Author Topic: Final thoughts on the 2014 season...  (Read 711 times)

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
Final thoughts on the 2014 season...
« on: January 03, 2015, 07:11:42 AM »
Vikings finally have a QB moving forward!

Just a few thoughts on our favorite team...

1) Teddy is ready- Teddy Bridgewater has shown in his 1st 12 starts that he is the guy moving forward. Great completion %, and his seemingly never rattled attitude, along with pocket presence would seem to equal a great draft choice by the Vikings...

2) AP and the Vikings- I said it before and I'll say it again. Had AP been allowed to play this year the Vikings would probably be playing this weekend. Every ordinary Joe knows that a great running game is a young QBs greatest friend. Good players make plays. Great players make other players great. Looking back on the construction of this O-line that's obvious. A couple years ago AP made an ordinary line a great O-line. AP would have went a long way to make this team a contender in Zimmer's 1st year as coach...I understand that his cap hit is significant. IF the Vikings desire him to come back, truly. They will do what they can to make sure AP plays for this team the next 2 years, or at least until a real draft pick at RB comes along. I don't believe that McKinnon is that guy. He may turn out to be a good 3rd down back, but he lack the home run ability that creates space for the other weapons on this team...

3) DEFENSE!, DEFENSE!, DEFENSE!- Talk about a real pleasant surprise. Zimmer has worked some magic, with a team that was the dregs of the league last season. The huge leap forward has me thinking back to the days of the most dominant defense in the league. No, this isn't the "Purple People Eaters." Sure this team lacks a couple components, but the way the reserves stepped up their play when they were in has me thinking playoffs next year...

4) Anthony Barr- I was OK with this pick. Had he not gotten injured perhaps he would be in the discussion for Rookie of the Year? I thought he had hit the "rookie wall," but that wasn't the case. I wanted Teddy with that selection, but I got the best of both worlds. Barr should be a force moving forward. The Vikings need a MLB, and a replacement for Chad Greenway, as his contract is simply too large for the returns on investment. he's been injured the last 3 seasons as well. He needs to take a pay cut IF he wants to stay playing for the Vikings...

5) Players that should be gone next year- Chad Greenway, if he doesn't take a pay cut...CHARLIE JOHNSON (LG), no matter what. He's awful!...Jerome Felton, It's not that I don't like him. He just costs too much for a position that could be filled at a far more reasonable number...Josh Robinson, as a starter. Sure he can be a 4th or 5th CB on ANY team. He simply doesn't have the size to combat what seems to kill the Vikings far too often. That is a tall rangy WR. and there are plenty in this division...

My assessment of the Vikings coming out of Zimmer's and Teddy's 1st year?...SKOL Brother!

CNA
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 07:14:36 AM by kokomodan »
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
Re: Final thoughts on the 2014 season...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 03:43:58 PM »
I think it would be interesting on every ones views. For me it was always going to be a 2+ years process to build hopefully a top end team and year one was a nice step in that direction.

1)  number one thing are the coaches, especially Turner, will make the difference in the Vikings becoming a top end team. Game planning, player development are such a huge deal now and IMO we finally have coaches that can do this at a high level....it's been a long time coming.

2) Regarding Teddy it was a solid first year and promise is the word that best describes what I feel about him. The sad part we are still another year away from finding out if he can be that guy for us. Year one the QB and offense are the ones that come out swinging and defenses are more reacting to something new. Year two the defenses have lots of tape and can now game plan from what they have learned...this is where they now come out swinging. We all have high hopes for Teddy and he could very well be that guy but many said that about RG111, Kapp, Wilson etc ...they were great in their first seasons then took a steps back in there second year as starters. It takes many years for a QB to develop into an elite player, it's doesn't happen in a few years. I think Teddy has a great chance at doing that but I don't think year two will be better than year one. If it is that'd be great, as long as he doesn't regress and handles what defense throw at him that will be a success IMO.....Year 3 is the year I expect him to take the next step forward.

3) With AP not on the team I think it was good and bad...bad in that he would have taken defenders out of coverage and added to out 15th ranked run game but good in the fact Teddy was able to take on a great role and furthered his development. I like McKinnon but don't think he's built to be a featured back and really think the Vikings will be going to a two back system anyway.

