Author Topic: Sporting Events in Person vs TV  (Read 846 times)

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
Sporting Events in Person vs TV
« on: May 26, 2014, 08:45:47 PM »
I've been very lucky to have attended some really big sporting events in person in my 31 years:

-"Game of the Century"  #1 Ohio State/#2 Michigan at Ohio Stadium in 2006
-AFC Championship  Steelers/Ravens at Heinz Field in 2009
-NLDS Playoff Game  Pirates/Cardinals at PNC Park last fall
(And the good guys won all three of those, so shhhh!)

Aside from those I have also been to probably 8 Steelers games, 15-20 Pirates games, 20 or so Penguins games including a few in the playoffs, and a boatload of OSU football games in almost every Big Ten stadium (student ticket plan).  I went to a few OSU basketball games in my first couple years there and didn't enjoy it at all..only watched hoops on TV ever since.

I'll be honest..for me the luster has started to wear off and in most cases I would probably be happier watching a game on television.  I've done it..they were great memories all in all but more than my fair share of aggravation too throughout the years.  HD has made the viewing much better and I'm sure the quality will only improve in the coming years.  Sitting in comfort with snacks at my beckon call and great company for a game is just fine for me.  I will definitely still go to some games in person, but it wouldn't break my heart to have some space of time in between.

Costs have gotten out of control.  For a family of four to attend an NFL game it might be a month's mortgage payment or more with the tickets, gasoline, parking, souvenirs and food if they get it all factored in.  Hockey is getting just as high.  Baseball can be better on the ticket side but the rest of the expenses are still there.  And honestly, with how so many people are conducting themselves in stadiums these days I would really have to think twice about bringing young children with me..that's a real shame.  I even worry for my wife sometimes.  We've all heard the tragic stories of visiting fans being savagely beaten outside ballparks..the group I traveled with did have to deal with confrontational fans on the road at college football games.  Even on your own turf, when people get liquored up all bets are off..and some are just plain assholes all the time.

What do you folks think?  Are you just as happy watching on TV like me or is the experience of seeing a game in person worth the hassle and expense?
If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline blacktopbully

• Icon
  • The Grandbabies :)
Re: Sporting Events in Person vs TV
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »
Great topic, Blitz..

The only games I'll attend is MLB. Baseball is made to watch live! So much to do at most parks and the sights, sounds and smells are awesome. Love live baseball..

Football.. ugh. Hate it live. My beloved Raiders are playing in New England this year and it's early in the season so it will be warm.... but I can't bring myself to go. I'd rather watch on TV. Perfect game for TV.... I would liek to go to a game in Oakland and sit in The Black Hole because of what that experiance would be like, but that's it.

Hoops.. you are right... TV only! and hockey is great live, but I really only attend a game or two a year at the AHL level.. Springfield Falcons is teh local team here and it's always a fun time.
Hello. I'm Bully. What's your name?

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Coach
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 09:25:08 AM »
I was lucky enough to win tickets to Super Bowl XL.  The lowest point of the week was the actual game. Pro football is for TV only. College football is much better live if you have a rooting interest, but it is the total experience. Tailgating with other fans, the traditional pre-game rituals, the marching bands and other pageantry. Basketball is best on TV although small town(my local high school has a total of 300 or so kids) basketball is fun. High school tournament basketball is awesome live. Hockey is without a doubt best seen live.

I see 10-12 events live every year but nothing above college.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline bluenosecanuck

• Attention Whore
  • Star
  • Aka SLKaos
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »
Like other people have said hockey is by far better in person. 

No, I'm not taking you seriously

Offline alfred41

• liver and onions Pittsburg style
  • Star
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 08:56:42 PM »
Nowadays I guess it depends on where you are sitting, and who is around you. Nothing worse than being near fans of the other team.With all the new rules about being kind haha it kinda ruins it when the away team is winning. Back in the day, win or lose a hockey game at the Spectrum rocked!

Offline burghette

• Star
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 06:29:43 PM »
Alot depends on the seating.. baseball can be better in person but NFL football yeah not so much.

