Author Topic: End of an Era - Jeff Gordon to Retire after 2015 Season  (Read 144 times)

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
End of an Era - Jeff Gordon to Retire after 2015 Season
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »
Jeff Gordon to run final full-time NASCAR season in 2015: Jeff Gordon will compete in his 23rd and final full-time Sprint Cup Series season in 2015. He announced his decision this morning to the #24 Hendrick Motorsports team he has driven for since November 1992. "As a race car driver, much of what I've done throughout my life has been based on following my instincts and trying to make good decisions," Gordon said. "I thought long and hard about my future this past year and during the offseason, and I've decided 2015 will be the last time I compete for a championship. I won't use the 'R-word' because I plan to stay extremely busy in the years ahead, and there's always the possibility I'll compete in selected events, although I currently have no plans to do that. I don't foresee a day when I'll ever step away from racing. I'm a fan of all forms of motor sports, but particularly NASCAR. We have a tremendous product, and I'm passionate about the business and its future success. As an equity owner in Hendrick Motorsports, I'm a partner with Rick (Hendrick) and will remain heavily involved with the company for many years to come. It means so much to have the chance to continue working with the owner who took a chance on me and the incredible team that's stood behind me every step of the way. Racing has provided a tremendous amount of opportunity that's been extraordinarily rewarding and fulfilling in my life. The work we're doing with the Jeff Gordon Children's Foundation will continue to be extremely important to me. Outside the race car, my passion is pediatric cancer research, and my efforts will remain focused there when I'm no longer driving. I'll explore opportunities for the next phase of my career, but my primary focus now and throughout 2015 will be my performance in the No. 24 Chevrolet. I'm going to pour everything I have into this season and look forward to the challenge of competing for one last championship. To everyone at NASCAR, my teammates, sponsors, competitors, friends, family, members of the media and especially our incredible fans, all I can say is thank you."
 Gordon, 43, has earned four career Cup championships, 92 points-paying race wins and 77 pole positions, all for longtime car owner Rick Hendrick. He is third in all-time victories behind only NASCAR Hall of Fame drivers Richard Petty (200) and David Pearson (105). One of the most versatile drivers of his era in any auto racing discipline, Gordon's résumé includes three Daytona 500 victories and a record five Brickyard 400 wins. He is the sport's winningest road course driver with nine victories, stands alone as the all-time leader with 12 restrictor plate wins and has won at every track on the Sprint Cup circuit with the exception of Kentucky Speedway.
 "There's simply no way to quantify Jeff's impact," said Hendrick, who first noticed Gordon during a race at Atlanta Motor Speedway in March 1992. "He's one of the biggest sports stars of a generation, and his contributions to the success and growth of NASCAR are unsurpassed. There's been no better ambassador for stock car racing and no greater representation of what a champion should be. I will never be able to properly express the respect and admiration I have for Jeff and how meaningful our relationship is to me. I'm so grateful for everything he's done for our company and my family, and I look forward to many more years together as friends and business partners." Hendrick Motorsports will announce plans for its 2016 team alignment at a later date.(Hendrick Motorsports)(1-22-2015) - Jayski
   mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Offline Ben Rinaldi

• NASCAR Pick 3 Manager
  • Board Mod
  • Star
Re: End of an Era - Jeff Gordon to Retire after 2015 Season
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:40:55 AM »
As much as I've expected it and tried to prepare myself, it's still shocking to see it actually happen.

Regardless of how last season ended, it was incredible just to watch Jeff run as well as he did at this point in his career.  If he can have half the success he had this past season, I'd be thrilled.  I'll make sure to enjoy every race that much more this season.

Offline SoCalSaint

• Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:23:50 AM »
It seems like only yesterday that he was out there making EVERY rookie mistake there was to make...... They grow up so fast don't they??? I just hope they don't turn this into a circus,,,, but you know they will !!!

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • Decades of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:30:51 PM »
It isn't total retirement.  He will not drive full time.  Look for him to do a Mark Martin type schedule.  Where he runs the 1 1/2, 2 milers, the Daytona 500 and maybe Bristol and Martinsville
car2   atl3 den1 arkansas1

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • Decades of Confusion
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »
So if Rick puts Chase Elliott in the 24 car  Will Jeff drive the 14 car while Tony retires of gives up his ownership of SHR? 

Offline Ben Rinaldi

• NASCAR Pick 3 Manager
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 01:06:16 PM »
I think I'd Jeff does anything, it would probably end up being a max of 4-5 races a season.  it definitely won't be extensive.

