Author Topic: New! LNU Problem Solving Information  (Read 23850 times)

Offline eyebite

• NGS Probation Officer
  • All Time Legend
  • GREEN BAY PACKERS - 2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!
Re: New! LNU Problem Solving Information
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2011, 04:32:44 AM »
Dude... Its burning where?.... Uhhhh.....
* I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every damn minute of it. * Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them. * Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive. * I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are just missing.

Offline bizona

• Hall of Famer
  • ......Zona Bizona......
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2011, 11:44:48 AM »
So I have a problem at work. I work in a very small department (6 people, including our manager) and I genuinely like everyone in the department. However, I hate the work and, recently, the dynamics of the department have changed for a variety of reasons. Part of it has to do with someone who joined our department a while back who has upset a coupel people in the department. Some of the reasons people are upset are legitimate, but quite a few are just BS that have been affected by people's personal issues and feelings. As a result, this woman has been treated differently and held to a higher standard that any of us have ever been held to. It's to the point where it really seems like the main goal is to force her out.

Meanwhile, I was given the responsibility of mentoring her, partly because she was getting different feedback from different people in the department and partly because of the personal issues between her and another co-worker that have created a situation where they just can't work productively together without one of them offending the other. I can't put into words how frustrating it is to try to mentor someone when I feel like others in my department who I've worked with for a long time just want her gone. At this point, the situation is so bad and irreconcilable that she should go for her sake and for the department's sake. However, the only way I see this happening is if she ends up taking the fall for everything, which I definitely don't think is fair.

To add to that, there is a crappy attitude towards other departments that we work with. We all agree that communication with some of the other departments is poor, and there is blame on both sides. Yet, despite us agreeing we all feel that way, there are a couple people who think having meetings with the other departments to discuss our differences, hash out our disagreements and try to offer some explanation and come to an understanding is a waste of our time. One person in particular doesn't feel like she should have to explain herself and that people should just go with the policies she sets and not expect an explanation. This is particularly frustrating to me since I've been pushing for meetings of this type for years and always take the time to explain myself and my rationale behind my decisions. I even encourage people to talk to their manager if we still disagree and can't come to an agreement and assure them I do not take it personally. So I feel like a polar bear stranded by himself on an iceberg floating in the middle of the ocean. Or course, the "because I said so" attitude doesn't play too well with the other departments and our department is hated by the rest of the project at this point (no, that's not hyperbole....our department has even been the subject of drawings around the office mocking us).

Here's my problem....I don't know how to address the issue and get myself out of a really bad situation without making the situation worse, throwing people I like under the bus and making enemies out of people I consider friends, or putting myself in a really bad financial situation. It's very possible all three could happen. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do. I just know that I feel so frustrated and helpless and I can't get anything done.

Advice? Suggestions? Job offers?
bos4 bos3 bos2

twitter: @bizona17
GetGlue: bizona

Online 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »
So I have a problem at work. I work in a very small department (6 people, including our manager) and I genuinely like everyone in the department. However, I hate the work and, recently, the dynamics of the department have changed for a variety of reasons. Part of it has to do with someone who joined our department a while back who has upset a coupel people in the department. Some of the reasons people are upset are legitimate, but quite a few are just BS that have been affected by people's personal issues and feelings. As a result, this woman has been treated differently and held to a higher standard that any of us have ever been held to. It's to the point where it really seems like the main goal is to force her out.

Meanwhile, I was given the responsibility of mentoring her, partly because she was getting different feedback from different people in the department and partly because of the personal issues between her and another co-worker that have created a situation where they just can't work productively together without one of them offending the other. I can't put into words how frustrating it is to try to mentor someone when I feel like others in my department who I've worked with for a long time just want her gone. At this point, the situation is so bad and irreconcilable that she should go for her sake and for the department's sake. However, the only way I see this happening is if she ends up taking the fall for everything, which I definitely don't think is fair.

To add to that, there is a crappy attitude towards other departments that we work with. We all agree that communication with some of the other departments is poor, and there is blame on both sides. Yet, despite us agreeing we all feel that way, there are a couple people who think having meetings with the other departments to discuss our differences, hash out our disagreements and try to offer some explanation and come to an understanding is a waste of our time. One person in particular doesn't feel like she should have to explain herself and that people should just go with the policies she sets and not expect an explanation. This is particularly frustrating to me since I've been pushing for meetings of this type for years and always take the time to explain myself and my rationale behind my decisions. I even encourage people to talk to their manager if we still disagree and can't come to an agreement and assure them I do not take it personally. So I feel like a polar bear stranded by himself on an iceberg floating in the middle of the ocean. Or course, the "because I said so" attitude doesn't play too well with the other departments and our department is hated by the rest of the project at this point (no, that's not hyperbole....our department has even been the subject of drawings around the office mocking us).

Here's my problem....I don't know how to address the issue and get myself out of a really bad situation without making the situation worse, throwing people I like under the bus and making enemies out of people I consider friends, or putting myself in a really bad financial situation. It's very possible all three could happen. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do. I just know that I feel so frustrated and helpless and I can't get anything done.

