Author Topic: The Mystery of the Disappearing Threads  (Read 433 times)

Offline Skydawg

• Ayotolla of Rock n Rolla!
The Mystery of the Disappearing Threads
« on: April 28, 2017, 01:33:05 AM »
First we lost LNU Trophy Case in the latest crash and now The Neverending Song Game has disappeared.
Where did they go? I have no idea. When I send Administrator a PM I get no response. Has Fog disappeared too? Does no one even care anymore?  What's your theory?

Offline Cookie

• LNU's Favorite Snacky!
  • Rookie
  • made ya look
Re: The Mystery of the Disappearing Threads
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 02:08:01 AM »
I've seen Fog online just about every day. Not sure if he checks his PM's or not

I honestly wonder if they even care anymore. My guess is NO.

If you trust your rebel heart, ride it into battle
Don't be afraid, take the road less traveled
Wear out your boots and kick up the gravel
Don't be afraid, take the road less traveled on

Offline BowTimeRowdy

• LNU's Chick Magnet!
  • Backup
  • Go Rowdy !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »
Hey Sky, Cookie.

It sure has been disappointing to say the least. First off our LNU thread gets deleted mysteriously (like a year ago?) and even tho a whole lot of the posts got recovered we lost a bunch, and on this latest crash we lost our LNU Trophy Case and  like 2 years of posts, then the Song Game just lately. ..of all we lost, the one that hurts the most in my opinion is The Trophy Case.

Theories? I have none. Just thought I'd chime in so you know I care about what's been going on.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline Skydawg

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 12:41:28 AM »
Hey Sky, Cookie.

It sure has been disappointing to say the least. First off our LNU thread gets deleted mysteriously (like a year ago?) and even tho a whole lot of the posts got recovered we lost a bunch, and on this latest crash we lost our LNU Trophy Case and  like 2 years of posts, then the Song Game just lately. ..of all we lost, the one that hurts the most in my opinion is The Trophy Case.

Theories? I have none. Just thought I'd chime in so you know I care about what's been going on.
Disappointing indeed BTR. The lack of response especially.
I do have all the baseball and football league records but it appears all else from LNU Trophy Case is lost forever.
Much like Neverending Song Game, there is just no interest from the powers that be.
I'm sorry.

Offline bricktop

• "pud"
  • Hey, where's Big Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:56:08 AM »
And now for my next magical trick....

Wanna see me pull a rabbit outta my hat?

Another brick in the wall is just what this place needs.

Online blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Prayers for Ryan Shazier
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 12:49:18 PM »
I'm sorry your threads disappeared.  It was tough on all of us, as a lot of boards lost content that was important to them.  I'm grateful though, that we are back up and running and have a place to post again.  Fog put in quite a bit of work to make that happen.

If you had said something in the mod area, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would have tried to help.
Don't give up.  Don't ever give up.

If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

Jim Valvano

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 08:17:13 PM »
Perhaps it isn't my place, and if anyone feels that way, please accept my apologies in advance, however the hours and hours and hours that were spent, hours of free-time that could have been spent doing anything else, trying to put as much of the site back together as possible, is, at least to me, the diametric opposite of "no interest."  Furthermore, there is a lot of difference between "no interest" and not being able to do any more than what was done.  To reiterate blitz's point, every single forum on this site lost a great deal in the last debacle.  MKTF, for example, lost the final posts of two of our original members (going back to 2009 on cBS) and the tributes we held in their memory.  A couple of the newer forums lost a majority of what they had.  There was a lot of disappointment, yet there was also a lot of gratitude for all the effort made to replace everything that could be found.

If an initial pm got no response (people are human, they miss things, forget things, what have you), a follow-up pm, a pm to someone else, or as blitz suggested, a post in the mod/admin area would have certainly received a response, and perhaps, if nothing else, the mystery of how the Song Game thread was deleted could have been solved.  Beyond that one pm, and, again, people are human, it is difficult to respond to an issue when one has no knowledge there is an issue.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Administrator
  • Coach
  • Selfies R Cool
  • Pickems Record: 12/16
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 09:57:51 PM »
For what it's worth...