Offline SoCalSaint

• Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »
They always seem to come back for one reason or another. The only one that retired and was done with it was Rusty Wallace. 

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
  • Most Loyal Fans In Racing - The "Rowdy" Nation
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 05:44:44 PM »
So if Rick puts Chase Elliott in the 24 car  Will Jeff drive the 14 car while Tony retires of gives up his ownership of SHR? 

Pretty cut and dry that Chase will be the #24 driver, maybe a number change but the team will be his anyways.
But many questions arise, what of the many sponsors on the #24? 3M just signed through 2017, Panasonic has done the same multi-year deal with Gordon and Pepsi is going to sponsor the #5 car this year some races, guess someone knew, what about Elliott's sponsor NAPA, they have always sponsored a whole season so do they go somewhere else or does the many #24 sponsors get shuffled out in the #5 and #88 teams?

Interesting at the timing of this. But Jeff will get honored at many tracks this year as he well should.

Ah, Tony? Well he is just racing, he won't be competitive again this year, he already is letting the #4 car keep the top pit crew at SHR with the chase swap now being permanent, and Tony also still has surgery left to do on his leg, he is saying he will have another surgery after this season, he is basically done, Done !

JGR will have to make room in two years for Erik Jones at the cup level that is for sure.
Denny Hamlin better have a good year as there is no talk yet of a contract extension which his is due now, his current contract ends this year, Spikes.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:49:44 PM by SpikesRowdy18 »
Kyle"Rowdy"Busch 2015 Sprint Cup Champion !

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 07:55:45 AM »
They always seem to come back for one reason or another. The only one that retired and was done with it was Rusty Wallace. 
Dale Jarrett didn't hang around either.

Offline Ben Rinaldi

• NASCAR Pick 3 Manager
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
From listening to Jeff's interviews yesterday, I don't think he's going to be taking the Mark Martin approach. 

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 10:45:05 AM »
I think he will be leaving the door open to help out when necessary, but not to run a PT schedule.

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • Decades of Confusion
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 12:47:32 PM »
I can see Jeff running the trucks as that is about a 20 race schedule with a couple of cup races here and there including the Daytona 500.  But who will give him a ride, Hendrick can't, SHR Can't Ganassi? 

Offline Ben Rinaldi

• NASCAR Pick 3 Manager
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 12:51:40 PM »
From what he was saying yesterday, this year will be his final Daytona 500.  He said if he were to make a Cup appearance again, he would rather do it at a short track or road course. 

He made it pretty clear (from my reaction anyways) that he won't ever be running anything remotely close to 20 races in NASCAR.  If anything, it sounds like he'd be more interested in driving in a non-NASCAR series and exploring those options.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:20:13 PM by CowboysForever9 »

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
  • Home is where my treestand is
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 08:53:06 AM »
As much as I've disliked him over the years....still gotta respect the hell out of what he was able to accomplish in his career.

IMO, Jeff saw the kind of driver Chase was going to be, and with his back issues decided now was as good a time as any to hang 'em up.  I too wondered if they would keep the 24 on the car or switch to another number.  I saw one interview where he talked about remaining at HMS, but it sounds like it will be in an executive role rather than any kind of driving.
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 dal2

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
  • Home is where my treestand is
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 05:00:08 PM »
Just saw an article in USA Today that Gordon is going to do color-commentary for a few Xfinity Series races this year too
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 dal2

Offline River Rat

• Home of 2017 Rats Cup
  • Coach
  • Too old for this $&#@
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »
I've not been a huge fan of his, ( probably the Hendrick factor) But it looks like he is doing the right thing.  Chase is the next big thing and destine to have a ride in 2016.  ( Kasey Kahne may want to say a big thanks to Jeff and spring for the cake )  Jeff may be a road course ringer or jump in to help an injured driver.
Just saw an article in USA Today that Gordon is going to do color-commentary for a few Xfinity Series races this year too

But this is where I imagine he'll be spending his time, in the broadcast booth. ^^^
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 06:47:45 PM by River Rat »

Went out last night and got really wasted. 
I woke up in the middle of the night next to some chick who was snoring and farting, so I knew I made it home OK.

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 09:16:47 AM »
I've not been a huge fan of his, ( probably the Hendrick factor) But it looks like he is doing the right thing.  Chase is the next big thing and destine to have a ride in 2016.  ( Kasey Kahne may want to say a big thanks to Jeff and spring for the cake )  Jeff may be a road course ringer or jump in to help an injured driver.

I think that KK should buy him the "Gold Watch" too.