Author Topic: 2017 Stanley Cup Playoff Pickem Contest  (Read 2553 times)

Offline wmichskers

• Coach
  • Life is good
Re: 2017 Stanley Cup Playoff Pickem Contest
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2017, 06:49:09 PM »
Here it is, your pick slate for Round 1!

Your picks are due in prior to the start of the first series in the round (Wednesday, April 12 at 7 PM). Remember, if you decide to change a pick between now and the 12th at 7 PM, please submit a NEW POST with your edits.

Don't forget to answer the bonus questions (total of 4) at the bottom! Have fun and good luck!

ROUND 1
Eastern Conference:

A1) Montréal Canadiens vs W1) New York Rangers
5 pts - Who wins the series?   Habs
5 pts - In how many games will that team win the series?  5
2 pts - Who will have more goals scored in the series, Max Pacioretty (MTL) or Chris Kreider (NYR)?  Max P
2 pts - Which goalie will have more saves in the series, Carey Price (MTL) or Henrik Lundqvist (NYR)?  Henrick L

A2) Ottawa Senators vs A3) Boston Bruins
5 pts - Who wins the series? Sens
5 pts - In how many games will that team win the series? 5
2 pts - Will there by any overtime games in the series (Yes or No)? No
2 pts - Which team will have the better Penalty Kill percentage?  Sens

M1) Washington Capitals vs W2) Toronto Maple Leafs
5 pts - Who wins the series?  Caps
5 pts - In how many games will that team win the series?  5
2 pts - Who will have more assists in the series, Evgeny Kuznetsov (WSH) or Mitchell Marner (TOR)?  Mitch M
2 pts - Which team will score the most goals in the first period in the series?  Caps

M2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs M3) Columbus Blue Jackets
5 pts - Who wins the series? Pens
5 pts - In how many games will that team win the series? 6
2 pts - Who will have more points in the series (goals + assists), Phil Kessel (PIT) or Cam Atkinson (CBJ)? Cam A
2 pts - Which team will have more shots on goal in the series? Pens

Western Conference:

P1) Anaheim Ducks vs W1) Calgary Flames
5 pts - Who wins the series? Flames
5 pts - In how many games will that team win the series?  7
2 pts - Who will have more goals scored in the series, Patrick Eaves (ANA) or Sean Monahan (CGY)?  Sean M
2 pts - Will there be any shutouts in this series, (Yes or No)?  yes

P2) Edmonton Oilers vs P3) San Jose Sharks
5 pts - Who wins the series? 
5 pts - In how many games will that team win the series?
2 pts - Who will have more assists in the series, Leon Draisaitl (EDM) or Brent Burns (SJS)?
2 pts - Will there be any overtime games in the series (Yes or No)?

C1) Chicago Blackhawks vs W2) Nashville Predators
5 pts - Who wins the series? Hawks
2 pts - Who will have more points in the series (goals + assists), Artemi Panarin (CHI) or Viktor Arvidsson (NSH)? Artemi P
2 pts - Which team will have the better Power Play %?  Hawks

C2) Minnesota Wild vs C3) St. Louis Blues
5 pts - Who wins the series? Wild
5 pts - In how many games will that team win the series? 7
2 pts - Which goalie will have a better Goals Against Average (GAA) for the series, Devan Dubnyk (MIN) or Jake Allen (STL)? Devin D
2 pts - Which team will score the most goals in the third period in the series? Wild

ROUND 1 BONUS QUESTION - This question pertains only to Round 1.
50 pts - How many total shutouts will occur in the round? (The correct answer will be a number between 0 and the maximum of 56 possible games in the round): 2

PLAYOFF BONUS QUESTIONS - These questions pertain to the ENTIRE Stanley Cup playoffs (I.e. all four rounds COMBINED). They must be answered BEFORE ROUND 1 STARTS.
50 or 10 pts - Which two teams will make the Stanley Cup Finals? (One from the East + one from the West. You must get both teams correct to be awarded 50 points, but if you get one team correct I will award 10 points): Habs and Hawks
50 pts - What will be the total number of games that take place throughout the entire playoffs? (All 15 series through all 4 rounds. For reference the minimum number of games possible is 60 [every series is a sweep] and the maximum number of games possible is 105 [every series goes 7 games]): 77
50 pts - How many total multi-goal games will be recorded throughout the entire playoffs? (A multi-goal game means that a single player scores more than one goal in the game. If two different players score multiple goals in the same game, that would count as 2 multi-goal games. Etc.):  7

Thanks Muffin Man for setting this up Too bad our Red Wind streak ended. Oh and Go Lakers ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:15:38 PM by wmichskers »
nebraska1 det1 det2 det3 nebraska1

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Site Moderator
  • Star
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2017, 08:51:50 PM »
Welcome wmichskers! Thanks for stopping by and GO LAKERS! Wooo! ber Whoops, looks like you missed a couple questions in the Oilers/Sharks series (I'm PM'ing you).

11 in so far, not bad!

I have decided to extend the deadline for entering your Round 1 picks until Friday, April 14 at 7 PM EST. This is the puck drop of Game 2 for two of the series. This will hopefully give a couple more stragglers time to find us and join up.