I do care...

As far as lost posts...I have over a thousand different folders with millions of posts.

It's VERY VERY time consuming to find a needle in a hay stack and when time permits I'm going to restore as much as I can.

I'm not going to find or restore every last one so with that said it will never be fully restored.
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline bricktop

• "pud"
  • Hey, where's Big Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 12:38:25 AM »
I'll bet F&L could find it all in 1/2 hour with both his eyes closed while juggling boiled turkeys with his feet, using dial up modem...

so there....

Offline Skydawg

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 01:46:24 AM »
...and then Late Night Underground disappeared from the main board.

As advised I requested information in the Moderator section. No response.

LNU was later found in the General Chat section. No explanation.

Offline Skydawg

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 01:47:44 AM »
...and then I disappeared.

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
...and then Late Night Underground disappeared from the main board.

As advised I requested information in the Moderator section. No response.

LNU was later found in the General Chat section. No explanation.

I saw your post asking where the thread was and what was going on (this was a few days ago), but by that time you had already found the thread, and Fog had responded to you he was trying out some new things.  I went to find those posts to reference, but it appears now the thread really is gone.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Site Moderator
  • Star
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 11:50:42 AM »
Are there still changes going on or have we settled back in now?

What drove this latest round of changes? Did the site go down again a couple weeks ago and I missed it? (separate from the other time a couple months ago)

Having run a forum site myself in the past I understand how much work it can be. Would be willing to help if at all possible. But mostly just trying to understand - don't want to step on any toes.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:54:32 AM by The_Muffin_Man »

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 12:54:12 PM »
I can't answer your questions, Muffin Man...
I just wanted to say thank you for always putting a smile on my face.

Thank you!!!
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Online blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Prayers for Ryan Shazier
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 08:03:03 AM »
Hey MM,

I don't think there was a specific event that was the catalyst for these changes, just Fog making some adjustments to experiment and try a new board combination.  Going from his post in the LNU thread (which was deleted), he mentioned wanting to streamline some of the more popular threads in one area to garner more views, hopefully.
Don't give up.  Don't ever give up.

If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

Jim Valvano

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline The_Muffin_Man

• Just Me
  • Site Moderator
  • Star
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »
I can't answer your questions, Muffin Man...
I just wanted to say thank you for always putting a smile on my face.

Thank you!!!

ber

Hey MM,

I don't think there was a specific event that was the catalyst for these changes, just Fog making some adjustments to experiment and try a new board combination.  Going from his post in the LNU thread (which was deleted), he mentioned wanting to streamline some of the more popular threads in one area to garner more views, hopefully.

If that is the case I would like to provide some feedback. Do with it what you will. grin1 (If there is a different place specifically for feedback, please direct me there)

- I like the idea of streamlining some of the areas. For instance, my Count to Infinity area basically just had the one thread. I like that thread being pinned in an area that other people are also visiting.

- I like the removal of the home page (i.e. the main page is now the main forum page).

- We need some upcoming events! grin1

- I like that the default color scheme is now light text on dark background, vs. dark text on light background. Probably just a personal eye preference I suppose.

- In my opinion it is a bit confusing to have a "General Message Board" as a sub-board of "NGS General Chat." I myself have clicked on the wrong one a few times while trying to find the Count to Infinity from the main forum page. Perhaps these boards could be combined and/or some of the threads moved to other places.

- I like the sidebar feed of all recent posts on the site. I'm not as sure about the other ones showing recent posts in a particular area. It just seems like a lot of feeds especially as they are on both sides of the page.

- It seems like there are still a lot of different forums related to the NFL. I think this is one area where the exact kind of streamlining you/Fog alluded to could be done. Paging through these areas it looks like the only teams with active areas are the ones on the home page - Vikings, Packers, and Patriots (I understand that a lot of posts were lost and there could be others active at least during the season). To me it would make sense to have a single NFL board with all the discussions in one, except for the Vikings Packers and Patriots areas which could be sub-forums of this NFL area (just like how the MLB board is currently set up).

Just my two cents. :)