Author Topic: MLB HoF Question  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Peter Gozintite

• Try to make me care less.
  • Coach
Re: MLB HoF Question
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »
IDK what to do exactly, and in all honesty i am not much of a baseball fan either. I do know that the steriod thing has run its course through every sport, and there is more still going on than anyone really knows.
These guys are playing doctors boat loads of money now, to figure out ways to get around the testing and just doing them on lower levels. Where theres a will, and lots of money, there is always a way.
What'd I miss?
In three words or less.

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Icon
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »
IDK what to do exactly, and in all honesty i am not much of a baseball fan either. I do know that the steriod thing has run its course through every sport, and there is more still going on than anyone really knows.
These guys are playing doctors boat loads of money now, to figure out ways to get around the testing and just doing them on lower levels. Where theres a will, and lots of money, there is always a way.
True that !
wsh1  pit2  wsh1  atl3  wsh1

Offline PatsFan

• All Time Legend
  • "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing"
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2013, 10:58:03 AM »
Doesn't make it right...or allow you into the Hall of Fame...Put an asterisk on their plaques pointing towards the steroid scandal and then let them in ...If they balk at them...Screw Em....

" The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand."

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Icon
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2013, 11:00:39 AM »
Agreed but that would open a whole nother can of worms !  Law suits, defamation......

Offline PatsFan

• All Time Legend
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »
Understood.. But something like the Roger Maris asterisk ( or something of the sort ) must be used to differentiate between the players on the "LIST"...
" The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand."

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Icon
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »
Understood.. But something like the Roger Maris asterisk ( or something of the sort ) must be used to differentiate between the players on the "LIST"...
There's no clear cut solution other than to omit the suspected players.

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2013, 12:07:55 PM »
I look at that it like this...if you are in business and it's a level playing..then Business A starts using something that gives them a competitive edge..then B,  C, and D start using the "edge"...next thing you know your company is in the vast minority...what do you do? Become obsolete?

Sports are no different.  You need to provide for your family...any means necessary. Sure egos are involved, but it's also a little thing called reality. If someone offered you a  pill that made you the best at what you do, and in return your kids, grandkids, etc would be financially set for life, you would turn it down?  Exactly.

Let in the players who deserve it..clean or not. Bonds, Clemens...HoF worthy before juicing.

Ps. ..never saw where roids or hgh help see a 90 mph pitch...or command a slider.
"I, too, once dabbled in Pacifism."

"In Heaven, there is no beer,  that's why we drink it here"
iowa1 chc3 chi4 min1 alabama1 We love you RJ!

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Icon
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »
I haven't either, that's what makes it so awful. All that raw talent , superior talent and they have to juice anyway ? And do you really think their kids was the first thing on their minds before juicing ? I don't think so. If they were they would thought long and hard about getting caught as it would shame the very things you are protecting.

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2013, 12:49:23 PM »
Valid point. I guess from my perspective, that would be a key factor in deciding to cheat.

I pretty much grew up in the Steroid Era, so my frame of reference differs. The thing is , the Palmieros,  Sosas,  Brett Boones...middle tier players who needed the stuff to stay in the bigs...started the Domino Effect...egos wouldn't allow the naturally gifted players to have less talent putting up similar numbers.  For the low to middle caliber guys..probably more about survival.
"I, too, once dabbled in Pacifism."

"In Heaven, there is no beer,  that's why we drink it here"
iowa1 chc3 chi4 min1 alabama1 We love you RJ!

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Icon
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »
Valid point. I guess from my perspective, that would be a key factor in deciding to cheat.

I pretty much grew up in the Steroid Era, so my frame of reference differs. The thing is , the Palmieros,  Sosas,  Brett Boones...middle tier players who needed the stuff to stay in the bigs...started the Domino Effect...egos wouldn't allow the naturally gifted players to have less talent putting up similar numbers.  For the low to middle caliber guys..probably more about survival.
Yes, I agree on that. Makes sense !

Offline blacktopbully

• Icon
  • The Grandbabies :)
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 03:30:25 PM »
Doesn't make it right...or allow you into the Hall of Fame...Put an asterisk on their plaques pointing towards the steroid scandal and then let them in ...If they balk at them...Screw Em....

An * is fine with me.. no problem there. Just as long as they are in, IMO.

Funny thing about the 61* for Maris.... As you all know, it's because he hit 61 in 162 games and Ruth did it in 154... 8 more games for Maris..

But he, Maris, had 3 less official AB's that Ruth did.... And there never really was an * next to the 61.. That is just a myth.. but still, 3 less AB's is the real important stat, not the 8 extra games.

Hello. I'm Bully. What's your name?

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Icon
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »

Funny thing about the 61* for Maris.... As you all know, it's because he hit 61 in 162 games and Ruth did it in 154... 8 more games.

But he had 3 less official AB's.... And there never really was an * next to the 61.. That is just a myth.. but still, 3 less AB's is the real important stat, not the 8 extra games.

Agreed Bully !  ber

Offline Tx_Sports

• Icon
  • Go Rangers!
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »

Funny thing about the 61* for Maris.... As you all know, it's because he hit 61 in 162 games and Ruth did it in 154... 8 more games for Maris..

But he, Maris, had 3 less official AB's that Ruth did.... And there never really was an * next to the 61.. That is just a myth.. but still, 3 less AB's is the real important stat, not the 8 extra games.

Great point Bully, the at bat start is far more important than the amount of games.....unless you're talking some sort of consecutive game steak.

dal1  tex3

Offline blacktopbully

• Icon
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 11:31:37 AM »
Great point Bully
yessssssssssssssssssss! What you cannot see is my super cool "fistpump"... :)

Offline PatsFan

• All Time Legend
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2013, 10:31:01 AM »

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Icon
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2013, 10:31:49 AM »
lol...Hey Pats !

Offline Tx_Sports

• Icon
  • Go Rangers!
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2013, 02:09:02 PM »
Bully can golf?  487
dal1  tex3

Offline blacktopbully

• Icon
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »
I used to be a pretty decent stick, Tx!! Got down to a 12 handicap in my prime... Dear Old Dad was a scratch in his day!

Hung up the clubs when I started umping baseball.. Just no time and I was making $$ umping instread of spending it golfing!!! Umping is the best thing I ever got into.

Offline Tx_Sports

• Icon
  • Go Rangers!
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2013, 05:12:15 PM »
I hear ya!  I love getting out and golfing but time is just so little and you spend half a day on the course......out at least I do which should give you a clue about how good I am at it....  rofl     but it's fun!
dal1  tex3

Offline The Catfish

• June's M.O.M.
  • Star
  • the Catfish loves BEER!
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »
rose gambled after his hit totals were over.

bonds, sosa, clemens, mcgwire, palmeiro cheated while they played!