained about him he had to agree, ponders got nothing. the only upside of Bridgewater is he was supposed to go 1st in the draft a few months ago, Johnny football got a big ass ego and a cool nickname. I admit I'd take a gamble on Bridgewater, after that in the 3rd or 4th take the best QB left, if he don't have it, we should have a high pick next year and a stronger QB draft. but as Koko would say this is all a moot point, the top QBs will be gone.  teams will take a gamble and fail with this years group cause there might not be a next year, and for about 1/2 the GMs there shouldn't be.

I'm not hearing a bunch of talk about the greatness of any QBs except for the cat out of Oregon. I wasn't all about him anyway. The extra year will almost always help, but he would still be behind Johnny and Teddy anyway had he come out this year...Perhaps next season he will be the #1 overall...I suppose we should hope Cassel doesn't get hurt. If I have to watch Ponder's tired act any longer I may commit Hari Kari...The worst case scenario would be Cassel gets injured and Ponder has 2-3 decent games and then we get to hear that he never got a REAL chance in Minnesota....SMFH

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 10:17:08 AM »
Just took a look at the 2009 Draft for the Vikings...Percy, Loadholt, Brinkley, Sanford, and Asher Allen who many felt was the sleeper of the draft...LOL sleeper alright he got knocked the fork out a bunch!...Note to Spielman on Brinkley...You let him go to save money and then paid Erin Henderson more than you would offer Jasper. Erin was a fork up and now we are forced to watch you bumble through free agency again. I did like the 2 guys(Capt'n and Linval Joseph) he brought in at DT and CB, but gotdammed the Vikings didn't have ANYBODY, so it was an instant upgrade whoever they brought in...Honestly, the 2 MLBs the Vikings employ at this time aren't starting quality...I know many of you guys have high hopes for Audie Cole, but that's fools gold fellas...Neither can cover worth a shite and MLBs are supposed to make a chit ton of tackles...The Vikings need a Luke Kuechly. That's a player you can build a defense on. Today the Vikings DO NOT have that player on the roster, in my opinion...

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »
Just took a look at the 2009 Draft for the Vikings...Percy, Loadholt, Brinkley, Sanford, and Asher Allen who many felt was the sleeper of the draft...LOL sleeper alright he got knocked the fork out a bunch!...Note to Spielman on Brinkley...You let him go to save money and then paid Erin Henderson more than you would offer Jasper. Erin was a fork up and now we are forced to watch you bumble through free agency again. I did like the 2 guys(Capt'n and Linval Joseph) he brought in at DT and CB, but gotdammed the Vikings didn't have ANYBODY, so it was an instant upgrade whoever they brought in...Honestly, the 2 MLBs the Vikings employ at this time aren't starting quality...I know many of you guys have high hopes for Audie Cole, but that's fools gold fellas...Neither can cover worth a chite and MLBs are supposed to make a chit ton of tackles...The Vikings need a Luke Kuechly. That's a player you can build a defense on. Today the Vikings DO NOT have that player on the roster, in my opinion...

This is where CJ Mosley comes in........

I totally agree about not having starter quality at LB and especially to cover....the one thing about Cole and its more of a situational thing is he was solid when blitzing last year....I like him has a back up/situational blitzer but we do need a lot better talent to be full time starters .

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 08:35:44 AM »
How is this for an out of the box idea? The Vikes trade up to the #2 spot and take Jadaveon Clowney to play DE and move Griffen to a LB position. Then we have 2 players with size and speed on the field that could be interchangeable. Just a thought. saywha
min1 stl3

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 12:08:04 PM »
How is this for an out of the box idea? The Vikes trade up to the #2 spot and take Jadaveon Clowney to play DE and move Griffen to a LB position. Then we have 2 players with size and speed on the field that could be interchangeable. Just a thought. saywha

The Vikings already tried him at OLB and it was a fiasco...Him not being able to beat out either DE on the team is a head scratcher when you hear how talented Griffen is...Then he just plays situationally...

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
This is where CJ Mosley comes in........

I totally agree about not having starter quality at LB and especially to cover....the one thing about Cole and its more of a situational thing is he was solid when blitzing last year....I like him has a back up/situational blitzer but we do need a lot better talent to be full time starters .

Teams seem to shy away from MLBs these days...One thing for sure the MLB has to be multi faceted...Meaning he has to be able to cover and tackle and be fast/quick enough to chase sideline to sideline...Can you say needle in a haystack?

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
Teams seem to shy away from MLBs these days...One thing for sure the MLB has to be multi faceted...Meaning he has to be able to cover and tackle and be fast/quick enough to chase sideline to sideline...Can you say needle in a haystack?

Mosley is that player if his medical issue are over come.....I said it before that traditional LB is now obsolete. You need that LB/safety tweener to play with the current TE's of the league.

The one thing about Griffen is he won't be used the same way they tried to use him at DE last year. I like what Zimmers defense will look like for him...The LB will be used to attack but from various spots on the field similar in some cases to a 3-4 type defense and the DE's will be more about holding the edge and gap integrity...it's going to be interesting how they employ it and the individual roles. one player I see having some issues will be Greenway....I think he will do ok but he's not an ideal fit for this and his contract is way out of wack because of it. just don't see him with the team in a few years. Just my opinion.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 01:27:41 PM »
Wonder if there is a real big safety in this years draft that could play the middle ???

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 04:35:01 PM »
Here's what I got into today on an ESPN site...People still want to give Spielman props!

For those that continue to drone on about how Spielman has done lets go back all the way to 2007 and look at who is still on this team shall we and what round they came from shall we and be honest about the production these players have contributed...

2007- AP and Brian Robison...While these players were selected under the Chidress regime I don't give ANY credit to Spielman here, and really not until Childress was fired, but I'll list them...

