Author Topic: NASCAR 2015 Silly Season thread  (Read 636 times)

Offline Ben Rinaldi

• NASCAR Pick 3 Manager
  • Board Mod
  • Star
NASCAR 2015 Silly Season thread
« on: June 22, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »
Still got a couple months before the off-season officially begins, but I figured it would be a good idea to get a thread going to discuss and keep track of the off-season changes with drivers, teams, crew chiefs, etc.  Seems like things are starting to pick up this week with news reported that Slugger Labbe is changing positions at RCR and Dave Rogers will not be on top of the pit box for Kyle Busch in 2015.

NOTE: I've added some of the previous topics and discussion threads from this year to this since there was a lot of good stuff regarding 2015 season changes.  That's why those things are showing up on this particular thread now.

Once something new gets reported, I'll add it to the list:

Crew Chief Changes:
Jamie McMurray -  Matt McCall replaces Keith Rodden
Kasey Kahne -  Keith Rodden replace Kenny Francis
Kyle Busch -  Dave Rogers will not return to 18 team
Paul Menard - Slugger Labbe promoted within organization

Driver Changes:
Roush-Fenway( was 99) - Trevor Bayne
Petty - Sam Hornish Jr.
Gibbs - Carl Edwards
Wood Bros. - Ryan Blaney: part-time
The Motorsports Group - Driver TBA
Front Row MotorsportsCole Whitt
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:04:46 AM by CowboysForever9 »

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
  • Most Loyal Fans In Racing - The "Rowdy" Nation
NASCAR Off-Season Changes Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
Well I saw today where Chase will be driving probably 5 cup races in 2015 (I Think that is the max and not ruin his rookie status in 2016) for Hendrick Motorsports.
Well that will be a 5th team on the track, well really 11 with the HMS satellite teams, but Rick is saying there is a clause that the teams can run a 5th team if its for developmental drivers.

Is this new? has anyone else ever heard of this rule, how come we are just now finding something like this out.
I don't know maybe teams knew about it, but it seems like Hendrick just does whatever he wants and it gets old.

I guess Rick may run his old number 25 since Chase cant have #9, I am sure NAPA will be on the car.

Anyway thought this was interesting. Spikes.

Kyle"Rowdy"Busch 2015 Sprint Cup Champion !

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
  • Home is where my treestand is
Re: Chase Elliott to drive cup races in 2015 with HMS 5th team.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:27:35 PM »
I remember hearing something about that awhile back, but never heard of another team using the clause

Found this on Jayski:
Although Hendrick currently fields four full-time cars, the maximum for one organization as allowed by NASCAR, rules do permit teams to run an additional vehicle on a limited slate for prospective rookie drivers.(NASCAR.com)(8-7-2014)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:29:41 PM by BearDawg »
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 hou4

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 08:15:59 AM »
I remember hearing something about that awhile back, but never heard of another team using the clause

Found this on Jayski:
Although Hendrick currently fields four full-time cars, the maximum for one organization as allowed by NASCAR, rules do permit teams to run an additional vehicle on a limited slate for prospective rookie drivers.(NASCAR.com)(8-7-2014)

Well I saw that and even your copy and paste is dated 2014.
I am just wondering if this wasn't just made up recently, after all the satellite teams all but make the stupid rule...
Well, stupid.
No doubt Chase is a special driver and I just dont put it behind Rick to have gone to Nascar with his predicament to keep Chase in his fold, the kid can driver better than over half the Cup field now at 18, Rick knows he has to fight to keep him and this rule solidifies that. Spikes.

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • 37 Ford
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 07:22:35 AM »
Spikes a team can run a 5th team with a rookie only.  This is nothing new,  Rick did it with Danica I believe and I think Roush did it with Baine it's been done a couple of other times.  So no new rule, but can only be done with a rookie. 
car2 atl3 den1 arkansas1

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »
Spikes a team can run a 5th team with a rookie only.  This is nothing new,  Rick did it with Danica I believe and I think Roush did it with Baine it's been done a couple of other times.  So no new rule, but can only be done with a rookie. 

