Author Topic: The Teddy Era Officially begins  (Read 8153 times)

Offline Simmion

• Star
Re: The Teddy Era Officially begins
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
We will benefit of Calvin Johnson probably not playing (of course the story will go "He barely played yet put up his career best).  See if Zimmer can get his players back on track.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »
No Johnson and no Bush.....This game is very much winnable.

I'm with you about Zimmer Simmion.....lets see if he can get his players back on track. I know a number of players where talking about certain guys playing selfish football that cost the team. After the film study it will be very apparent to everyone in the building who they are.

Wonder were Koko is ?   Haven\t heard from him in a long while

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »
This OLine is a joke.  The WRs must not be getting open either. Feel bad for Teddy. Although that first INT was completely his fault.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »
The O-Line is a complete joke...especially Kalil.....he just out right stinks. Teddy is hanging onto the football a little too much though. 7 sacks but 2-3 where on him. His throws are a little off too. That said he's learning. Nice to see the defense step it up, too bad it was for not as the offense was pathetic. McKinnon is looking good.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »
First drive I thought.  This defense ( the players) sucks.  But they adapted nicely.  This offense will never do anything if this OLine continues this crap.  The pocket is about the size of my daughters penny pouche, I can't expect any QB to have success with it.  I wish I would have photo'd the QB "sack, hurry, hit" stat.  It was flat out awful.  No QB would win with those stats.  Now comes to topic, "well maybe he held the ball too long..."  That IS Norv's offense... He isn't 2 drop slant guy, he is 7 drop down the field let routes develop guy.  This line better figure it out.  And that means everyone.  NO ONE on that line blocked. 

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 07:46:17 PM »
That IS the problem.  This game wouldn't be near 17 points allowed if our Line let our offense develop. 

But side note.  Our WR need to stop tripping, dropping passes, and flat out getting open.  Teddy was not at fault in this game other than the first INT.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 08:14:37 AM »
That IS the problem.  This game wouldn't be near 17 points allowed if our Line let our offense develop. 

But side note.  Our WR need to stop tripping, dropping passes, and flat out getting open.  Teddy was not at fault in this game other than the first INT.

I agree Simmion. Teddy had balls dropped and batted that ended up as int's. The O-line looked like a revolving door. Anyone can get in if they just push it! For an O-line that has been together this long to look that bad somebody needs to get their a$$ chewed. This game was painful to watch it was soo bad! This was a game the Vikings could have won, but they just outright sucked when it came time to play. I can't even make an excuse for how bad they played this game. The defense on the other hand played pretty well for the most part. They kept the game close and that says something when the ball gets turned over as often as the offense gave the ball away yesterday. I have to say that as bad as the O-line was yesterday, I don't think I can pick the Vikings to win another game this year. I hate saying that, but it is true.
min1 stl3

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »
Well lets see what Zimmer does regarding benching a few players....he was livid after the game. Guys were late for meetings, not prepared etc....If he wants to take control of the team he needs to bench a few guys. I've said it before, most of the guys here he never drafted and guys like Kalil, Sullivan etc will all be bench warmers next season if they don't improve in a hurry.

The O-Line sucks but Teddy does have to take a little of the blame too on a few of them. He's a rookie and he'll learn but he did hang on to the ball a few times. What was really surprizing and this is a positive and negative is he stayed in the pocket and didn't flinch. I loved that he is that composed and in the future that will be a huge asset. That said, he will have to learn when it's time to roll out to buy more time. A. Rodgers went through the same thing once he finally started. He was killed in his first season one of the most sacked QB's that year. His line was bad but he also hung on to the ball too long while staying in the pocket. He still hangs onto the ball but once he learned he can play the game outside of the pocket he became great. Teddy is a rookie and the kid is showing composure beyond his years. I think we finally have our future QB but he still has to learn........not trying to take any of the blame away from the O-Line as we all agree they sucked.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »
So I just got back from California on our season's last 2 races. The performance of the Vikings the last 2 weeks has left me shaking my head. The offensive line is so bad right now that I really wonder if the Vikings can win a couple more games this year. The drop off of Matt Kalil is so bad from his rookie year until today that it's really unfathomable. After the Lion debacle you really have to wonder if he is now falling into the realm of another 1st round bust...The rest of the line is almost as pathetic. Charlie Johnson is god awful and Loadholt can't pass protect. Go back 2 years ago and you'll see what AP did for this squad. He made average at best linemen all pro caliber...

