Author Topic: 2014 Vikings Training Camp  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Simmion

• Star
Re: 2014 Vikings Training Camp
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »
Ben Leber also said he hears Anthony Barr is the real deal. Put Loadholt on his ass and thats a big ass to plant (get your minds out of the gutters!). They are going to just make him rush the QB from all areas on the defensive edge.  He has to learn to play his position other than just rushing the passer, but will focus on what he does well first, then teach other areas.  I am still wary of his overall ability, but glad they will start him what he does well first then teach him the rest of the game.  I am feeling better about him in this system as I was before. I heard 5-2 type of defense.  But he won't be in a 3 point stance.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 09:24:14 PM »
Really liked when we drafted Yankey,. Not sure hell start game 1 but think he will be a solid player for us when he finally does.
Is Richardson even practicing........Hope they can hang on to him for the year and hopefully his knee gets better.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 09:30:42 PM »
Ben Leber also said he hears Anthony Barr is the real deal. Put Loadholt on his ass and thats a big ass to plant (get your minds out of the gutters!). They are going to just make him rush the QB from all areas on the defensive edge.  He has to learn to play his position other than just rushing the passer, but will focus on what he does well first, then teach other areas.  I am still wary of his overall ability, but glad they will start him what he does well first then teach him the rest of the game.  I am feeling better about him in this system as I was before. I heard 5-2 type of defense.  But he won't be in a 3 point stance.

I think Barr was able to get with the perfect team and coach. I agree he needs to learn his position(s) and this is not going to happen over night but man there is something about the kids natural ability to do things very well....Think he has super star written all over him and hopefully Zimmer and the coaches can get it out of him.

This is where not taking a QB at 9 was a huge move......

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »
Regarding Richardson, he made a remark that he said Griffen is better than Clowney......Interesting remark. Can't wait to see how Griffen and Barr will be moved around...could be real interesting.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 08:38:53 AM »
I see on the first depth chart that Jabari Price is listed second on the depth chart. Not bad for a 7th round pick. nutkick
min1 stl3

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 08:43:06 AM »
I see on the first depth chart that Jabari Price is listed second on the depth chart. Not bad for a 7th round pick. nutkick

That's awesome.....guess he is really impressing the coaches.....man, we need more of these late round picks to have some sort of impact on the team.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »

I saw that too!  About time we get some late round guys to contribute.  Excited for Friday!
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 07:46:09 PM »
Game time tomorrow.  I love the first game because of the amount of rookies you see.  I am a big fan of building a team so I always like to see what type of style the new guys have.  I am jacked to see Anthony Barr play.  I want to see how big he is compared to other NFL guys.  6'6" although looks skinny, he is built.  At the current moment still wished Khalil Mack was there for us to take. 

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2014, 07:24:53 AM »
Still scratching my head about AC Leonard? Guy has some skills. Evidently he has NO smarts?
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 11:13:55 AM »
Yeah a bit confusing.  He is either a complete dolt or lacks any maturity (late nights, doesn't study, doesn't listen or into drugs).  Vikings were probably like Ok, good luck with this work ethic and brains.

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2014, 12:25:08 PM »
I kept hearing that he was sitting out of practice because of headaches.  Not migraines but just headaches

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 06:51:31 AM »
I kept hearing that he was sitting out of practice because of headaches.  Not migraines but just headaches

Yeah....that's the only thing I heard too......

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 09:20:29 AM »
Ok fellas...Now that I have watched the 1st preseason game here are a few thoughts and who stood out in my mind...

Theilen played well. It looks like he could be in at the 5th WR spot and special teams guy. Pete commented on him looking like Walsh, one of my favorite players that excelled when others seemed more talented.

Cassel looks better that Bridgewater at this point. That's not a problem in my mind. he should be. I liked what Cassel was able to do and the offense looks like it could be pretty good this season. Bridgewater getting stripped was the only real bad play he made and he never saw the guy, so....

McKinnon looked pretty good. Should fit Norv's scheme pretty well. Asiata looked really good too...

