Author Topic: Vikings Draft Talk...  (Read 10825 times)

Offline Hutch

• Star
  • I'm over Harvin now that we have Diggs
Re: Draft Talk
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 08:51:01 PM »
They just want to be treated normal. Just like anyone else. They don't want to stand out. I can understand it and they do appreciate a person that knows who they are but treats them as just another guy.

Now for you dancing with Eddie...................I could only imagine...........

That's funny.....I was dancing with a girl I met at the club. Beside me was Eddie and his girl friend. It was so funny as I forgot how small Eddie is ..about 5' 7" or so. His girl friend at the time was over 6' so it looked weird. The seating area is tiered and we didn't even realize his group was just above us...it was dark so that's my excuse. My buddy got a chuckle out of him, as they were leaving he shouted nice shades and Eddie stopped looked back, lifted his shades and smiled. He was the only one with shades on in the place and they were pretty cool.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2015, 12:45:04 PM »
So much for Kevin White making it to 11......the guy is a big tough wideout that just ran a 4.35 ........Someone is getting a beast.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2015, 05:36:47 PM »
He stole the show at the combine.  The kid tore that bastard up.  Amari Cooper is looking good at 11.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2015, 08:45:54 PM »
He stole the show at the combine.  The kid tore that bastard up.  Amari Cooper is looking good at 11.

They were talking about Cooper and I guess the kid is as focused and driven as you can get......as far as attitude and work ethic it's as good as it gets. It would real nice if either of those two are there but I somehow doubt it. I think you'd have to jump the Rams at 10 to get one. Here is hoping, personally I'd rather have White but Cooper is a close second. There are a couple real good fits for us....one of those WR's , Shaq as a safety/LB or either Gordon or Gurley if AD is gone. If we can find a way to get 2 of those 3 I'd be one happy camper.

Offline 1hotchev

• Veteran
  • God loves a workin Man
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2015, 09:03:50 PM »
I would hope we pick the best defensive player left on the Vikings big board, but there has been talk of a WR lately, what about Parker? how did he roll with Teddy? maybe he would be a great fit.
PAGE NAMED NFLS MVP — In 1971 Alan Page became the first defensive player to be named the Most Valuable Player of the National Football League by the Associated Press. Page headed a Vikings defense that held opponents to fewer than 10 points a game.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2015, 09:06:55 AM »
Have to say, love the timing of all the AD crap going on lol........The Vikings go all out saying they want AD back and then AD leaks he want s to be traded and prefers the Cowboys and WOW...this all happens just prior to combine where all the owners, GM's get together and chat about everything. It's like the Vikings and Peterson had the whole thing scripted......Peterson wanting to move on and the Vikings saying it's gonna cost you if you want him. AD's agent and people around AD can leak things out and this is a nice way of not violating the current situation but I guarantee you the Vikings brass now know exactly who is interested and how seriously that interest is. We won't hear any of this stuff but the ground work for compensation is already being set and negotiated well in advance of AD's reinstatement. It'll be easier if AD is reinstated sooner but realistically most of this can be negotiated behind the scenes with a lot of what ifs form all sides.  Can't wait to see the outcome.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2015, 01:08:17 PM »
Have to say, love the timing of all the AD crap going on lol........The Vikings go all out saying they want AD back and then AD leaks he want s to be traded and prefers the Cowboys and WOW...this all happens just prior to combine where all the owners, GM's get together and chat about everything. It's like the Vikings and Peterson had the whole thing scripted......Peterson wanting to move on and the Vikings saying it's gonna cost you if you want him. AD's agent and people around AD can leak things out and this is a nice way of not violating the current situation but I guarantee you the Vikings brass now know exactly who is interested and how seriously that interest is. We won't hear any of this stuff but the ground work for compensation is already being set and negotiated well in advance of AD's reinstatement. It'll be easier if AD is reinstated sooner but realistically most of this can be negotiated behind the scenes with a lot of what ifs form all sides.  Can't wait to see the outcome.

That would be brilliant.
You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down every one.  Heh, come to think of it.  I've never landed a plane in my life.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2015, 02:25:48 PM »
Well.....the latest report and this is from Locanfora so it's safe to say it legit. I guess Petersons agent and Rob Brzezinski got into a very heated argument at the combine and had to be separated. Petersons agent wants AD released and said there is no way he will ever play another down for the Vikings.

Vikings do hold the cards on this and I hope they hold to their guns but it looks like it's going to get real ugly. it looks like ne way or another Peterson will be gone lets just hope the Vikings can get something decent in return. After this incident it will be tough.

