Author Topic: 2014 Vikings Training Camp  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
Re: 2014 Vikings Training Camp
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2014, 05:03:48 PM »
I don't know, hutch. We are thin, sure.  But I don't know if we need a veteran safety.  It may be rough right away.  But let's trust the coach's (being this early in his tenure) picks thinking they can teach them.  That's kind of the point I was getting at.  Keep the few vets we have who are known starters, but not sign guys who "know the system" who will be average at best, just to get someone in there.  It will end up being guys who should be getting time to learn, not getting the time, because they aren't good right away.

I do agree with you Simmion.....I am all in on the coaches especially with Turner so not questioning any of their choices. I fully expect this transition on defense to take a few years and that transition will be with some younger talent. My point and it goes to what Koko said about the guaranteed contracts after week one. We physically don't have enough safeties going into the season IMO and that is one position that could still get tweeked .

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2014, 08:45:22 AM »
I do agree with you Simmion.....I am all in on the coaches especially with Turner so not questioning any of their choices. I fully expect this transition on defense to take a few years and that transition will be with some younger talent. My point and it goes to what Koko said about the guaranteed contracts after week one. We physically don't have enough safeties going into the season IMO and that is one position that could still get tweeked .

I think that is why Josh Robinson made the team Hutch. They are looking at having him play safety from time to time not just as a nickel CB.
min1 stl3

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2014, 09:49:54 AM »
I think that is why Josh Robinson made the team Hutch. They are looking at having him play safety from time to time not just as a nickel CB.

I question his size and tackling skills at safety. He has plenty of speed, but watch him when the ball is in the air and he is always late getting that head around. he has remained because of his draft status. The only thing you can't teach/coach is speed. He's got that! He has closing ability, but needs to show better ball skills. Hey. I hope whomever they do finally settle on at SS can make strides and be what the Vikings have lacked for quite a while at that position...
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2014, 09:50:46 AM »
I'm seeing reports of Prater moving to safety. That could work out better than Robinson in my opinion...What do I know?

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »

Didn't know that BtlsFan....That would be an interesting move. I do wonder about his size but like Koko mentioned you can't teach speed and CB's generallly make for solid safeties. We'll see how his tackling works out. Really want to see how they are going to use both the LBs and safeties and what types of packages they will put on the field. This is going to be such a huge change from what we have been accustom to.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2014, 10:10:19 AM »
The first game should be a nice warm up for our defense before we get into some really solid offenses.....scary

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2014, 10:22:43 AM »
Just read an article Prater is getting a good look at safety.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
Duke Ihenacho and Champ Baily come to mind now that the season is a few days away. Ihenacho started most of the season with the Broncos last year at the SS position and had decent stats. 89 tackles and 9 deflections...Champ Bailey would have to move from CB, but he might be better than a couple on the depth chart as of today. The questions are could he play at SS, and would he take a pay cut?

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »
Well it appears Blanton has the SS position and Brinkley has the MLB position.  Not sure how long Blanton will last as starter.  But that was the intent back when we drafted him.  Blanton being a CB in college moving to SS aside former teammate Harry Smith. 

But the way it sounds, Zimmer constantly rotates his DBs.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »
Well it appears Blanton has the SS position and Brinkley has the MLB position.  Not sure how long Blanton will last as starter.  But that was the intent back when we drafted him.  Blanton being a CB in college moving to SS aside former teammate Harry Smith. 

But the way it sounds, Zimmer constantly rotates his DBs.

Brinkley will be part time....the guy is not good in coverage and that will be a problem. Once teams start to expose him Zimmer IMO will make the adjustment and bench his butt on passing downs.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2014, 06:51:19 AM »
Should be an interesting game tonight....In Seattle and Green Bay has a new rookie centre because of injury...Oh man is he going to get killed, talk about the toughest assignment ever for your very first snaps in the NFL. HEHEHE can't wait lol.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2014, 11:26:31 AM »
Prater would be good at SS Koko! I just read an article where Zimmer said he thinks a DB should be able to play multiple positions so I think we may see him experiment with several people. I am just excited to see real football again. I am glad that we get to test our Defense out real time before we face Brady next week.
min1 stl3

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
Prater would be good at SS Koko! I just read an article where Zimmer said he thinks a DB should be able to play multiple positions so I think we may see him experiment with several people. I am just excited to see real football again. I am glad that we get to test our Defense out real time before we face Brady next week.

