Author Topic: HOF  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Simmion

• Star
HOF
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »
Jerome Bettis just made the HOF before Tim Brown.... Your thoughts. ...  Bettis was the iconic "Bus"  But I think Tim Brown is way overdue. Just like it took Cris Carter a couple years to get in when they were the best at the time. Jerome was top 10 at RB during his time.  I never really thought of him as a HOFer.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline 1hotchev

• Veteran
  • God loves a workin Man
Re: HOF
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2015, 09:29:15 PM »
I agree the bus was very good, an all pro type player we will all remember. But if we are talking HOF lets think about Billy Sims, Chuck Muncie, Herschal Walker and Chuck Foreman they were all much better. Tim Brown got ripped, I live 50 miles from Oakland so the local talking heads have pretty much mirrored Simmions  opinion. I think Tim will get in but it might be a while.
PAGE NAMED NFLS MVP — In 1971 Alan Page became the first defensive player to be named the Most Valuable Player of the National Football League by the Associated Press. Page headed a Vikings defense that held opponents to fewer than 10 points a game.

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2015, 08:01:04 AM »
I have to agree about Bettis too.....not sure how he gets in at all. I think they really need to change how and who does the voting for this as it's become a real joke. It's no longer aboput being the very best football player at your position anymore and the egos of the stubburn obnoxious idiots making the choices needs to change. Bettis was a great player but not HOF.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2015, 09:40:56 AM »
I have to agree about Bettis too.....not sure how he gets in at all. I think they really need to change how and who does the voting for this as it's become a real joke. It's no longer aboput being the very best football player at your position anymore and the egos of the stubburn obnoxious idiots making the choices needs to change. Bettis was a great player but not HOF.

Then you got the idiots that withhold their vote just because.  Vote for someone or get your vote taken away.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2015, 09:59:58 PM »
Then you got the idiots that withhold their vote just because.  Vote for someone or get your vote taken away.

Exactly......things need to change.

Great football game tonight....Butler will remember that play for ever.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2015, 08:20:39 AM »
Exactly......things need to change.

Great football game tonight....Butler will remember that play for ever.

Was that the most idiotic play call ever? Somehow I believe that the entire NFL didn't want to have Marshawn Lynch as the Super Bowl MVP. That's what would have happened had Pete Carrol just ran the ball like EVERYONE thought he would...Talk about over thinking an easy option!...That play call trumped EVERY call Musgrave ever made while he was with the Vikings.
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2015, 03:31:43 PM »
Was that the most idiotic play call ever? Somehow I believe that the entire NFL didn't want to have Marshawn Lynch as the Super Bowl MVP. That's what would have happened had Pete Carrol just ran the ball like EVERYONE thought he would...Talk about over thinking an easy option!...That play call trumped EVERY call Musgrave ever made while he was with the Vikings.

Everyone seems to be jumping down Carrolls throat on this and it's easy to say just hand the ball to Lynch. It's one of those plays if it works your a hero and if it doesn't your a zero. I personally have no problem with the play calling. If you look back at the play just before half it was very similar and really that was a worse call IMO. With 6 seconds left you take the field goal all day long especially considering you get the ball to start the 3rd. Yet when Carroll went for it then they raved about the play simply because it worked...had it not and the clocked expired they would have called it a huge bone headed mistake. They ran the ball on first down and Lynch almost got it it then. With 20 seconds or so left on the clock and 1 time out left that pass play made sense because if you run it there and it doesn't work you blow your final time out and pretty much have to pass it on 3rd or 4th down. If that ball had been batted down and not intercepted they would have called it a smart move as it would have stopped the clock saving the time out and leaving the option to run what ever play they wanted and keeping the defense guessing all along running the clock down not giving the Pats a chance to come back. The match up you wanted was there... a rookie CB playing off and a quick WR with a one yard slant ....it was the ideal match up. Butler made one hell of a play IMO and that was the difference....that's a TD 9 times out of ten IMO and the one time just happened there. It's going to go down a real bone headed move but  had it worked out it would have been raved about as a great move.  It was a great game and only one team can win it.....Carroll has been a great coach with Seattle, don't be surprised to see them back in it again next season.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2015, 06:57:11 AM »
Carroll insists that they were playing for 3rd and 4th down. Why? In the game the Patriots had stopped Lynch for no gain on about 2 plays and the defense was sucking wind. The play prior he gained 4 yards. The play you say was a good call was simply NOT a good call. Wilson placed the ball high when he had eye contact with the intercepting player. The ball could have easily been tipped into the air on that play as well...The play at the end of the half was almost a gimme, as the taller player was at least 5 inches taller and an errant throw would have been merely an incompletion and a FG attempt. That was a gutsy call, but the last play for Seattle was over thought and under performed at the very least. I wonder why the Chicago Bulls didn't simply give the ball to Bill Cartright when the game was on the line? Oh yeah they had the best player on the court taking the game winner! Marshawn Lynch WAS the Seahawks best option. The 2nd best option was the read option. Where Wilson could have read the defense and either handed off or beat the lone defender into the end zone. At that juncture the Patriots would have had less than 20 seconds to maneuver into FG position. After all they had 1 time out and still would have 2 chances to score had Lynch or Wilson not have gotten the ball across. Hutch you said it when you claimed Carroll to be a good coach. How can anyone argue against that, after all he won last year's Super Bowl?