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
Losing respect by the second.  If it's true, it screams like a ploy to get what you want.  Like a toddler throwing a tantrum.  Funny irony of the whole situation.  This is just a joke.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2015, 03:09:45 PM »
Losing respect by the second.  If it's true, it screams like a ploy to get what you want.  Like a toddler throwing a tantrum.  Funny irony of the whole situation.  This is just a joke.

It is a joke.....I for one will be so glad when he is gone. I guess it was pretty heated and an exec from Tampa had to separate them saying it was close to getting physical. In the open where a number of people witnessed it too.

I've wanted him gone for years as you know and now I just want the Vikings to stick it to him and get as much as possible. That one report said the Red Skins are interested but I can't see the Vikings letting him stay in the NFC......say hello to Indy, the jags, jets, chargers or whatever team will give the Vikings something decent in trade

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2015, 04:09:06 PM »
I kinda hope he gets the Carson Palmer treatment. Does anyone remember how that plays out with the salary cap? If the Vikings refuse to cut or trade him, and he refuses to play, would that free up his cap space maybe in 2016?

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »
Thats a good question.  If he refuses to play, I would like to think he is "voiding" the contract, and that number shouldn't count against us.  But then again, he would be on the 53 man roster, so maybe it would.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2015, 04:48:19 PM »
I think if he refuses to play the team has remedies which are written into the CBA. From what I gather he would not get paid and be fined. I believe from past experiences the teams have safe guards against a player holding them hostage hence why you never see it happening.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2015, 04:58:16 PM »
On a draft note.....Zimmer and Spielman had a formal meeting with Shaq T. at the combine. Even though teams have him listed as a safety he considers himself a LB. I like the kid on what he can bring especially for coverage on big TE's but not at 11 as that's way too high. He's a tweener safety/LB but not elite at either one so still a project. He's a 2nd round pick at best IMO but I do want him.

There are some real beasts on defense. here is hoping we have a huge run early on those DE/ rushing LB and maybe White or Cooper fall to us.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2015, 10:18:19 AM »
This whole fiasco is maddening. The Vikings are laying the ground work to make AP look like the bad guy here fellas. Everyone is saying what needs to be said via the front office. Here's where I'll ask you to think about this for a second. It's no secret the Vikings are wanting AP to take a reduction in salary, right? The front office says they want AP back. Well then why try to force the former face of the franchise to take a pay cut if you truly want him back? The Vikings have the luxury of NOT have to pay a franchise QB at this time. The CBA says the team has to pay a certain percentage of the cap regardless of the teams situation. Pay Him!...

They are gonna have to anyway, or release him with ZERO compensation. Trade value is not even in question because the teams only 1 player away DON"T have cap room. What rebuilding team would throw away their future to take on the huge salary of an aging RB?...What AP is doing is playing hardball with the team that played hardball with him last season. The Vikings are spinning this to make AP seem like he's NOT a team player, questioning his loyalty. Well, where was the loyalty to AP after the conclusion of the court dealings? Warren toed the NFL's line. That's his job, and he was rewarded by taking the hit. This saved the rest of the front office all the way to the owners, by Warren falling on the sword...

The Vikings were a homerun hitting RB away form the playoffs last season. They will undoubtedly get better pieces to move forward this season through the draft and free agency. Sometimes a team just can't help, but to keep screwing up. See the Browns, Raiders, etc...I don't want the Vikings mentioned in the same breath and that's what seems to be happening in Vikingland right now...Why is it so hard to see this? Keeping AP another year at his salary doesn't harm the Vikings. They are under the cap, and certain to create more money with the release/restructure of Greenways contract. The outright release of Charlie Johnson, and few other cost cutting releases.

It's all about the money guys. The NFL's money to be more specific!
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2015, 11:53:57 AM »
I respect your opinion on this Koko but do you really think it's about the money?  I thinks it's more about pride and ego and not just his but his wifes  is playing a huge part in this. The Vikings have done nothing wrong on this they did what any team would have done in that situation. I think the bigger think that has affected AD and his family isn't so much what the team has done but what the media and the people of Minnesota have done and he's feeling betrayed by them. Prior to this AD had done a lot for the community and was an idol to so many in Minnesota. His wife could be in public and it would be it's AD's wife in a very positive way. Now she is getting the same thing but in a very negative way because of her husbands actions. I don't think this can be fixed because IMO Peterson or his wife are not going to forgive the people of Minnesota for what they feel is being betrayed and no amount of money is going to fix that. The Vikings could very easily pay AD and force him to play and that may end up happening. Personally I don't see it and believe this is beyond repair. I also don't agre only a team a player away would be interested in AD.....the Colts are that team and they may go after him but there are teams out there that have the cap space and lots of it, that have a young QB that they need to take some pressure off AD can be that perfect fit for them. Time will tell regardless but I think its time to realize AD isn't coming back and we will be moving one one way or another.......right or wrong to AD and his family it's about pride and respect and no matter which side you are on that one is done.

