Author Topic: NL Central  (Read 4273 times)

Offline packerzrule

• Masta of disasta
  • Star
  • The Ayatollah of Captain and cola
NL Central
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »
Now that we have representation from a Brewers, Cardinals, Reds and Cubs perspective, I thought we could use a focal point for what hopefully will be a season long bitch fest.  I will try to get at least one to represent the Pirates (I think they will do much better this year than most are predicting) but if have some other hardliners from cBS you'd like to see here, invite them over.

This could be the start of a beautiful relationship        ber
gb1   mil3   wisconsin1

Offline packerzrule

• Masta of disasta
  • Star
Re: NL Central
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »
Brewers rule

all others drool

where is everyone??
gb1   mil3   wisconsin1

Offline blacktopbully

• Icon
  • The Grandbabies :)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »
Not a fan of anyone in the NL Central, but do have the Reds in my 13-Run Pool so Ill be rooting for Votto, Phillips, Stubbs annd company to swing the heavy lumber!!

It's tough being an A's fan these day... :(  But I'll love 'em till the day I die!!!
Hello. I'm Bully. What's your name?

Offline packerzrule

• Masta of disasta
  • Star
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »
Not a fan of anyone in the NL Central, but do have the Reds in my 13-Run Pool so Ill be rooting for Votto, Phillips, Stubbs annd company to swing the heavy lumber!!

It's tough being an A's fan these day... :(  But I'll love 'em till the day I die!!!

thats' what a true fan does bully

bully for you.....no pun intended    :)
gb1   mil3   wisconsin1

Offline blacktopbully

• Icon
  • The Grandbabies :)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »
I hear ya.. Too many bandwagon jumpers these days.

I know in my head this will be a long year for the A's, but right now we are tied for 1st with Texas, Anahiem and Seattle!!!

Spring Training is such a great time of year!!!! :)
Hello. I'm Bully. What's your name?

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »

No shame in losing 15-13 to the Brewers.  Good luck in the pool.

Brewers open with 10 games in 10 days. Get to see the whole roster quickly, unless Hart doesn't make it back.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

donbedouin

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:29:50 PM »
Andrew McCutchen and his career .321/.417/.521 line against the Cubs is going to be in the NL Central for 6 more years. Great...

Great move for them though, I thought they should've done it a year ago.

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Prayers for Ryan Shazier
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 06:51:10 PM »
Here we go Pirates here we go!  pit3

This is great news today..though I hope he isn't traded down the road.  Might actually be some semblance of stability in Pittsburgh finally.
Don't give up.  Don't ever give up.

If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

Jim Valvano

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline packerzrule

• Masta of disasta
  • Star
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 07:40:56 PM »
Andrew McCutchen and his career .321/.417/.521 line against the Cubs is going to be in the NL Central for 6 more years. Great...

Great move for them though, I thought they should've done it a year ago.

Absolutely!!  It's refreshing to see the Pirates FO making a commitment to the organization and their long suffering fans by finally signing their young studs instead of grooming them for trade bait.  I have a feeling the team is going to have a break out year this season and will fare much better than the pundits give them credit for.  Any chance that all of their matchups with the Crew this season could be at Miller Park?   :)
gb1   mil3   wisconsin1

Offline packerzrule

• Masta of disasta
  • Star
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »
Here we go Pirates here we go!  pit3

This is great news today..though I hope he isn't traded down the road.  Might actually be some semblance of stability in Pittsburgh finally.

It's one thing to have to put up with all of the chest thumping Steelers fans, but if I have to put up with the like from the Pirates side....................EGAD    :)
gb1   mil3   wisconsin1

Offline packerzrule

• Masta of disasta
  • Star
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »
this made me chuckle - leave it up to the Onion

http://www.theonion.com/articles/prince-fielder-reports-to-spring-training-exactly,27507/

I will miss the big fella  (sigh)
gb1   mil3   wisconsin1

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »
Braun was heckled today during his at-bats in spring ball.

The crowd supposedly chanted UR-INE SAM-PLE (clap clap clap clap clap) UR-INE SAM-PLE (clap clap clap clap clap)

If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

Jim Valvano

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »
this made me chuckle - leave it up to the Onion

http://www.theonion.com/articles/prince-fielder-reports-to-spring-training-exactly,27507/

I will miss the big fella  (sigh)

I was watching PTI a few weeks back and they were discussing whether or not the Tigers should DH Prince..

Tony Kornheiser said "My concern is that if they do DH him by mid-August he will be 350 lbs."  haha1  haha1

Jim Valvano

Jack Lambert

donbedouin

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 08:56:29 PM »
Braun was heckled today during his at-bats in spring ball.

The crowd supposedly chanted UR-INE SAM-PLE (clap clap clap clap clap) UR-INE SAM-PLE (clap clap clap clap clap)

The Brewers first road trip is in Chicago. That will get interesting

donbedouin

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 09:06:21 PM »
And now looking at the Cubs schedule, they start the season: Nationals, Brewers, @Cardinals, @Miami, Reds, Cardinals, @Phillies, @Reds, Dodgers, Braves, @Brewers, @Cardinals, Phillies

What's the record for most games back by the middle of May?

