Author Topic: Draft Talk  (Read 7059 times)

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
Re: Draft Talk
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 10:07:16 AM »
I'm starting to see why AD and Harvin were such good friends, eh Hutch? Just don't trade AD to a Super Bowl team. Put him in Tennessee.

Back to draft talk, get David Cobb in the third round. Coming from Minnesota, that will help SOME of the fan base that didn't want to see AD leave this team. He and McKinnon will form a great tandem and with Bridgewater, the Vikings entire backfield is *hopefully* set for the next seven seasons.

Use AD's salary cap space to get Iupati. He's going to help Kalil and the backs running behind him. Then a receiver in the first, Cobb in the third, a late round QB, and lots of defense for Zimmer to mold.

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 11:37:46 AM »
I'm starting to see why AD and Harvin were such good friends, eh Hutch? Just don't trade AD to a Super Bowl team. Put him in Tennessee.

Back to draft talk, get David Cobb in the third round. Coming from Minnesota, that will help SOME of the fan base that didn't want to see AD leave this team. He and McKinnon will form a great tandem and with Bridgewater, the Vikings entire backfield is *hopefully* set for the next seven seasons.

Use AD's salary cap space to get Iupati. He's going to help Kalil and the backs running behind him. Then a receiver in the first, Cobb in the third, a late round QB, and lots of defense for Zimmer to mold.

Now that was just mean picking on my boy Harvin VeN :).......If AD does leave I'm hoping they trade back into the first and get Gorden. He's the ideal RB for our system and has home run ability in the run and passing game. For what we would save in cap we could add Iupati and Maualuga and still have money left over. Trade back in the first round to take Shaq (unless White is there at 11) and now we have our LB core set, our run game set and an improved O-Line.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 12:01:25 PM »
Trade him to the Browns so he can see what a dysfunctional organization is like. If he is going to piss and moan about how the Vikings treated him, then I really hope he doesn't end up in Dallas next season. Just be on a miserable team with no shot for the last five years of your career. 

I can't agree more. I was going to post to see if anyone read his comments.  They immediately reinstated him, granted reeled back (But as he said, it's a business) after losing investors. Then the LEAGUE had their way with him.  Then he just blabbers almost incoherently.  "I love the fans, lots supported me through out, but I can't be loyal to them beacuse it's a business"  Wow. 

Add the Raiders to a team we can trade him to.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 12:07:21 PM »
I paraphrased that comment.  But it's all there.  He basically is upset he didn't have 100% support even though the team couldn't do anything when the league was doing their thing.  Then acknowledges it's a business.  Tells he would love to come back, but then said he didn't have full support, then pisses on the fans and said can't get caught up with loyatly because its a business.  What in the actual F*** is he trying to say.  First he wants loyalty from the team, but then he says you can't get caught up in loyalty because its a business.  Is AP just dumb?
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 12:15:28 PM »
The entire deal with AP is larger than simply AP and the Vikings. Peterson was put on the exempt list last year because of the NFL and the protection of the brand. The timing of his ordeal and Ray Rice's incident, along with the Hardy case forced the NFL to act. The Vikings sponsors then put pressure on the club with it's threat of pulling out of sponsorship dollars...

There's really only 1 question to ask here and that is. Moving forward, does AP make the Minnesota Vikings a better team, a playoff team? Without him I would say absolutely not! Everyone knows that AP's cap number is astronomical. The fact is the Vikings set up this deal with AP as the face of the franchise. The emergence of Teddy Bridgewater has lifted fans hopes for a franchise QB in place and several talented pieces around him.

I'd ask you to look at statistics of the other good players on offense playing for the team with AP and without him. Paterson had 1 good game last year and a few at the end of the year prior.. AP was in the line up. Kalil had his issues. I believe the were directly related to NOT having AP in the backfield. Why you ask? Because the threat of a huge run was taken from the offense and allowed the opposing defenses to simply run blitz and meet at the QB. What we haven't seen is what Teddy can do with that focal point. The chance for single high safety coverage pretty much on an unlimited basis. Hell, even Charlie Johnson was half ass decent when AP was in the backfield. What the Vikings can't do here is throw the baby out with the bath water.

