Author Topic: Giants offseason  (Read 258 times)

Offline Jeep99tj

• Star
  • I shoulda been a pirate.
Giants offseason
« on: November 16, 2014, 11:38:45 PM »
Right now I think what the Giants do will start with Sandoval and whether or not they can sign him. If he does go that leaves a big hole at third as well as at the plate. Arias can fill the spot as far as defense goes but he lacks the power. Duvall played a few games there last year but his defense is suspect. He probably could fill the spot at the plate but what you get there you'll only be giving up with the glove. As far as free agents go Sandoval is the best out there and it's a big drop off after him. As soon as Pablo decides we can go out and fill the holes needed.
I drink tequila and listen to southern rock.
Ain't none y'all funny!
I'm the black Jeep of the family.

Offline Jeep99tj

• Star
Re: Giants offseason
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »

Need for next year in LF - Morse was a great add early in the season then seemed to taper off down the stretch then got hurt. Played a key roll off the bench in the NLCS and as DH in the World Series. Not sure he would be a solution as he is a defensive liability and was routinely replaced in the 6th or 7th inning with a defensive substitute. His replacements, Blanco and Perez were better defensively but lacked at the plate. In the playoffs Ishikawa proved to be adequate but at times showed he was a first baseman by misplaying a few balls. Melky Cabrera is available but not sure if the Giants want him back after the steroids incident the last time he was with the team. Torrii Hunter has age against him right now and could be a short term solution. Nori Aoki could be the best option but at 32 could fill the spot for a few years. Daniel Cabonell coming up from the minors could also happen this next season. A CF, he could move to LF.
Ain't none y'all funny!

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »
Everything I've read (and common sense would dictate) they're doing exactly what you said about Panda...focus on resigning him, before they really even think about much else, then depending on whether he's resigned, or not, go from there.  They've made no bones about the fact resigning him is the priority and is getting their full focus, right now.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Jeep99tj

• Star
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 12:13:57 PM »
Exactly Cali. Their name has only been mentioned with Panda so far along with Boston, San Diego, the White Sox and Toronto. I know we have a couple other areas to fill as well but this one is the biggest.
Ain't none y'all funny!

Offline Jeep99tj

• Star
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:15:29 PM »
I know Scuzz gets to a few Fresno Grizzlies games and would be interested in seeing what he has to say about some of the prospects there.
Ain't none y'all funny!

Offline ninermanic63

• %*&$##@&^
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 06:28:41 AM »
I think the lesson of Barry Zito is going to stay with this team for a very long time.  Since that awful signing, the Giants have been very good at taking care of their own and avoiding the big name free agents.  Gotta keep guys like Panda around.  That guy was a wrecking ball in game 7. 
Everyone should believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 01:28:23 PM »
I was looking for pictures of people in panda hats to post, but then I saw this, and, well...

memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Jeep99tj

• Star
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 05:57:50 PM »
Lester is still out there. MLB Tonight is reporting the Giants and Cubs are the frontrunners for now and Lester should sign by tomorrow evening. I like this. It gives the Giants two dominant lefties in a pitcher friendly park. 
Ain't none y'all funny!

Offline ninermanic63

• %*&$##@&^
  • Icon
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 07:00:06 AM »
No Lester.  He signed with the Cubs.  6 years, $155 million.  I like him, but as a 31 year old, I'm kinda glad the Giants didn't sign a contract that long.  4 years tops and that obviously never would have landed him.
Everyone should believe in something.  I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Jeep99tj

• Star
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »
Supposedly the Giants offered 7 but I'm hearing Sabean saying that isn't true.
Ain't none y'all funny!

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 01:17:11 PM »
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1