The guy that made a solid performance was Yankey. He missed a twist that resulted in a Ponder sack, but he would have held the ball too long anyway. Have I ever told you I really loath Christian Ponder? I believe by mid season, or sooner, he will be the starting RG.

I liked the way the secondary played. They got their hands on several balls.

The MLB position looked good for the most part. What I took away was that Audie Cole is still in danger of NOT making this squad. The reason you ask? When he got his playing time. Actions speak louder than words and when you play is an indicator. That means he's at least 3rd on the depth chart. Call me stupid if you will, but there will be a few surprise cuts. Should Zimmer believe there is a better option Cole could well be on the outside looking in. Then again injuries could well determine that as well. I saw Zimmer chewing Cole's ear after 1 play in particular. Not really sure why as he was in on the tackle?

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 04:42:26 PM »
I really want to see us a get a little healthier at the safety position...I wonder how many times we will be using a middle LB......or have a safety in that role. Whom ever they use they better be able to cover.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2014, 07:27:50 AM »
The one thing I keep having to remind myself when it comes to what to expect this season is there is so much NEW. New coaches, new schemes on both offense and defense and many new players. When we brought in Zimmer and Turner for me it was about a few years down the road and developing a top end team for the new stadium.......We are doing that and have added many top end young talented players that need to develop and be coached up. When it's all said and done I honestly believe we will have that team by then.....but like years past the biggest unknown is the QB position.....I really hope Teddy is the answer.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2014, 09:38:15 AM »
The one thing I keep having to remind myself when it comes to what to expect this season is there is so much NEW. New coaches, new schemes on both offense and defense and many new players. When we brought in Zimmer and Turner for me it was about a few years down the road and developing a top end team for the new stadium.......We are doing that and have added many top end young talented players that need to develop and be coached up. When it's all said and done I honestly believe we will have that team by then.....but like years past the biggest unknown is the QB position.....I really hope Teddy is the answer.

The way the 1st team offense moved, albeit was the Raiders, it appears the offense may be able to keep the Vikings in games until the defense has the kinks worked out. Yes the Vikings defense didn't allow the raiders to get past the 50 until late in the 2nd quarter, but it was the 1st pre season game and defenses are usually better than offenses this time of year...I believe that Zimmer and Turner have really hit the ground running. I still have concerns with the safety situation as well...Cassel keep the seat warm for a new shooter. I just hope it isn't real early in the season, because if that's the case we Viking fans will be having a bad year...A 3-3 start would be a HUGE success. I'm always hoping for better, but it's all new...

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 09:41:39 AM »
One thing we haven't talked about on here is the refs really enforcing the illegal contact after 5 yards. I was watching the bears/eagles game and if this is going to be the way it is going to be called there is going to be a lot of teams airing it out this year. The rule hasn't changed but in previous years they let a lot of contact go....well, I guess that's over. I personally think this is going to really change the type of skill set you"ll see teams look for in their DB's and I think the middle LB position as we know it will be obsolete......A lot more 5 DB sets. The good news is both our offense and defense are switching to schemes and hopefully play calling that'll take advantage of this change.

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »
This is a few posts back, and I definitely think we got a steal with Yankey in the 5th, but you think he'll be taking Fusco's job, not Johnson's job this season, koko? Everything I've heard is that Fusco just keeps getting better. I didn't get to see the first preseason game though. Still, I'd bet on Yankey being the LG.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »
This is a few posts back, and I definitely think we got a steal with Yankey in the 5th, but you think he'll be taking Fusco's job, not Johnson's job this season, koko? Everything I've heard is that Fusco just keeps getting better. I didn't get to see the first preseason game though. Still, I'd bet on Yankey being the LG.

I agree.  Fusco comes from a smaller school so he has more of a learning curve.  I haven't seen any plays (well maybe a couple) that he just looks over matched.  I think Johnson's age and the fact that I have seen him get beat, makes more sense to replace him.  He is on the down turn in his career as far as effectiveness. 