I know AP's 30 now. I also realize that his production will start to taper off, but all you have to do is look at what Seattle was able to do with Lynch, and a great defense. Sure the Vikings still have talent issues on that side of the ball, but if last years indication of improvement was anything it shows that this team is not that far away from competing for an NFC title. Pay AP his money and should he NOT be able to be his former self they can unload him next year. I'm looking for another 2009 type playoff run and the Vikings can only accomplish this with AP in the backfield THIS YEAR...
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2015, 12:26:09 PM »
There's really only 1 question to ask here and that is. Moving forward, does AP make the Minnesota Vikings a better team, a playoff team? Without him I would say absolutely not! Everyone knows that AP's cap number is astronomical. The fact is the Vikings set up this deal with AP as the face of the franchise. The emergence of Teddy Bridgewater has lifted fans hopes for a franchise QB in place and several talented pieces around him.

He does, but we were hoping to rework his contract so we could bring in more talent to help and from this, it sounds like there is no chance.  He deliberatly opened the door, hoping the Front Office pushes him out.  That's how it sounds to me.   Regardless of how the Fans either supported him through out or were on the bandwagon of hoping he would return because he could make this team better.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »
The entire deal with AP is larger than simply AP and the Vikings. Peterson was put on the exempt list last year because of the NFL and the protection of the brand. The timing of his ordeal and Ray Rice's incident, along with the Hardy case forced the NFL to act. The Vikings sponsors then put pressure on the club with it's threat of pulling out of sponsorship dollars...

This is why his comments are so dumb.  He wanted full support, felt like he didn't get it.  But knows it's a business, then said he can get caught up in loyalty because it's a business.  Makes no sense.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
This is why his comments are so dumb.  He wanted full support, felt like he didn't get it.  But knows it's a business, then said he can get caught up in loyalty because it's a business.  Makes no sense.

Simmion, I think it's that the Vikings put the league 1st. The media in Minnesota tried to dig up more chit. I'm sure that leaves a bitter taste in ones mouth. AP has never been the most loquacious player. Sounds like Emmit Smith more often than not. I always wonder why people that speak horribly do interviews. Then again Marshawn Lynch just shut up after the media continued to play off his less than eloquent speech.

I'd hope AP just doesn't speak anymore until the judge rules. Until then I hope the Vikings pay him and move on with what could be a great rebirth for the Vikings organization.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:01:37 PM by kokomodan »

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 01:14:34 PM »
Simmion, I think it's that the Vikings put the league 1st. The media in Minnesota tried to dig up more chit. I'm sure that leaves a bitter taste in ones mouth.

Vikes definietly put themselves first for however it was better for them since the situation gathered so much attention and negative attention.  Every team in any sport would do the same thing. AP has done great things for the Vikings and made them look good.  But he has also brought negative attention to them.  (Like the Slavery comment). More good than bad, I admit.  But me personally, don't feel this situation was one where the Vikings should have been obligated to have his back with no exceptions.  Tough spot to be in if you are the FO of the Vikings.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2015, 01:45:29 PM »
I think the bigger question is can the Vikings be a better team without Peterson ? most definitely yes. This is about being a better team......Lets just say a team will give the Vikings a 2nd round pick for AD which is more than realistic with a number of teams reported as showing interest. You lose AD but gain a 2nd round pick and additional 13 million in cap space. You are not going to get a RB in FA like Peterson but as I mentioned above and a player we all have talked about we can use that cap to get Iupati and Maualuga and you'd still have cap space to spare. Take your 3rd round pick and add it with the 2nd you just received and move back into first for Gorden. Gorden may be a rookie but he will force defenses to put an extra defender in the box.