2008- John Sullivan he has become a decent center when he's healthy. Thelast couple years that's not been the case...

2009- Loadholt, Brinkley, (back after he was deemed not the answer at MLB) Sanford...Of these Loadholt was resigned because AP told them they better resign him. Sanford is not a starting talent even though when he's healthy he is the starting SS.

20010- Everson Griffen...That's it nobody else is left! He signed big $ deal, but couldn't crack the starting line up even though we've heard time and again how great he is...Time to put up or shut up NOW...

2010- Ponder, Rudolph, Raymond and Fusco...Only one of these guys is a true starting talent. That being Rudolph! Fusco is the defacto right guard, but a quality guard takes his place. Raymond is a back up/special teamer...Do I need to mention Ponder?

2011- Kalil, Smith, Robinon, Wright, Ellison, Walsh, and Cole...Kalil supposed to be the 10 year answer at LT. He had a great rookie year, but stunk out loud last year?...Smith, perhaps the best pick Spielman has made? The Vikings had 13 picks that year and moving back in the 1st round was a great move considering...Robinson has been a bust. Maybe he was miscast as a nickel CB? As the starter opposite of Cook he was bad too! Wright flashed promise, but doesn't see the field much because of the Jennings signing. Ellison is a back up FB/TE/Special teamer nothing more...Walsh was a good pick, but the cap issue with Longwell figured in prominently...Audie Cole a Viking legend made in the preseason when he returned back to back INTs for TDs. He was released last year when Mauti earned the the back up MLB position. Mauti was injured and Henderson was arrested the same week. That resulted in Cole being resigned and inserted as the starter...2 weeks later IR. If he was the long term answer why resign Brinkley? Mauti is still on the roster and will be above him on the depth chart. Chances are the Vikings draft a MLB again this season and Audie Cole is no longer a Viking on opening day...

2012- Floyd, Rhodes, Patterson, Locke, Hodges, Mauti, Baca...Floyd sat most of the year serving spot duty after K. Willis returned...Rhodes was a one sided CB and that showed when he couldn't start over Josh Robinson I was really shocked as highly as he was touted. Rhodes came on some before injuries limited him again, but he has to stay on the field to be a good player...Patterson was a gem last year later especially when he showed out. Prior to that he was a really good replacement for Harvin in the kick return aspect...Locke is a punter and another cap figure draft...Hodges and Baca are special teams players and hope they don't have to play as a starter. They are young so I will give them a chance. Mauti was the guy I give him credit for, but only until it was nearly all said and done did the Vikings finally draft him. He petitioned every team to give him a chance. I'm still concerned about his knees, but he did beat out Cole before getting nicked again on one of those knees on special teams.

Then there is that segment of undrafted rookie free agents. Where are they? Marcus Sherrels a punt returner/horrible CB is on the roster...Tell me more about how great he's done drafting after round 2....I'll be waiting for rebuttals!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 05:06:49 PM »
Man...you really hate the guy Koko. You know we have him for atleast 2 more years regardless. It must be real tough for you as rooting for Spielman to fail is really rooting for the Vikings to fail ( which I know you don't).

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »
No not at all. I'd welcome being WRONG here and Spielman prove me an idiot, but "the proof is in the pudding," as they say...Look at the players on this team as of today. There is only 1 perennial Pro Bowl player on the team. That being AP...The rest are at best good to average...The rest are unproven young players that seem more often that not to NOT make a play when the Vikings really need one...

The interception totals from the last 3 years is heinous...8 in 2011. 10 in 2012, and 12 in 2013, but they didn't have an INT for a stretch of like 7 games after week 4. Their next came in a game vs. the Cowboys and Tony Romo. I didn't do the research, but I'd just about bet that is 30th or worse over that time period...Turnovers are how teams win in this league. It's probably the biggest indicator of successful defenses and teams...Having more opportunities to score and short fields help every time!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:54:11 AM by kokomodan »

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 08:57:30 AM »
You guys all know I was rooting for Ponder to be a franchise guy. We all pretty much knew he wasn't after we saw his skills after the playoff berth miracle vs. the Packers and then the playoff game that I almost wish I didn't have the misfortune to watch...The fiasco that was last year was all of Slick Rick's doing and Leslie Frazier wouldn't have mentioned it if it weren't true...I fear we are saddled with a Matt Millen clone fellas! I dare him to draft a WR. That would really just put me over the edge!

The last 3 years the Vikings have been pretty bad. I know they made the playoffs in 2012, but that 4 game win streak to close the year that netted a playoff berth was an aberration. The Vikings without AP that year would have been a basket case and 6-10 at best that year. (Probably FAR worse) That means the Vikings well could have been 14-33-1 over the course of Rick Spielman's tenure and probably are no better than that? If you recall Ponder was either 2-1 or 3-1 when he didn't pass for over 100 yards...Think about that. We all still had hopes that he had turned the corner at the end of 2012...

The season was over by week 5 last year when the Vikings lost an "UNLOSABLE" game to the Cleveland Browns...That left them 1-3 and pretty much a no hope situation. Think about what happened for the Vikings to be as close as they were last year...In Chicago Cutler goes down for about half the season. Same with the Packers and Rodgers. Then the curious case of the Detroit Lions and a total collapse that wasn't unthinkable considering that coach...

I just don't see how Spielman is defendable at this juncture. Like I said, Let him draft the guy that wins the Vikings a championship and I'll change my tune, but he's been nothing but horsechit as a GM in my opinion...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:12:51 AM by kokomodan »

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 06:06:13 PM »
1st round Hocus Pocus baby!...

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 06:13:18 PM »
I know the Vikings received Patterson, but Logan Ryan was one of the Picks the Patriots received and he had 5 INTs and  forced fumble last year...That's better than any CB the Vikings have had in a few years...

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.