Author Topic: Congrats Zimmer  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Simmion

• Star
Congrats Zimmer
« on: September 07, 2014, 03:09:29 PM »
Players honored him by a water dousing, congrats on your first win, but hope you make the team do laps or pushups for all these penaties.  Sloppiest game I have seen in years and we still win 34-6.  Hodges, Barr, Robinson, Harry Smith get my recognition (I could a lot more too).  But Hodges wrapped up tackles very solid, I don't even know if he missed a guy.  Barr swarmed and never seemed to miss a beat, he was trailing a shifty RB and swiped his legs and made it look like a sniper dropped him.... strength!

Robinson played very well at CB plus the INT.  Something I have been hoping is more fact that mirage.  Harry Smith just balling. 

Oh I should add Linval Joseph to that list.  Tore it up!
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
Re: Congrats Zimmer
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 03:35:26 PM »
That was a great first win.....There was some real solid performances by a few players especially on defense. I have to agree Simmion in that it was a sloppy one too in many areas and that'll need to be cleaned up for next week before we play the Pats after they were just upset by the Dolphins this week. The offensive play calling was good but obviously conservative for good reason. Really liked Paterson and nice to see Turner use him and his TE's today...he took advantage of some mismatches and used AD as a decoy a few times. The line does need to clean up it's play and penalties and to be fair, as good as that defense was Hill was making some really solid plays early in the middle of the field and if not for some stupid penalties by the Rams this game could have been a lot closer.

At the end of the day we held the Rams to 2 field goals and our defense scored more than their offense. This was a great game for confidence and can't wait to watch us play the Pats next week. Many upsets today....depending on what happens with the Lions we could be a game up on the entire division ...Great start for Zimmer and Turner.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »
On a side note with Hills injury do the Vikings try and milk the Rams for a solid pick for Ponder?

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:49:44 PM »
On a side note with Hills injury do the Vikings try and milk the Rams for a solid pick for Ponder?

I just can't imagine any team wanting Ponder anymore for a trade.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 05:46:12 PM »
I just can't imagine any team wanting Ponder anymore for a trade.

I agree that I don't think any team would want him but the Rams may have no choice.....One game in and they are playing their 3rd string QB because of injuries.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:12:53 AM »
The Rams season has turned into desperation after week 1 of the NFL season. How things can change is so little a time frame is ridiculous. I wouldn't be shocked if there wasn't an offer, but like Simmion said, "I can't imagine..."

A solid effort on all sides of the ball yesterday. I was a little leery when the Vikings were up 6-0 and had seemed to dominate the lines of scrimmage. That has to be a focal point moving forward. I didn't realize that Hill was injured because there was no sound at the bar I was watching the game at. Joseph looked like a beast and I held my breath when Floyd was on the deck. Robinson was nicked as well. Hope they are superficial injuries...Cassel looked OK. There was a couple passes I thought, oh chit! Those fell harmlessly to the ground.

I didn't expect a blow out week one that's for sure, but that's what we Viking fans were treated to. All that and AP was merely a human. I gotta believe that was the Rams game plan though. Don't let AP beat you. Well I certainly hope that's the mindset of every NFL team that faces Minnesota this year. AP's numbers will be down, but we Viking fans will be treated to a more balanced attack, since the Brett Favre era.

God it was nice to see the secondary actually attacking the ball instead of that Tampa 2 bullchit. The Bucs, and Bears played that awful brand yesterday and the results tell the tale. When the Vikings brought a blitz the results were far better than years gone by when it seemed like the LB or Safety would just run straight into a blocker and the results was ZERO pressure and a wide open WR/TE/RB running to daylight thru the vacated center of the Viking defense. Solid run defense will make this team something more than an also ran in the NFC North. Like the prospect of rooting for Eli and the Giants tonight. Should they pull off the victory the Vikings will be alone at the top of the division. I like the sound of that. Tough games follow this opener, but should the Vikings beat the Patriots, like I predicted a few weeks ago, the sky is the limit for this young team. Let's all hope that the Seahawks are playing their best ball of the season to open up and toward the back end they fall off.

I'm so hopeful about this season and the Vikings didn't disappoint us in the least. Who kicks a FG when you're hooked 34-3? The Rams that's who! Tough defense vs. a never was QB and back up that didn't appear ready is a far cry from what the Vikings face next week. Think the Patriots ever thought about the prospect of being 0-2 after facing the Dolphins and the Vikings? Well that's what they are up against. Brady doesn't lose 2 in a row very often fellas, but that's what I believe will happen. A road victory followed by a statement win vs. an upper echelon squad like the Pats is just what the Dr. ordered fellas!....SKOL Brother!
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline packerzrule

• Masta of disasta
  • Star
  • The Ayatollah of Captain and cola
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 11:40:19 AM »
Holy Crap.   The Vikes looked great yesterday.  Cordarrelle Patterson is the real deal and brings an exciting element to their offense.