Exactly.....on a side note, does anyone really think Brinkley can cover Gronk????    Me neither... .

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2014, 02:25:01 PM »
Audie Cole will be rotated in too. That said, my phone just auto-corrected "rotated" to "roasted" so either way that is going to be tough. The next week at New Orleans too. Oh well the Vikes can't fix it all in one year.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »
Agree VeN, they can't fix it all in one year.  On defense I really want to see the run defense. Zimmer is huge into engaging blockers and gap assignments. Fully expect to be issues against the pass but hopefully we are real solid against the run. On offense want to see how they will use Patterson and AD, this could be an electric offense.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2014, 08:42:36 AM »
I agree Hutch! I would rather see them win it all in 2 years when they host the Super Bowl and can play at home in the new stadium. How sweet would that be? CNA
min1 stl3

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2014, 09:02:33 AM »
Here's the deal at MLB. They will be playing nickel much of the time when you see the WRs the Vikings will often face. Audie Cole is NOT that much better in coverage, if he is better in coverage than Brinkley. Just re-watch the preseason games and the look of the defense when Jasper is in as opposed to when Cole is in. It's night and day fellas. Teams moved right down the field when Cole was in and when Jasper was in the defense looked tons better. Jasper is in on plays where Cole is still trying to get there.

About last night's game...Hahahahaha! I simply love when the Packers get their asses handed to them. That's what happened last night. If I was a Packer fan I would be a bit worried. Last night's game set a tone. Not a good one either. The lack of a TE that can be a dominating presence will hurt this team. Quarrels doesn't send fear into anyone. The line was shaky and teams that can run waves of d-linemen in on Rodgers will feast on sacks. Not every team has those type of line depth, but the Vikings, Bears, and Lions do. That's not good news for the Packers. This also may be the poorest receiving crew Rodgers has had to work with. Concussion for Lacey isn't what the Packers wanted either. Lucky for them they get the extra time off this week.  Their defense looked like they didn't want to tackle Lynch last night. Should the Packers middle be exposed again like last night it could be a long season for Packer fans. Ball control and keep Aaron Rodgers off the field could b the recipe for success vs. them...

I've been listening to players that played for teams that were in the midst of a new stadium. Hadn't really put too much stock into that aspect, but everyone I've listened to, former player wise, has likened it to playing on the road every week. This is a young team and I'm not sure how they handle this, but the talk has me a little worried. What this could do is teach a young team to play on the road well in the future, if it's like the former players are right about this situation?...SKOL Brother!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »
Regarding Cole and Brinkley I don't think either is the answer at that position.....Hopefully next draft or FA brings us our long term answer at that position. Whether it be a LB or big atheletic safety to fill that role.

Regarding last nights game I am still so pissed the Vikings let the best all round play in the league go....Harvin just makes everyone better and his new team mates are gushing about him on both sides of the ball. Russell Wilson made a point of talking about him on his press conference. Seattle is one scary team.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »
Yeah they looked awfully good last night!...I don't think either is a great option also. The Vikings really need to win Sunday. They looked so good in pre season I would expect them to continue to do so...AP talking about taking it to the house on his 1st carry has me thinking that a play action pas may result when the Rams crash the line to stop his effort. Could be a great ploy on the Vikings part. Should that work then they will have to play honest the rest of the game which would allow AP room to operate. Then again, if he were to house that 1st run it really wouldn't surprise me. The guy is amazing!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2014, 04:41:53 PM »
It would be hilarious if AD ran the first one to the house but I like the play action idea....Cassell should be under pressure a fair bit, that Rams front is pretty good. Quick slants to Patterson or Jennings works for me and AD in the screen game too.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »
I agree Hutch! I would rather see them win it all in 2 years when they host the Super Bowl and can play at home in the new stadium. How sweet would that be? CNA

That's the dream.....win it all in the new stadium

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2014, 10:56:05 PM »
I could forsee a trick play to Patterson.  In all honesty. A play action deep pass is too predictable.  I see a first play dive, second play playaction deep pass.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2014, 10:57:22 PM »
No first play SHABANG!.  Its the first play.  Meh... ok they are just going whatever... second play BAM!!!

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.