Offline VeN 1473

• Backup
  • I do what I do
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2015, 01:42:30 PM »
This decision has very little to do with money. The Vikings would take him back and pay him his full salary. Like you said, they're not paying Bridgewater much. The combination of Favre and Peterson was similar to these two in salary for the backfield.

Not to mention, this organization, ownership, and front office has never been afraid to pay their guys. Favre made more each season than Peterson will. Jared Allen made more his final season, maybe the second to last too, than Peterson is scheduled to make. Paying Allen in his final year made sense because the Vikings were coming off a playoff appearance. The Vikings aren't afraid or unwilling to pay Peterson his full salary next season.

And if the Vikings are laying the groundwork for AD to be the bad guy, he is the one supplying them with all the tools and materials needed for the job. 

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2015, 05:58:51 PM »
This whole fiasco is maddening. The Vikings are laying the ground work to make AP look like the bad guy here fellas. Everyone is saying what needs to be said via the front office. Here's where I'll ask you to think about this for a second. It's no secret the Vikings are wanting AP to take a reduction in salary, right? The front office says they want AP back. Well then why try to force the former face of the franchise to take a pay cut if you truly want him back? The Vikings have the luxury of NOT have to pay a franchise QB at this time. The CBA says the team has to pay a certain percentage of the cap regardless of the teams situation. Pay Him!...

While I would be OK with paying him his full salary next year because I do like his talent on this team, just not his doucheness.  Every freaking team goes through this with their top paid player at some point in their career to help the team.  "Hey, look.  You know we could sign a guy that could help you achieve greatness on this team next year like Iupati if we could re-work your deal so incorporate a bonus or whatever."  Now, it is no secret we want him to rework his deal so we can do stuff like this.  Maybe "paycut" is thrown around too liberally and we all automatically think the Vikings are asking him to just give money back. (which they may have that right after putting him on the exempt list for so long). 

I want AP gone to the worst team in the league IF what is said is true.  We have APs Dad starting to do damage control.  But what agent would almost get to fists saying. "AP will NEVER play for the Vikings again." if your client doesn't want the hell out of here at any cost.

This is a tweet from Ben Leber about Rob Brzezinski, Vice Prez of operations the guy the agent got into the altercation with.

Ben Leber
‏@nacholeber
Rob Brzezinski is one of most respected and level headed executives w/ #Vikings. Guessing Dogra provoked fight. Trade coming. #AP

And Ben Leber is one of the most well rounded individual I have listened to talk.  Zimmer is about wins, and wants the best players regardless.  AP is fueling this nonsense... if what is being written is true.  And I just don't respect that.

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2015, 08:20:03 AM »
Put yourself in AP's position. You are under contract. The incident with his son takes center stage. You are now assured by a senior VP in the NFL that as soon as the deal is settled you will be back. The Vikings are also aware of what has been told to AP. You try and get back to where you need to be to play, then because of pressure from another court case all together causes the NFL to piss backwards on the entire deal already told to you. Not only does that happen, but Kevin Warren the man responsible for doling out the Vikings side of it doesn't have your back in this. He quietly sides with the wishes of the NFL, even though what the NFL is doing here is trying to set precedent moving forward with part of the CBA that the players NEVER bargained for. The owners arbitrarily put in a new rule without regard to the players.

Meanwhile back in Minnesota the guy that was center stage in seeing that you didn't get back in the league last year is promoted. While the appeals drags though the court system plenty of jaw boning has occurred. Since AP can't talk with the Vikings because of his suspension that leaves 1 alternative. For the Vikings to go through his agent. Bill Polian said that this type of stuff happens all the time. Not that I don't hold Ben Leber in high esteem, but I'd take Polian, and Pat Kirwin's take on this type of thing before Ben Leber's.

What I see happening here is the Vikings losing their grip, especially if AP is reinstated prior to the start of free agency. 1st off they have him under contract. NFL teams aren't going to just wait for AP. They will move on with the direction of their franchise. Should the Judge delay reinstatement the rest of the NFL will move on, and AP will have limited options afterword.