Good luck to the Vikes and their fans this season - cept for Oct 2 and Nov 23      ber
gb1   mil3   wisconsin1

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »
Having the home crowd next week should be interesting against the Pats. Our offense should be able to open things up against the Pats defense. I really want to see hoe our defense handles those quick strikes/shot passing game I'm sure we'll see from Brady. I'm sure we will bend but hopefully we don't break.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
Having the home crowd next week should be interesting against the Pats. Our offense should be able to open things up against the Pats defense. I really want to see hoe our defense handles those quick strikes/shot passing game I'm sure we'll see from Brady. I'm sure we will bend but hopefully we don't break.

I have heard lke 6-7 players last week talking about the home field, or lack there of, when a team is transitioning like the Vikings will be doing the next 2 years. They spoke with former Titans and Seahawks about this and everyone said that while playing at home the place NEVER felt like home. Kind of odd that EVERY player said virtually the same thing. Perhaps the,"Gofer Hole," as I will now officially refer to it now, can somehow be pleasant for the Vikings. I just didn't like hearing it from all those guys.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »
Holy Crap.   The Vikes looked great yesterday.  Cordarrelle Patterson is the real deal and brings an exciting element to their offense.

Good luck to the Vikes and their fans this season - cept for Oct 2 and Nov 23      ber

I don't know if it was you, or some troll on the other site.  But they were calling Cordarrelle Patterson a poor man's Randall Cobb.... Sheesh.  :-)

::EDIT:: That was during his rookie year.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:23:28 PM by Simmion »

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »
I have heard lke 6-7 players last week talking about the home field, or lack there of, when a team is transitioning like the Vikings will be doing the next 2 years. They spoke with former Titans and Seahawks about this and everyone said that while playing at home the place NEVER felt like home. Kind of odd that EVERY player said virtually the same thing. Perhaps the,"Gofer Hole," as I will now officially refer to it now, can somehow be pleasant for the Vikings. I just didn't like hearing it from all those guys.

I heard something like that too.....hopefully the lack of crowd noise when we are on offense will help. It's going to be wierd but everything is new this year from the coachs to the schemes to many players to the the field we play on.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 07:54:16 AM »
I would say that Percy Harvin trade is looking like a pretty good idea right now. AD & CP will tear it up this year.
 CNA
min1 stl3

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »
Well Detroit throttled the Giants and it looks like a long season for the Gmen...Tied for the division lead after week 1 and loads of hope for a turn around season. Make me look like a genius, (we all know better) and slam the Pats at home on Sunday!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »
I would say that Percy Harvin trade is looking like a pretty good idea right now. AD & CP will tear it up this year.
 CNA

You know I respect your opinion BtlsFan but I'm going to totally disagree with this statement and say it was a  horrible trade IMO. When we traded Harvin it was Jennings that replaced him at that time. The draft pick that we received for seattle was used on either Rhodes or Floyd and not Patterson. Harvin and CP and the field would have been glorious to watch and wished I could have had the chance to see it. We have moved on and working with what we have but Harvins talent and versatility at the level he performs at is not matchable by anyone in the league and reality is Patterson is probably the closest to it. Lets just see how the season plays out for Harvin, Patterson and AD....my guess is all three will have very solid years if not MVP type seasons.

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »
Well as long as anyone is saying that we shouldn't have traded Harvin, I'm going to pop in and say I haven't been disappointed for half a second about the trade since it happened. Please don't take this personal in any way shape or form Hutch. I absolutely love reading your posts and respect your opinion, but I couldn't disagree with you more about Harvin.

I'm not sure how the 2013 seventh rounder turned out, but with the 25th pick we took Rhodes, and the 3rd rounder this year was McKinnon. Now, there is no way that the Vikings trade back up for Patterson if Harvin is still on the team, but I still think they would have made a push for Jennings. Spielman may have traded back up after Floyd to try and get Rhodes, but I know we wouldn't have Patterson and Harvin on this team.

Patterson goes out and owns while being a great locker room guy. Percy Harvin looked like a (expletive deleted) while Wilson was getting interviewed after the game Thursday night. Wilson couldn't have been happier about the win, and Harvin just stood there like he couldn't wait to get out of there. Then again, he probably couldn't concentrate very well as he was probably stoned out of his mind (okay that was a cheap shot, but I had to). Anyway, he just looked like he didn't give a crap. Patterson can't stop smiling. Patterson said his favorite part of football was scoring because he loved seeing how excited the fans got and knowing that he was giving them something to cheer about. Harvin would most likely say he love's football because he's good enough that he can throw punches at coaches or fake migraine to get out of practice. He's a bitch, plain and simple. He was in high school. He was in college. He was in Minnesota. And I have no doubt that, while winning or losing, he'll find some reason to be a punk in Seattle too.

