Author Topic: Your thoughts on the new pit road monitoring system  (Read 142 times)

Offline Section_725

• Star
  • Try Not! Do! Or Do Not! There Is No Try!
Your thoughts on the new pit road monitoring system
« on: February 03, 2015, 04:52:36 PM »
So NASCAR is going high tech this year using computers and cameras to catch pit road violations. It's another step that takes away the human element in racing. Sure it will catch more infractions, but I think having an official in each pit is the way to go.
Having said that, if someone gives me a good convincing argument I could change my opinion. I just see the next step being robot pit crews.
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
Re: Your thoughts on the new pit road monitoring system
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 11:29:45 PM »
I do not like the idea.  Thinking that there will be some big adjustments. 
There should be refs in the pits.
   mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Offline Section_725

• Star
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 07:28:40 PM »
Wow, this sure is a hotbed topic.
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Offline Jeep99tj

• Contributing Member
  • Star
  • I shoulda been a pirate.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 07:32:38 PM »
So NASCAR is going high tech this year using computers and cameras to catch pit road violations. It's another step that takes away the human element in racing. Sure it will catch more infractions, but I think having an official in each pit is the way to go.
Having said that, if someone gives me a good convincing argument I could change my opinion. I just see the next step being robot pit crews.

All I can see coming from this is a bunch of nit-picking on infractions.
I drink tequila and listen to southern rock.
Ain't none y'all funny!
I'm the black Jeep of the family.

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • 37 Ford
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 07:35:39 AM »
I haven't seen the article so I don't know what they are looking for.  Is it for Pit Crews over the wall too fast? or is it to better control speeding?  Face it if you have a stall that is close enough from a timing line you can pass several cars as you live your pits before you have to slow down to get to the next timing line.  If this is he case then I have no problem.  Outside of that I don't see computers saying a lug nut is not on or any other infraction on pit road that it would take a human eye to detect.
car2   atl3 den1 arkansas1

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 11:35:50 AM »
It will be interesting to see how this works.  I am guessing that a ref will be assigned to a monitor for the lug nut issues, etc.
   mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Offline SoCalSaint

• Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 11:47:42 AM »
does someone have a link to this?????

Offline Section_725

• Star
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 06:30:47 PM »
Here is a link. NASCAR expects the number of pit road penalties to increase as the camera and software will pick up more than one person can see.

http://www.mrn.com/Race-Series/NASCAR-Sprint-Cup/News/Articles/2015/01/Answers-To-Your-Questions-About-New-Pit-Road-Camera-System.aspx

Offline Ben Rinaldi

• NASCAR Pick 3 Manager
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 06:50:59 PM »
It will be interesting to see how this works.  I am guessing that a ref will be assigned to a monitor for the lug nut issues, etc.

Glad you brought that up because NASCAR actually isn't going to monitor them this season.  It's basically up to the teams now and if they miss any, it's their risk.  There's also some talk that teams might go with only 3 instead of 5 to speed up pit stops late in races and things.

Offline Section_725

• Star
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 08:35:01 AM »
Going with 3 late in the race at a place like Bristol may be ok due to the lower speeds, but would be a huge mistake at the faster tracks.

Offline SoCalSaint

• Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 10:25:22 AM »
Going with 3 late in the race at a place like Bristol may be ok due to the lower speeds, but would be a huge mistake at the faster tracks.

But with only three lug nuts on, it's going to throw ALL 4 of those tires a little out of balance. That's not going to work.

My biggest fear is that this some how turns into an NFL style review that takes at least a couple of minutes to look at. Does the infraction have to be blatant or are they going to nit pick it to death??

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • 37 Ford
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 11:40:29 AM »
We have seen in the past when a lug nut was off a car and ignored, a crash usually ensues.  Now without the infraction will we see risk taken that may jeopardize lives, especially when we get to the last 5 races before the chase when a win is in or not.  Last but not least.  You can bet, And I will probably be guilty of this myself, the live broadcast will show a car, like the 24 driving through 4 or 5 pit stalls and no infractions will be called.

Last, I worry about how many extra caution laps will be run to sort out all the penalties.  This could slow the racing down especially towards the last of the race.  Be certain the number of GWC we will see will go up as NASCAR will find something wrong with a back marker to "Give us that exciting finish" 
car2   atl3 den1 arkansas1