Author Topic: Brian Vickers to miss start of season with Heart Surgery, Who will be in the 55  (Read 101 times)

Online mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • Stan "The Man" Musial
Vickers to miss start of season: Michael Waltrip Racing driver Brian Vickers will not be available to race during the early part of the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup season due to health issues. In 58 races driving MWR's #55 Aaron's Toyota, Vickers scored eight top-five and 19 top-10 finishes. He won the July race at New Hampshire in 2013 and captured the pole at Talladega in October 2014. The 2003 Nationwide champion owns three victories and 12 poles in 316 career Sprint Cup starts. "Brian has been a part of the MWR family since 2012 and our thoughts today are with Brian, his wife Sarah and the Vickers family," said MWR co-owner Rob Kauffman. "As a race team, MWR has plenty to consider and we will confer with our partners, including Aaron's and Toyota. As this is fresh news, we will adjust our future plans as more information becomes available."
VICKERS STATEMENT: "First, I want to thank everyone for their sincere support. I have faced obstacles before and it has made victory that much sweeter and I know that will be the case again. My previous experiences have given me a very keen understanding of my body. Late last week I knew something wasn't right, so I went to the hospital to be checked out. Following several tests, it was discovered that my body was rejecting an artificial patch that was inserted in 2010 to fix a hole in my heart. Saturday, I had to have corrective surgery to repair the hole and now I am beginning the recovery process. I will need plenty of time, rest and rehab but this temporary setback will not stop me from pursuing my dream of becoming a NASCAR Sprint Cup champion."(MWR)(12-15-2014)
car2   atl3 den1 arkansas1

Online mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • Stan "The Man" Musial
It will be interesting to see who is in the 55 car.  Good Chance Mikey will drive the 55 at Daytona, which I will like because that means he will actually try to win the race.  Outside of that It could open up a ride for a top young driver.  Could Michael actually steal Elliott from Hendrick and put chase in the car full time?  Would NAPA re-unite with Michael with Chase in the car?  Could one of JGR's young drivers move up to the 55 car? 

From my prospective, as much as I'd like to see Chase in the 55 car, I don't think NAPA would come back to MWR, which would be a shame.  As far as a young driver from JGR,  I could see that.  I just hope they put someone who is competitive in the car and who will be able to race for a top 10 slot and not a back of the field, field filler driver. 

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
  • Most Loyal Fans In Racing - The "Rowdy" Nation
It will be interesting to see who is in the 55 car.  Good Chance Mikey will drive the 55 at Daytona, which I will like because that means he will actually try to win the race.  Outside of that It could open up a ride for a top young driver.  Could Michael actually steal Elliott from Hendrick and put chase in the car full time?  Would NAPA re-unite with Michael with Chase in the car?  Could one of JGR's young drivers move up to the 55 car? 

From my prospective, as much as I'd like to see Chase in the 55 car, I don't think NAPA would come back to MWR, which would be a shame.  As far as a young driver from JGR,  I could see that.  I just hope they put someone who is competitive in the car and who will be able to race for a top 10 slot and not a back of the field, field filler driver. 

Well Hendrick has Chase locked up so that isn't happening.
Daniel Suarez isn't ready for cup out of JGR plus he has a few Truck Races lined up to go along with his full time Xfinity ride in the #18. Erik Jones at barely 18 is good enough but I think 18 is to young for cup. Don't forget Darrell Wallace Jr. has been released from his contract at JGR, rumor has it he will be running full time in the NXS for Roush.
Brian Vickers has really struggled with his health and this is the second time hes had heart surgery, I think I read somewhere where he may not even return. Hornish is at RPM, I am not sure who it should be, If Erik had a full year in the NXS id say he'd be the best because he and Chase are going to be Petty and Pearson all over again. But we will see what they do for sure. Spikes.
Kyle"Rowdy"Busch 2015 Sprint Cup Champion !

HD review of the Championship round at Homestead 2015 !

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
Alex Bowman
   mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Online mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • Stan "The Man" Musial
Vickers will be back in the car for Vegas according to Jayski.  Michael will drive the 55 at Daytona and they will have s sub for Atlanta.  I like that Michael will drive the 55 at Daytona it means he may actually go for a win instead of laying in the back and seeing where he ends up when the carnage is overwith.    No word on who they are looking at to sub for the Atlanta race. 

Offline Ben Rinaldi

• NASCAR Pick 3 Manager
  • Board Mod
  • Star
I also saw they granted Vickers a waiver for the chase, too.  Good to see Brian is going to be back pretty soon.

Online mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • Stan "The Man" Musial
That's good to hear Cowboy.  I hadn't heard that.  Since this is a medical issue they should grant the waiver. 

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
He still has to qualify, but at least he has a chance to make the Chase.
   mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Online mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • Stan "The Man" Musial
yes, getting that win is the hard part for MWR

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
  • Gig 'Em!
Elliott Sadler is also at RFR now, so he's out.  I was thinking through it, and there really aren't a lot of options for competitive drivers that could possibly fill the seat.  Alex Bowman does seem the most likely choice, since he has the Cup experience (albeit in subpar equipment), and ran pretty well for JRM late last season.  Depends on if he has something lined up for 2015 already and it just hasn't been announced.

Online mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • Stan "The Man" Musial
Moffitt in the #55 at Atlanta: Brett_Moffitt will be driving the #55 Aarons Dream Machine at Atlanta Motor Speedway.(MWR Twitter), doctors have medically cleared regular #55 driver Brian Vickers to return to full-time Sprint Cup racing in early March, three months after corrective heart surgery and Vickers will return at Las Vegas. Team Owner Michael Waltrip will drive the #55 in the Daytona 500.(1-27-2015)