Author Topic: The Teddy Era Officially begins  (Read 7014 times)

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
Re: The Teddy Era Officially begins
« Reply #350 on: December 29, 2014, 01:53:34 PM »
I agree with that need order completely except for running back. I do think that AD will be a Viking next season. But even if he isn't, I think McKinnon did enough to show that he can be a valuable part of the backfield. Maybe a Jeremy Hill type back in the fourth round would complement him well.

Barr is a great start to the linebackers, but Greenway is gone in two or three years at most (maybe even next season) and the other spots are average starters at best. Pairing Barr with another good linebacker for 6 or 7 years would be great.

I'd also be okay with loading up the offensive line. Maybe trading back into the late first round (as we all know Rick will try to do) and grab one there.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 02:00:30 PM by VeN 1473 »

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #351 on: December 29, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »
I wonder if Rick is going to let Zim make the pick if Amari Cooper is not there.  It's obvious we need a true No. 1 WR.  But they have OT and a couple of OLB ranked at the 9-12 spot.  With the type of guys we are losing (probably) like Greenway.  I can see Zimmer wanting some defensive help when the other WR rated in the 1st round are questionable.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #352 on: December 29, 2014, 02:16:50 PM »
I agree with that need order completely except for running back. I do think that AD will be a Viking next season. But even if he isn't, I think McKinnon did enough to show that he can be a valuable part of the backfield. Maybe a Jeremy Hill type back in the fourth round would complement him well.

Barr is a great start to the linebackers, but Greenway is gone in two or three years at most (maybe even next season) and the other spots are average starters at best. Pairing Barr with another good linebacker for 6 or 7 years would be great.

I am assuming AD is not with the team next season and I believe it will be his choice not to. If he is the RB is not a issue and we would have a nice 1-2 punch. I really think we go to a split back system and Asiata is really just a good back up at best. I guess Greenway is saying he wants to remain a Viking for life and hinted at being wiling to redo his contract but we do need to upgrade for sure I'm just not sure there will be one worth that high of a pick in the first round. I wonder who will be available in FA this year, Vikings have some cash to spend especially if AD isn't back and |Chad and Jennings contracts are reworked. LB and Corner are two spots I can see us upgrading in FA. We have a few solid WR's but no real number one that can take the top off the defense.......Patterson has issues and we need a top end player to stretch the field. I think we draft one high and if the safety isn't there or we get a safety in FA I think WR will be the play in the first round. I'm sure Norv will be given a few new toys this year as building Teddy is priority number one and getting that top end WR will help a lot.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #353 on: December 29, 2014, 02:28:49 PM »
I wonder if Rick is going to let Zim make the pick if Amari Cooper is not there.  It's obvious we need a true No. 1 WR.  But they have OT and a couple of OLB ranked at the 9-12 spot.  With the type of guys we are losing (probably) like Greenway.  I can see Zimmer wanting some defensive help when the other WR rated in the 1st round are questionable.

I missed your post Simmion while I was typing. I could be wrong but are not the OLB they are rating high for a 3-4 defense?  One thing that I can see happening if the value isn't there at 11 is trading back a few spots and then trading back into the first with our 2nd pick like we have done for the last few years. I don't know most of the players going out in the draft and just going by various reports .. I thought there was a couple WR 's rated well. If AD is not back next season I really think a top RB is on Norv's radar. He thought he had it with AD and McKinnon...I can see us going Safety or WR with our top pick but that 2nd pick IMO could be RB.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #354 on: December 29, 2014, 02:49:15 PM »
I am not sure what those OLBs are for.  But Anthony Barr was a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4 at UCLA.  IF you can tackle and cover I think you can play in any system.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #355 on: December 29, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »
Co-Worker said Crabtree is a good candidate for the Vikes in FA.  I'd take him in a heart beat.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #356 on: December 29, 2014, 05:09:33 PM »
I am not sure what those OLBs are for.  But Anthony Barr was a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4 at UCLA.  IF you can tackle and cover I think you can play in any system.