If you only give up 17 points in the NFL you should probably win in today's game. We all believed this would be a transition year, but the preseason and week 1 gave everyone hope. That hope is quickly being snuffed out with back to back abysmal games. Teddy threw 3 picks and they team was still in the game until the end pretty much vs. the Lions. The lack of a deep threat, no AP, no Rudolph, and the o-line woes will be the death of the Vikings. Whatever happens, please don't let Ponder EVER play a down for the Vikings is my only request the rest of the season...
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/279377312.html?page=2&c=y

The above is nice article about what Childress and since then what Spielman had done during the drafts and/or trades to build the team. It's a mixed bag for both but they talk about Kalil and how that could be one of the biggest busts if things don't turn around.......even bigger than the Ponder bust as it was at 12 not 3 like Kalil. I remember that draft and how many were saying he was the best and safest pick. Just goes to show nothing is safe or guaranteed. That said that draft had a few high round picks that thus far are average or busts right now. RG111 has been often injured and when he was healthy this year not doing very well at all. Richardson has been a bust at RB for a few teams now, Blackmon is a major bust too. These are the 2nd highest rated QB (any other year he'd have been an easy number 1), top RB, WR and LT of that draft........Just how wrong can they be lol.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 03:54:59 PM »
I was convinced Kalil was it. And I guess he can still turn it around.  But he had everything, the family pedigree the size the brains. ::sigh:: 

Why can't we chip with a TE anymore.  It worked that one game. (forgot the other team). If I remember correctly he is getting beat on the outside. 

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 09:48:55 AM »
I hope this can be shared...

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 09:52:25 AM »
With an O-line looking like this the Vikings have no chance to win even 1 more game. The Kalil issue is a major problem. This above all other things should tell everyone exactly how AP was to that playoff run. He is the only reason Spielman is still gainfully employed by the Vikings...8 sacks isn't permissible by a pee wee team let alone an NFL squad...I hope Teddy doesn't get ruined like so many other young QBs have been in recent years...SKOL Brother!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 04:55:52 PM »
I was convinced Kalil was it. And I guess he can still turn it around.  But he had everything, the family pedigree the size the brains. ::sigh:: 

Why can't we chip with a TE anymore.  It worked that one game. (forgot the other team). If I remember correctly he is getting beat on the outside. 

I was sold on Blackmon......what a joke he turned out to be.
That link Koko just shared is really sad.....We are getting killed at the line. Setting protections seems to be an issue and that's on Teddy which we give him a break as he's a rookie and the centre Sullivan which inexcusable for someone who has been in the league as long as he has.  It's kind a funny but Loadholt is playing the best on the line...who whould have thought that could happen.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »
Ok...on something different. Percy Harvin has just been traded to the NY Jets....can you say WOW. I know Harvin can be a hot head but for a 4th round 2015 pick that can go as high as a 2nd depending on performance. The Jets are only locked into this season with the contract too. WOW, WOW, WOW

Here is my dream.......Harvin is released after this season by the Jets. The Vikings sign him to a very reasonable contract for a few years because of injury/attitude issues. We now have an offense that has Patterson, Jennings, Rudolph and Harvin. Teddy would absolutely love having skills as a security blanket and Patterson will love not beening doubled all the time.

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »
 facepalm

Rotowored has a post up about a fight that he got in with Golden Tate Super Bowl week. Then another with Baldwin. Then last week he threw a hissy fit and wouldn't go back into the Cowboys game because they hadn't used him enough prior to that in the game.

New York is going to eat him alive.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »
facepalm

Rotowored has a post up about a fight that he got in with Golden Tate Super Bowl week. Then another with Baldwin. Then last week he threw a hissy fit and wouldn't go back into the Cowboys game because they hadn't used him enough prior to that in the game.

New York is going to eat him alive.

Yes they will......we should get him dirt cheap after he is done their :) 

That's a lot of fights in that short of a window.  He will work on the right team with the right offense. Seattle is using him as a decoy a fair bit and that works for everyone else but him. You put him on a team where they have a start WR and that is a good fit. If he had gone to Dallas that would have been an ideal spot With Dez and Murray there. In Minnesota Norv would show case him in his offense and teams can't double both him and Patterson so the ball would get spread out nicely.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2014, 01:09:19 PM »
Wow...Teddy absolutely sucks today. The team is playing very well and so far his throws have been late or off with 2 ints  that were his fault. He's missing short throws missing everything. The one sack was his fault too. He's a rookie but this is flat out pathetic......wake the %^&*(&*( up already Teddy. This is 2 weeks in a row now.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2014, 01:15:29 PM »
ok....he woke the ^&&*(&*((&* up lol.....that's better :)

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2014, 03:19:52 PM »
Well.....that was a tough loss. That was a solid defensive effort today....couple of bad plays on that final drive especially with Greenway not being ready for that huge play as the TE ran by him. Rhodges got beat bad today and it would have been much worse as Orton missed a few that Rhodes was covering on....they started going after him and its obvious why. That said IMO the main reason this game was a loss was Teddy and kalil. Kalil was his pathetic self again and Teddy missed a number of plays along with hanging on to the ball again. Hopefully he improves as the year goes on but he has had only one solid start and a few poor ones now. Still staying positive but Teddy looked a lot like #7 today.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2014, 05:43:42 PM »
That game is beyond frustrating.  Teddy can learn, his learning curve shouldn't be sharp. You saw the drive of what the real Teddy can be like when in a rhythm.  But our offensive line just sucks.  Charlie Johnson is the worst OLineman in the league.  And I am not being sarcastic.  Get ducking Yankey in there he can't be any worse.  Kalil played better but got beat on some simple moves again.

