Author Topic: Avatar Theme: SUPER BOWL QUARTERBACKS  (Read 3203 times)

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
Re: Avatar Theme: SUPER BOWL QUARTERBACKS
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
Neil O'Donnell

Much maligned by some Steelers fans for throwing two costly picks in Super Bowl XXX, but I think he's gotten a bad rap.  In fact the interception rate for his entire career was among the lowest in NFL history at 2.12 per 100 passes.

It was unfortunate he had his worst game at the worst time, but still this guy led the Steelers back to respectability along with Bill Cowher after some lean times in the late 80's.
If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline Cookie

• LNU's Favorite Snacky!
  • All Time Legend
  • Jamie the Vampurr
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:21 PM »
Neil O'Donnell

Much maligned by some Steelers fans for throwing two costly picks in Super Bowl XXX, but I think he's gotten a bad rap.  In fact the interception rate for his entire career was among the lowest in NFL history at 2.12 per 100 passes.

It was unfortunate he had his worst game at the worst time, but still this guy led the Steelers back to respectability along with Bill Cowher after some lean times in the late 80's.

great choice blitz

If you trust your rebel heart, ride it into battle
Don't be afraid, take the road less traveled
Wear out your boots and kick up the gravel
Don't be afraid, take the road less traveled on

Offline larry lava

• Star
  • RESPECT IS HUGE IN MY BOOKS
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 09:37:25 PM »
Neil O'Donnell

WOW..............surprise, surprise........... Blitz................good one.
Respect is huge in my books

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline Da Fan in Japan

• The Oracle o Osaka!
  • Hall of Famer
  • The NASA/JPL Juno mission to Jupiter
  • Pickems Record: 91-41
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 02:01:41 AM »
DF, I came <this close> to making the theme TOM BRADY, in honor of his phenomenal career and his amazing performance Sunday, but I thought that was a little too restricting, so I opened it up to all Super Bowl quarterbacks.

-I agree, Rock & it turned out well!

-It's a great photo gallery of the old greats. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
.....Football is over and I would vote for Da Fan in Japan.

Hello my friend LONG time no chat.......I hope all is well with you.

-Thanks Larry!

-Indeed, my good man it's been too long!  All's good on my end & I hope the same's true for you.

-I also hope we might some day actually run into each other here.

Erika Asanuma-Morrison 1976-2009  Show those you love how you truly feel- each moment with them is a precious gift.

Offline Skydawg

• Ayotolla of Rock n Rolla!
  • All Time Legend
  • Wizard of Oz
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 02:25:17 AM »
I started to go with Kenny the Snake, but I didn't want to steal Sky's avatar and make him cry, so I went this way . . .

Hey! Theres still plenty of other BAMA QBs who qualify.

Offline Skydawg

• Ayotolla of Rock n Rolla!
  • All Time Legend
  • Wizard of Oz
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 02:36:38 AM »

The Baltimore Colts were 18 point favorites in Super Bowl III. Undaunted, Jets quarterback Joe Namath made an appearance three days before the Super Bowl
at the Miami Touchdown Club and brashly guaranteed a victory.
His team backed up his words by controlling most of the game, and built a 16–0 lead through the fourth quarter off of a touchdown run by Matt Snell and three field goals by Jim Turner.
Colts quarterback Earl Morrall threw three interceptions before being replaced by Johnny Unitas, who then led Baltimore to its only touchdown during the last few minutes of the game.

Johnny Unitas was asked if he'd started the 2nd half, could he have led the Colts to victory? Unitas responded," I wouldn't have needed that much time."
I have always suspected this game was fixed. Think about Namaths involvement in organized gambling with later came to light.
Then theres the wide open primary receiver Jimmy Orr in the end zone, waving his arms at a oblivious Earl Morrell...etc...

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 07:28:18 AM »
Thanks Cookie, Larry..Neil played for the Titans a couple years too you remember?
If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »
Thanks Cookie, Larry..Neil played for the Titans a couple years too you remember?
Neil O'Donnell. One of my favorite non-cowboys players. Do you remember his favorite receiver?

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 07:34:29 AM »
Thanks for stopping by troll.  Now post your QB.  grin1

Jack Lambert

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
  • Pickems Record: 9999999-2
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 07:36:09 AM »
So when are you guys going to do "favorite basketball player on your favorite team"? grin1
All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 07:41:39 AM »
Thanks for stopping by troll.  Now post your QB.  grin1
Well....I don't see any Cowboys sooooooooooooooooooooo

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 07:41:57 AM »
I can't even name a current Orlando Magic player.  :p

Jack Lambert

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 07:43:59 AM »
So when are you guys going to do "favorite basketball player on your favorite team"? grin1

When the majority of posters on the thread are non white? LOL

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
  • Pickems Record: 9999999-2
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 07:45:56 AM »
When the majority of posters on the thread are non white? LOL

LOL. Could be a few decades. grin1
All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Offline Randy

• WAYLT Head Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • JEFF GORDON, 4-Time NASCAR Champion
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 08:28:32 AM »

When Peter invites you to his home for Christmas dinner.