Also, when I get a chance I will be compiling everyone's picks in a spreadsheet and I intend to share it (or at least a screenshot of it) here. That will help you compare your picks side by side with those of the other contestants.

Join the Quest for Infinity at: http://ngsforums.com/forums/index.php?topic=24145

Offline larry lava

• Star
  • RESPECT IS HUGE IN MY BOOKS
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2017, 09:03:51 PM »
..............YAHOO wm is in............ ber
Respect is huge in my books

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline CMC18V

• Hates stupid people!!!
  • Star
  • I see what you did there!
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2017, 10:07:28 PM »
Here it is, your pick slate for Round 1!

Your picks are due

ROUND 1
Eastern Conference:

A1) Montréal Canadiens vs W1) New York Rangers
5 pts - Who wins the series? Rags
5 pts - In how many games will that team win the series?7
2 pts - Who will have more goals scored in the series, Max Pacioretty (MTL) or Chris Kreider (NYR)? Kreisler
2 pts - Which goalie will have more saves in the series, Carey Price (MTL) or Henrik Lundqvist (NYR)?
Price
A2) Ottawa Senators vs A3) Boston Bruins
5 pts - Who wins the series? Senators
5 pts - In how many games will that team win the series?6
2 pts - Will there by any overtime games in the series (Yes or No)?yes
2 pts - Which team will have the better Penalty Kill percentage? Senators

M1) Washington Capitals vs W2) Toronto Maple Leafs
5 pts - Who wins the series? Caps
5 pts - In how many games will that team win the series? 4
2 pts - Who will have more assists in the series, Evgeny Kuznetsov (WSH) or Mitchell Marner (TOR)? Manner
2 pts - Which team will score the most goals in the first period in the series?Caps

M2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs M3) Columbus Blue Jackets
5 pts - Who wins the series? Blue Jackets
2 pts - Who will have more points in the series (goals + assists), Phil Kessel (PIT) or Cam Atkinson (CBJ)? Kessel
2 pts - Which team will have more shots on goal in the series? Pens

Western Conference:

P1) Anaheim Ducks vs W1) Calgary Flames
5 pts - Who wins the series? Ducks
2 pts - Who will have more goals scored in the series, Patrick Eaves (ANA) or Sean Monahan (CGY)? Eaves
2 pts - Will there be any shutouts in this series, (Yes or No)? Yes

P2) Edmonton Oilers vs P3) San Jose Sharks
5 pts - Who wins the series? Oilers
2 pts - Who will have more assists in the series, Leon Draisaitl (EDM) or Brent Burns (SJS)?Burns
2 pts - Will there be any overtime games in the series (Yes or No)? Yes

C1) Chicago Blackhawks vs W2) Nashville Predators
5 pts - Who wins the series? Hawks
2 pts - Who will have more points in the series (goals + assists), Artemi Panarin (CHI) or Viktor Arvidsson (NSH)? Tie
2 pts - Which team will have the better Power Play %?Hawks

C2) Minnesota Wild vs C3) St. Louis Blues
5 pts - Who wins the series?Wild
2 pts - Which goalie will have a better Goals Against Average (GAA) for the series, Devan Dubnyk (MIN) or Jake Allen (STL)? Dubnyk
2 pts - Which team will score the most goals in the third period in the series?Wild

50 pts - How many total shutouts will occur in the round? (The correct answer will be a number between 0 and the maximum of 56 possible games in the round): 6

PLAYOFF BONUS QUESTIONS - These questions pertain to the ENTIRE Stanley Cup playoffs (I.e. all four rounds COMBINED). They must be answered BEFORE ROUND 1 STARTS.
50 or 10 pts - Which two teams will make the Stanley Cup Finals? (One from the East + one from the West. You must get both teams correct to be awarded 50 points, but if you get one team correct I will award 10 points):
50 pts - What will be the total number of games that take place throughout the entire playoffs? (All 15 series through all 4 rounds. For reference the minimum number of games possible is 60 [every series is a sweep] and the maximum number of games possible is 105 [every series goes 7 games]):82
50 pts - How many total multi-goal games will be recorded throughout the entire playoffs? (A multi-goal game means that a single player scores more than one goal in the game. If two different players score multiple goals in the same game, that would count as 2 multi-goal games. Etc.):14
If someone tells you they don't like fighting in hockey every other word out of their mouth might be a lie.

Offline PainMongers75

• It's just a hill - get over it.
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 10:25:20 PM »
Also, when I get a chance I will be compiling everyone's picks in a spreadsheet and I intend to share it (or at least a screenshot of it) here. That will help you compare your picks side by side with those of the other contestants.

Cool - I was hoping we'd be able to see that.   ber

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2017, 10:41:16 PM »
CMC...........hello long time no chat.........hope all is well......... ber

You forgot your TWO Stanley Cup Final Teams..........

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Site Moderator
  • Star
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2017, 06:13:09 AM »
I'll drop him a PM as well. ber

Join the Quest for Infinity at: http://ngsforums.com/forums/index.php?topic=24145

Offline CMC18V

• Hates stupid people!!!
  • Star
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2017, 06:16:25 AM »
Caps vs Hawks
Did it all on my phone. Surprised that's all I missed
If someone tells you they don't like fighting in hockey every other word out of their mouth might be a lie.