Our WRs need to get open more.  That one drive was practically the only one they consistently got open.  That leads to a lot of Teddy's sacks in addition to the line and him not rolling out after 4 seconds. 

Chad Greenway mops up tackles but he is becoming one of my least favorite players.  All he does is tackle and not make plays.  Maybe you all saw different but my god he is frustrating to watch as well.  Slow medium strength, not play making ability.  The only good thing he does now is the karate kick after making a sack. 

Captain Munnerlyn should be used only in nickel zone coverage.  It appears he has been beat for a TD over the top every game.  I was called out on the other site when I said he shouldn't start on the outside because of his size alone.  But Jesus H you can't play the man worse than he does. 

The reason this game was so frustrating is that the defense as a whole was dominate (besides the few I mentioned).  DLine swarmed and owned and the mediocre Kyle freaking Orton beat us on a 4th and 26 or whatever it was by throwing to a TE covered by Chad Greenway (that was the game, I don't care about the TD on Rhodes, you ducking stop the other team on 4th and 26).  And the reason he could do this is the offense has no game, except McKinnon.   They have been talking about changing the line for who knows how long yet the same damn line shows up.  GET CHARLIE JOHNSON ON THE STREETS!  HE IS FREAKING TERRIBLE!!!!!  GAAAAAAHHH!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2014, 07:14:35 PM »
Captain Munnerlyn has been a real disappointment and made some huge mistakes both in coverage and tackling this season.  That play on 4th and 20 was just a joke....Simmion did you see Chad Greenway looking over to the sidelines totally missing the play had already started. It was weird watching it as he was totally shocked as the TE ran right by him....that should never happen.

I did love our RB's today. they did a real nice job especially McKinnon. Teddy though just looked totally lost today, just out of sink from the get go. Even that one TD drive it was the WR's that made huge adjustment on the ball to make the plays. Teddy was short, long missing wide on almost every throw. It was nice to hear he admitted to trying to be perfect  and not just playing the game but it's been a few games now so hopefully he practices what he preaches as he's a smart kid but we all get real sick of Ponder saying this every week and never changing. We get the Bucs this week so there should be no excuses for Teddy and this offense to rip them a new one. Teddy's a rookie but he has to progress and thus far that is not happening.

On a side note it was nice to hear Favre talk about Harvin and what he was really like in the locker room.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »
Well I have calmed down now after that loss and I gotta remember this team is freaking young.  And brand new coach as someone already said on one of these threads.  I love Zimmer on when they play piss poor he doesn't hide his frustrations, but with a tough loss like yesterday.  He is still disappointed that they lost, but proud how they studied (DLine showed that worked this week) and that he sees the progress coming.  Staying positive about this future.  Because that defense was rock solid just didn't close.  Sucks, but that is a learning moment.

Hutch, Haha.  I can't believe after hearing additional fights and attitude problems, you still want that dbag on this team. Alright that's all I had on that subject. Although I think Zimmer would be a guy that might be able to control him since he had nothing but thugs over in Cincy.  So you never know. 

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 01:10:26 PM »
Well I have calmed down now after that loss and I gotta remember this team is freaking young.  And brand new coach as someone already said on one of these threads.  I love Zimmer on when they play piss poor he doesn't hide his frustrations, but with a tough loss like yesterday.  He is still disappointed that they lost, but proud how they studied (DLine showed that worked this week) and that he sees the progress coming.  Staying positive about this future.  Because that defense was rock solid just didn't close.  Sucks, but that is a learning moment.

Hutch, Haha.  I can't believe after hearing additional fights and attitude problems, you still want that dbag on this team. Alright that's all I had on that subject. Although I think Zimmer would be a guy that might be able to control him since he had nothing but thugs over in Cincy.  So you never know. 

I'd take him back in a heart beat....I'd even trade the child abuser AD for him lol

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
Sounds like the Vikings almost had a shot to bring him back! Seahawks called the Broncos about Julius Thomas and the Browns about Jordan Cameron. Both were shot down, and the Seahawks were ready to straight up cut him at that point.

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.