Author Topic: SCOTUS gives conservatives small carrot  (Read 434 times)

Offline Tom Ace

• Star
  • Star
  • This is my personal text.
Re: SCOTUS gives conservatives small carrot
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 04:05:42 PM »
The point is, the death penalty should be available for people like him.  Unless you think somehow the world would be a better place with him alive.

I understand that point.  My point is that if you allow it at all, it can be abused.  It's not worth having it available for these extremely rare cases.

Offline Realityball

• Star
  • I like people ... but just one at a time
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 04:10:47 PM »
Why do you want Tsarnaev's ass on the table ?  Do you find him attractive, or something ?

The point is, the death penalty should be available for people like him.  Unless you think somehow the world would be a better place with him alive.

The world would be a better place with him alive. The terrorists are at their most powerful after they dead (in their minds).
Feed him rat poison and a glass of water but tell the sandbandits he's alive and well and reads NGS out loud ...

that'll piss 'em off

"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
— George Orwell

Offline wild-turkey

• Star
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 04:13:57 PM »
The world would be a better place with him alive. The terrorists are at their most powerful after they dead (in their minds).
Feed him rat poison and a glass of water but tell the sandbandits he's alive and well and reads NGS out loud ...

that'll piss 'em off

I'm thinking we make him a special cell that is surrounded by a pig farm and the interior has a painted mural of Muhammad eating shellfish.

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
  • PIV is always rape, ok?!
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »
Yawn.  Read anything those three have written, and you realize the court is definitely not too liberal.
Oh, they're terrible and horribly biased too.  But there's only three of them, and more than balanced out by Sotomayor, Kagan and Breyer.  Ginsburg's nearly as bad. 

That court's never healed from Stevens & Rehnquist leaving- those guys were conservative asses too, but at least they didn't compromise judicial integrity and their oath to the Constitution.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Realityball

• Star
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »
I'm thinking we make him a special cell that is surrounded by a pig farm and the interior has a painted mural of Muhammad eating shellfish.

Put the mural on a 8 foot ceiling so the little F*** could barely scratch it ...

"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
— George Orwell

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »
I would love to hear the argument on this.  Personally I think we should do away with the death penalty, but I don't really want it banned (there are a few extreme cases where it should be applied) and I don't see anyway you can argue the founding fathers were opposed to it.

The court has gotten way too liberal and I'm not saying that because of the current rulings I'm basing that statement on the fact that 2 justices would make the quoted statement.

We need the death penalty because we can't send them to the moon permanently
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
  • Pickems Record: 9999999-2
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 04:30:52 PM »
BT makes a very good argument against the death penalty. He used the wording in the Constitution itself.

I don't like the ruling but that is purely because I do not agree with the death penalty itself. For once Catholics and liberals are on the same side. How ironic.
All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 04:32:07 PM »
Oh, they're terrible and horribly biased too.  But there's only three of them, and more than balanced out by Sotomayor, Kagan and Breyer.  Ginsburg's nearly as bad. 

That court's never healed from Stevens & Rehnquist leaving- those guys were conservative asses too, but at least they didn't compromise judicial integrity and their oath to the Constitution.

Strong words.
All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Coach
  • PIV is always rape, ok?!
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 05:11:32 PM »
BT makes a very good argument against the death penalty. He used the wording in the Constitution itself.

I don't like the ruling but that is purely because I do not agree with the death penalty itself. For once Catholics and liberals are on the same side. How ironic.
Too bad.  God commands his people to kill all the time in the Bible, and for you that's a superceding document to the Constitution.  Pick up a rock and start a-bashing, or else be a hypocrite denied entrance to Heaven by St. Peter.

Strong words.
You didn't think Stevens and Rehnquist were more responsible than the Justices who came after them ?
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2015, 05:26:35 PM »
You didn't think Stevens and Rehnquist were more responsible than the Justices who came after them ?

I was just saying that your words were strong, I wasn't knocking what you said.

I think they were. But I don't have faith in 9 lawyers to interpret the Constitution for us and be correct every time, that's for sure. Those 9 lawyers can be anybody, they are still imperfect people.

Offline steelerssb

• His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular
  • Coach
  • Your ad here
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 05:45:33 PM »
Why do you want Tsarnaev's ass on the table ?  Do you find him attractive, or something ?

