Author Topic: The Teddy Era Officially begins  (Read 7016 times)

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
Re: The Teddy Era Officially begins
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2014, 04:23:29 PM »
Sounds like the Vikings almost had a shot to bring him back! Seahawks called the Broncos about Julius Thomas and the Browns about Jordan Cameron. Both were shot down, and the Seahawks were ready to straight up cut him at that point.

I heard about the Broncos but didn't know about the Browns. No way they would have let him go to an NFC team
Jets had cap space to burn and this is really a good deal for them. They are only stuck to this year if they chose and at a low to mid range pick  too. Lets see if they release him after this season. If Rex lasts another year and think Harvin will stay barring any major problems.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »
Wait...here is a thought. Rex gets canned after this season and the Jets release Harvin. We get Rex as our new DC and Harvin as a huge discount. Man I don't want to wake up :)

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 03:01:41 PM »
If you need me, I will be getting a pale of cold water to splash hutch with to calm his excitement.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »
Sorry Simmion...:)

Ok Simmion, since the rest of this season is going to be about developing/evaluating players and building chemistry for the future are the any players you would like to see become Vikings for next year.(assuming they'd be available) or guys you just want off the team moving forward? 

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 04:16:13 PM »
I'll do some digging and write a post tonight.  I always love looking towards the future, and with a first year coach and a terrible offense.  There would be plenty to fix up.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 09:36:41 PM »
I'll do some digging and write a post tonight.  I always love looking towards the future, and with a first year coach and a terrible offense.  There would be plenty to fix up.

Yeah.....I'm the same way...knowing we are not going to be competitive this year it's nice to look forward to what changes could or should happen to hopefully build the team. Look forward to your post.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2014, 08:52:16 AM »
This is a list of players whom I am not sure have signed extentions yet.

RB: Darren McFadden.  Hasn't done much but he is with the freaking Oakland Raiders

WR: No real big names coming, but I will flirt with Torrey Smith with BAL.

TE: Jordan Cameron  CLE

OT: Erik Pears BUF

G: We may have depth and I don't know names of this position that well, but anyone would be better than Charlie Johnson.  Yankey might be in the future on our squad. And Fusco just signed a 5 year deal.

DL:  I like it. We got depth and young guys. 

LB: Sam Acho ARI, I think he is a WLB.  Didn't seen many ILB I liked.

CB, Didn't see many names I liked and were young.  Maybe just continue with our guys and a rookie.

S: Taylor Mays, CIN.  SS that actually has speed and power hitting. Blanton has neither. And he worked with Zimmer.

Those are a few names.  I think Acho would be my top choice of going after, but I think he will get resigned if not already.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2014, 09:26:53 AM »
And I say Acho not because it's any time of star, but I don't like our LBs really other than Barr (obviously).

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2014, 01:34:24 PM »
Bleacher Report just put out two exciting articles for Vikings fans. One talks about how great Barr is already, but he still has stuff to get better at! The other is how Norv's adjustments to the run game are coming to fruition and that it's coming together well for this ragtag group that was supposed to be built around AD.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »
This is a list of players whom I am not sure have signed extentions yet.

RB: Darren McFadden.  Hasn't done much but he is with the freaking Oakland Raiders

WR: No real big names coming, but I will flirt with Torrey Smith with BAL.

Nice wish list Simmion

TE: Jordan Cameron  CLE

OT: Erik Pears BUF

G: We may have depth and I don't know names of this position that well, but anyone would be better than Charlie Johnson.  Yankey might be in the future on our squad. And Fusco just signed a 5 year deal.

DL:  I like it. We got depth and young guys. 

LB: Sam Acho ARI, I think he is a WLB.  Didn't seen many ILB I liked.

CB, Didn't see many names I liked and were young.  Maybe just continue with our guys and a rookie.

S: Taylor Mays, CIN.  SS that actually has speed and power hitting. Blanton has neither. And he worked with Zimmer.

