Author Topic: SCOTUS gives conservatives small carrot  (Read 427 times)

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
  • PIV is always rape, ok?!
SCOTUS gives conservatives small carrot
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:34:49 AM »
Supreme Court refuses to ban controversial method of execution

Richard Wolf, USA TODAY 12:24 p.m. EDT June 29, 2015

WASHINGTON -- A closely divided Supreme Court refused Monday to limit states' use of a controversial execution method that dissenting justices said was akin to "being burned at the stake."

The court's conservative majority said lethal injection remains the most humane method of execution, and that challengers had not identified a suitable alternative, given a shortage of drugs that has forced some states to experiment with less reliable alternatives.

Justice Samuel Alito wrote the decision for the court. All four liberal justices dissented vehemently; two of them said the entire death penalty likely is unconstitutional and urged the court to consider a broad challenge in the future.

To prohibit the use of midazolam, a sedative that has left some death row prisoners seemingly able to feel pain from the next two drugs in a three-drug cocktail, would have unfairly tied the states' hands, the justices ruled.

"While most humans wish to die a painless death, many do not have that good fortune," Alito wrote. "Holding that the 8th Amendment demands the elimination of essentially all risk of pain would effectively outlaw the death penalty altogether."

Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote the principal dissent for the four more liberal justices, charging that the ruling "leaves petitioners exposed to what may well be the chemical equivalent of being burned at the stake."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/29/supreme-court-lethal-injection/28648145/

Pro-Obamacare, and pro-gay marriage, but also pro-death.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
Re: SCOTUS gives conservatives small carrot
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:41:11 AM »
"being burned at the stake."

inflammatory rhetoric
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:44:39 AM »
"being burned at the stake."

inflammatory rhetoric
Could you imagine what the effect would be if the 8th Amendment were interpreted to mean "no pain, ever" ?  Prisons and police departments would be disbanded overnight.

The liberal Justices are as bad as the conservative ones on the SCOTUS.  It's not hard to see that there'd be at least 4 votes to abolish the death penalty in the future based upon a wide interpretation of what the word, "cruel" means.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Scuzz

• King of Off-Topic...Master of His Own Domain
  • Coach
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 11:52:41 AM »
Scalia is a dick.
Being right is the least of my concerns.

Offline steelerssb

• His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular
  • Coach
  • Your ad here
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »
The Supreme Court ruled on the legality of something?

Tyranny and unconstitutional I tell you!
You have been banned from further use of this board. To dispute the ban, please email the CBS help desk.

pit1 pit2 pit3 missouri1 sea1

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 02:51:33 PM »
The Supreme Court ruled on the legality of something?

Tyranny and unconstitutional I tell you!
Not at all.  They upheld a lower court's finding.  There's nothing in the Constitution for them to base a decision on.  (Not that that's stopped them before.)
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline steelerssb

• His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular
  • Coach
  • Your ad here
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 02:53:39 PM »
Not at all.  They upheld a lower court's finding.  There's nothing in the Constitution for them to base a decision on.  (Not that that's stopped them before.)
You have been banned from further use of this board. To dispute the ban, please email the CBS help desk.

Offline Mannyrules3

• CBS Admin6
  • Icon
  • Who's Your Skydaddy?
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 02:57:57 PM »
The court's conservative majority said lethal injection remains the most humane method of execution,

I just can't imagine that this is true.  I hear horror stories about what these drugs really do to people.  And I don't get the whole "triple cocktail" thing...it seems way too complex.  If they are going to use drugs, why not just use the chit they use when you go in for surgery?  Every time I've gone under it's the same thing...I feel fine...fine...fine...then 3 hours later I wake up.  If they just put a person under they could then shoot them in the head or whatever they wanted and there would be no pain at all.

Also see:  Guillotine.  That has to be zero pain, one second you're 100% fine and the next split second your head is in a basket and you're off to Valhalla.

Offline steelerssb

• Coach
  • Your ad here
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 02:59:09 PM »
I just can't imagine that this is true.  I hear horror stories about what these drugs really do to people.  And I don't get the whole "triple cocktail" thing...it seems way too complex.  If they are going to use drugs, why not just use the chit they use when you go in for surgery?  Every time I've gone under it's the same thing...I feel fine...fine...fine...then 3 hours later I wake up.  If they just put a person under they could then shoot them in the head or whatever they wanted and there would be no pain at all.