If they can tackle and cover that would be great.....With Barr he went very high because of his pass rush ability. If there is one that good that could fit I'm in, just don't usually see them going that high unless they are Patrick Willis or Urlacher type players....more so like Urlacher because he was built like a LB and had speed and hands of a safety.......That would be real nice at 11. Regarding Crabtree how is he doing this year ? He'd be an interesting talent but I wonder how much he'd go for.......Last years draft produced some really solid WR's ... Is this years class as deep as last years?

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #357 on: December 29, 2014, 08:03:33 PM »
His numbers aren't that good, I think 600 yards? but Capernick hasn't been the same.  He is not the guy we saw a couple years ago making the run for the SB.  Runs a lot more.  Seems to have lost the confidence in passing he once had.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #358 on: December 29, 2014, 08:08:19 PM »
His stats aren't worse.  But he has been making passes for less yardage at a time, but not by much.  But thinking about it, it might be due to his WRs not doing what they should.  Which makes me worry about Crabtree,  but I would still take him in a second.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #359 on: December 30, 2014, 06:45:15 AM »
San Fran has had a weird year haven't they. They also have Boldin and Davis which is one of the best pass catching TE's so you'd expect them to be really good in the passing game. If Crabtree can take double teams and the top off a defense then that's what we need. We need a guy defenses will be scared of to open things up for other guys.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #360 on: December 30, 2014, 07:45:38 AM »
I'm thinking that the Vikings keep AP, and go after Gordon out of Cleveland. I know this sounds like playing Russian Roulette, but think about the possibilities. This offensive line was built to block for AP. That much is certain. What Gordon does is stretch the field and create even more space for the other's to operate. I'd imagine the asking price wouldn't be what it could have been, had he been the example for the Boy Scouts. The Browns will be thinking along the lines of a 1st or 2nd, but NO team would give more than a conditional 3rd round pick that could possibly be a 2nd should he meet numbers requirements...The reason I believe he would be a good fit are the 2 fellows running this show now. Zimmer seems to work wonders with head case players. Look how he turned Pacman Jones around. No he hasn't been perfect, but he is clearly a more mature person now...I'd like to hang onto Patterson, but he could be shipped there. I wasn't pleased with his play, or his attitude late in the year. Perhaps there is more to that story?...As for Kalil. Yes, he played better at the end of the year, but compared to what? The #3 overall player chosen shouldn't be struggling this far into his career. Injuries aside, this guy should be a team leader on the offensive side and looked more like a pouting baby at times...

OK, my turn to gloat about the Teddy Bridgewater selection..."I told you guys!" He was my #1 pick for the Vikings. Yeah, the Vikings went with Barr, but they got the guy I wanted at 32. What a steal! Think back to the middle of the year last year in college football. Teddy was everyone's #1 pick. A horrible pro day makes him a Viking. The guy just always seems like the stage isn't to big. Sure he made mistakes this season, but he threw more TDs that INTs. Started far many more games that the Vikings ever suspected he would. He now reminds me of the good fortune the Packers had when Aaron Rogers fell to them at #26, when the 49ers selected Alex Smith. Looks like the Browns got the Alex Smith of that draft? Now let's fleece em' a little more and get Gordon and make this offense exactly what Norv Turner wants it to be. A well rounded balanced attack that sends fear to the far corners of the NFL universe...Oh did I mention another year of growth by an up and coming defense?...Yeah, I'm excited about the future again fellas. SKOL Brother!
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #361 on: December 30, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »
Rotoworld has a blurb that a split between Gordon and the Browns is likely and could come down to them simply waiving him. Wow. You'd have to believe he'd be interested in playing for Norv again. Especially now with Teddy.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #362 on: December 30, 2014, 12:50:09 PM »
Gordon could be a very interesting prospect and Norv knows all about him too and was a big reason Gordon had a huge season a year ago. I also agree Gordon will be released.....just don't see any team giving the browns anything for Gordon as he's been suspended for substance abuse and his next incident will get him atleast a year ban. Any team that signs Gordon will do so at a huge risk...that contract will have outs due to substance and off field issues and be very much performance based. He's worth signing IMO and I'm sure he'd love to reunite with Norv too.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #363 on: December 30, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »
I'm thinking that the Vikings keep AP, and go after Gordon out of Cleveland. I know this sounds like playing Russian Roulette, but think about the possibilities. This offensive line was built to block for AP. That much is certain. What Gordon does is stretch the field and create even more space for the other's to operate. I'd imagine the asking price wouldn't be what it could have been, had he been the example for the Boy Scouts. The Browns will be thinking along the lines of a 1st or 2nd, but NO team would give more than a conditional 3rd round pick that could possibly be a 2nd should he meet numbers requirements...The reason I believe he would be a good fit are the 2 fellows running this show now. Zimmer seems to work wonders with head case players. Look how he turned Pacman Jones around. No he hasn't been perfect, but he is clearly a more mature person now...I'd like to hang onto Patterson, but he could be shipped there. I wasn't pleased with his play, or his attitude late in the year. Perhaps there is more to that story?...As for Kalil. Yes, he played better at the end of the year, but compared to what? The #3 overall player chosen shouldn't be struggling this far into his career. Injuries aside, this guy should be a team leader on the offensive side and looked more like a pouting baby at times...

