Author Topic: 2017 Stanley Cup Playoff Pickem Contest  (Read 802 times)

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Board Mod
  • Star
2017 Stanley Cup Playoff Pickem Contest
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:37:35 PM »
Hey all!

As many of you may have heard, I am going to run Coach's Stanley Cup pickem contest this year. Before I go any further I have to give a shout out to Coach and also Blitz. This whole thing is their game and I'm just keeping it rolling for another year (number six?). Besides, I gotta have something to do since I'm not going to be able to watch my Red Wings.  cryin

Newcomers and returners are both welcome! For those of you who have participated in this before, I am going to keep it very similar to the way that Coach has structured it the last couple years. A lot of what follows is copy and paste from Coach's 2014 thread.

For newcomers, the way this works is there will be 4 rounds of picks and scoring (one for each round of the NHL playoffs). You will be asked to pick the winner of each series, and in how many games they will win that series. In addition to that, you will pick from some secondary questions, such as: "Which team will have more shots on goal in the series?" "Will there be a shutout in the series?" etc. Edit (this is a clarification note that has come up in the past): Points can only be obtained for correctly picking the number of games if the series winner was also correctly predicted. So if the Red Wings were playing the Avalanche and you picked the Avalanche to win in 6 games but in reality the Red Wings won in 6 games, you would be awarded zero points.

We understand that some of you may not be familiar with all of the players as much as others, so the questions will be carefully chosen to match up players with similar stat lines and skill sets to keep it fair. My official source of stats throughout the contest will be NHL.com.

In the event of a tie in one of the secondary questions it will be thrown out so please pick an answer and not a tie (i.e. "Player A and Player B will have the same number of assists" is not valid).

Please respond in the order the questions are asked in order to help me score this quicker.  The easiest way to do this is to copy and paste the question lineup and post your picks alongside or bold them.

As we progress from one round to the next, the point values for the games and the questions will be increased since there are not as many games as in the prior round. There will also be one or more bonus questions for each round which will give you an opportunity to earn even more points.

Edit: The following tiebreakers will only apply to the final standings.
TB#1) The most series winners predicted correctly. (15 would be the most).
TB#2) The most correct picks on the exact number of total games played in each series. (again, 15 would be the most).
TB#3) The most correct picks excluding all bonus questions.
If somehow it is still tied after that, the contest will end in a tie.

Here are two of the most important rules...

1. Have your picks in before the puck drops for the first game of the first series in the round.

2. You may change a pick before a series starts, but you must make sure that you notify me of the change by creating a new post and not by editing your original one. If you modify/edit your original picks after that particular series has already started, none of those picks will count. This prevents any possible way of someone cheating.

The regular season comes to an end on Sunday, April 9 with the playoffs set to begin on April 12. That means the matchups will be set by that Sunday evening, and I should have the question lineup up soon after. You will have until April 12 when the first series starts to make your picks for round one.

If you have any questions just holler. Again, anyone and everyone is welcome so please tell your e-friends about it...BECAUSE IT'S THE CUP!!!

fight! faceoff! boarding! ber
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:54:56 AM by The_Muffin_Man »

Join the Quest for Infinity at: http://ngsforums.com/forums/index.php?board=189.0

Offline larry lava

• Star
  • RESPECT IS HUGE IN MY BOOKS
Re: 2017 Stanley Cup Playoff Pickem Contest
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »
Good Job MM....................I'm in............ ber
Respect is huge in my books

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
You're awesome MM, thanks for doing this.

I'll probably never be able to match 2012 in this game, that was a sweet one.  Thank you Dustin Penner!
If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »
Great job picking this up MM.
nym3 nyg1 notredame1 nyr2

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 09:11:36 PM »
Hi Foresy.  Will we meet in the playoffs for the 4th year in a row?

Looks like it would have to be for the ECF.  The Rangers will likely get to cross over to the Atlantic side of the bracket so it could happen.
If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 10:50:09 PM »
It sure could, I see us getting by the Habs

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 06:13:44 PM »
Another rule which the returning players know but I added to the OP for all new players: Points can only be obtained for correctly picking the number of games if the series winner was also correctly predicted. So if the Red Wings were playing the Avalanche and you picked the Avalanche to win in 6 games but in reality the Red Wings won in 6 games, you would be awarded zero points.

Anyone have any idea who won this thing last year?

Join the Quest for Infinity at: http://ngsforums.com/forums/index.php?board=189.0

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 07:27:41 PM »
So if the Red Wings were playing the Avalanche and you picked the Avalanche to win in 6 games but in reality the Red Wings won in 6 games, you would be awarded zero points.

Well done for bringing that rule up...........and I laughed at the two teams you choose...... ber

Anyone have any idea who won this thing last year?

I think it was Coach..........but not 100 % sure.......Blitz might know.

