Author Topic: Tennessee Makes Strong Showing for Stupidity Awards  (Read 360 times)

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
  • Average Joe With an Opinion
Re: Tennessee Makes Strong Showing for Stupidity Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 11:58:32 AM »
"outcry against said church for being backwards".......

Oxymoron

True.  But, I think they should be protected in this case.
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 11:59:57 AM »
And? The baker can't refuse based on their sexual orientation. Now, if the couple had wanted a penis or something similar, the guy could refuse that as long as he hasn't ever done something like that for someone else.

People can believe whatever they want. People can worship how they want, as long as someone isn't hurt. But owning a bakery is not a form of worship so he is not protected by the 1st Ammendment in that case.

Bullchit.  Sol worships the bakery he chooses to frequent.
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
  • PIV is always rape, ok?!
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 12:07:29 PM »
Bullchit.  Sol worships the bakery he chooses to frequent.
C'mon now- I made that joke a while back already.  Step off, Mencia.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Raylan Michael Molnar

• Coach
  • "You gonna 'pull' on me?"
  • Pickems Record: 81 and counting.
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 12:16:47 PM »
Oregon:

Family Research Council President Tony Perkins blasted the harsh penalty levied against the Kleins.

The state of Oregon has given a new meaning to shotgun weddings,” Perkins said. “You will be forced to participate in same-sex weddings and violate your beliefs.”

Perkins wondered what affect the Oregon ruling would have on religious freedom across the country.
“If Americans are not free to decline to be involved in a specific activity that violates their beliefs, then we are not free,” he said.
It’s not exactly clear what led GoFundMe to drop the fundraising drive – but Perkins blamed it on gay activists.

“This reveals two very important aspects of the redefinition of marriage, Americans are not going along with it and two – the intolerance of those trying to redefine marriage is historically unprecedented,” Perkins said.

Samaritan’s Purse a Christian ministry run by Franklin Graham, has stepped up and offered to raise funds for the embattled Christian couple.

Aaron Klein told me they will appeal the judge’s recommended fine.

“All Americans should be free to live and work by their faith without the fear of the government punishing them,” he told me.
Klein told me the gay rights activists won’t be satisfied until her family is living in a homeless shelter.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/26/christian-bakers-face-135k-fine-for-refusing-to-make-cake-for-gay-wedding/

Nice outfit, Baby.

ana2  sd3

• Coach

Nice outfit, Baby.

ana2  sd3

• Coach
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »
n Colorado, where Mr. Phillips, 58, owns and operates a small bakery called Masterpiece Cakeshop, the State Civil Rights Commission determined that Mr. Phillips had violated a state law banning discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in places of public accommodation. The commission ordered Mr. Phillips to retrain all of his employees, who include his 87-year-old mother, and to produce a quarterly report detailing any refusals to bake; in response, he has stopped accepting orders for any wedding cakes while he appeals the ruling to the state courts.

“I do like doing the wedding cakes,” he said. “But I don’t like having the government tell me which ones I can make and which ones I can’t make, and trying to control that part of my life.”

In New York, an administrative law judge fined Cynthia and Robert Gifford $13,000 for declining to rent their upstate farmhouse, which they often rent out for heterosexual weddings, for the wedding of two women. The couple paid the fine but, in an action similar to that taken by Mr. Phillips, has stopped accepting reservations for any weddings while appealing.

There have been more than a half-dozen other instances of business owners, most citing their understanding of Christian faith, declining to provide services for same-sex weddings. They include a photographer in New Mexico, a florist in Washington State, a bakery in Oregon, an inn in Vermont and wedding chapels in Idaho and in Nevada. And new cases continue to arise — over the last few weeks, a wedding planner in Arizona declined to work with a lesbian couple, and a business in California refused to photograph the wedding of a gay male couple (and then closed its doors after an outcry).

The cases are largely being fought, and some say fueled, by two legal advocacy organizations: the American Civil Liberties Union, which supports same-sex marriage, and the Alliance Defending Freedom, which opposes it. Each side cites bedrock American principles: First Amendment rights of religion and speech versus prohibitions in 21 states against discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of sexual orientation.

“It’s a clear, well-settled proposition that businesses who open the door to the public must serve the public,” said Evan Wolfson, the president of Freedom to Marry, an organization advocating same-sex marriage. “We don’t want Americans walking into businesses and being turned away because of who they are — that’s what nondiscrimination principles mean.”