Also see:  Guillotine.  That has to be zero pain, one second you're 100% fine and the next split second your head is in a basket and you're off to Valhalla.
Just better hope that thing is sharp

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 03:00:25 PM »
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 03:03:28 PM »

Morphine OD.  No pain, heart stops. Finis
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline steelerssb

• Coach
  • Your ad here
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 03:05:08 PM »
I like mine better:

Hmm....you may have me beat

Offline UTKipp1

• Non-atheist
  • Coach
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »

Except it seems it is possible to retain consciousness for a few seconds after decapitaion.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/extrasensory-perceptions/lucid-decapitation3.htm
Our Batman,
Who art in Batcave,
Bruce Wayne be thy name.
Thy Wayne Manor come, thy justice be done,
In Arkham as it is in Blackgate.
And give us this day our daily Nightwing,
And beat down the Joker,
As Robin beats down Two Face,
Who trespasses against us.
And lead us not into Crime Alley,
But deliver us from Joe Chill.
Amen.

dal1 atl3 chi4 tennessee1

Offline Bayou Tiger

• Star
  • Duck Calls For Sale, HOMEMADE !!!
  • Pickems Record: 1,002/0
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »
Should just do away with the death penalty altogether.   If killing someone is such a bad thing, and it is, why then is the State involved with this practice ?
Chuck and Lisa Detective Service, Inc.

Offline wild-turkey

• Star
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 03:46:27 PM »
two of them said the entire death penalty likely is unconstitutional and urged the court to consider a broad challenge in the future.
I would love to hear the argument on this.  Personally I think we should do away with the death penalty, but I don't really want it banned (there are a few extreme cases where it should be applied) and I don't see anyway you can argue the founding fathers were opposed to it.

The court has gotten way too liberal and I'm not saying that because of the current rulings I'm basing that statement on the fact that 2 justices would make the quoted statement.

Offline wild-turkey

• Star
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 03:47:12 PM »
Could you imagine what the effect would be if the 8th Amendment were interpreted to mean "no pain, ever" ?  Prisons and police departments would be disbanded overnight.

The liberal Justices are as bad as the conservative ones on the SCOTUS.  It's not hard to see that there'd be at least 4 votes to abolish the death penalty in the future based upon a wide interpretation of what the word, "cruel" means.
Word

Offline steelerssb

• Coach
  • Your ad here
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 03:51:07 PM »
The death penalty should be reserved for people like the Boston Bomber

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »
Should just do away with the death penalty altogether.   If killing someone is such a bad thing, and it is, why then is the State involved with this practice ?
Because as has been evidenced recently, the worst of the worst murderers can sometimes from the most secure prisons in the country.  There's no place you can put these people cheaply where they can be inexpensively held forever without any threat of release.

Just make the sentencing guidelines for the death penalty much more stringent.  Bottom line: if you know the guy did it and can corroborate damning evidence, then reduce the number of appeals down to almost nothing and make it mandatory to throw the switch in a low maximum number of years (5?).

The death penalty should be reserved for people like the Boston Bomber
^This.  Only the Tom Aces of the world are trying to save his evil ass.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Bayou Tiger

• Star
  • Duck Calls For Sale, HOMEMADE !!!
  • Pickems Record: 1,002/0
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »
The court has gotten way too liberal and I'm not saying that because of the current rulings I'm basing that statement on the fact that 2 justices would make the quoted statement.

Well then you must not be familiar with the following words:

"We hold these truths to be sacred & undeniable; that all men are created equal & independent, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent & inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, & liberty, & the pursuit of happiness "

They were "inalienable rights" which the Declaration says has been given to all human beings by their Creator.

Surely you've heard of it ?
Chuck and Lisa Detective Service, Inc.

Offline Tom Ace

• Star
  • Star
  • This is my personal text.
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 03:57:05 PM »

All you have to do is read anything Scalia, Alito and Thomas write to realize this isn't true.

Offline wild-turkey

• Star
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »

Tom can't help it one of his liberal personalities identifies as a radical muslim extremist, so that makes it ok.

Offline Tom Ace

• Star
  • Star
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 03:58:19 PM »

Not trying to save his ass, just arguing that it should be off the table.

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 04:01:21 PM »
Well then you must not be familiar with the following words:

"We hold these truths to be sacred & undeniable; that all men are created equal & independent, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent & inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, & liberty, & the pursuit of happiness "

They were "inalienable rights" which the Declaration says has been given to all human beings by their Creator.

Surely you've heard of it ?
"...created equal" & "given...by their Creator."  Never did the Founding Fathers intend for that sort of fairness and equality to be the constant state of the U.S., or else they would've written the communist manifesto instead. 

All you have to do is read anything Scalia, Alito and Thomas write to realize this isn't true.
Yawn.  Citizens United, the Obamacare decisions, the Gay Marriage challenge, etc.  Plenty of evidence of judicial activism at work there.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 04:02:40 PM »
Not trying to save his ass, just arguing that it should be off the table.
Why do you want Tsarnaev's ass on the table ?  Do you find him attractive, or something ?

The point is, the death penalty should be available for people like him.  Unless you think somehow the world would be a better place with him alive.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Tom Ace

• Star
  • Star
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 04:04:14 PM »
Yawn.  Citizens United, the Obamacare decisions, the Gay Marriage challenge, etc.  Plenty of evidence of judicial activism at work there.

Yawn.  Read anything those three have written, and you realize the court is definitely not too liberal.