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 05:32:00 AM »
Not to toot my own horn, but it was me.  Along with my boys in black and gold..that was a fun spring!

Jack Lambert

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 11:27:41 AM »

Well done for bringing that rule up...........and I laughed at the two teams you choose...... ber

Gotta bring em in somehow. :P

Not to toot my own horn, but it was me.  Along with my boys in black and gold..that was a fun spring!

Wooo! ber

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 11:29:37 AM »
I am thinking about increasing the number of bonus questions to 7. One specific to each round, and three that will pertain to the entire playoffs and must be answered at the beginning (the traditional "pick the two Cup Final teams prior to the first round" will be one of these three). Gotta make sure I have good questions in mind though.

Any thoughts on this? Everything else I am envisioning as more or less the same.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:33:01 AM by The_Muffin_Man »

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »
Any thoughts on this? Everything else I am envisioning as more or less the same.

I'm good with what ever you decide to do.........you ALWAYS do a great job of running these leagues.............enjoy the Final game at the Joe.......really cool you will be with your Dad.

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline Coach

• Hall of Famer
  • Let's Go Caps!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »

I really can't remember who won last year, but I know you won the first one we ever had.
I just think if you were a two time winner of this, we would have heard more about that...lol.
duke1 memphis1  wsh1  wsh2  bal3

Offline Coach

• Hall of Famer
  • Let's Go Caps!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 01:18:37 PM »
I'm sure I have that log book at home somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Offline Coach

• Hall of Famer
  • Let's Go Caps!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »
I am thinking about increasing the number of bonus questions to 7. One specific to each round, and three that will pertain to the entire playoffs and must be answered at the beginning (the traditional "pick the two Cup Final teams prior to the first round" will be one of these three). Gotta make sure I have good questions in mind though.

Sounds good to me. Thanks again for stepping up!

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
LOL, I'm not a braggart Coach.

Jack Lambert

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 08:32:55 PM »
Sounds good to me. Thanks again for stepping up!

Hey, glad to help! Should be fun. I'm writing a spreadsheet to do a lot of the work for me. grin1

The part I want help with is recruiting people to play! I've never been much of a salesman, lol. So if you guys could help get the word out between now and next Wednesday I'd greatly appreciate it.

ber

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 11:19:13 PM »
I've never been much of a salesman,

Hire jp..................great Salesman and he will get folks to play........ ber

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline Coach

• Hall of Famer
  • Let's Go Caps!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »
LOL, I'm not a braggart Coach.

I know, bro. Just messing with ya.

Hey, glad to help! Should be fun. I'm writing a spreadsheet to do a lot of the work for me. grin1

The part I want help with is recruiting people to play! I've never been much of a salesman, lol. So if you guys could help get the word out between now and next Wednesday I'd greatly appreciate it.

ber

I forgot to look for those log books last night. I think I have the last few seasons somewhere.
If I can find them I can see who won those seasons, and I can see all of the people that have played in the past.
And I can send PM's them with the direct link to here.

In other news...

How about Ovi's stats this season? More assists than goals! 35 to 33.
And he's a +6 with only 305 shots on goal. Which is only about 3.8 per game (way down from average in his career).

Thanks again for that trade, Larry! grin1

With strange numbers like that, could this FINALLY be the year for my Caps?

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 11:54:31 AM »
Thanks again for that trade, Larry! grin1

With strange numbers like that, could this FINALLY be the year for my Caps?

Your welcome Coach............and you have a healthy for the Bronze Medal in the Frozen Pond.

MMjr and MMsr are having a great match for Gold......... ber

Good Luck for your Caps in the playoff's.....Hopefully the Presidents Cup Curse will not be there.

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 04:37:00 PM »
If I can find them I can see who won those seasons, and I can see all of the people that have played in the past.
And I can send PM's them with the direct link to here.

That would be awesome!

MMjr and MMsr are having a great match for Gold......... ber

MM Sr. is getting nervous, but I'm sure he will pull it out in the end. As Larry referenced we are both going to the last game ever at Joe Louis Arena on Sunday. I will post the pick slate right when I get back, but there is a special ceremony after the game so it won't be until pretty late Sunday night.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
Take your time I'll be in NY for the Rangers last game

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 11:50:40 AM »
One other rule I forgot to mention...tiebreakers! These tiebreakers will only apply to the final standings.
TB#1) The most series winners predicted correctly. (15 would be the most).
TB#2) The most correct picks on the exact number of total games played in each series. (again, 15 would be the most).
TB#3) The most correct picks excluding all bonus questions.
If somehow it is still tied after that, the contest will end in a tie.

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 08:40:25 PM »
Enjoy that historical night MM.  My first NHL games in person were at the "Joe."

Jack Lambert

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 11:48:24 PM »
It was awesome! Remind me and I'll share some more tomorrow.