Author Topic: Best Daytona Moments on nascar.com  (Read 179 times)

Online Section_725

• Star
  • Try Not! Do! Or Do Not! There Is No Try!
Best Daytona Moments on nascar.com
« on: February 08, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »
Saw this link on FB that took you to nascar.com where you can vote for your favorite Daytona 500 moments in a field of 16 tournament type thing. Some good choices, but then I saw 2013 Patrick wins Coors Light Pole. I am not knocking Danica in any way, but this does not belong on a list of great Daytona 500 moments.

It's also a contest where you can win tickets to the 2016 Daytona 500.

http://daytonamoments.nascar.com/refresh_from_iframe
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Offline SoCalSaint

• Board Mod
  • Star
Re: Best Daytona Moments on nascar.com
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 06:50:15 PM »
They left one of the most memorable ones out. Derik Cope ??? His car seemed to handle best when he was behind Dale Earnhart. So, he found the #3 and just did whatever Dale did. Go high, go low, pit. He just stuck to the rear bumper and was content to stay there. With a lap or two to go, someone blew a transmission, (Rudd??) Earnhart ran over a piece of the bell housing and cut a tire, Cope goes around him for the only win of his career. Was never an Earnhart fan but, that was kinda gut wrenching to watch.

Online Section_725

• Star
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 08:39:42 AM »
Seriously, Danica winning a pole moves on? Bunch of idiots voting in this thing.

My personal favorite was Dale Sr. winning it in 1988, but I am a little biased. Followed by 1993 Dale and Dale show, 2007 Harvicks close call (again a little biased), and 1979 Yarborough and Allison brawl, even though I wasn't into racing then as an 8 year old, it is one of the events that put NASCAR on the national stage and started the growth in the 80's.
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Online Section_725

• Star
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:51:51 AM »
Forgot to add, not on the list Dale Sr. finishing the race in 1997 in a completely wrecked car.

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • 37 Ford
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 09:29:23 PM »
What is unfortunate is a race that should have been in the hunt will never be because of what happened to Senior and that Was Michael Waltrip breaking his 462 race without a win streak.  I think everyone in he racing world was rooting for him on that last lap and listening to DW bring him home was awesome.  But then Dale died in the wreck and Michaels win was forever hushed in the racing world.  What people forget is the crews lined up on Pit Road for Mikey just like they did for Dale.  It's just too bad NASCAR and the racing world cannot allow the triumph that Michael achieved to be spoken about in a favorable manner.   
car2 atl3 den1 arkansas1

Online Section_725

• Star
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 07:45:57 AM »
Totally agree mikey. I was so happy for Michael when he won the race, but my day turned completely sour a few hours later when I was flipping through channels and CNN had "Dale Earnhardt is Dead" as the big headline.
I think breaking a 462 race winless streak is a much bigger moment than Danica getting a pole. (OK, worded that way Danica totally trumps Waltrip)

Offline hanjonquinangelz

• Veteran
  • NGS is the Best
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 10:23:05 AM »
http://whig.autoracing.upickem.net/

I have formed a group

NGS Racing
2015 is password