Author Topic: Official, Dale Jr. to retire at end of season  (Read 487 times)

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
  • Home is where my treestand is
Official, Dale Jr. to retire at end of season
« on: April 25, 2017, 08:29:13 AM »
Many of us here long speculated it after the concussion issues of last season, but it was officially announced today that Dale Jr. will retire at the end of the 2017 season.

It's a bittersweet day for me as a Jr. Nation member since 1999.  Glad he is leaving on his own terms and hopefully with most of his health intact.  Sad that I won't be able to watch him on Sundays any longer after this season

Will still support all the JRM endeavors, but now accepting offers for joining a new fan club....
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 hou4

Offline Section_725

• Star
  • Try Not! Do! Or Do Not! There Is No Try!
Re: Official, Dale Jr. to retire at end of season
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:06:10 AM »
This was a bit surprising, but makes sense. He doesn't need money, and why risk his health at this point. He had a pretty good career assuming you take away the expectations of being the son of one of the all time greats.
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »
I know what you mean.  I am certain that Kenseth is not far away from retirement.  I am guessing that with his contract ending at the end of the season it could be a possibility this year.  If not he might sign a one year extension.

Jr. has been an entertaining figure in NASCAR.  He will be missed by many fans.  I wish he had done some things differently over his career, but he made his choices.  Overall he had a good career, and IMO escaped the shadow of his father to be himself.

Sometimes it can be difficult to find a new driver, sometimes not.  It will be interesting to see where the fans of Jr. Nation end up.  They certainly will not be all together.
   mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Offline bondkbond

• Coach
  • Bar Tab Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »

Will still support all the JRM endeavors, but now accepting offers for joining a new fan club....

Well Bear, there's plenty of room in cheesehead/Kenseth country! Best part of it, SoCal buys the beer all season long!

Not sure who I'll back after he retires. I like that young Elliott kid.
Purebred Cheesehead

Offline mikeyfan5599

• Icon
  • 37 Ford
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 11:59:24 AM »
Bear, I think the Larson kid would be a solid choice to back.  I would love for him to join a Toyota team, Don't be surprised to see him in the 88 shortly.  The kid has that "it" factor when it comes to driving and I think he is going to be a multi-time cup winner myself. 
car2 atl3 den1 arkansas1

Offline Super28

• Star
  • You say "Pervert" like it's a bad thing!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 12:56:26 PM »
Not a big deal. We still have Allie! grin1
28  2  22   21 hiya

Offline Super28

• Star
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »
Bear, I think the Larson kid would be a solid choice to back.  I would love for him to join a Toyota team, Don't be surprised to see him in the 88 shortly.  The kid has that "it" factor when it comes to driving and I think he is going to be a multi-time cup winner myself. 

I thought Kenseth already reported his retirement at the end of the year!?!
28  2  22   21 hiya

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 02:27:24 PM »
I think the writing has been on the wall, at least for a bit.  Last year especially, he has been spending a lot more time with the business side of JRM and even started hosting the main podcast from the JRM website....it seems like he is enjoying that side of it a lot more these days which probably made this decision easier for him.

I'm hoping with more time to spend on the business/ownership side, this may be the start of putting serious effort into moving JRM to the Cup Series.  Until then, guess I'll be weighing my options

Another side of this, I'm wondering how attendance/ratings for the rest of the season will be...as well as next season...is the Dale Jr. effect as large on the sport as some think or does it all come out even?
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 hou4

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
  • Most Loyal Fans In Racing - The "Rowdy" Nation
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 02:51:13 PM »
Moving JRM to the cup side will never happen. Rick Hendrick owns a large percentage of JRM and his young drivers drive for them and the HMS flag emblem is not on any Xfinity series cars although the engines come from the HMS facilities, and the drivers there are under contract with HMS like William Byron is. So that is not an option, also Chevrolet just doesn't have the money and sponsorship is coming up short for every big team.

You can not name one big team that doesn't have issues with this including HMS. 

I think he will end up in a TV booth for ratings, he will still continue to ride the money train...  Spikes.
Kyle"Rowdy"Busch 2015 Sprint Cup Champion !

Offline Ben Rinaldi

• NASCAR Pick 3 Manager
  • Board Mod
  • Star
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
I think a lot of us saw this coming.  The biggest reason Dale came back this year was to go out on his own terms and it's the right move to make from a long term health standpoint.

I will say I had no idea what it was going to be like when Gordon retired, but I honestly haven't missed him one bit rooing for Kyle Larson each week.  That kid has made racing so much fun to watch for me the last two years and I realy hope he stays with Ganassi.  He's said numerous times how he constantly remembers the teams who rejected him because he didn't bring a sponsor with him and how Chip was the only owner who simply wanted him for his talent and nothing else.  It's really great to see them outrunning the Hendrick stable just about every week this year and he's found the right crew chief pairing with Chad Johnston.

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 02:58:23 PM »
I think a lot of us saw this coming.  The biggest reason Dale came back this year was to go out on his own terms and it's the right move to make from a long term health standpoint.

I will say I had no idea what it was going to be like when Gordon retired, but I honestly haven't missed him one bit rooing for Kyle Larson each week.  That kid has made racing so much fun to watch for me the last two years and I realy hope he stays with Ganassi.  He's said numerous times how he constantly remembers the teams who rejected him because he didn't bring a sponsor with him and how Chip was the only owner who simply wanted him for his talent and nothing else.  It's really great to see them outrunning the Hendrick stable just about every week this year and he's found the right crew chief pairing with Chad Johnston.