4) The defense did take a huge leap forward and with the addition and subtraction of certain players this can be a great unit...stress can be. It will be about disguising coverages and schemes IMO. Never want to be predictable and thus far we are not......looking forward to changes coming next season and beyond.

5) Lots of changes on both sides of the ball coming......Zimmer and Norv will be building their units the way they want and I can see many different starters next season.

Next season should be a fun year and hopefully a nice run to the play offs. We will have a tough schedule next year so that will make it very tough. Still looking forward to the first season in the new stadium. that's when IMO we will see all the pieces together ready to take back the NFC north.

Offline 1hotchev

• Veteran
  • God loves a workin Man
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:30:37 PM »
1,  it sucks watching the playoffs and the Vikes aren't in it
2,  it blows when you talk Vikings with friends the word rebuilding comes up pretty much every time
3, it pounds sand were not in the playoffs, oh I already mentioned that
4, the offense looks like we should be much better next year
5, Teddy looks good
6, I think our Defense will be really good next year
7, next year, as Jim Mora said, playoffs
go Vikes go bid D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:38:14 PM by 1hotchev »
PAGE NAMED NFLS MVP — In 1971 Alan Page became the first defensive player to be named the Most Valuable Player of the National Football League by the Associated Press. Page headed a Vikings defense that held opponents to fewer than 10 points a game.

Offline 1hotchev

• Veteran
  • God loves a workin Man
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 10:15:53 AM »
when you look at the landscape of the NFL we don't look bad, there are alot of teams with glaring problems. we look pretty close. it was a tough year but the foundation looks good. The coaching staff worked out well, our young QB looks like he has a pretty high ceiling and with another good draft we should be ready to take the next step
PAGE NAMED NFLS MVP — In 1971 Alan Page became the first defensive player to be named the Most Valuable Player of the National Football League by the Associated Press. Page headed a Vikings defense that held opponents to fewer than 10 points a game.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 12:45:55 PM »
when you look at the landscape of the NFL we don't look bad, there are alot of teams with glaring problems. we look pretty close. it was a tough year but the foundation looks good. The coaching staff worked out well, our young QB looks like he has a pretty high ceiling and with another good draft we should be ready to take the next step

If anything this year in the NFL has taught us is you need quality back ups especially at key positions no matter how good your starters are. The Cardinals were down to their fourth string QB playing in a play off game and they lost may starters on defense too. Many teams suffered huge injuries that were critical to there seasons....whether it's your QB or your RB   in the Steelers case or whomever you need solid back ups. Hopefully we keep Cassel for another season and we gain depth at a few positions too. Injuries are the norm....it's not always how good your starters are...it's how good your back ups are that IMO makes or breaks a season.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »
If anything this year in the NFL has taught us is you need quality back ups especially at key positions no matter how good your starters are. The Cardinals were down to their fourth string QB playing in a play off game and they lost may starters on defense too. Many teams suffered huge injuries that were critical to there seasons....whether it's your QB or your RB   in the Steelers case or whomever you need solid back ups. Hopefully we keep Cassel for another season and we gain depth at a few positions too. Injuries are the norm....it's not always how good your starters are...it's how good your back ups are that IMO makes or breaks a season.

Agreed, all you have to do is look at the Giants. They were crippled with injuries this year. Sure every team will encounter injuries. It's the NFL, but when a team loses the number of players the Giants did the season is lost...What most people fail to realize is this. The salary cap is in place to make this league more competitive. For the most part I believe it accomplishes this. Problem being a team that is near the top and has less cap room simply cannot keep pace when the injury bug hits them hard.

As for the Vikings, the fact that AP wasn't playing hurt them more than a situation for another team. The cap number that AP was responsible for is the reason. It's really no different than losing a top tier QB salary wise. The Offense was built to allow AP to be featured. The run 1st mentality the Vikings were to incorporate was compromised with him NOT in there. The results were a porous pass protecting O-line that was built to block for AP. Then again was the lack of depth at many positions because of lack luster drafts by the Vikings in the recent past. Those are facts, not simply my opinion. Look at the 1st round and 2nd round picks recently. Rudolph continues to be injured. Kalil was gawd awful in pass protection. He did play better toward the end, but at #3 overall a few years ago, he has to be on the verge of BUSTO consideration. Patterson disappeared form this offense when the space AP created was taken away. Floyd hasn't exactly set the world on fire either, and he had injuries as well...At least the Vikings got returns on Rhodes this year in a defense that is more suitable to his playing style. Don't get me started on Spielman's continued misses after round 2, because that is not debatable...When the future of ANY team revolves around stocking talent in later rounds the Vikings have failed. The pick up of Charles Johnson is a bright spot for Rick, and I give his props for that...