But with Danica SHR didn't have 4 cars so Danica didn't make it 5, and the same with Bayne, Roush hasn't had 4 cars in quite a while. I understand this rule is probably good but I still believe this will be the first time a team will field 5 cup cars at the track in the same race to invoke the rule. Thanks Mikey. Spikes.

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • 37 Ford
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »
Spikes, in 2009, Brad Keslowksi raced 5 races for HMS in the number 25 car as a rookie. 
car2 atl3 den1 arkansas1

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • 37 Ford
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 07:24:30 AM »
Apparently Kyle and Dave Ragers are ready to part ways.  And I for one believe it could only help the 18 team the sooner this happens. Here is what is posted on Jayski:

Rogers, Kyle Busch Have Meeting After Race: #18-Kyle Busch came into the weekend with hopes of adding to his 16 career Bristol win total and perhaps sweeping the three-race weekend. But he left Saturday night with serious questions about the cohesiveness of the #18 Sprint Cup team. Busch was involved in an early accident and also endured a pit road speeding penalty to erase any hopes of winning the main event. But things went from bad to worse for Busch, who angrily left his car on pit road when he exited the race with a handful of laps remaining despite crew chief Dave Rogers instructing him to do otherwise. "Park it behind the truck and take your whiny little ass to the bus," Rogers said over the team radio. Busch's frustration is understandable given the circumstances that came his way, but the behavior should raise more than a few concerns about the team's ability to compete for a title. Simply said, Busch and Rogers need to find a way to harness the emotional outbursts before they can be seriously considered championship material.(in part from Motor Racing Network)(8-24-2014)
car2 atl3 den1 arkansas1

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
Re: Is Kyle Busch and Dave Roberts through?
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »
At the press conference announcing Edwards as the 4th driver, they said they would announce crew changes later....I'm guessing that Dave either knows he's not going to be the CC of the 18 or see's the writing on the wall.  It certainly doesn't look good for their chances in the Chase if this is the dynamic they have going now...
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 hou4

Offline bucbrett

• Contributing Member
  • Backup
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 06:29:11 PM »
Gonna laugh pretty hard if Dave Rogers moves to the 19 and Carl wins the Chase next season.
tb1 laa3 edm2 phi4 eastcarolina1

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 09:59:03 PM »
I always conclude it is a chemistry thing, Busch and Roberts are done, yes.  Doesn't necessarily mean that Edwards and Roberts will click either. 
   mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 09:59:56 PM »
Or that if they do click, I don't think it means it is all Kyle's fault either.

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
Not only that but I believe Denny and Darian Grubb are done also.
Bob Pockrass reported maybe in the sporting news I cant remember even before the Bristol blow up that changes were coming at JGR with major Crew Chief changes and that Carl Edwards will get a CC already in house.

Now here is what I think will happen, yes I believe the Bristol blow up is because Rogers knows he is done with the #18 team, but I also believe he knows Grubb and Hamlin are done. Matt likes Jason Ratliff and they are running ok as far as consistency is but the JGR Toyota's just don't have the speed of the Ford's at Penske or the 10 Hendrick cars.

So, with Rowdy and Adam Stevens having won 12 races last year and a couple this year in the #54 I believe Adam Stevens will be the #18 Crew Chief in 2015.
Grubb will move to the #19 team since he has built new teams before, he is a Championship winning CC and he will call the shots for Carl Edwards, That leaves Dave Rogers with Denny Hamlin and the #11 team, Dave isn't a bad CC in my opinion, he isn't a real good CC as far as making adjustments but that could be a Kyle problem, Kyle and Stevens have made a car better as the race goes on and that is something Dave and Kyle haven't done in a long time. Anyway that is my plan according to putting the pieces together, you can remind me later if I am right or wrong. Spikes.

#11 Dave Rogers
#18 Adam Stevens
#19 Darian Grubb
#20 Jason Ratliff   JGR Crew Chiefs for 2015
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:49:13 AM by SpikesRowdy18 »

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 11:51:40 AM »
#11 Dave Rogers
#18 Adam Stevens
#19 Darian Grubb
#20 Jason Ratliff   JGR Crew Chiefs for 2015

Seems reasonable.  I think that Ratliff will stay with Kenseth.  I think they have some good communication as to what the car needs, if they aren't totally out of whack when they get to the track they usually make the car better as the race weekend progresses.