Patterson is as elusive, as quick, and as fast as Harvin. He is bigger than him, so he can go up and get jump balls better. He has better vision than him. He's not as polished because he's 4 NFL years behind him. Harvin is incredibly talented, but so is Patterson, and Patterson isn't a whiny little injury prone punk ass bitch.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 10:02:15 PM »
Well as long as anyone is saying that we shouldn't have traded Harvin, I'm going to pop in and say I haven't been disappointed for half a second about the trade since it happened. Please don't take this personal in any way shape or form Hutch. I absolutely love reading your posts and respect your opinion, but I couldn't disagree with you more about Harvin.

I'm not sure how the 2013 seventh rounder turned out, but with the 25th pick we took Rhodes, and the 3rd rounder this year was McKinnon. Now, there is no way that the Vikings trade back up for Patterson if Harvin is still on the team, but I still think they would have made a push for Jennings. Spielman may have traded back up after Floyd to try and get Rhodes, but I know we wouldn't have Patterson and Harvin on this team.

Patterson goes out and owns while being a great locker room guy. Percy Harvin looked like a (expletive deleted) while Wilson was getting interviewed after the game Thursday night. Wilson couldn't have been happier about the win, and Harvin just stood there like he couldn't wait to get out of there. Then again, he probably couldn't concentrate very well as he was probably stoned out of his mind (okay that was a cheap shot, but I had to). Anyway, he just looked like he didn't give a crap. Patterson can't stop smiling. Patterson said his favorite part of football was scoring because he loved seeing how excited the fans got and knowing that he was giving them something to cheer about. Harvin would most likely say he love's football because he's good enough that he can throw punches at coaches or fake migraine to get out of practice. He's a bitch, plain and simple. He was in high school. He was in college. He was in Minnesota. And I have no doubt that, while winning or losing, he'll find some reason to be a punk in Seattle too.

Patterson is as elusive, as quick, and as fast as Harvin. He is bigger than him, so he can go up and get jump balls better. He has better vision than him. He's not as polished because he's 4 NFL years behind him. Harvin is incredibly talented, but so is Patterson, and Patterson isn't a whiny little injury prone punk ass bitch.

Love the post VeN, was waiting for this type of response. It's funny because there is no middle ground (from what I have seen) when it comes to Harvin...you love him or hate him or has you put it..."whiny little injury prone punk ass bitch" lol......I like that one VeN.  For me Harvin is my favourite player in the NFL and that's strickly for the skills he brings to the game/team. I like the punk ass bitch.

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 10:42:38 PM »
Ha there really isn't a middle ground. I just started losing it with him since the Childress fight thing. You won't ever hear me say that he isn't just freakishly talented though. I am just happy we've got Patterson, who is filling the void he briefly left.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 10:05:29 AM »
can't wait to see the play calling in this weeks game on offense...should be lots of favourable match ups if the Pats try and focus on both AD and Patterson.

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 10:51:12 AM »
I'm looking forward to the defense just blowing past that line and harrassing Brady all afternoon!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
I'm looking forward to the defense just blowing past that line and harrassing Brady all afternoon!

I wish I could share your optimism on the defense.......I think the Pats and Brady will put up a lot of yards on us especially in the middle of the field. Hopefully thats all they put up is yards and not a lot of points. I like our defense and front but we have weaknesses that can and probably will be exploited this week and weeks ahead.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 09:22:29 PM »

::slow clap:: 

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 09:26:15 PM »
Ven, 

Attitude alone wins it for me.  Patterson loves to play and entertain (and he succeeds).  Everything about him screams team player and motivator.  The video of him coming out and giving high five friday to all the Vikings behind the scene employees (like little old lady secretaries).  Then stopping and giving an actual hand shake to Bud Grant.  The guy is a fan favorite from day one. It's night and day when it comes to attitude.  Near even on talent.  I would name call Percy some more, but I think I have done enough in my time on these message boards, and wouldn't be able to top Ven's post anyways.  Percy is an after thought.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 09:27:48 PM »
I wish I could share your optimism on the defense.......I think the Pats and Brady will put up a lot of yards on us especially in the middle of the field. Hopefully thats all they put up is yards and not a lot of points. I like our defense and front but we have weaknesses that can and probably will be exploited this week and weeks ahead.