Prisons are overcrowded anyway. Granted much of that is due to that failed war on drugs, but no point in wasting money keeping scum like him alive. Maybe drop him into the jungle somewhere.
You have been banned from further use of this board. To dispute the ban, please email the CBS help desk.

pit1 pit2 pit3 missouri1 sea1

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 05:55:46 PM »
The Conservatives don't want a small carrot, though.

They want the big salami!!!  angel2
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline wmichskers

• Coach
  • Life is good
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »

Actually a Delmonico Steak grilled and smoked with mesquite and a cold beer ;)
nebraska1 det1 det2 det3 nebraska1

Offline geneh_33

• Icon
  • Psalm 46
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2015, 06:03:22 PM »

That works!

Offline Realityball

• Star
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »

Only a hayseed would smoke a Delmonico ...

— George Orwell

Offline wmichskers

• Coach
  • Life is good
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2015, 06:26:07 PM »
Only a hayseed would smoke a Delmonico ...

Unless you've tried it, don't be so cynical. I know what you're saying though..... kinda like mixing Crown with Coke ;)
nebraska1 det1 det2 det3 nebraska1

Offline Fish-on087

• Star
  • MKTF H.O.F inductees TG and Eliot R.I.P.
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2015, 06:39:11 PM »

Although I generally agree with BT when reading his posts, I cannot agree that this is a good argument to oppose the death penalty. citing verbiage from the constitution is strictly arbitrary in it's depiction of fact, that's why we have SCOTUS. For all the positive there are negatives in applying law

Here's an example, preservation of life, the right to liberty life and the pursuit of happiness. Has a distinct message but it is in the DECLARATION and not  the constitution, . When you commit a crime against the state and are convicted  you give up certain rights in the constitution. You become a product of the judicial system. Those inalienable rights are protection for a free state .

If the law requires the judicial system to determine criminal cases it must provide them with reasonable recourse, life or death. Juries as well as judges are entrusted this verdict. Change only comes from the legislative branch, not the judicial branch
The death penalty has been a staple of discipline since the beginning of time. This style of discipline , although brutal and seeming inhumane, is an effective deterrent of crime.

By the way 3 states still prescribe hanging as a method of execution.
Concrete shoes have no laces

Offline Scuzz

• King of Off-Topic...Master of His Own Domain
  • Coach
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2015, 06:51:48 PM »
Prisons are overcrowded anyway. Granted much of that is due to that failed war on drugs, but no point in wasting money keeping scum like him alive. Maybe drop him into the jungle somewhere.

or the middle of the Pacific with just a life preserver......and bacon
Being right is the least of my concerns.

Offline Scuzz

• King of Off-Topic...Master of His Own Domain
  • Coach
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2015, 06:52:36 PM »

not that there is anything wrong with that......
Being right is the least of my concerns.

Offline BuccinGator

• Star
  • Average Joe With an Opinion
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2015, 07:04:20 PM »
We need the death penalty because we can't send them to the moon permanently

But if we somehow got them there, they could never escape.
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Offline Realityball

• Star
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »
Unless you've tried it, don't be so cynical. I know what you're saying though..... kinda like mixing Crown with Coke ;)

Why would you TRY mixing Crown with Coke?

Lombardi maybe ...

But look what happened there ...

— George Orwell

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2015, 07:28:36 PM »
But if we somehow got them there, they could never escape.

My point. Separate them permanently from society. No parole, no support, no education. You are here til you die, today, tomorrow, 20 years from now.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline Realityball

• Star
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2015, 07:38:05 PM »
My point. Separate them permanently from society. No parole, no support, no education. You are here til you die, today, tomorrow, 20 years from now.

So what difference would it make to you then, if someone, like say BT, gave em a one-way kool-aid?

— George Orwell

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2015, 07:44:09 PM »
So what difference would it make to you then, if someone, like say BT, gave em a one-way kool-aid?

It doesn't.  I am pro capital punishment. Swift and terrible.  It is the only way we can punish capital crimes where there will be no second offenses. 

In order for a society to work, certain laws must be inviolable. Break them and you are permanently out of that society.
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Fish-on087

• Star
  • MKTF H.O.F inductees TG and Eliot R.I.P.
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2015, 07:45:39 PM »

KBUR, are you defining black segregation?, sure sounds like it
Concrete shoes have no laces