Advice? Suggestions? Job offers?
I don't know what your field of expertise is but I went through a very similar situation last year ! I finally had it up to my ears with an insubordinate employee and it got to the point where I didn't even want to come in to work any more and it showed !I hated my job and that showed as well. When things get that bad and there is no viable avenue to take in which you can correct the situation the best thing to do is to let Resume's fly my friend and find you another job you will like before you are out on your ass and having to find any job place that will take you !!!  Been there , Done that ! Find a job and then give your boss an ultimatum !  If they don't like it then leave, their loss ! Who knows Biz, You will probably find something you would rather have anyway and forget about the ultimatum, just the two weeks notice ! Remember this, there is absolutely no loyalty out there in today's market! They would just as soon throw you to the wolves as eating a good steak !
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:39:07 PM by 44diesels »
wsh1  pit2  wsh1  atl3  wsh1

Offline bizona

• Hall of Famer
  • ......Zona Bizona......
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »
Thanks 44. Yeah, that's my plan. The problem - as you well know - is there really aren't many jobs out there. Coming into work this morning, I felt physically ill and nauseous. I've had stressful situations at work in the past, but nothing like this that made me feel physically ill. So I just hope I find something soon. Sucks to basically choose between feeling like crap mentally and physically or being homeless and broke...which I guess ends up with the same results.

I don't have a solution to this right now, but I do know one thing.....this ain't no way to live. Thanks again, 44, for taking the time to read and reply.
bos4 bos3 bos2

twitter: @bizona17
GetGlue: bizona

Online 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2011, 02:47:35 PM »
Thanks 44. Yeah, that's my plan. The problem - as you well know - is there really aren't many jobs out there. Coming into work this morning, I felt physically ill and nauseous. I've had stressful situations at work in the past, but nothing like this that made me feel physically ill. So I just hope I find something soon. Sucks to basically choose between feeling like crap mentally and physically or being homeless and broke...which I guess ends up with the same results.

I don't have a solution to this right now, but I do know one thing.....this ain't no way to live. Thanks again, 44, for taking the time to read and reply.
When I started actively looking for another job my attitude changed completely and my boss knew something was up !  It was comical and depending on what kind of person your boss is there might be a change for the good for you there !Mine was kissing my ass for two months before I laid it on him ! Offered me more money and I was already making very good money as it was !  Money was not enough to keep me there !!

Offline eyebite

• NGS Probation Officer
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2011, 04:08:28 AM »
lord knows we have all done that before, lol... I agree that todays job market is crap, but there are still jobs if you look.   Now, i just ignore the worthless ones that I work with... lol
* I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every damn minute of it. * Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them. * Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive. * I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are just missing.

Offline Winsumbuc

• Sarge in Charge
  • Icon
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2012, 01:31:16 PM »
joecool
joecool

Offline anklebiter

• NGS' Freakiest Butt
  • Coach
  • The Bitch is back!
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2012, 06:40:53 PM »
alabama1
N to the A to the -U-G-H-T-whY? 'Cause I want to!

"So raise your glass if you are wrong,
In all the right ways,
All my underdogs,
We will never be, never be anything but loud
And nitty gritty dirty little freaks"

Offline theJrnyconts

• Hail to The Victors
  • All Time Legend
  • Mr. Wildlife
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2012, 10:03:18 PM »
Geez, thats a pretty serious condition right there Biter!! Not sure you can be helped. We will pray that you come out of it.
I post for food or money...thank you

Offline theJrnyconts

• Hail to The Victors
  • All Time Legend
  • Mr. Wildlife
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
Dude... Its burning where?.... Uhhhh.....

Ya know that poo hole thing??
I post for food or money...thank you

Offline eyebite

• NGS Probation Officer
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2012, 03:22:31 AM »

there are doctors for that kinda thing bro... but my advice is to stop using that area as a storage compartment...

I mean, what you do on your own time, in the privacy of your own home is your own business and all....

Offline anklebiter

• NGS' Freakiest Butt
  • Coach
  • The Bitch is back!
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2012, 06:01:36 PM »

Resist, Justina.......resist........

lsab

In all the right ways,
All my underdogs,

Online 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2012, 06:05:35 PM »

lsab

Let him have it Biter , he aired it out in public, stick him good !

Offline eyebite

• NGS Probation Officer
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »

lsab

thats no fun....  Go for the kill....

hahahaha... I was gentle in my response... go for the kill justina

Offline anklebiter

• NGS' Freakiest Butt
  • Coach
  • The Bitch is back!
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »

See the Gayest Cities in America thread.

;)

In all the right ways,
All my underdogs,

Online 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2012, 04:47:59 PM »
See the Gayest Cities in America thread.

;)
rofl I already did @!

Offline anklebiter

• NGS' Freakiest Butt
  • Coach
  • The Bitch is back!
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »

In all the right ways,
All my underdogs,

Offline Winsumbuc

• Sarge in Charge
  • Icon
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
Um....is there a problem here?
joecool

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2012, 03:34:56 PM »
sarge1
If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline anklebiter

• NGS' Freakiest Butt
  • Coach
  • The Bitch is back!

In all the right ways,
All my underdogs,

Online 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2012, 07:48:31 PM »
Put that bird back in the nest !

Offline anklebiter

• NGS' Freakiest Butt
  • Coach
  • The Bitch is back!
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2012, 07:49:41 PM »
Tebow

8)

In all the right ways,
All my underdogs,

Online 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2012, 07:50:18 PM »
Bite me !

Offline anklebiter

• NGS' Freakiest Butt
  • Coach
  • The Bitch is back!
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »
That's my catch phrase!

devil1

In all the right ways,
All my underdogs,

Online 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2012, 07:53:20 PM »