Author Topic: Blitz & Cali's Bookshelf  (Read 222 times)

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Blitz & Cali's Bookshelf
« on: June 29, 2017, 07:00:13 PM »

This is a place for those who like to read to share what they are reading currently, some personal favorites, or anything related to literature.  (No pictorial magazines, BC.)

I'll read just about anything, but my favorite genre is historical nonfiction, primarily anything related to geopolitics or foreign relations from around the end of the 19th century to present.  Biographies and memoirs are a big part of this.

It can be hard for me to find the time to read sometimes, but I try to hammer out 50 pages or so at least 3-4 times a week.

We are your hosts, Blitz and Cali..have a seat by the fire.  blitz1 cali1
Don't give up.  Don't ever give up.

If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

Jim Valvano

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
Re: Blitz & Cali's Bookshelf
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 07:57:12 PM »
Have a seat by the fire, but please bring me and blitz a drink, first.  grin1

I'm currently finishing a biography of J Robert Oppenheimer called American Prometheus.  It's fantastic, which makes sense, since it won the Pulitzer the year it was published.

Up next, I think it's time for a reread of my favorite Steinbeck novel (and Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors ... few paint with words the way he does, imo) East of Eden.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 10:10:54 AM »
I think I remember you saying you were going to read that book..glad it lived up to your expectations.  My mother loves East of Eden.  She has trouble reading these days as her vision has gone downhill.  I was thinking of sending her an e-reader.  Never used one..do you know if they can zoom the text larger?  I'd assume they do.

I'm currently reading another Robert Gates book, From The Shadows, about the last 25 years of the Cold War and his perspective on it from being in the CIA, and working for many presidents.  I sought it out after reading his more recent memoir, Duty.

If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

Jim Valvano

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:58:35 AM »
Currently wading through "Why Does the World Exist?" by Jim Holt.  It is a non-fiction search for the answer to Why is there something instead of nothing?  It is an existential detective story(his words).  He interviews physicists, mathematicians, philosophers etc in his search for an answer.  Ot gets pretty mindblowing at times and I am pushed to do a chapter in one sitting.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »
Yeah, I had it for a little while before I started it, then started it, loved it, but got sidetracked by something else, so it took me a while to get back to it.

I know nothing about e-readers.  My mama's best friend, however, is losing her sight ... can't even drive herself anymore, and reading is one of her favorite things in the world.  I'm not sure what she has, but she has something that makes it so she can still read.  I know there are different ways loss of vision can manifest itself (you know, just like when someone needs glasses, they're different depending on whether someone is near-sighted or far-sighted), so my guess is there are different kinds of devices that help with different kinds of deterioration of vision.  I bet with a little research you could find something that would help with your mom's specific challenge.  I just know it was huge for Ruth Anne to be able to continue to read.  She said she'd tried books on tape, and those were better than nothing, but she really, really wanted to read.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »
I've heard of From the Shadows, blinky, and I love Cold War stuff.

Currently wading through "Why Does the World Exist?" by Jim Holt.  It is a non-fiction search for the answer to Why is there something instead of nothing?  It is an existential detective story(his words).  He interviews physicists, mathematicians, philosophers etc in his search for an answer.  Ot gets pretty mindblowing at times and I am pushed to do a chapter in one sitting.

Oh, wow.  That sounds phenomenal.  I'd say I'd put it on my list, but now that this thread is here, I can just refer to this thread before the next time I go to the bookstore.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Jedi

• GO BADGERS !!!
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 03:15:47 PM »
Meow   anklebiter1
   mil3   gb1   wisconsin1  mil4  det2

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 05:03:54 PM »
Heeheehee ... hey, Jedi!
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline River Rat

• Home of 2017 Rats Cup
  • Super Mod
  • Coach
  • Too old for this $&#@
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 06:55:47 PM »
For me, anything World War II related.  I think I've read about every major battle ever fought ..... twice.  grin1  I'm currently reading Voices From D-Day.  This book has a 1 or 2 paragraph memory before, during, or after the battle from the people that were there.  It's a compilation of everyone from Generals to Privates, and from American, British, Canadian and German.

In a related story, I'm working on arranging a breakfast with a gentleman from the church I go to.  He is 92 years old, when he was 19, he was in the Navy serving on an LST. (Landing Ship Tank - or as the old sailors called it, a Large Stationary Target.)  But on June 6th, 1944 he was also a coxswain of a landing craft at Omaha beach.  He said if I was interested, he would start at basic training and go from there.   

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 07:39:33 PM »
Wow, RiverRat (hi, btw), what a huge honor it would be to get to sit and shoot the breeze with a WWII vet!!!
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 09:06:34 PM »
Hello folks, thanks for stopping by!

Yeah that's a great opportunity RR.  I bet you could sit and listen all day to his stories.  So many of those guys never had much of a chance storming those beaches..they are the true heroes.

Jim Valvano

Jack Lambert

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
Not a book, but assuming many of you enjoy documentaries.. Ric Burns' New York: A Documentary Film is by far the best I've ever seen.  It originally aired on PBS in 1999 and 2001, and then the last episode was released in 2003, after 9/11.

Eight episodes in all, but it doesn't feel long or boring at all.  Makes you want to watch even more.

Jim Valvano

Jack Lambert

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »
Change of plans ...

As I was looking at my bookshelves, I realized I had never finished Brideshead Revisited, (yep, Li'l Miss Loves Classic Lit. somehow managed not to finish it years ago ... no idea why ... I recall really enjoying it) so I'm finishing it, now.  I'm not sure where I'll go from there, although I'm thinking I may put rereads on hold for a little while.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »
Been reading the reprint of the Sherlock Holmes Strand publication stories.  37 shorts and Hound of the Baskervilles
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Coach
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 03:15:29 AM »
Been reading playboy special editions....well....all that's printed there is copyrights....lol.  How you guys doing ?
wsh1  pit2  wsh1  atl3  wsh1

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 03:49:51 PM »
Haha, hey Chuck..no pictorial magazines!

Okay, I finished From The Shadows, next up will be Green Against Green: The Irish Civil War by Michael Hopkinson.

Jim Valvano

Jack Lambert

Offline Cali Cat

• Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 01:08:18 PM »
Been reading playboy special editions....well....all that's printed there is copyrights....lol.  How you guys doing ?

Ah, so instead of reading Playboy for the articles, you read the special editions for ... the copyrights.
memphis1 sf3 kentucky1