Author Topic: 2014 Vikings Training Camp  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Simmion

• Star
Re: 2014 Vikings Training Camp
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »
I am getting close to level "Koko" with my hatred and constant posts about one player.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »
Sherels bothers me to no end while playing defense.  He can ST all he wants, but keep him on the sidelines when we are on defense.

I'm with you! Sherrels continues to make plays on special teams, but watching him in coverage is a fiasco waiting to happen. I see the Vikings brought in a LB from the Lions...That tells me that Zimmer isn't sold on either Brinkley or Cole. The dude is supposed to be a freakish athlete. I just hope he can cover because Cole and Brinkley are liabilities in that area!
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »
I'm with you! Sherrels continues to make plays on special teams, but watching him in coverage is a fiasco waiting to happen. I see the Vikings brought in a LB from the Lions...That tells me that Zimmer isn't sold on either Brinkley or Cole. The dude is supposed to be a freakish athlete. I just hope he can cover because Cole and Brinkley are liabilities in that area!

We may be another year away from having the right personal for defense. Too many weak links that some of the more talented offense may light us up especially early on. Time will tell and hopefully we see a lot of bend but don't break but we better stay healthy. The good news is we are developing an offense, that if we fall behind, will be designed to air it out if needed. What a nice change that will be from the conservative crap we've had for way too long. I can see a few 34-31 type games in our near future.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 08:56:53 AM »
There was a comment on the other site that brought up a good question.  Why is Jerome Simpson still being considered?  His off field issues leading to suspension, his none "head and shoulders" talent above Rodney Smith or Adam Theilen.  Just move on.  I brought up that he is OK at a deep threat, but he won't be muscling any balls away from anyone.  Maybe he is more effective at blocking that we think in the run game, but it just doesn't seem like he is that much of a talent to keep on the team despite his troubles.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2014, 10:04:16 AM »
There was a comment on the other site that brought up a good question.  Why is Jerome Simpson still being considered?  His off field issues leading to suspension, his none "head and shoulders" talent above Rodney Smith or Adam Theilen.  Just move on.  I brought up that he is OK at a deep threat, but he won't be muscling any balls away from anyone.  Maybe he is more effective at blocking that we think in the run game, but it just doesn't seem like he is that much of a talent to keep on the team despite his troubles.

Good points Simmion, but what he has in his favor s game tape and some pretty good plays on his behalf. The other 2 not so much. I'm not a HUGE fan of Simpson. He has had his issues off the field as well. Sooner or later that chit bites you in the ass when the talent level is similar, or your suspended ass leaves you out of the contest. If he is released I can understand why...

Offline Arasmis

• NFC North Champions 4 years running: Green Bay Packers!
  • Battle God
  • Star
  • Is it Football season yet?
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2014, 10:30:41 AM »
The moment of the day in practice came when Chad Greenway dropped an interception and angrily kicked the ball into the trees just east of the Vikings' practice field. The ball got stuck in a tree, and several minutes later, Greenway walked into the woods with another football in his hand to perform the old throw-one-ball-into-the-tree-to-knock-the-other-one-down trick. "Didn't you guys do this as a kid?" Greenway said. Seconds later, he emerged with both footballs, proclaiming it'd only taken him one shot to dislodge the one he'd kicked into the tree.

I was really good at this as a kid.  I wonder if the Vikings could use me on their roster?

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2014, 01:20:48 PM »

Sadly we still do need him....he is our clear number 3 WR and a very important one as the talent or should I say experience level drops way off. Smith and Theilen have shown some promise but at this stage they do not compare to |Simpson. Do I think this is his last season with the Vikings??/ Yes and I see us drafting another WR next year to fill that void......He's a player that as a number 3 WR could get some very favourable match ups assuming he is able to play......

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2014, 03:45:54 PM »
Sadly we still do need him....he is our clear number 3 WR and a very important one as the talent or should I say experience level drops way off. Smith and Theilen have shown some promise but at this stage they do not compare to |Simpson. Do I think this is his last season with the Vikings??/ Yes and I see us drafting another WR next year to fill that void......He's a player that as a number 3 WR could get some very favourable match ups assuming he is able to play......

We may be in prime position to draft a WR with our first pick.  Dependant on how our defense plays this year.  It seems we have the ability to take a best overall talent at WR than a need.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2014, 09:36:14 PM »
We may be in prime position to draft a WR with our first pick.  Dependant on how our defense plays this year.  It seems we have the ability to take a best overall talent at WR than a need.