Lose                                             Add

Peterson                                       Iupati
                                                                   3rd round pick                                Maualuga
                                                                                                                        Gorden
                                                                                                                        3 million left in cap space from AD(appox)
Now we can use a variety of players for AD's cap number but with the ones listed above are we a better team without AD?   Heck ya....we have a much better chance of being successful this year and beyond in this example. The fact there will be so many more players being released who knows what that extra cap amount can do. What is really nice is we still will have a lot of money to carry forward once Chad, Jennings contracts are redone or released and that will be able to be used for resigning guys like Smith and others down the road.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2015, 01:54:15 PM »
Here is how I see this playing out....3 ways... once AD is reinstated.....The Vikings find a team that is willing to give them the pick they desire. They then give that team and AD's agent permission to try and work out a deal for a trade (contract wise). The second way is if AD doesn't want to play nice and trys to dictate too much in how things will go you just say screw it, pay his salary for this year and force him to play for the Vikings. There is a 3rd way and that is if you find a team that will give you the pick you want and will take his contract as is ( Jets, Raiders, Buc, Jags, Colts all can easily do that cap wise) then just ship him off.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2015, 02:34:18 PM »
I think the bigger question is can the Vikings be a better team without Peterson ? most definitely yes. This is about being a better team......Lets just say a team will give the Vikings a 2nd round pick for AD which is more than realistic with a number of teams reported as showing interest.                                                                   

That's absolutely subjective. What team will give up a 2nd rounder and take on that contract? The only team that will pay that much is the Vikings. That's because he's under contract...Dallas the most likely suitor won't give $8 million for their own RB, not to mention what they will pay Dez and Romo this year. Add another $15 million to that for AP. That would mean that Dallas would be playing for this year only to win the Super Bowl, and then be back in Cap prison, something they recently went thru, again.

The what if game doesn't work right now, because of the situation playing out in the courts. Kind of like a mock draft when the team hasn't already went thru free agency. It's a futile exam. Like picking the schedule at this time by simply looking at the schedule and how the team played last year. The liquidity of the situation has to be taken into any argument...

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2015, 02:37:18 PM »
Any team that would take AP is one that sees their chances of a Super Bowl by taking him. They have to be 1 player away. That's not the Jets or those other teams with the exception of maybe the Colts, but Luck will get like $22 million this year as well...

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2015, 02:38:36 PM »
Once the court case is over and Free Agency has exploded, only then will we get a clearer picture of the Vikings future...

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2015, 03:21:05 PM »
That's absolutely subjective. What team will give up a 2nd rounder and take on that contract? The only team that will pay that much is the Vikings. That's because he's under contract...Dallas the most likely suitor won't give $8 million for their own RB, not to mention what they will pay Dez and Romo this year. Add another $15 million to that for AP. That would mean that Dallas would be playing for this year only to win the Super Bowl, and then be back in Cap prison, something they recently went thru, again.

The what if game doesn't work right now, because of the situation playing out in the courts. Kind of like a mock draft when the team hasn't already went thru free agency. It's a futile exam. Like picking the schedule at this time by simply looking at the schedule and how the team played last year. The liquidity of the situation has to be taken into any argument...

There are a few teams that I mentioned that are more than capable of picking up that contract and a few that are under the min amount and have to spend money. AD's contract has no guarantee money left and that's the attractive part to another team. The Colts have more than enough money to spend and have been trying to get that RB to help out Luck.  There are many "what ifs" and that's what this is all about ...what if this happens or that happens...the whole point is the team can be a better team and IMO much better without Peterson because of what you can do with his current cap number. The team can also be a better team with him that they were last year.... The Vikings can win in both scenarios ....personally I just think they can be further a head as a team without him if they can get a decent pick and a 2nd is more than reasonable if you feel he has 3 solid years left. He obviously, by his remarks, would prefer to be traded.....I'm just saying if they do it has to be worth while and IMO it will as they do hold the cards on this one, not Peterson...just my opinion.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2015, 03:25:30 PM »
Any team that would take AP is one that sees their chances of a Super Bowl by taking him. They have to be 1 player away. That's not the Jets or those other teams with the exception of maybe the Colts, but Luck will get like $22 million this year as well...

