Author Topic: Condom Pope  (Read 348 times)

Offline PackJason

• AFR
  • Star
  • I work at Fox News
Condom Pope
« on: June 29, 2015, 07:52:35 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/milwaukee-art-museums-embrace-of-condom-portrait-of-pope-draws-disgust-b99527618z1-310570591.html

The decision by the Milwaukee Art Museum to acquire and prominently display a controversial portrait of Pope Benedict XVI fashioned from 17,000 colored condoms has created outrage among Catholics and others who see it as profoundly disrespectful, even blasphemous.

Many suggest that if a piece were as offensive to other faith traditions or communities it would not be tolerated, much less embraced.

Milwaukee Archbishop Jerome Listecki blasted the decision as insulting and callous. The museum acknowledged it has fielded about 200 complaints. A handful of patrons dropped their memberships; one longtime docent tendered her resignation; and at least one donor vowed never to support the museum financially again.

Museum officials said an equal number of people have voiced support for the piece and that memberships and pledges in general are growing. They said they regret that the portrait, by Shorewood artist Niki Johnson, has elicited such enmity. But they insist it was not their intent — nor the intent of the artist — to offend Catholics or anyone else. And they said they continue to enjoy the support of people of all faiths, including Catholics.

Poor, poor Christians. 

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
Re: Condom Pope
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 07:58:32 AM »
 He should put one of Mohammed right next to it............to be fair and not show preference to any one religion of course!
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
  • Average Joe With an Opinion
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 08:02:40 AM »
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:04:11 AM »
Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!  I have joined the dark side!!!!!!!!!!!!  The master beat the apprentice by 3 minutes.
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 08:06:43 AM »
Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!  I have joined the dark side!!!!!!!!!!!!  The master beat the apprentice by 3 minutes.
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
  • PIV is always rape, ok?!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
Meh, they do kind of have a point unless this is up by the caricature of Mohammed.
Does it help that it's of the old, former Nazi, looks-like-he's-possessed-by-demons pope ?

And it can't be up next to the cartoon of Mohammed, because then there's gunfire.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 08:17:50 AM »
Does it help that it's of the old, former Nazi, looks-like-he's-possessed-by-demons pope ?

And it can't be up next to the cartoon of Mohammed, because then there's gunfire.

Moses, then?  Buddha?
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Offline UTKipp1

• Non-atheist
  • Coach
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 08:22:20 AM »
Meh, they do kind of have a point unless this is up by the caricature of Mohammed.
This
Our Batman,
Who art in Batcave,
Bruce Wayne be thy name.
Thy Wayne Manor come, thy justice be done,
In Arkham as it is in Blackgate.
And give us this day our daily Nightwing,
And beat down the Joker,
As Robin beats down Two Face,
Who trespasses against us.
And lead us not into Crime Alley,
But deliver us from Joe Chill.
Amen.

dal1 atl3 chi4 tennessee1

Offline PackJason

• AFR
  • Star
  • I work at Fox News
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »

Islam is a peaceful religion, right?  I'm sure the museum isn't afraid of Muslims shooting the place up. 

Offline SithEvolution

• Star
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 08:27:22 AM »
He is an employee of the Empire. No other comparisons will be tolerated.

Offline Bayou Tiger

• Star
  • Duck Calls For Sale, HOMEMADE !!!
  • Pickems Record: 1,002/0
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 08:38:09 AM »
Wait !  Hold on one minute !

This is a teachable moment ! 

You all know damn well if this was the prophet Mohamed, Abdul and Hijab would not tolerate this attack on the messenger of their God Allah !   They have so much faith in his words that they believe in an everlasting kingdom after death.  They would be honored to die in killing those who would besmirch their beliefs !

Well if geneh and WT don't defend the prophets, their Vicar of Christ....if they don't go to that museum and defend their faith by destroying those who would besmirch their faith and dishonor the disciples of their own God then they must not have faith in the life everlasting promised to them.

Time to put up or shut up !
Chuck and Lisa Detective Service, Inc.

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
  • Pickems Record: 9999999-2
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 08:53:39 AM »
The Milwaukee Art Museum has the right to be disrespectful, even blasphemous. So what's the problem?
All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 08:57:45 AM »
He is an employee of the Empire. No other comparisons will be tolerated.