But the defenders of the shop owners argue that creating an artistically involved or personalized service for a same-sex wedding is a form of expression that should not be compelled by the government. They reject the discrimination charge, noting that many of the businesses have gay and lesbian customers, and, in some cases, employees.

“Anyone who would suggest this is not about freedom of religion doesn’t know or understand what religious liberty is about, which is the freedom to do what your conscience directs,” said Alan Sears, the president of the Alliance Defending Freedom.

Mr. Sears says he has experienced his own form of bias: He says that a photographer in Southern California declined to shoot a portrait of his family for a Christmas card after discovering that Mr. Sears heads an organization that opposes same-sex marriage. Mr. Sears said he supported the photographer’s right to refuse service, just as he would support a gay baker’s right to refuse to make a cake with an anti-gay message.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/us/cant-have-your-cake-gays-are-told-and-a-rights-battle-rises.html?_r=0

As Christians, we are SUPPOSED TO SUFFER for our Faith, but the Constitution provides for Freedom OF Religion.  So if the government is going to nullify Freedom OF Religion, they should just say so rather than looking for per-censoring of artists like custom cake bakers or any other creative pursuit.

Nice outfit, Baby.

ana2  sd3

Offline Scuzz

• King of Off-Topic...Master of His Own Domain
  • Coach
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 12:29:35 PM »

nevermind
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 12:31:30 PM by Scuzz »
Being right is the least of my concerns.

Offline Tom Ace

• Star
  • Star
  • This is my personal text.
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 12:52:30 PM »
Dear RMM,

Shut up, stupid.

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »
Dear RMM,

Shut up, stupid.
I was thinking, we could get his contact info and send him a gay ISIS penis cake for his next birthday...
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2015, 01:41:23 PM »
I was thinking, we could get his contact info and send him a gay ISIS penis cake for his next birthday...

gay+penis = redundant (unless I'm missing something about RMM)
gay+ISIS = contradictory
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 01:43:08 PM »
gay+penis = redundant (unless I'm missing something about RMM)
gay+ISIS = contradictory
Shaddup.  We're doing it !  And then I'm going to patent the term and make billions.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »
I just checked the calendar.
MM's birfday is a lil over a month away...August 11.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 02:26:03 PM »
I just checked the calendar.
MM's birfday is a lil over a month away...August 11.

Let's just make sure whatever cake we buy is large enough for Caitlyn Jenner to pop out of.
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Offline steelerssb

• His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular
  • Coach
  • Your ad here
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2015, 02:43:15 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/06/03/baker-forced-to-make-gay-wedding-cakes-undergo-sensitivity-training-after.html

A family owned bakery has been ordered to make wedding cakes for gay couples and guarantee that its staff be given comprehensive training on Colorado’s anti-discrimination laws after the state’s Civil Rights Commission determined the Christian baker violated the law by refusing to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

Jack Phillips, the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop, in Lakewood, Colorado was directed to change his store policies immediately and force his staff to attend the training sessions. For the next two years, Phillips will also be required to submit quarterly reports to the commission to confirm that he has not turned away customers based on their sexual orientation.

Nicolle Martin, an attorney with Alliance Defending Freedom, called the ruling Orwellian and said they are considering an appeal.

“They are turning people of faith into religious refugees,” Martin told me. “Is this the society that we want to live in – where people of faith are driven out of business?”

Martin said it was “truly frightening” that Phillips will be forced to submit quarterly reports to the government disclosing whether he turned away any wedding cake business.
“There will be some reporting requirements so that Jack can demonstrate that he doesn’t exercise his belief system anymore – that he has divested himself of his beliefs,” she said.
He will also be required to create new policies and procedures for his staff.

“We consider this reporting to be aimed at rehabilitating Jack so that he has the right thoughts,” Martin said. “That’s offensive to everything America stands for.”

Phillips, who is celebrating his 40th year in business this week, told me he’s not going to create any new policies.

“My old ones are pretty adequate as far as I’m concerned,” he said. “I don’t plan on giving up my faith and changing because of that.”

The controversy started in 2012 when a gay couple asked Phillips to make their wedding cake. Phillips politely declined, saying he could not make a cake promoting a same-sex ceremony because of his faith. He offered to make them any other baked item they wanted.

Charlie Craig and David Mullins filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Commission alleging they were discriminated against because of their sexual orientation. For the record, same-sex marriage is against the law in Colorado.

The commission affirmed a civil court’s ruling that the bakery cannot discriminate against persons in a public place based on sexual orientation.

“You can have your beliefs, but you can’t hurt other people at the same time,” Commission Chairwoman Katina Banks told The Denver Channel.