Those are a few names.  I think Acho would be my top choice of going after, but I think he will get resigned if not already.

Nice list Simmion.....I agree about the LB group. Just need a total change on a few of them. Woner what will happen with McFadden. We do need a solid north and south runner with hands to team up with McKinnon as Matt is not the answer.

Taylors Mays is the one that really interests me.....he's that ideal size and physical type of players......how is he doing? I thought he was having trouble adjusting to the NFL?  Haven't heard much about him lately.

It's tough finding good O-Line help as everyone needs them.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »
Bleacher Report just put out two exciting articles for Vikings fans. One talks about how great Barr is already, but he still has stuff to get better at! The other is how Norv's adjustments to the run game are coming to fruition and that it's coming together well for this ragtag group that was supposed to be built around AD.

Mqany of these guys will need atleast the entire season to get adjusted with the NFL and hopefully Barr continues to grow. Norv for me is the biggest addition this year ...he will pay huge dividends IMO within a few year....nice to know he's tried HC for a number of years and knows being a OC is his best skill. Should be able to keep him for a number of years.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2014, 07:15:33 PM »

Nice list Simmion.....I agree about the LB group. Just need a total change on a few of them. Woner what will happen with McFadden. We do need a solid north and south runner with hands to team up with McKinnon as Matt is not the answer.

Taylors Mays is the one that really interests me.....he's that ideal size and physical type of players......how is he doing? I thought he was having trouble adjusting to the NFL?  Haven't heard much about him lately.

It's tough finding good O-Line help as everyone needs them.

Yeah Hutch,  He has struggled to adapt.  But he is one of the more true SS type that is available.  I would like to give Blanton some time, but you can only make him so strong, and that extra weight of strength might make him slower.  And as far as McFadden, I really think he could work on a team with a better run blocking line.  He is fast and nimble for his tall lanky frame.  I heard rumors that he could be a guy we target in a trade while just giving up a 7th rounder.  But we are no longer in that position.  McKinnon I like, but I just read a stat that he is rated worst in the league at pass protection.  He is young, but I like what he can bring to the team so far.

Asiata I want to root for.  He seems to have the bruiser build.  He is big, but he crumbles at first contact 90% of the time. Doesn't push the tackler at all.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:18:27 PM by Simmion »

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2014, 06:43:30 AM »
Yeah Hutch,  He has struggled to adapt.  But he is one of the more true SS type that is available.  I would like to give Blanton some time, but you can only make him so strong, and that extra weight of strength might make him slower.  And as far as McFadden, I really think he could work on a team with a better run blocking line.  He is fast and nimble for his tall lanky frame.  I heard rumors that he could be a guy we target in a trade while just giving up a 7th rounder.  But we are no longer in that position.  McKinnon I like, but I just read a stat that he is rated worst in the league at pass protection.  He is young, but I like what he can bring to the team so far.

Asiata I want to root for.  He seems to have the bruiser build.  He is big, but he crumbles at first contact 90% of the time. Doesn't push the tackler at all.

Is Mays available?   I'm with you on his size, he is ideally what you want in a SS.....

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2014, 10:44:30 AM »
It says he is a Free Agent after this season. But that was a list from May, so I don't know. The draft doesn't look very deep either.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »
Watching the game... I should retract my statement of Griffen being stat greedy.   He does what he does.  Our LBs are lacking. 

Hutch to answer your question on who to release.  Greenway doesn't do anything for me anymore.  He didn't play terrible on that 4th and long completion, but all he does is tackle.  It's a tough spot for me because he is a fan fav. but LBs should be play makers too.  Barr is chasing down guys from behind and out sprinting DBs.  The guy is seriously ridiculous.  Greenway isn't meant to cover any receiver.  He is a tackler that can't keep up with the current league.