Wow.  The resemblance is scary!
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Offline Bayou Tiger

• Star
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »
The Milwaukee Art Museum has the right to be disrespectful, even blasphemous. So what's the problem?

Chickenshit !   Prayer warrior only huh ?

Offline Bayou Tiger

• Star
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 01:07:56 PM »
Wow.  The resemblance is scary!

Yes !  Yes it is !

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 01:39:34 PM »
Yes !  Yes it is !

Bah!  The debil's a chick.
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 01:41:37 PM »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 01:42:12 PM »
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Mannyrules3

• CBS Admin6
  • Icon
  • Who's Your Skydaddy?
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 02:40:29 PM »

This

Wait a minute, are you guys saying the Christians have a right to be upset about Condom Pope because they didn't put up an equally 'insulting' Muhammad thing right next to it?

Are you kidding me?  That's like saying a comedian can't make a Jew joke unless he follows it with jokes about every other ethnicity.

I thought we were mostly AGAINST this uber-PC bullchit?

The Christians should be no more or less upset about Condom Pope in the absense of Toilet Paper Muhammad.  I mean if you're a Christian who is thin-skinned enough to get upset over Condom Pope, would it somehow make you feel better if Jizz-Stain Buddha and Yellow T-Shirt Armpit Kokopelli were up there as well?  I don't get that mentality at all.

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 02:57:35 PM »

Wait a minute, are you guys saying the Christians have a right to be upset about Condom Pope because they didn't put up an equally 'insulting' Muhammad thing right next to it?

Are you kidding me?  That's like saying a comedian can't make a Jew joke unless he follows it with jokes about every other ethnicity.

The Christians should be no more or less upset about Condom Pope in the absense of Toilet Paper Muhammad.  I mean if you're a Christian who is thin-skinned enough to get upset over Condom Pope, would it somehow make you feel better if Jizz-Stain Buddha and Yellow T-Shirt Armpit Kokopelli were up there as well?  I don't get that mentality at all.

The problem is it's become one-sided.  Somehow it has become acceptable to mock Christians and no one else.  When people want to piss on them because of their stupid bigotry, I have no problem.  When people want to piss on them just because, especially when they know there won't be the outcry/whatever, that's when I have the problem.
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Offline PackJason

• AFR
  • Star
  • I work at Fox News
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 03:01:33 PM »
The problem is it's become one-sided.  Somehow it has become acceptable to mock Christians and no one else.  When people want to piss on them because of their stupid bigotry, I have no problem.  When people want to piss on them just because, especially when they know there won't be the outcry/whatever, that's when I have the problem.

I think you're missing the point of the artist using condoms. 

This is the same Pope who lied to people in Africa by telling them that condoms cause AIDS.  The man is indirectly responsible for thousands of AIDS deaths. 

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 03:09:35 PM »
I think you're missing the point of the artist using condoms. 

This is the same Pope who lied to people in Africa by telling them that condoms cause AIDS.  The man is indirectly responsible for thousands of AIDS deaths. 

No, I get it.  I just also get the outcry, because somehow this wouldn't be acceptable if it were any other religion.  I guess I'm more saying, stop defending the other ones.  Christians are being treated differently in cases like this, yes or no?
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Offline PackJason

• AFR
  • Star
  • I work at Fox News
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 03:11:28 PM »
No, I get it.  I just also get the outcry, because somehow this wouldn't be acceptable if it were any other religion.  I guess I'm more saying, stop defending the other ones.  Christians are being treated differently in cases like this, yes or no?

Yeah, but I think that's because Christians typically don't go on murderous rampages over pictures. 

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 03:14:45 PM »
Yeah, but I think that's because Christians typically don't go on murderous rampages over pictures. 

The day is young.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline UTKipp1

• Non-atheist
  • Coach
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 03:18:26 PM »

Well, yeah Christians have the right to be upset about anything they want. So do you.

But I was agreeing that the guy has a point that if it were a figure from another religion to outcry against it wouldn't come from just the followers of that religion.
Our Batman,
Who art in Batcave,
Bruce Wayne be thy name.
Thy Wayne Manor come, thy justice be done,
In Arkham as it is in Blackgate.
And give us this day our daily Nightwing,
And beat down the Joker,
As Robin beats down Two Face,
Who trespasses against us.
And lead us not into Crime Alley,
But deliver us from Joe Chill.
Amen.