ACLU attorney Amanda Goad, who heads up the organization’s LBGT group, heralded the ruling.

“Religious freedom is undoubtedly an important American value, but so is the right to be treated equally under the law free from discrimination,” she said in a statement.
No one read that
You have been banned from further use of this board. To dispute the ban, please email the CBS help desk.

pit1 pit2 pit3 missouri1 sea1

Offline steelerssb

• His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular
  • Coach
  • Your ad here
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2015, 02:44:09 PM »
RMM has gone full RMM
You have been banned from further use of this board. To dispute the ban, please email the CBS help desk.

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »
No one read that

Including RMM if history holds.
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Offline Tom Ace

• Star
  • Star
  • This is my personal text.
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2015, 02:46:49 PM »
No one read that

Actually, that one I did read, just to make sure I hadn't missed something.  I skipped all of his following posts, though.

Offline UTKipp1

• Non-atheist
  • Coach
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2015, 03:02:52 PM »
I read the first one to find mention of the penis and vagina cakes he mentioned a baker being forced to produce. I'll let you guess how that search went.
Our Batman,
Who art in Batcave,
Bruce Wayne be thy name.
Thy Wayne Manor come, thy justice be done,
In Arkham as it is in Blackgate.
And give us this day our daily Nightwing,
And beat down the Joker,
As Robin beats down Two Face,
Who trespasses against us.
And lead us not into Crime Alley,
But deliver us from Joe Chill.
Amen.

dal1 atl3 chi4 tennessee1

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2015, 03:07:10 PM »
I read the first one to find mention of the penis and vagina cakes he mentioned a baker being forced to produce. I'll let you guess how that search went.

Just remember, PIV cakes are always cake rape.
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Offline Fish-on087

• Star
  • MKTF H.O.F inductees TG and Eliot R.I.P.
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2015, 07:05:59 PM »
The irony of all this is that the federal government will have to act as a defense for religious freedoms and defend the 1st amendment in the name of religious institutions. The federal government will have to attach itself as one with religious freedoms provided in the 1st amendment to counter a suit claiming the 14th amendment was violated.

The cake case decision only refers to a service, not a religious right. If you provide a service you must comply however a religious institution is protected. The rituals that are performed are bound by guidelines of faith. If the catholic church does not condone same sex and never performed a same sex marriage it cannot be expected to break it's foundation for the sake of a state law. The separation of church and state is embedded in SCOTUS review.
Now if a denomination that has endorsed gay marriage and has performed it  is asked the same , there may be a different argument and that is where the State must assume a religious defense. The State must protect the constitution , It will be an amendment war

This case will be bigger than ROE v WADE
Concrete shoes have no laces

• Coach
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2015, 07:10:52 PM »
No one read that

An educator's fault, no doubt.

Nice outfit, Baby.

ana2  sd3

• Coach
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2015, 07:11:56 PM »
And? The baker can't refuse based on their sexual orientation. Now, if the couple had wanted a penis or something similar, the guy could refuse that as long as he hasn't ever done something like that for someone else.

People can believe whatever they want. People can worship how they want, as long as someone isn't hurt. But owning a bakery is not a form of worship so he is not protected by the 1st Amendment in that case.

I hope you are correct.  Just watch....this is what the hubbub is really about.

Remember, if SCOTUS can add words to a law, like they just did with King v. Burwell, they can subtract words too

Nice outfit, Baby.

ana2  sd3

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
  • Pickems Record: 9999999-2
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2015, 07:15:18 PM »
This is just the reaction of Christian lawmakers who feel that pastors need a little more protection - or more likely it is a couple of politicians who are taking advantage of the SCOTUS ruling to further their political careers in the conservative South.
All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Offline tnzazz

• Icon
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2015, 07:15:44 PM »

A new bill in Tennessee seeks to "protect" churches and clergy from performing same-sex marriages.

http://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-drafting-pastor-protection-act-supreme-court-ruling-174159086.html

There's more stupidity in the article, but that's the gist of it.  Way to waste time on a completely unnecessary bill with no practical use whatsoever.  I thought the people who would go for this nonsense were against government waste.

Because that's what these dumb fucks do here.  We try to pass the dumbest laws ever. It's amazing what we to pass and what we actually pass.
memphis1 ten1 nsh2 mem4

Offline steelerssb

• Coach
  • Your ad here
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2015, 07:41:14 PM »
An educator's fault, no doubt.
Because it's you. If you don't even read the chit you post, why should we?