Author Topic: Was Caution on final lap the right call?  (Read 104 times)

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • 37 Ford
Was Caution on final lap the right call?
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:37:43 AM »
Yesterday NASCAR threw a caution on the last lap ending the race and making the leader Joey Logano the Daytona 500 winner.  The day before in the Xfinity series a similar incident happened and they allowed the cars to finish the race under green creating an exciting finish.

So did NASCAR make the right call for the 500?  Here is what NASCAR had to say:

NASCAR cites 'competitor safety' in throwing the final caution: NASCAR officials say they felt the backstretch crash Sunday on the final lap of the Daytona 500 had enough hard hits with the wall that they had to throw the caution as leader and eventual winner Joey Logano entered Turn 3. It resulted in a somewhat anticlimactic finish with the race ending on a judgment call under yellow-flag conditions without a scramble to the finish line. But it was a finish that NASCAR said was necessary for safety reasons. NASCAR rules dictate that once the leader has taken the white flag, it will not restart the race if the caution comes out. Drivers keep their position as long as they maintain a reasonable speed to the finish line. "We make every effort to finish a race under the green flag," NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp said. "However, when cars get disrupted and hit the wall as they did on that last lap, we are going to react in the best interest of competitor safety."(ESPN.com)(2-23-2015)

I saw the ending to both races and when I reflect on it I think NASCAR made the right call only because the wreck in the Xfinity Series was towards the back of the pack and not many cars were involved.  The wreck in the 500 happened towards the front and not only were a lot of cars involved, hitting the wall hard, but the cars behind had to slow way down to dodge the carnage.  Yes the top 7 to 10 drivers were racing but there were a lot of cars slowing down and dodging other cars on the track. With all that was going on it was the right call.  Those who disagree just has to look back as to why there are no more racing back to the caution.  warnings had to be given to those in the back to slow down coming to the wreck for safety reasons. 

At least it wasn't a HMS car in the lead so you don't have to hear about any conspiracy threads.  ddbana ddbana cheer1
car2   atl3 den1 arkansas1

Offline chokincolts

• Veteran
  • Timing is Everything in Life
Re: Was Caution on final lap the right call?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:12:12 AM »
Actually I thought NASCAR should have thrown the caution earlier than they did.
BORING - BORING - BORING Daytona 500. Less excitement at the track than I have ever seen (except when Dale Jr took the lead).
There was some great three-wide racing towards the end and that was incredible to watch.
I am kind of torn here because
1.  The drivers all drove a very safe race even at times when they were within inches of each other.
2.  Once again - no big wrecks at a Super Speedway sends the fans leaving disappointed.

Are the drivers just more cautious now or have the NASCAR Drivers become more cautious?

But still a very boring race to watch.

Congrats to Sliced Bread and Roger Penske

Offline Khep

• King
  • Star
  • Go Cuse!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:15:40 AM »
Kyle getting hurt Saturday had to be in the back of their collective heads.

I would of much better liked a green finish.

Offline Section_725

• Star
  • Try Not! Do! Or Do Not! There Is No Try!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 02:45:04 PM »
By the time they threw the caution most of the cars were past the wreck, so why bother? I would have preferred to see the race finish with a checkered flag instead of a yellow flag.
Years ago the drivers actually used the noodle in their heads to figure out whether or not it was safe to race to the caution flag. Then drivers got stupid so NASCAR had to create a rule to prevent them from extreme acts of stupidity.
I don't know if Harvick or Jr. would have gotten by Logano, but that last caution turned a 3 hour snoozefest into a anti-climatic win for Joey Logano. And before anyone brings it up, in 1998 I was super ecstatic that Dale Sr. won the 500, I just wish the last lap hadn't been under caution, but they did race back to the yellow in that race.
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 03:23:35 PM »
It would be nice to see a blimp shot of the race at the moment of the caution.
   mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Offline Ben Rinaldi

• NASCAR Pick 3 Manager
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 04:45:59 PM »
If you like the guy who's leading, you're loving the call.  If you don't, you hate it.

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • 37 Ford
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »
I too wish it could have ended under green,  But was the right call made?  I think so, and most of you know how I feel about NASCAR and the crap they pull.  I thought the made for TV/Radio Commercial that kept JJ, Carl, Truex Jr. from going a lap down was bogus but expected in today's NASCAR
car2   atl3 den1 arkansas1