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »

Seems reasonable.  I think that Ratliff will stay with Kenseth.  I think they have some good communication as to what the car needs, if they aren't totally out of whack when they get to the track they usually make the car better as the race weekend progresses.

Yep, that is why I to believe Jason will stay with the #20, he is the only CC at JGR that seems to make gains during a race, Rowdy and Dave always get worse as a race goes on and Hamlin with Grubb's suspension still going on seems to be OK with Darian gone.
But Rowdy's NNS car at Indy was junk and a 15th place car and he and Stevens worked on that thing and finished a strong 2nd, that don't ever happen with the #18, just saying. Spikes. 

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »
One thing that I really like about Kenseth is that if the car is in the ballpark for the setup, he is patient enough to work on it during the race.

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »
Just saw on twitter that Ambrose has announced he is leaving RPM at the end of the season and returning to racing in Australia.  Both Ambrose and RPM released statements saying this was Ambrose's decision alone, and Ambrose came out and said he came to the decision earlier this summer.

I'm disappointed to see him go because he is a great personality in the garage and one helluva road course racer.  It was fun to watch him wheel it around Watkins Glen when I went to the races.

I agree with something I saw Marty Smith (ESPN NASCAR Reporter) put out on Twitter earlier today.  Marcos Ambrose is easily among the best, if not the best, road course racer in NASCAR history.  It always seemed like unless something mechanical went wrong, he was either winning or contending for the win at both Watkins Glen and Sonoma.
==========================
Next question is who takes over in the 9?

I think, depending how the contract situations are, it could someone from the NWS like Elliott Sadler or Regan Smith.
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 hou4

Offline River Rat

• Home of 2017 Rats Cup
  • Coach
  • Too old for this $&#@
Re: Ambrose heading back to Australia in 2015
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 06:42:24 PM »
His rumored departure has been floating around since the beginning of the season.  The "Ambrose came out and said he came to the decision earlier this summer", statement seems a bit odd in light of that.  But he will be missed.

Went out last night and got really wasted. 
I woke up in the middle of the night next to some chick who was snoring and farting, so I knew I made it home OK.

Offline Ben Rinaldi

• NASCAR Pick 3 Manager
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 07:07:56 PM »
Rumor I heard a couple weeks ago was the team was looking at Sam Hornish or David Ragan to fill the seat.

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 07:14:59 PM »
I think the decision itself was made in the summer, but it was because contract talks weren't really going anywhere, and the team as whole hasn't really improved that much over the course of the last few years like he had hoped.
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 hou4

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 09:47:37 PM »
Rumor I heard a couple weeks ago was the team was looking at Sam Hornish or David Ragan to fill the seat.

You are on to something there Cowboys!  My bet is Sam Hornish
some deals with Penske have to be in line with Ambrose going to race for them in Australia

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 10:54:14 PM »
Jayski has David Ragan as the hottest rumor to replace Ambrose in the 9 right now
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 hou4

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 10:46:46 PM »
Ragan recently denied being next in the 9, however until it becomes official he would deny it either way.

Offline ozpackerfan

• Super Mod
  • Coach
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 05:06:28 AM »
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsport/penske-move-into-v8-supercars-injects-life-into-dick-johnson-racing-20140916-10hsq7.html

A few thoughts:

"Penske injects life into DJR." I hope Penske sends someone smart down to run the team because Dick Johnson is an absolute moron and that team desperately needs some life injected into it.
If Ambrose thinks he will pick up where he left off 10 years ago he will be disappointed. V8 Supercars is a very different beast today.
Ambrose never got the hang of NASCAR and more particularly the ovals. Clearly he was talented on the road courses but that's something he has done all his life. He was never able to improve his results on the ovals, in fact he probably regressed over the last year or two. Part of that may be on the team but by the same token, Ambrose didn't have the oval knowledge to give the feedback required to help the team improve.

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 07:50:50 AM »
Nice article Oz.  Always interesting to see the viewpoint from across the pond.