::EDIT::

The pocket in my opinion of the game forced the QBs to go to their right which told me Johnson was getting trucked.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
Yeah...I agree about Johnson too.....Fusco is finally developing.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »
The way the 1st team offense moved, albeit was the Raiders, it appears the offense may be able to keep the Vikings in games until the defense has the kinks worked out. Yes the Vikings defense didn't allow the raiders to get past the 50 until late in the 2nd quarter, but it was the 1st pre season game and defenses are usually better than offenses this time of year...I believe that Zimmer and Turner have really hit the ground running. I still have concerns with the safety situation as well...Cassel keep the seat warm for a new shooter. I just hope it isn't real early in the season, because if that's the case we Viking fans will be having a bad year...A 3-3 start would be a HUGE success. I'm always hoping for better, but it's all new...

I'd be really excited if we were 3-3 to start. Regarding the offense I want to see how they are going to use AD and what the WR sets are going to look like. Greg Jennings made a comment about players needing to know when coverages are drawn to them how to exploit that and make it easier for their team mates who will be open to make plays. He said he was surprised it has never been a point of emphasis in Minnesota and said that needs to change if the team wants to be truly successful. I'm really starting to like Jennings and hopefully that kind of mentality settles in with the rest of the players.....on any given down atleast one of either Jennings, Patterson or Rudolph will have a huge mismatch with AD in the back field. I'm sure Turner will allow whom ever is the QB to take advantage of that....not like previous years.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »

I meant LG...sorry like Charlie Johnson!

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2014, 08:59:52 AM »
Happened to see a few plays from the 49er preseason game the other day. What do I see? Freaking Cook making an INT...Had to laugh and SMFH...That doubled his career INT number from his Vikings days...#wasteddraftpick...#suckmycrank

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2014, 09:03:57 AM »
So I watched the Vikings game and here are a few observations...

Matt Cassel was really good Saturday night. He appears to be the starter unless he regresses. Teddy played nearly as well. I say that because of the quality of defenders he faced. While leading the team for a come from behind victory I hope you see why I felt he was the QB for the Vikings all along. He was ready for those blitz packages and he didn't disappoint me leading the final drive...He looked better than Ponder EVER did in that preseason game. I believe he is the long term answer. The offense looks like it could be something for sure.

Audie Cole, my personal whipping boy played plenty with the 1st team as well as the rest of the game. Paul Allen said that Brinkley will enter the season at the MLB position and I believe that as well. If you get a chance watch the double reverse the Cards ran. The contain guy Price fled his contain position, but Cole was nearly as far out of position. he's pretty slow to react and seems to show up to the football after the play has been made. I now believe he will make the team, but the packages the Vikings will use most will keep the MLB position off the field. Greenway and Barr will likely play more often with the 3rd CB on the field. Getting back to Barr. This guy looks like he could be any sort. he's really good rushing the passer and is fast enough to cover whomever out of the backfield. Be it RB or TE. His ceiling is way up there and will only get better with time at the position...I liked the look of #20 Coleman as well. he appears to be around the football when he's on the field. he put a big lick on one of the Cards and I love a safety that will bring the wood!...Sherrels just keep surprising. While I'm still not sold on his coverage skills. he continues to make plays on special teams. Speaking of special teams, Walsh is leaving me scratching my head. Is he merely a guy that needs perfect weather conditions to be successful? If so, that doesn't bode well for us Viking fans in tight contests outside in the throes of winter. maybe Lock is the problem as the holder? He needs to make kicks and by missing that extra point allowed the cards to have a chance to win it late...

What is really exciting is that AP hasn't even seen the field and the offense looks really good. I'm wondering how defenses will have to play vs. this team that has nearly a set roster for the 1st string. They have solid weapons all over the field, and should the defense perform like Zimmer's defenses usually do this could be a balanced attack. I've been ok with the special teams with the exception of Walsh, but hey, the future sure is brightening up. Just keep the injury bug from this team...SKOL Brother!

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »
Sherels bothers me to no end while playing defense.  He can ST all he wants, but keep him on the sidelines when we are on defense.

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.