We seem to do well with best available, especially with higher up picks. Next year is a long way away but realistically IMO the top 3 picks...depending on FA ....will probably be WR, CB and safety.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2014, 05:26:04 PM »
Team looked solid.  A few mistakes here and there.  But I liked what the new guys did.  Josh Robinson's first game back looked pedestrian then Marcus Sherels came in and let in a bunch of completions. ::sigh::

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2014, 08:20:38 PM »
Well...Sam Bradford is done for the year.....after week 1 we should trade Ponder to them.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »
Maybe we can trade them Ponder for a WR. perfect10
min1 stl3

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2014, 02:37:28 PM »
Haven't watched the game so don't tell me the score...But seriously, They named Cassel the starter and I'm certainly OK with that, but Teddy is getting closer. Honestly, I believe that Cassel may be the best choice, as of today, but the gap should continue to decrease. Hey I hope Cassel leads the Vikings to a Super Bowl Victory. He better do it this year though because from what I've seen in Teddy B. we have the makings of a pretty darn good starting caliber QB for some time to come and he's only gonna get better. I can state that he has looked better than Ponder has EVER looked in the pre season games he has played in. The kid looks like he doesn't get too rattled which unfortunately for CP may have been his downfall...I'm on the verge of gloating about his showing already, but I'll refrain because we have all seen how fast things can, and do, change. I feel bad for Sam Bradford, not so much the Rams, because that's the 1st game on the docket...12 days till fooseball, SKOL Brother!

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »
Well...Sam Bradford is done for the year.....after week 1 we should trade Ponder to them.

Hutch I may have just chubbed up with that statement. They do need someone and in a hurry!...LOL...Too bad we would end up getting a 7th rounder out of the guy...

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »
Hutch I may have just chubbed up with that statement. They do need someone and in a hurry!...LOL...Too bad we would end up getting a 7th rounder out of the guy...

If they do trade Ponder to the Rams some have stated there could be a clause for higher pick if Ponder plays more.....Considering Hill is the Rams highest ranked QB right now that's a real possibility.

Regarding Teddy, I'm glad he gets to sit and learn for a while...really didn't want to see him get killed with those tough early games we play.  Cassell has earned it so far and hopefully its a successful season for him and the team

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2014, 05:52:28 PM »
If they do trade Ponder to the Rams some have stated there could be a clause for higher pick if Ponder plays more.....Considering Hill is the Rams highest ranked QB right now that's a real possibility.

Regarding Teddy, I'm glad he gets to sit and learn for a while...really didn't want to see him get killed with those tough early games we play.  Cassell has earned it so far and hopefully its a successful season for him and the team

Good thoughts for sure...

I just watched the 3rd pre season game...Audie Cole was simply awful with the 1st team and Brinkley will be your starter. When the 1st team was in and Audie played the Chiefs moved the ball pretty consistent. Not so with Brinkley in there. The Vikings got a pretty good pass rush the entire game and when the Chiefs did finally score it was well after the game was put away. If you have it on DVR watch it over and pay close attention to Cole and how he looked as compared to Brinkley. Jasper was all over the place and Cole was as usual meandering. He did make a few plays, but MLBs are supposed to make tackles. He's not nearly as solid as Brinkley looked...I haven't seen Cole play special teams and that will be where he plays most of the time, in my opinion...

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2014, 09:00:49 PM »
That's going to be a major issue for us this year and not really sure what the short term solution is at MLB or safety for that matter. We are going to be vulnerable in the middle of the field......hopefully things change but it's not looking promising right now.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2014, 09:25:38 AM »
I bet they'd look at Ryan Mallet before Ponder.  Everone knows his talents and limitations. 

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2014, 09:55:25 AM »
I bet they'd look at Ryan Mallet before Ponder.  Everone knows his talents and limitations. 

I bet they look at ANYONE before they approach the Vikings about Ponder...Yeah, I'm still not happy with that pick!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2014, 04:11:53 PM »
I bet they look at ANYONE before they approach the Vikings about Ponder...Yeah, I'm still not happy with that pick!

Just being curious.......if you could only have one of two guys to QB the Vikings which one would you pick Koko.....the choices are Ponder or T.Jackson. Not much of a choice but if you had to make it which one would you pick.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
T-Jack is the no brainer there Hutch! He had the jumps, but he could at least throw the ball down field.
min1 stl3

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2014, 04:29:08 PM »
I'm just guessing here, but if the Rams want to get a QB I would say they call Kyle Orton up. They don't have to give up anything because the Cowboys released him when he said he wanted to retire early. So he is out there just waiting for the call to say he can start.
min1 stl3

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »
 You'll like Zim. And Norv is still a great OC......even if he doesn't have much to work with in the QB ranks....LOL!

I'll be rooting for Zim........and maybe I won't even visit you guys this year with your favorite SN!
 U Lost The Game!

Maybe!
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Coach
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »
You'll like Zim. And Norv is still a great OC......even if he doesn't have much to work with in the QB ranks....LOL!

I'll be rooting for Zim........and maybe I won't even visit you guys this year with your favorite SN!
 U Lost The Game!

Maybe!

I oght to copy that pic for the Cowboys 10 losses
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »
I oght to copy that pic for the Cowboys 10 losses
That's why I'm not sure if I'm going to have Fog change my SN this year........LOL! I mean how many times do you really want to rub it in to your own fan base?

I still use it on the WSOP site though.
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.