I'd hate for my employer, whom I've given my all for, to not stand behind me when I needed them the most. To simply turn their back, like the Vikings have in this situation would piss me right off too. The players and coaches aren't the problem. It resides in the management of the team. A similar situation is playing out in Carolina with their RB Stewart. His mother passes and the only person that attends the service is a guy that's suspended from the team. Talk about loyalty! I see it as low class in both regards. The Vikings and the NFL are simply trying to cover their lying asses. Deflect the real story and spin AP as the bad guy here. I mean look at what he did with his son. What a monster! Now his credibility is shot, so who do you believe? By the way buy your NFL gear on line and save money...
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2015, 09:22:25 AM »
We are all fans of the game and our team and the players on it. Peterson has been one of the most popular players in Viking history. At the end of the day we all know this is a business and what happened to Favre in Green Bay tells you it can happen to anyone. For a moment forget what AD did to his son, he more than likely would have been asked to redo his contract regardless of this other mess. 2014 was supposed to be the year the Vikings were supposed to see how AD fit into this new offense and what his new value what be to the team. Peterson beating his son in an ILLEGAL/CRIMINAL manner screwed the team, that process and as you put it Koko a possible play off spot....All because of his violent issues with his kid. You know who I think should and does feel betrayed?  The fans and this team.....they were ones that were let down and betrayed. Petersons criminal actions caused all this...without those who knows none of this happens. Lets stop putting the blame with the teams execs or the league...almost all of the blame rests with Peterson..period.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2015, 11:38:38 AM »
This decision has very little to do with money. The Vikings would take him back and pay him his full salary. Like you said, they're not paying Bridgewater much. The combination of Favre and Peterson was similar to these two in salary for the backfield.

Not to mention, this organization, ownership, and front office has never been afraid to pay their guys. Favre made more each season than Peterson will. Jared Allen made more his final season, maybe the second to last too, than Peterson is scheduled to make. Paying Allen in his final year made sense because the Vikings were coming off a playoff appearance. The Vikings aren't afraid or unwilling to pay Peterson his full salary next season.

And if the Vikings are laying the groundwork for AD to be the bad guy, he is the one supplying them with all the tools and materials needed for the job. 
I completely agree with you iVen! AD can stop all of this if he simply says I am under contract. I know I messed up last year and I want to move forward and learn from my past mistakes. At this point everything is thrown back on the Vikings. They can then live with the current contract and move on or they can come back and say we want you to re-negotiate your contract here is what we are willing to offer. In any case the best thing AD can do right now is man up and stop talking about his perceived mis-treatment. Let's face it any of us would love to make the kind of money these players are getting and if we did the kind of things they have done we would be in jail. If he keeps his mouth shut and does what he should it forces the Vikings to put their cards on the table leaving the onus on them to admit what they really want.
min1 stl3

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »
They say the Judge should rule within 30 days of the initial court date...this they say is the norm.....March 6th should be a month so hopefully we finally have an answer in a 9 days about Peterson and his reinstatement.

Offline BtlsFan

• Starter
  • I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane!
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2015, 01:49:49 PM »
Thanks for the info Hutch! I hope he rules favorably.
min1 stl3

Offline Simmion

• Star
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2015, 03:25:47 PM »
but Kevin Warren the man responsible for doling out the Vikings side of it doesn't have your back in this. He quietly sides with the wishes of the NFL, even though what the NFL is doing here is trying to set precedent moving forward with part of the CBA that the players NEVER bargained for. The owners arbitrarily put in a new rule without regard to the players.

This I can see his point.  What you are saying that the Vikings could have asked the league what the hell is taking so long why are you making it up as you go. Instead they let the process go unattested.

Offline Hutch

• Star
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2015, 05:51:13 PM »
This I can see his point.  What you are saying that the Vikings could have asked the league what the hell is taking so long why are you making it up as you go. Instead they let the process go unattested.

I almost see the point on this one but it's not up to the Vikings or any team to challenge how long or the process. It's upto the NFLPA to do that...this is there job to represent the players regarding league matters, CBA matters etc...not the Vikings organization. Once put on the exempt list the Vikings were out of the equation. If you want to be upset with someone for not challenging the League then IMO it should be the NFLPA that waited too long. Let also be fair to the league too, they have to react to public opinion, sponsor opinion etc and with the alarming amount of domestic violence, DUI's, these players are committing. Peterson may be taking the brunt of this this and you can debate whether he was unfairly treated but too much sh$t is happening and really this is only the stuff we are hearing about.

* Vikings Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.