Author Topic: Zimmer's New Defense  (Read 488 times)

Offline Simmion

• Star
Zimmer's New Defense
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:18:46 PM »
My excitement doesn't just go towards Teddy B.  We mentioned this on the other thread.  I think a thread just for defense is appropriate.

The fact that we will be seeing a brand new defense has me so freaking excited.  I know we've all said this before, but I would come in to work Monday with just bloody eyes because I tried to hold in my anger watching any accurate QB carve up that pathetic style they called a defense. 

I just keep hearing things like hybrid,  Safety rotation, blitzing,  aggressive, fresh.

Not this; your Right DE has to get 15 sacks.  Your CBs sit on a bubble and your MLB has to be able to chase the TE straight down the middle of the field.  The rest of you, just do whatever. That seemed to be all it took to shape up that tampa two.  And we ran that crap for what. 6-7 straight years? 

Anyone have thoughts on this.  The reason I ask, I don't know much about 3-4.  I think Zimmer has these formations as part of his playbooks.  Like would Linval Joseph play that middle.  Would Shariff play a DE in 3-4.  Would Robison stand up?  Or have you heard of any other formations 3-3-5.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
Re: Zimmer's New Defense
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:56:53 PM »
My excitement doesn't just go towards Teddy B.  We mentioned this on the other thread.  I think a thread just for defense is appropriate.

The fact that we will be seeing a brand new defense has me so freaking excited.  I know we've all said this before, but I would come in to work Monday with just bloody eyes because I tried to hold in my anger watching any accurate QB carve up that pathetic style they called a defense. 

I just keep hearing things like hybrid,  Safety rotation, blitzing,  aggressive, fresh.

Not this; your Right DE has to get 15 sacks.  Your CBs sit on a bubble and your MLB has to be able to chase the TE straight down the middle of the field.  The rest of you, just do whatever. That seemed to be all it took to shape up that tampa two.  And we ran that crap for what. 6-7 straight years? 

Anyone have thoughts on this.  The reason I ask, I don't know much about 3-4.  I think Zimmer has these formations as part of his playbooks.  Like would Linval Joseph play that middle.  Would Shariff play a DE in 3-4.  Would Robison stand up?  Or have you heard of any other formations 3-3-5.

It's still a 4-3 defense Simmion just the responsiblities are totally different. From what they have said about it is the main purpose of the defensive end is the run....it's about stuffing the run or run blitz from that position. The LB's are used similar to a 3-4 and they are the ones who will be used in a number of blitz packages...thing is with thsi defense is they will mix everything up which is awesome...everyone down the line and LB core will get a piece of the action on the QB. Don't expect high sack totals for any individual but more of a combined team effort.

There should be lots of ups and downs with thsi defense early on but long run we should be real solid...same goes for teh offense

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 07:47:10 AM »
I had heard it was primary 4-3.  But that he had different hybrid packages to mix in.  Either way.  GOOD BYE TAMPA TWO!
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:14:16 PM »
I had heard it was primary 4-3.  But that he had different hybrid packages to mix in.  Either way.  GOOD BYE TAMPA TWO!

AMEN...no more tampon two.

In away it should be fun having the real tough part of the schedule early on...the elament of surprise will be on our side to start the season.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
I hope we surprise about 4 out of our first 6 opponents! If we could win 4 of the first 6 games we would be in an incredible position for the rest of the season. nutkick
min1 stl3

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 07:28:21 AM »
I hope we surprise about 4 out of our first 6 opponents! If we could win 4 of the first 6 games we would be in an incredible position for the rest of the season. nutkick

If we win 4 out of the first 6 games Zimmer should get coach of the year for that stretch alone.....I hope you are right BtlsFan....That would be awesome if we did.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 08:57:25 AM »
Do doubt Hutch! If we won 4 out of the first 6 Zimmer should be Coach of the year. Then we could have AD get MVP and Teddy get Offensive Rookie of the Year, and Barr get Defensive Rookie of the Year. It would be a clean sweep. Oh and have Harrison Smith for comeback player of the year. perfect10
min1 stl3

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:58:12 AM »
That was supposed to be No Doubt Hutch!
min1 stl3

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 07:04:01 PM »
Do doubt Hutch! If we won 4 out of the first 6 Zimmer should be Coach of the year. Then we could have AD get MVP and Teddy get Offensive Rookie of the Year, and Barr get Defensive Rookie of the Year. It would be a clean sweep. Oh and have Harrison Smith for comeback player of the year. perfect10

That would be incredible.....and really, not that wild of a prediction ( maybe a little wild). I can very easily see Barr having a huge year with Zimmer as a rookie. I see Patterson having a real solid year along with Rudolph. As much as I want him to I don't think AD will fit well into this offense of Turners and realistically think this could be his last season as a viking unless he really restructures his contract.

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.