I agree on moving on from attending all those college games, it was a fun memory from our time there but now that we're gone tickets are 5x the price anyway.  The band and the pageantry made the memories as much as the game. 
Go  Steelers  Buckeyes  Penguins  Nittany Lions  Pirates

Offline burghette

• Star
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 06:34:58 PM »
And we'll be going to Happy Valley for the OSU/PSU game but don't have tickets, just to hang out with my sister in town.  She has a student ticket.
Go  Steelers  Buckeyes  Penguins  Nittany Lions  Pirates

Offline Jeep99tj

• Contributing Member
  • Star
  • I shoulda been a pirate.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 06:40:07 PM »
Nowadays I guess it depends on where you are sitting, and who is around you. Nothing worse than being near fans of the other team.With all the new rules about being kind haha it kinda ruins it when the away team is winning. Back in the day, win or lose a hockey game at the Spectrum rocked!

So true about the people around you. Went to a SF Giants game at AT&T and had seats in the left field bleachers. Great seats except for the group sitting around us. One woman was all gaga over Pagan and all she could say was "that's my babies daddy". 9 god damn innings of that chit.....
I drink tequila and listen to southern rock.
Ain't none y'all funny!
I'm the black Jeep of the family.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 07:16:32 PM »
Love live hockey and baseball has gotten too expensive would rathercgo to a AA game. Much more fun less expensive and only a 15 minute drive from my house. I have been to all the local stadiiume(ny, nj and pa)for all sports except 2 . Yankee stadium and Citi Field. I have been to Shea many a time.
nym3 nyg1 notredame1 nyr2

Offline River Rat

• Home of 2017 Rats Cup
  • Super Mod
  • Coach
  • Too old for this $&#@
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 07:44:15 PM »
My Collage/Pro attendance is quite limited.  A few Reds games when I was a kid, 2 Colts games, and a few collage Football and Basketball games when I was a student.  I have been to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway numerous times for practice and qualifications for both Indy Car and NASCAR, but only attended my first race a few weeks ago.

Truth is, I can't stand the crowds, the traffic and the cost. ( Only went to the race because it was free ).  While I did enjoy the Colts games, I really don't think I would enjoy going to multiple games in a season.  Its one of those things that is great ...... in small and widely scattered doses.

On the other hand, the only way I can even come close to watching Baseball is live. 

Went out last night and got really wasted. 
I woke up in the middle of the night next to some chick who was snoring and farting, so I knew I made it home OK.

Offline andyham1

• Star
  • ..RJ.....Rest in Peace, friend! We will miss you
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »
JUST FOUND THIS TOPIC!
I attend college football games in season (LSU) every year!
I dont waste my money on the NBA, New Orleans Pelicans and quite frankley dont watch em on TV either.When I lived in San Antonio, I watched on tv and went to as many Spur games as possible(I lived there for several NBA titles and got to know Timmy D thru a biz I owned there)But the Spurs are not your typical NBA franchise, so its unfair to compare them to anyone or thing in Pro basketball!
Pro Basketball is just as good for me on TV, actually better cuz I dont miss very much and the pageantry is nonexistent in the NBA, in person.
Hockey is brand new to me. As a matter of fact, I just started paying attention to it this year with the Stanley Cup and I am an old MF! grin1
I have become addicted to the TV version but everyone tells me (that really knows the sport)LIVE IS THE BEST and Tv does it NO JUSTICE! I cant wait for my first game live, but not too many opportunities in the deep south!
I have been to too many Pro football games to count or even remember, with the Superdome in my native city. I have attended SuperBowls, back when they didnt sell out years in advance. I saw KC beat the Vikes as a kid(with Hank Stram) I saw Terry Bradshaw play in one, saw the Dolphins and Cowboys...and I am sorry but back then they had a different impact, even on a kid! I never saw a modern era SuperBowl Live though.
I think I have seen every Super Bowl on Tv though, so for me TV is better!
...regular season NFL is too...even though I saw Tom Dempseys' record FG live in Tulane Stadium
 OJ Simpson, Archie Manning, Roman Gabrial, Don Shula,
Jim Taylor, Bert Jones, etc, etc play in the Dome as well as old Tulane Stadium
For me all college Sports are better in person, except maybe the Championship games for that obvious reason of spirit and pageantry!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:04:47 AM by andyham1 »
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
BCS NCG 2003,07, and 11
NCAA FINAL FOUR 1953,81 86,87,2006
NCAA CWS 1986,87,89,90,91,93,94,96,97,98,2000,03,04,09

Offline Tx_Sports

• Icon
  • Go Rangers!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
Just getting too corporate.
dal1  tex3