Author Topic: NASCAR questions from the unfamiliar.  (Read 205 times)

Offline Handi

• Contributing Member.
  • Star
  • Pickems Record: first place
NASCAR questions from the unfamiliar.
« on: February 26, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »
How many points do you get for leading a lap in a race?
You better check yo'self, fool.

B&G Founding Father
Soccer Guru
Fists of Fury
Octagon of Pain

Offline Randy

• WAYLT Head Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • JEFF GORDON, 4-Time NASCAR Champion
Re: NASCAR questions from the unfamiliar.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 06:33:36 AM »
How many points do you get for leading a lap in a race?

1 bonus point for leading at least 1 lap, and 1 bonus point for leading the most laps in a race.

Offline Handi

• Contributing Member.
  • Star
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:54:14 PM »
1 bonus point for leading at least 1 lap, and 1 bonus point for leading the most laps in a race.

Why does the Logano guy have 47 points?  43 for winning, yes?  2 more for leading race bonus.  Why the other two bonus points?

B&G Founding Father
Soccer Guru
Fists of Fury
Octagon of Pain

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 10:44:12 PM »
Logano got 4 bonus points for the win (includes a lap lead by definition of winning)

Jeff Gordon got the most laps lead so he ended up with 2 bonus points.

All other lap leaders got one bonus point.

mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Online River Rat

• Home of 2017 Rats Cup
  • Coach
  • Too old for this $&#@
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »
Why does the Logano guy have 47 points?  43 for winning, yes?  2 more for leading race bonus.  Why the other two bonus points?

NASCAR is really trying to promote winning, so they are now throwing in bonus points for the race winner as well as pretty much an automatic birth into the chase (playoffs) at the end of the year.  In years past, guys would be conservative and just settle into 2nd or 3rd and "points race" rather than go for it.

Went out last night and got really wasted. 
I woke up in the middle of the night next to some chick who was snoring and farting, so I knew I made it home OK.

Offline Randy

• WAYLT Head Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • JEFF GORDON, 4-Time NASCAR Champion
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 07:29:47 AM »

The race winner gets 43 points for finishing first, 3 bonus points for the win and 1 bonus for leading a lap(he obviously led the last lap, so the race winner will always get this bonus).  So, the race winner will always receive at least 47 points, with the possibility of 1 additional bonus point if he leads the most laps.  Logano did not lead the most laps at Daytona, so he ended up with 47 points.

Offline Handi

• Contributing Member.
  • Star
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 09:35:49 PM »
The race winner gets 43 points for finishing first, 3 bonus points for the win and 1 bonus for leading a lap(he obviously led the last lap, so the race winner will always get this bonus).  So, the race winner will always receive at least 47 points, with the possibility of 1 additional bonus point if he leads the most laps.  Logano did not lead the most laps at Daytona, so he ended up with 47 points.

So 48 is the  most points?  Got it.  Thanks for the explanation.

Do you get points deducted for anything?

B&G Founding Father
Soccer Guru
Fists of Fury
Octagon of Pain

Online River Rat

• Home of 2017 Rats Cup
  • Coach
  • Too old for this $&#@
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 07:11:59 AM »
Do you get points deducted for anything?

Not on race day anyway.  If a car is illegal at post race inspection, a driver and owner can be penalized points.  25 points is kind of the norm.  If there are any penalties, they are usually handed out on Tuesday after the race.

I woke up in the middle of the night next to some chick who was snoring and farting, so I knew I made it home OK.

Offline Handi

• Contributing Member.
  • Star
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 12:18:12 AM »
Ouch, 25 points is a lot in the scheme of things.  What are common infractions at post race inspection? 

B&G Founding Father
Soccer Guru
Fists of Fury
Octagon of Pain

Online River Rat

• Home of 2017 Rats Cup
  • Coach
  • Too old for this $&#@
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 05:30:44 AM »
Ouch, 25 points is a lot in the scheme of things.  What are common infractions at post race inspection? 

Illegal parts --- Ride height too low( although I think they changed the rules on this )----- Some have been caught unsealing the firewalls and wheel wells to allow air to flow thru the inside of the car to create more downforce.  The list is long, they are all trying to find that edge.

Offline chokincolts

• Veteran
  • Timing is Everything in Life
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 03:18:16 PM »
Why was Kurt Busch suspended again?

Offline Handi

• Contributing Member.
  • Star
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 05:33:01 AM »
One of the Busch's is injured, I think and the other one is dating a double agent or something.  I couldn't pick either one of them out of a lineup.

My question (again) is who gets to race in their place?  Is it like a minor leaguer that is already on the race team or can you pick any of the lesser racers?

B&G Founding Father
Soccer Guru
Fists of Fury
Octagon of Pain

Offline Ben Rinaldi

• NASCAR Pick 3 Manager
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 11:19:22 PM »
One of the Busch's is injured, I think and the other one is dating a double agent or something.  I couldn't pick either one of them out of a lineup.

My question (again) is who gets to race in their place?  Is it like a minor leaguer that is already on the race team or can you pick any of the lesser racers?
It really depends on each situation and there's no real set way of doing things. 

In some cases, a lot of the bigger organizations go to a minor leaguer and that's what Stewart-Haas Racing did with putting Regan Smith in Kurt Busch's car.  Regan was running in the lower level series full-time, but now he's doing double duty by running both series each week.

With Kyle Busch's replacement, Joe Gibbs Racing actually borrowed a driver from a lower funded Cup Series team with David Ragan for 9 races to drive their car.  The team Ragan was driving for signed off on the deal and once his 9 races are up, Ragan will go back to driving his old car (#34) for the rest of the year.