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Site Moderator
  • Star
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2017, 11:17:32 AM »
Caps vs Hawks
Did it all on my phone. Surprised that's all I missed

You also picked one of the props for Hawks-Preds as a tie. If it does indeed end in a tie I will be throwing the question out as stated in the OP on page 1, so I'd advise that you update that pick as well.

But yeah everything else looks good. Thanks for playing! ber

Offline CMC18V

• Hates stupid people!!!
  • Star
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »
I'll roll with my tie. Same points as everyone who picked when they tie. It's an intimidation tactic letting Larry know I'm on my game!

Offline Coach

• Coach
  • Hey Ted...DON'T TRADE ME!!!
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2017, 02:29:14 PM »
I'll roll with my tie. Same points as everyone who picked when they tie. It's an intimidation tactic letting Larry know I'm on my game!

Too funny! Where you guys hangin' out these days?
duke1 memphis1  wsh1  wsh2  bal3

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Site Moderator
  • Star
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »

LOL

Sounds good!

T-minus 22 more hours to get your picks in for Round 1. Locks tomorrow at 7 PM EST (puck drop of the first game tomorrow).

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2017, 09:00:43 PM »
Only picker to take the Leafs, not surprised.  Looked like a genius early in the 1st period..now we'll have to sweat it out.  OT.
Don't give up.  Don't ever give up.

If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

Jim Valvano

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline theJrnyconts

• Hail to The Victors
  • Hall of Famer
  • Mr. Wildlife
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2017, 09:52:05 PM »
50 pts - How many total shutouts will occur in the round? (The correct answer will be a number between 0 and the maximum of 56 possible games in the round):

56!!

Darn I'm late to the party.
I post for food or money...thank you

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Site Moderator
  • Star
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2017, 06:11:10 AM »
50 pts - How many total shutouts will occur in the round? (The correct answer will be a number between 0 and the maximum of 56 possible games in the round):

56!!

Darn I'm late to the party.

I am still accepting picks until 7 PM EST tonight! You can get in on the action if you hurry!

Offline Coach

• Coach
  • Hey Ted...DON'T TRADE ME!!!
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2017, 08:19:57 AM »
Only picker to take the Leafs, not surprised.  Looked like a genius early in the 1st period..now we'll have to sweat it out.  OT.

Tom Wilson! Would have been my last player picked to score a game winner.
How bout Justin Williams? That's why we traded for him last year. So clutch in the playoffs.
duke1 memphis1  wsh1  wsh2  bal3

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »
JEZZ...............one game in for each team and there has been 2 shut-outs all ready.

YIKES I picked 3 total.

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
It's an intimidation tactic letting Larry know I'm on my game!

LOL.............good stuff CMC.........it is nice to see you playing........ ber

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
...................THIS IS LAME BY THE NHL................

There is only ONE game on Saturday April 15th and it's on @ NOON my time......... lame1

NO
Saturday Night Hockey in Canada and it is the Playoff's.............. wtf

BTW Ottawa plays Boston @ 3pm EST.

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Site Moderator
  • Star
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2017, 04:59:08 PM »
ONE HOUR LEFT TO GET YOUR PICKS IN!

There is only ONE game on Saturday April 15th and it's on @ NOON my time......... lame1

Wait Larry, unless I'm missing something I'm seeing four games tomorrow? Boston at Ottawa during the day then all 3 other series besides those that are playing tonight, play in the evening.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:56:10 PM by The_Muffin_Man »

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Site Moderator
  • Star
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2017, 05:53:03 PM »
Also, Coach pointed out to me that one of the prop questions is already decided. In the Oilers-Sharks series, one of the prop questions I asked was "will there be any overtime games in the series?" It turned out that Game 1 of that series went to overtime. Because that occurred before all of our twelve contestants had made picks, I am throwing that question out.

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Site Moderator
  • Star
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »
Picks are now locked for Round 1. 12 participants - not bad!

As promised, here is a screenshot showing all of your picks in table form. This is from my spreadsheet that I will also use to automatically calculate the scores.

Click on the images to make them bigger. There are two screenshots, one for Round 1 and one for the overall playoff bonus questions. Note that the picks are automatically calculated as "incorrect" since the correct picks have not yet been determined.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:20:30 PM by The_Muffin_Man »

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2017, 08:15:56 PM »
Wait Larry, unless I'm missing something I'm seeing four games tomorrow? Boston at Ottawa during the day then all 3 other series besides those that are playing tonight, play in the evening.

YES my Bad MM..........I was reading the Local paper this morning and they only had one game published for tomorrow..........sorry for the bad reporting.

Great job doing the Spreadsheet's......... ber

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
.......................NO MORE SHUT-OUTS..........................

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline larry lava

• Star
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2017, 11:03:07 PM »
...............................DAMN..................................

4 Shut Outs and Blitz is up to bat......................... ber

Can you believe Chicago has not scored a goal yet..........YIKES.

ten1   van2   wsh3