I would disagree as some teams have to spend money and it's also about marketing which the Jets and jags, bucs and so on need and have the money to do just that.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2015, 05:05:31 PM »
On a side note....My wife and her mother and brother went to Vegas today. I arranged for them to stay at the Mirage and guess who is there signing autographs?  Gale Sayer........I'm so jealous, my wife is talking to him right now.

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2015, 05:09:34 PM »
On a side note....My wife and her mother and brother went to Vegas today. I arranged for them to stay at the Mirage and guess who is there signing autographs?  Gale Sayer........I'm so jealous, my wife is talking to him right now.
When we went to Vegas in Nov. we stayed at Mandalay and Pete Rose was there. He was coming up the stairs and I said " hi pete". He looked up then quickly looked back down because people were there with their phones out.
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2015, 05:15:19 PM »
Even though I wouldn't put it past Dallas.......that will not happen. I could see a incentive laden contract for AP. Dallas will work on the premiss that AP wants to come to Dallas and it would be an attractive place for him to come because they are contenders, but they won't break the bank to get him. That's even assuming that Dallas restructures Clabourne and Carr's contracts
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »
When we went to Vegas in Nov. we stayed at Mandalay and Pete Rose was there. He was coming up the stairs and I said " hi pete". He looked up then quickly looked back down because people were there with their phones out.

Pete Rose.....that's a name you don't a lot of anymore.....did you ask him if he still bets on baseball :)   ok that' wasn't funny.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 05:34:56 PM »
Even though I wouldn't put it past Dallas.......that will not happen. I could see a incentive laden contract for AP. Dallas will work on the premiss that AP wants to come to Dallas and it would be an attractive place for him to come because they are contenders, but they won't break the bank to get him. That's even assuming that Dallas restructures Clabourne and Carr's contracts

I think we all agree the only way Dallas even entertains the idea is if AD redoes that contract because he wants to be a Cowboy. One thing that does make it tough is Dallas is in the NFC and we play them this year so I think the Vikings would prefer to trade him else where if possible....it would have to be a great draft pick for Dallas to get him IMO.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »
My bad...it's next year the Vikings play the Cowboys   ...that said I think they would prefer him in the AFC.

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
Pete Rose.....that's a name you don't a lot of anymore.....did you ask him if he still bets on baseball :)   ok that' wasn't funny.
He didn't even want to give my oldest son the time of day. He seemed like a stuck up, full of himself jackass.

But....in his defense......this is a daily occurrence in his life and it's been going on for years so even though it is a once in a life time experiance for us, it's a annoying pain in the ass for him.

I re3member meeting Guidry when he was on a rehab assignment with the Albany Colonie Yankees. I was quite young at the time........probably 13......and asked him to sign a ball. I was a huge fan of him.

Well.....he was probably the biggest douchebag I ever met in my life. I hated him for years after that, but understand it now. 

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 06:51:33 PM »
It's too bad some of these atheletes are that way but like you said they go through this everyday, still they can be polite. I was in Vegas back in the 90's and I was dancing at club RIO with a group of people we just meet. I look beside me and said man I know this guy and his girl friend was smoking hot....all of the sudden I realize it's Eddie Murphy and he's dancing right beside me. He was great and once people realized who he was he just walked off with his girl friend (and his big body gaurds) but he acknowledged me and the people we were with. We just said hi and told him we were fans of his work...he smiled said thanks and off he went. By that time he was getting surrounded by about 50-60 people so understood why he left.  One of the guys we were with was up late playing black jack with James Cain...funny thing was my buddy was the only one at the table that knew who he was....he said he was as down to earth as you can get and they talked for hours.

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 07:17:37 PM »
 They just want to be treated normal. Just like anyone else. They don't want to stand out. I can understand it and they do appreciate a person that knows who they are but treats them as just another guy.

Now for you dancing with Eddie...................I could only imagine...........

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.