Looking at an upper echelon team like Seattle you can see where competent talent evaluation and some luck will get you toward the top of the league. Then look at the Packers and their obvious lack of free agents on the team. The core of any good team in the NFL is built through the draft. I commend Zimmer and his turn around of the Vikings defense and the trend should continue. Looking at the Vikings past the starters explains just how fine a line Zimmer was working with this season. 7-9 was a success, in my opinion. This team won on the road and finally got as division win in the last game. The ball is in Spielman's court again. Should the team take a backward step next season and the Viking draft continue to suck after round 2, Spielman will be on the NFL network with his buddy Mayhew...

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 12:03:44 PM »
This will be an interesting off season for the Vikings......We have many contracts that are structured perfectly for us to walk away from should we desire too and we have a very young team with a good chunk of money to spend if we desire. Whether it's Jennings, Greenway, Peterson all three could be with the team or all three could be gone next season. The Vikings can let all and their huge contracts walk if they desire. Personally I think the Vikings go after a few FA's this season if Zimmer or Norv deem them important pieces. This is the year that both sides of the ball should resemble what the coachers envisioned when they took the job. Guys like Ray Maluluga (excuse the spelling) the LB form Cinni will be a free agent and one player that I could see the Vikings going after if the Bengals don't resign him. I agree the draft is the way to go for the majority of your team but the Vikings have the money and a few more experienced proven players could go along way to building our team.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 12:26:47 PM »

A side note on yesterday's Lion, Cowboy game...How do they pick up that flag?...Well, just another in the long line of Cowboy calls. Many believe the "Hail Mary was the 1st, but in that very game on 4th and 17 prior to the "Hail Mary" play...I'm no Ed Hockulee, but I find it virtually impossible that Drew Pearson came down with 2 feet in bounds, and further, don't believe he had 1 foot in. Watch Matt Blair plead his case pointing to the obvious mark on the line or out of bounds. By the way, there was no force out rule at the time and a player had to have 2 feet in bounds...The 48 second mark of the video, and 44 seconds left in game, is where the play begins...SMFH
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:30:46 PM by kokomodan »

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 02:27:44 PM »
there were a lot of messed up calls or non calls in this weekends games....The refs were horrible on many occasions. To pick a flag up after they announce and march it off is pretty bad but to also miss Dez Bryant on the field without a helmet is inexcusable.....that's an automatic foul. The Lions still had there chances to get the win and blew it but that was huge at that point of the game. I really hope things improve for this weeks games .......

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 08:56:04 AM »
there were a lot of messed up calls or non calls in this weekends games....The refs were horrible on many occasions. To pick a flag up after they announce and march it off is pretty bad but to also miss Dez Bryant on the field without a helmet is inexcusable.....that's an automatic foul. The Lions still had there chances to get the win and blew it but that was huge at that point of the game. I really hope things improve for this weeks games .......

All I have to say is Pete Morelli...Same douchebag that was the referee when the Vikings played the Saints in 09...Need I say more?

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
All I have to say is Pete Morelli...Same douchebag that was the referee when the Vikings played the Saints in 09...Need I say more?

Really???  I didn't realize. Well he $^%&^  us out of a chance to go to the Super Bowl now he ^&&^&*&*( the Lions too.....wonder who'll he'll piss off this week. Watching these games it did go both ways on the calls, I just can't believe how much they missed or where so inconsistent during the game......one play its a penalty and the next time it happens its not.

Offline 1hotchev

• Veteran
  • God loves a workin Man
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 02:20:56 AM »
   good knowledge, I had no idea the no call kid screwed  up both games, I'll bet if  he did that genealogy bullshit he'd find out his real dad was a ref at the hail mary game.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 02:29:44 AM by 1hotchev »

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.