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »
Wow that is tough..maybe they'll surprise, or some of those others won't do as well as we think?

Hey Don why not come over to the B&G and meet some of the regulars?

Jim Valvano

Jack Lambert

Offline packerzrule

• Masta of disasta
  • Star
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 05:59:44 AM »
The Brewers first road trip is in Chicago. That will get interesting

I'm sure the Cubs fans will give him a real "warm welcome"      :)
gb1   mil3   wisconsin1

Offline packerzrule

• Masta of disasta
  • Star
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 06:05:23 AM »
Brewers starter Chris Narveson retired all six Giants he faced in his Cactus League debut on Sunday night, a 7-3 victory at Scottsdale Stadium.

Add Narveson to the long list of Brewers pitchers working on a cut fastball in camp.

"I threw it three or four times today, and it's coming along," Narveson said. "It's a comfort pitch, so the more times you throw it, the better it feels."

San Francisco Giants left fielder Justin Christian's seventh-inning error generated two unearned runs that broke a tie as Milwaukee pulled away.

With the score tied, 3-3, Giants right-hander Sergio Romo, who walked only five batters in 70 innings in 2011, issued a one-out free pass to Caleb Gindl. Jeff Bianchi blooped a two-out single before ex-Giants first baseman Travis Ishikawa lifted an easy fly ball to left. Christian settled under the ball but mishandled his attempt at a one-handed catch.

Logan Schafer drew a bases-loaded walk in the eighth and Ishikawa added a homer in the ninth to conclude Milwaukee's scoring.

San Francisco surged ahead, 3-0, on Aubrey Huff's fourth-inning homer and a pair of runs generated by Gregor Blanco, who came around to score after singling and stealing second base in the third and fifth innings.

"It's very energetic," Giants starter Matt Cain said of the sudden infusion of speed on San Francisco's roster.

But Milwaukee pulled even in the sixth inning as Zelous Wheeler's two-run homer capped a three-run uprising against Giants left-hander Jeremy Affeldt.

Cain also pitched two shutout innings and allowed two hits while walking one.

Left-hander Matt Yourkin, a non-roster invitee to Spring Training, relieved Cain and became the first Giant to work three innings.

Up next: Ryan Braun will be back in the lineup Tuesday, when the Brewers return home to Maryvale Baseball Park to face the A's at 2:05 p.m. CT on MLB.TV.

Manager Ron Roenicke and Braun have discussed an every-other-day spring schedule, which, accounting for the team's off-day next week, raises the possibility that Braun won't have to play a road game until March 17 against the Angels in Tempe. Potential Opening Day starter Yovani Gallardo gets the start, and Francisco Rodriguez is on the list to pitch relief.
gb1   mil3   wisconsin1

Bernie82

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »
Should be an interesting season.  I truly believe that we have a level of parity not seen in quite some time.

I think it will be one of those years where if you know your team is bad right now, it is going to be a really, really ugly season.  Is it out of the question that a team like Houston could be looking at 110 losses?  I just don't see what I would historically call a "dominant" team in the NL this year. 

I guess Philly would be the closest but that offense is more creaky than the on in St. Louis.  Atlanta, Miami, and Washington should all be competitive knocking their win total down a bit.

If I had to pick a central favorite, it would probably be St. Louis.  Pittsburg, Milwaukee, St. Louis should all be competitive.  I think Chicago is pretty well out of it by the AS break, but they will clear some room for guys like Jackson and Rizzo at the break and become a particularly dangerous team (more so if they keep Garza).

I guess I would pick the Giants out west.  Arizona and LA should be competitive.

I could see 7 to 9 teams with a legit shot at the playoffs with no team being a lock for a playoff spot.

donbedouin

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 11:10:28 AM »
Wow that is tough..maybe they'll surprise, or some of those others won't do as well as we think?

Hey Don why not come over to the B&G and meet some of the regulars?

I'll have to do that when I get a chance

donbedouin

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 08:42:03 PM »
If I had to pick a central favorite, it would probably be St. Louis.  Pittsburg, Milwaukee, St. Louis should all be competitive.  I think Chicago is pretty well out of it by the AS break, but they will clear some room for guys like Jackson and Rizzo at the break and become a particularly dangerous team (more so if they keep Garza).

I'm assuming one of the times you mentioned St. Louis, you meant the Reds

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Administrator
  • Coach
  • Selfies R Cool
  • Pickems Record: 12/16
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Who's got the best pitching staff in the NL Center?
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Bernie82

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 10:50:32 PM »
I'm assuming one of the times you mentioned St. Louis, you meant the Reds

You assume correctly

Bernie82

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 03:35:16 PM »
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120306/COL03/303060116/Doc-Same-swing-fewer-misses-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|

If that article is any indication, I would not be holding out much hope for an improved season for Stubbs

donbedouin

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »
Who's got the best pitching staff in the NL Center?

Probably would say the Cardinals between Wainwright, Carpenter, Garcia and Loshe. Although I almost expect them to take a decent step back without Duncan (namely Loshe). Although I'd pick the Reds for the best bullpen with Madison, Marshall, Bray, Masset, Ondresuk and Chapman