OK, my turn to gloat about the Teddy Bridgewater selection..."I told you guys!" He was my #1 pick for the Vikings. Yeah, the Vikings went with Barr, but they got the guy I wanted at 32. What a steal! Think back to the middle of the year last year in college football. Teddy was everyone's #1 pick. A horrible pro day makes him a Viking. The guy just always seems like the stage isn't to big. Sure he made mistakes this season, but he threw more TDs that INTs. Started far many more games that the Vikings ever suspected he would. He now reminds me of the good fortune the Packers had when Aaron Rogers fell to them at #26, when the 49ers selected Alex Smith. Looks like the Browns got the Alex Smith of that draft? Now let's fleece em' a little more and get Gordon and make this offense exactly what Norv Turner wants it to be. A well rounded balanced attack that sends fear to the far corners of the NFL universe...Oh did I mention another year of growth by an up and coming defense?...Yeah, I'm excited about the future again fellas. SKOL Brother!

Ok......you can gloat about Teddy now lol.......Even though most were ok signing Teddy later in the draft there were none higher on him than you were. Hopefully he makes it through year two and we get him a new toy or two to make that offense even better.

With the money we have to spend and another draft I think Zimmer and Norv will be able to build a contending team for next season. Really see many changes coming this year just hope we can stay healthy as that is always the biggest issue for any team....The new stadium is just around the corner and I can't wait...things are looking bright for the Vikings and we finally have a solid coaching staff to mould this team.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #364 on: December 30, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
I would love to see the Vikings sign Gordon with the proper clauses! I think AD is done as a Viking. I would like to see the Vikings pick up the RB from Northern Iowa, David Johnson, late in the draft. The guy is 6'3" and 229. He can run, block and catch passes. He will be a good pick up for some team in the NFL. I hope it is the Vikings. I am excited for the future with the pieces in place already, throw in a few more to complete the puzzle and the Vikings will be a force to be reckoned with.
min1 stl3

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #365 on: December 30, 2014, 05:57:45 PM »
I so do not know whether AP is on the team.  You got Zimmer saying he is all about him returning.  Now is that a message to the Wilfs saying. "Hey, he can help us win." Or just covering the team's bases incase the Wilfs cut him so they don't leave on sour terms.  OOOR to let other teams know they want to keep him to jack up a trade price.  However it may lie, Zimmer is playing this correct.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #366 on: December 30, 2014, 08:20:24 PM »
Devante Parker from Louisville WR playing tonight.  Looks exciting, but not true No. 1 type.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #367 on: December 31, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »
I so do not know whether AP is on the team.  You got Zimmer saying he is all about him returning.  Now is that a message to the Wilfs saying. "Hey, he can help us win." Or just covering the team's bases incase the Wilfs cut him so they don't leave on sour terms.  OOOR to let other teams know they want to keep him to jack up a trade price.  However it may lie, Zimmer is playing this correct.

Have to agree, Zimmer is playing this correct and from his stand point he wants him back like most of the team does. Zimmer also points out it's Rob and Rick who decide and at would dollar amounts not him. Personally I see the Vikings contacting AD's agent once everything is settled and making an offer at what his true value is ...which is probably in the 6-7 million range with about 13 million guaranteed. You'll find out in a hurry what AD really thinks about the Vikings then......he won't get paid more than that from any other team so it'll be about where Peterson really wants to play next season and beyond IMO

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.