I love our defense as a whole.  Josh Robinson is fast and meant for this man to man style.  He can keep up with the WR, same with Rohdes,  both need to work on turning heads,  but this style doesn't seem to fit Greenway.  It's all speed.  (Barr has both speed and strength).  I like Hodges as well.  Only guy I would replace is Greenway.

On offense, at this point, I would replace the entire OLine.  Or run pass plays that would avoid the right side since Loadholt is a run heavy dude.  You already know my stance on C. Johnson.  Kalil has to turn it around.  I can't imagine him being as bad as he is after his rookie season.  I have no idea whats wrong with him.  Berger should start at RG if Sullivan can play again.  He always shows up to play and can't be worse than Ducasse.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2014, 12:51:48 PM »
Watching the game... I should retract my statement of Griffen being stat greedy.   He does what he does.  Our LBs are lacking. 

Hutch to answer your question on who to release.  Greenway doesn't do anything for me anymore.  He didn't play terrible on that 4th and long completion, but all he does is tackle.  It's a tough spot for me because he is a fan fav. but LBs should be play makers too.  Barr is chasing down guys from behind and out sprinting DBs.  The guy is seriously ridiculous.  Greenway isn't meant to cover any receiver.  He is a tackler that can't keep up with the current league.

I love our defense as a whole.  Josh Robinson is fast and meant for this man to man style.  He can keep up with the WR, same with Rohdes,  both need to work on turning heads,  but this style doesn't seem to fit Greenway.  It's all speed.  (Barr has both speed and strength).  I like Hodges as well.  Only guy I would replace is Greenway.

On offense, at this point, I would replace the entire OLine.  Or run pass plays that would avoid the right side since Loadholt is a run heavy dude.  You already know my stance on C. Johnson.  Kalil has to turn it around.  I can't imagine him being as bad as he is after his rookie season.  I have no idea whats wrong with him.  Berger should start at RG if Sullivan can play again.  He always shows up to play and can't be worse than Ducasse.

Really like this post Simmion. Sadly Greenway just doesn't fit well in the pass happy league and he's getting up there in age too. This is where we need to find that big safety to cover the middle. This is where I would put a Taylor Mays too as long as he is decent in tackling.

Regarding Rhodes I just don't get it...they guy either is in position and doesn't get his head around or is getting beat badly. His lack of consistency will drive anyone nuts.

I like Berger and you know my stance on Sullivan...they guy isn't that good and didn't deserve the extention he got.....May not happen next draft but we will hopefully use a high pick on a top center in a couple of years. That position is far to important and Sullivan seems to not read defenses well enough to set protections, one big reason Teddy is getting killed.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2014, 08:52:11 PM »
Regarding Rhodes I just don't get it...they guy either is in position and doesn't get his head around or is getting beat badly. His lack of consistency will drive anyone nuts.

I like Berger and you know my stance on Sullivan...they guy isn't that good and didn't deserve the extention he got.....May not happen next draft but we will hopefully use a high pick on a top center in a couple of years. That position is far to important and Sullivan seems to not read defenses well enough to set protections, one big reason Teddy is getting killed.

I am starting to agree on Sullivan.  I don't see how he is anything special. And the hype being forced down our throats by media members is getting annoying.  He isn't bad, but not that top 5 guy everyone says he is.

Rhodes SHOULD be a top tier CB.  It's his second year learning.  He has amazing instincts and some speed to back it up.  The instincts and speed you can't teach.  Once he learns to turn his head and locate the ball (has already shown that at times) he will be that shutdown guy for other teams top WR. He will have bumps as you have mentioned, but even the best do.  He was in perfect position on that TD to win the game, but I don't know if it could have been thrown any better.  Zimmer taught two of them in Cincy, Leon Hall and and Jonathan Joseph until he got Newman again.  Both weren't some All Pro CB with lots of INTs.  But they were quietly elite at their job and never got the recognition they deserved.  Both good coming out of college, but I credit Zimmer for making them who they were.  Rhodes will be that guy.  Josh Robinson (I am gonna gloat a bit here) is that outside guy I was saying he was meant to be all last year with freaking Fraizer. His speed was meant to be outside man coverage and not the damn nickel, and we are seeing it now.  He might be a little better at turning his head for the INT but doesn't have quite the instinct Rhodes has.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2014, 07:14:49 AM »
We'll see if the defense can continue to grow, atleast a few of the players have made a few strides improving their game. I guess if the offense and especially Teddy and our Line had just played decent the previous two games we'd have two more wins and a lot more positive about things. It seems many of the games so far one unit does well and the other doesn't...hopefully that changes for most of the games moving forward