I know he is being polite and giving props to Zimmer, but you should read Matt Vensel's piece in the star tribune on Brady talking Zimmer's defense.  Zimmer has had Brady's number in past years at Cincy.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 06:18:39 AM »
Zimmer has indeed had the pats number, but that was last year. I drove to Chicago yesterday and I just kept hearing Sal Crapantonio continue to dis the Vikings calling their win an upset vs. the Rams because of the QB situation there. He said that the Patriots would handle the Vikings because they don't lose 2 in a row. He went on to say that the Dolphins made the Patriots 1 dimensional because of their interior line play. 5 sacks on the road and 2 picks ain't bad for pressure, Sal!..I've got news for Sal, the Vikings interior is better than the Dolphins. Pressure up the middle is the key on defense this week. Getting in Brady's face and not allowing the slide or step into the pocket is what will ultimately determine this game. The Vikings are riding high right now, and I expect a better game defensively for the Purple this week, at home...Watching what the Dolphins did and the poor play by the Patriots last week in the 2nd half may carry over? The way every team will approach the Vikings on offense is a stacked line and keeping AP bottled up. Well, how'd that work for the Rams last week?

The Vikings need to stay in the game early. Don't allow a scoring explosion from Brady and the Gronks, Vereen's and Ridleys of the Patriots. The mismatch will be Gronk, but I'd expect that Zimmer has a plan for that. Should the Vikings exploit the Patriots like the Dolphins did with runs from AP. This game may turn out nearly identical to last weeks results for the Patriots. Knowshawn Moreno is no Adrian Peterson. Some of those 12 yard  gashes may be 40 yard TDs if what I witnessed is correct? Until the Vikings defense is exposed, that may not happen this week, they will continue to play well. They have won 5 in a row, albeit 4 were preseason wins. That kind of feel continues to drive teams and players in this league. Expect Rudolph to have a good game as he and Gronk are the players that seem to be mismatched. The Pats don't want to fall to 0-2 and the Vikings really need a signature win. I'd expect they get it. Sooner or later father time catches up with each and every superstar. He is the undefeated, undisputed, all time champ. It's time that the old bully gets a bit of it's own medicine...SKOL Brother! 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:20:41 AM by kokomodan »

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 08:01:24 AM »
Zimmer has indeed had the pats number, but that was last year. I drove to Chicago yesterday and I just kept hearing Sal Crapantonio continue to dis the Vikings calling their win an upset vs. the Rams because of the QB situation there. He said that the Patriots would handle the Vikings because they don't lose 2 in a row. He went on to say that the Dolphins made the Patriots 1 dimensional because of their interior line play. 5 sacks on the road and 2 picks ain't bad for pressure, Sal!..I've got news for Sal, the Vikings interior is better than the Dolphins. Pressure up the middle is the key on defense this week. Getting in Brady's face and not allowing the slide or step into the pocket is what will ultimately determine this game. The Vikings are riding high right now, and I expect a better game defensively for the Purple this week, at home...Watching what the Dolphins did and the poor play by the Patriots last week in the 2nd half may carry over? The way every team will approach the Vikings on offense is a stacked line and keeping AP bottled up. Well, how'd that work for the Rams last week?

The Vikings need to stay in the game early. Don't allow a scoring explosion from Brady and the Gronks, Vereen's and Ridleys of the Patriots. The mismatch will be Gronk, but I'd expect that Zimmer has a plan for that. Should the Vikings exploit the Patriots like the Dolphins did with runs from AP. This game may turn out nearly identical to last weeks results for the Patriots. Knowshawn Moreno is no Adrian Peterson. Some of those 12 yard  gashes may be 40 yard TDs if what I witnessed is correct? Until the Vikings defense is exposed, that may not happen this week, they will continue to play well. They have won 5 in a row, albeit 4 were preseason wins. That kind of feel continues to drive teams and players in this league. Expect Rudolph to have a good game as he and Gronk are the players that seem to be mismatched. The Pats don't want to fall to 0-2 and the Vikings really need a signature win. I'd expect they get it. Sooner or later father time catches up with each and every superstar. He is the undefeated, undisputed, all time champ. It's time that the old bully gets a bit of it's own medicine...SKOL Brother! 

I think the Vikings defense in time will be one of the better ones in the league.....in time. Gronk is a mismatch but Vereen is the bigger problem IMO. The Rams game was great from a points perspective but they moved the ball well against us. The Pats game is very much winnable but if our defense plays like it did early on in the Rams game and our offense makes some bone headed mikstakes like they did they we will get killed on Sunday. We had a bend but don't break game but that game showed we still have a ways to go in a number of areas. How far along we get for this game well we will all find out and hopefully it's enough to pull off a win.

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.