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
By the way, who wanted this guy?

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2015, 11:59:18 AM »
Carroll insists that they were playing for 3rd and 4th down. Why? In the game the Patriots had stopped Lynch for no gain on about 2 plays and the defense was sucking wind. The play prior he gained 4 yards. The play you say was a good call was simply NOT a good call. Wilson placed the ball high when he had eye contact with the intercepting player. The ball could have easily been tipped into the air on that play as well...The play at the end of the half was almost a gimme, as the taller player was at least 5 inches taller and an errant throw would have been merely an incompletion and a FG attempt. That was a gutsy call, but the last play for Seattle was over thought and under performed at the very least. I wonder why the Chicago Bulls didn't simply give the ball to Bill Cartright when the game was on the line? Oh yeah they had the best player on the court taking the game winner! Marshawn Lynch WAS the Seahawks best option. The 2nd best option was the read option. Where Wilson could have read the defense and either handed off or beat the lone defender into the end zone. At that juncture the Patriots would have had less than 20 seconds to maneuver into FG position. After all they had 1 time out and still would have 2 chances to score had Lynch or Wilson not have gotten the ball across. Hutch you said it when you claimed Carroll to be a good coach. How can anyone argue against that, after all he won last year's Super Bowl?

Well...we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. What does kill me is most people myself included hate when a coach is predictable and conservative. Carroll has coached his team to 2 consecutive super bowls with Bevell being the OC on both. There was no guarantee Lynch would have scored and he was stop previously on short yardage plays. Seattle targeted the Rookie on that play and they had the match up they wanted...they had a rookie and the number 5 CB on the team. You always run a play thinking it will be executed properly and one that should have worked. They could have fumbled the ball running it too. The fact the throw was a little wide, the WR could have done a better job blocking out the defender and the WR blocking could have push his player back further to not give Butler a direct route to the ball......A lot could have been different including Butler not making the play of his life. With Lynch on the team you can always question that play but the match up was there....if everyone does there job on that play it's an easy touch down.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 12:03:51 PM »
Because it cost them the Super Bowl it was huge but lets face it, the Packers game their game away with a number of bad miscues and players not doing their assignments (on side kick) that allowed Seattle to get to the Super Bowl.........one thing for sure there was a lot of drama in this years play offs.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »
It was a bad call.  But I didn't mind that it was a pass.  But it was the quick slant when 80% of the defensive players where in the box.  You have 26 seconds.  If you call a pass, it's a jump ball to your guy that is 6 inches taller that they called earlier.  And then you have 15 seconds l left with 1 TO left and 2 more downs.  They were on the 1 yard line where they could  not stop Beast all night.  I understand the thought.... catch them off guard. I understand why.  Hoping for the quick catch them off guard, but in that situation.  You go to what works.  And that was Lynch... If it doesn't work.  You call one last TO and you again call a heavy dive, if it doesn't work, you call one last dive in a hurry up. I would call it 99.9% chance they win if they did that....

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 09:18:36 PM »
This year's playoffs and SB were awesome.  For a football fan, it can't get any better.  Loved this year's post season.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2015, 08:51:06 AM »
It was a bad call.  But I didn't mind that it was a pass.  But it was the quick slant when 80% of the defensive players where in the box.  You have 26 seconds.  If you call a pass, it's a jump ball to your guy that is 6 inches taller that they called earlier.  And then you have 15 seconds l left with 1 TO left and 2 more downs.  They were on the 1 yard line where they could  not stop Beast all night.  I understand the thought.... catch them off guard. I understand why.  Hoping for the quick catch them off guard, but in that situation.  You go to what works.  And that was Lynch... If it doesn't work.  You call one last TO and you again call a heavy dive, if it doesn't work, you call one last dive in a hurry up. I would call it 99.9% chance they win if they did that....

Exactly my thoughts Simmion...Oh yeah, that INT cost me $2600! I had 1 and 8 on the board for the final...I will NEVER cheer for a Pete Carroll coached team again!

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »

Exactly my thoughts Simmion...Oh yeah, that INT cost me $2600! I had 1 and 8 on the board for the final...I will NEVER cheer for a Pete Carroll coached team again!

Ok.....now it was the worst call ever.....that really sucks.

Offline Tushay

• Hall of Famer
  • Blue Lives MATTER!!!
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »
Wilfs to jumpstart a campaign to get Jim Marshall into the Hall of Fame. This is great NEWS!!!
min3             min1             min2             min4

SKI-U-MAH     GO NAVY

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.