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »
Two things,

1. Teddy can actually run a two minute offense.

2. Shouldn't have been an issue if our defense closed it out for once.  But awesome play by Barr to win the game.  Guy deserves a free dinner from the team.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2014, 05:37:47 PM »
Well....I think I saw a different game today. The defense was awesome. This was a great performance today.

I was impressed with Teddy and that 2 min drill but outside of that he was not good at all. Guys were open and just missed them and then taking check downs on third down that have zero chance at being successful is garbage IMO......That's being way to conservative and he needs to give our guys a chance to make plays. If he just plays like an average QB today this game is over and we are easily winning by double digits. The guy is a rookie and his game will improve but outside he has a ways to go........

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2014, 08:23:35 AM »
Well....I think I saw a different game today. The defense was awesome. This was a great performance today.

I was impressed with Teddy and that 2 min drill but outside of that he was not good at all. Guys were open and just missed them and then taking check downs on third down that have zero chance at being successful is garbage IMO......That's being way to conservative and he needs to give our guys a chance to make plays. If he just plays like an average QB today this game is over and we are easily winning by double digits. The guy is a rookie and his game will improve but outside he has a ways to go........

No No, we saw it the same.  The defense I loved, except on the last drive when they can't just stop the drive and let in a lead changing TD.  I don't know why they seem to fall apart and let every pass suddenly complete and covert, it just pisses me off. I was floored when they allowed that TD.   They way our defense played, we shouldn't be having to force our pathetic offense into a 2 minute drill to save the game.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2014, 08:30:51 AM »
Simmion - I'm just glad our offense was able to run the 2 minute drill! nopity
min1 stl3

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2014, 07:31:52 PM »
No No, we saw it the same.  The defense I loved, except on the last drive when they can't just stop the drive and let in a lead changing TD.  I don't know why they seem to fall apart and let every pass suddenly complete and covert, it just pisses me off. I was floored when they allowed that TD.   They way our defense played, we shouldn't be having to force our pathetic offense into a 2 minute drill to save the game.

I hear you......it's been a few weeks they have had a chance to close the door and failed.....Barr was impressive on that last play

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2014, 08:38:39 AM »
Apparently the Bucs are listening to offers for Mark Barron in addition to Doug Martin and Vincent Jackson. Remember when he was in a draft tier of safeties by himself? Also, the top of that draft is just terrible. Besides Luck, we're lucky we got at least one good season out of Kalil. Luke Kuechly is a stud too. I think he was the 9th pick that year?

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2014, 10:22:52 AM »
Apparently the Bucs are listening to offers for Mark Barron in addition to Doug Martin and Vincent Jackson. Remember when he was in a draft tier of safeties by himself? Also, the top of that draft is just terrible. Besides Luck, we're lucky we got at least one good season out of Kalil. Luke Kuechly is a stud too. I think he was the 9th pick that year?

That's interesting Ven......personally, as much as I like Jackson and Martin I'd avoid both especially Jackson and that's for cap reasons. I'm sure Norv would love to get his big WR back but don't see that happening unless its on the cheap which don't see that either. Barron is a different story.....depending on what it would take he's the one to look at IMO.

That's funny just how bad that draft has turned out so far......if things continue it's probablly go down as the biggest first round draft bust of all time...or pretty close to it.

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.