Offline Coach

• Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Go Tigers Go
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 10:26:49 AM »

Super Bowl XXII
Redskins 42, Broncos 10
Jack Murphy Stadium
San Diego
Los Angeles
Sunday, Jan. 31, 1988

Doug Williams doesn't reminisce very often, but every now and again his thoughts return to Super Bowl XXII, when the Redskins quarterback reached for perfection--and found it in one glorious quarter.

"We scored 35 points in 18 plays--that's execution at its very best," Williams said, still marveling years later at the second-quarter dominance in the Redskins' 42-10 Super Bowl triumph over the Denver Broncos. "Offensively, we were in a zone. It didn't matter who we were playing, they weren't going to stop us."

It didn't start out that way, though. On Denver 's first play from scrimmage, Broncos quarterback John Elway connected with wide receiver Ricky Nattiel on a 56-yard touchdown pass. Later, Rich Karlis added a 24-yard field goal and just like that, the Broncos led 10-0.

Late in the first quarter, Williams suffered a "hyper-flexed" left knee while setting up in the pocket. He limped off the field and backup Jay Schroeder came in for two uneventful plays.

Williams took back the reins at the start of the second quarter--and the fireworks began. On play action, he threw an 80-yard touchdown pass to Ricky Sanders, who caught the ball around midfield and outraced cornerback Mark Haynes into the end zone. Four minutes later, Williams connected with Gary Clark on 27-yard scoring strike.

On the Redskins' next possession, rookie running back Timmy Smith broke free down the right sideline a 58-yard touchdown run. A few minutes later, Williams found Sanders again, this time on a 50-yard bomb. He closed the quarter with an 8-yard touchdown pass to tight end Clint Didier.

It was a breathtaking display. Overall, Williams completed 18-of-29 passes for 340 yards and those four second-quarter touchdowns. Smith closed out the scoring with a 4-yard run in the fourth quarter, but Williams--the first African-American quarterback to start a Super Bowl--was the obvious choice for most valuable player.

The rest of the offense seemed to feed off of Williams' remarkable precision, as the unit compiled 602 total yards to go along with the six touchdowns. Smith stunned everybody by rushing for a Super Bowl record 204 yards on 22 carries. Sanders finished the game with nine catches for 193 yards.

Defensively, the Redskins pressured Elway repeatedly, with safety Alvin Walton leading the way with two of the team's five sacks. Barry Wilburn had two of the Redskins' three interceptions; Brian Davis had the other.

But the spotlight was brightest on Williams.

Said head coach Joe Gibbs: "Doug wound up being the right man in the right place. You have a guy who played great when he first came out of college, went to the USFL, turned around and became a backup, then comes all the way back and is MVP in the Super Bowl. That's one of the great stories in sports history."
duke1 memphis1  wsh1  wsh2  bal3

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2015, 11:12:34 AM »

Larry..Neil played for the Titans a couple years too you remember?

Yes Blitz I do remember...........I think it was 10 years ago and he only played in one game for the Titans.......and he won......lol

But the spotlight was brightest on Williams.

Good choice Coach...........I believe Williams is the only African American QB to win the Super Bowl ???

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 11:20:37 AM »
Good choice Coach...........I believe Williams is the only African American QB to win the Super Bowl ???

I guess that Russell Wilson doesn't count because he is just mostly African American?
   mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
OOOPPPSSS......thanks Jedi......I honestly thought Russell Wilson was Native Indian.

My bad and sorry ............thanks for updating that.

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2015, 11:24:21 AM »
I went with my guy from "Oakland" Mr. Kenny Stabler
nym3 nyg1 notredame1 nyr2

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2015, 11:25:45 AM »
Hi FORE.................nice Avi Elaine..............lol

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 11:26:57 AM »
 heart1 Hello Larry 

nym3 nyg1 notredame1 nyr2

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 11:28:19 AM »
I guess that Russell Wilson doesn't count because he is just mostly African American?
Us white people are just confused, and with good cause. We've never encountered an African American that says "asked" instead of "axed". 

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2015, 11:30:34 AM »
Us white people are just confused, and with good cause. We've never encountered an African American that says "asked" instead of "axed". 

haha1

Why do think he was so popular at Wisconsin?
   mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2015, 11:30:38 AM »
Sith........where is QB ???........you have till Monday Morning.

ten1   van2   wsh3