Chevrolet had no choice but to help Ganassi get everything they needed to get Larson competitive, he had the talent not the cars, but losing SHR put them in a corner and yepper to my surprise they came out swinging. I knew Johnson would win 4 to 6 races and he will, but Larson can also win 4 or more so Chevrolet is in good shape. TRD losing Carl the way they did really hurt the whole program and it showed and showing. RCR winning this year was a big fluke and they will win again in about 4 years the same way.....   Spikes.

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 05:39:27 PM »
Idk, I could see them coming up as a sort of satellite operation like FRR has been w/ RCR first and then JGR.  It is all about sponsorship though....JRM has developed itself a nice niche in Xfinity racing.  The most frustrating part for Jr. that he's talked about during interviews is not being able to get more seat time for guys like Josh Berry and Alex Bowman because the sponsorship isn't there, which like you said Spikes is something the sport as a whole is continuing to struggle with.

It will be interesting to see who ends up in the 88 next season...not sure who is going to be a free agent, but I think rushing Byron into the car would be a mistake.  I could them using Bowman as a filler for a year until Byron gets more experience, he filled in for Jr. pretty well last season.  But again, the decision will likely be driven by sponsorship

The whole Ganassi camp has shown great improvement this year, even Jamie Mac is running better than he has been in recent years.  Not sure what clicked at that team, but whatever they did is working out for both drivers
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 hou4

Offline Section_725

• Star
  • Try Not! Do! Or Do Not! There Is No Try!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »
Another side of this, I'm wondering how attendance/ratings for the rest of the season will be...as well as next season...is the Dale Jr. effect as large on the sport as some think or does it all come out even?
This sport survived when Richard Petty, David Pearson, the Allisons, Cale Yarborough, Darrell Waltrip and many others retired. It survived losing drivers like Neil Bonnett and Dale Earnhardt, it will survive just fine without Jr.
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 06:28:23 PM »
This sport survived when Richard Petty, David Pearson, the Allisons, Cale Yarborough, Darrell Waltrip and many others retired. It survived losing drivers like Neil Bonnett and Dale Earnhardt, it will survive just fine without Jr.

Could not agree more, I saw everyone you name retire.... and two of them killed. It will survive losing Jr. too, but he will be around many years. Just not behind the wheel. Spikes.

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »
I guess we can see who gains the most twitter followers to find out how Jr. Nation disperses to other drivers lol
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:07:29 PM by BearDawg »
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 hou4

Offline larry lava

• Star
  • RESPECT IS HUGE IN MY BOOKS
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 10:09:32 PM »
Not a big deal. We still have Allie! grin1

I agree Super........that is a HUGE rear end with a couple of Extra Large Head Lights.
Respect is huge in my books

ten1   van2   wsh3

Offline Cookie

• LNU's Favorite Snacky!
  • Rookie
  • made ya look
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 07:54:23 AM »
This isn't really anything about Jr retiring but considering he just announced it, it makes this video tribute to his dad seem a little more

one of the radio stations out of Jackson shared it on facebook this morning

If you trust your rebel heart, ride it into battle
Don't be afraid, take the road less traveled
Wear out your boots and kick up the gravel
Don't be afraid, take the road less traveled on

Offline Super28

• Star
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 04:59:38 PM »
Heard Ricky Bobbie was taken his place. Sure he'll do better!!
28  2  22   21 hiya

Offline BearDawg

• Triple Black Belt
  • Star
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
shake and bake!
texasa&m1 tex3 dal1 hou4

Offline bondkbond

• Coach
  • Bar Tab Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 10:47:30 AM »
Bowman to the 88. I don't think Hendrick will benefit there
Purebred Cheesehead

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 11:15:44 AM »
Alex should have won at Phoenix last year, dominated the race but got pushed back by a late race caution.  I think with more time he will get some wins in the 88.

Offline Super28

• Star
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 09:37:49 AM »
I think it's going to be William Byron grin1
28  2  22   21 hiya

Offline bondkbond

• Coach
  • Bar Tab Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »
That's what I thought too Super but they announced Bowman. Foos       ber
Purebred Cheesehead

Offline SpikesRowdy18

• Star
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »
That's what I thought too Super but they announced Bowman. Foos       ber

Not a total surprise that Bowman got the ride, he's been on Mr.H's payroll all year this year to test.
Thing is, is Byron ready to take the #5 in 2018 or does Matt get that ride for a year. Interesting... 

OK... Breaking News ! and this is a garage rumor, as you all know I have been right on some of these in the past, but this one is going around.

FRR #77 car... Barney Vissar has said he will drop his 2nd team if he can not find sponsorship, Toyota does not want that to happen !
THIS IS THE RUMOR !
Paul Menard and his father are tired of pack running in the #27, Mr. Menard still believes his son can drive and has stated they may leave RCR for under performing. Their contract is up and everything is pointing to Furniture Row Racing where the Menard family money is going and Paul as the driver.
If RCR can find sponsorship for Ty they will bring him into RCR, if not and sponsorship has been thin at the cup level TY will stay with Germain.
But Toyota is on board with the Menard move as it keeps the factory Toyota team next year at 6 cars.
So you heard it here first ! If I am wrong I will say so ! But this one is getting louder by the day, especially at Indy this weekend. Spikes.   
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:14:37 PM by SpikesRowdy18 »

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »
Menards to FRR.  Yeah I could see that.