Author Topic: Foggy Thoughts  (Read 33331 times)

Offline ozpackerfan

• Super Mod
  • Hall of Famer
Re: Foggy Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 10:39:49 PM »
Only to Australia ;).

Does that work both ways? Fine by me...   lol

Offline Paul4Cats

• Big Sexy
  • All Time Legend
  • RIP TS RIP greg
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 10:46:44 PM »

Does that work both ways? Fine by me...   lol
I kid.  Why?  Because I love.
  kentucky1  kentucky1  kentucky1

Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream.

Offline Peter Gozintite

• Try to make me care less.
  • Coach
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 03:31:18 AM »
who cares what fog thinks?
What'd I miss?
In three words or less.

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Selfies R Cool
  • Pickems Record: 12/16
Re: TAX LOOP HOLES
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 09:48:57 PM »
SEATTLE – A new congressional investigation claims Microsoft has been able to avoid paying $6.5-billion in taxes since 2009 thanks to the complicated tax structure in the U.S.

Today Sen. Carl Levin, Democrat of Michigan, released the findings from the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations report.  The investigation reveals a number of tax loopholes allegedly used by Microsoft and other major U.S. companies to avoid paying billions in taxes.   Specifically the report finds that among other things Microsoft used subsidiaries in Puerto Rico, Ireland, and Singapore, which are low or no tax jurisdictions.

“Major U.S. corporations are increasingly earning their profits here but shipping them overseas to avoid paying the taxes they owe,” said Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., the subcommittee chairman.  “At a time when we face such difficult budget choices, and when American families are facing a tax increase and cuts in critical programs from education to health care to food inspections to national defense, these offshore schemes are unacceptable.”

The investigation also showed how Microsoft reportedly transferred the U.S. rights to intellectual property offshore.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Shelly Posts:  If Microsoft is taking advantage of the loopholes in the system, who's to blame?  I say the government that set that $%#$! tax system up.  You can't blame them for doing that if it's legal.  There should just be a flat tax.  Everyone would feel the pain equally, in fact, I'd bet that taxes would be less, because these billion dollar corporations would be paying more.  I know absolutely nothing about the tax system however, so take that with a grain of salt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So is Shelly on track or is she talking out both sides of her mouth?

It seems to me the more the companies are taxed the more they raise the price and make us pay for the tax burden they have.  So when they get taxed more they move to somewhere they aren't as taxed as much.

Makes sense to me. 

Do you go buy stuff in another city or county or even states to avoid higher taxes?  People from Washington go to Oregon to buy stuff because there isn't any sales tax.  Washington has in some places a 10.0% sales tax.  You can save thousands of dollars.

When faced with difficult budget choices don't you downsize?
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline Paul4Cats

• Big Sexy
  • All Time Legend
  • RIP TS RIP greg
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 10:07:41 PM »
who cares what fog thinks?
You must if you posted here.

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Selfies R Cool
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 10:36:11 PM »
Then one poster posts....Wouldn't it be irresponsible of a tax professional to NOT seek the lowest tax liability that the law allows?
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline ozpackerfan

• Super Mod
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2012, 12:18:06 AM »
You must if you posted here.

Stop making sense. That's not playing fair...

Offline Peter Gozintite

• Coach
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
Stop making sense. That's not playing fair...
I know right?
What'd I miss?
In three words or less.

Offline Paul4Cats

• Big Sexy
  • All Time Legend
  • RIP TS RIP greg
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 07:14:11 PM »
Okay, I won't make any more sense.

Offline Paul4Cats

• Big Sexy
  • All Time Legend
  • RIP TS RIP greg
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 07:15:36 PM »
Here's a thought.... How long does it take a giraffe to vomit?

Offline wild-turkey

• Star
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 09:01:12 PM »
Why don't we open the country up to drilling and become energy independent?  Even if it cost more wouldn't it wreck Russia and the Middle East where it really hurt?  Why don't we put up a 10 billion dollar prize for a safe alternative energy source that is self sustaining and economical?

Offline ozpackerfan

• Super Mod
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 06:38:16 AM »
Solar is the answer. Safe, clean, environmentally friendly and if the source ever runs out we will have much bigger problems. The downside is we can't produce the panels needed (in an affordable way) to make it viable but that can be changed with investment from the right sources...

Offline Peter Gozintite

• Coach
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 10:13:29 AM »
I know where i live the wind could put a serious dent in energy costs. Even if it didnt completely replace what we are using now, there has to be a windmill system that could generate enough power to sustain a home off and on.
What'd I miss?
In three words or less.

Offline Paul4Cats

• Big Sexy
  • All Time Legend
  • RIP TS RIP greg
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »
I know where i live the wind could put a serious dent in energy costs. Even if it didnt completely replace what we are using now, there has to be a windmill system that could generate enough power to sustain a home off and on.
Hook a windmill up to bob's ass.  That could power the entire world.

Offline wild-turkey

• Star
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »
Solar is the answer. Safe, clean, environmentally friendly and if the source ever runs out we will have much bigger problems. The downside is we can't produce the panels needed (in an affordable way) to make it viable but that can be changed with investment from the right sources...
I'm tired of the Middle East BS we need to become energy independent and then solve their own problems.  Is solar energy is the answer than so be it lets move forward.

Offline ozpackerfan

• Super Mod
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 03:29:52 PM »
I'm not sure about this but I thought I heard that America's largest non-domestic source for oil is Canada. Is that right?

Offline Paul4Cats

• Big Sexy
  • All Time Legend
  • RIP TS RIP greg
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 03:32:23 PM »
I'm not sure about this but I thought I heard that America's largest non-domestic source for oil is Canada. Is that right?

Offline DimWit

• Veteran
  • NGS is the Best
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 01:27:34 AM »
Whether Balanced Budgets for corporations or governments (or individuals for that matter) are good or not ain't as cut and dried as many seem to believe.

Debt taken on intelligently can be a very, VERY good thing.  At the government level, when handled as an intelligent Investment, like in the building of railroads, highways, energy grids, and other infrastructure, the economy can expand.  Tax revenues increase and more than pay off the debt and interest on the debt over time.  Similar investments in renewable energy infrastructure would also pay long term dividends on many levels.

At the corporate level, borrowing money to build a new manufacturing or research facility that will increase profits over time is a wise investment when intelligently handled.

Even at home, borrowing wisely to buy a home is typically a better investment than renting.

If a farmer needs to borrow to get his potentially profitable crop planted, maintained, and harvested, then he'd be a fool not to take on that debt.  After all, what are his alternatives?

Simply put, it's a Myth that all debt is Bad.  In fact, failure to make longterm investment in infrastructure, education, etc would be a massive drag on an economy.  Henry Ford did NOT build the auto industry on his own.   

...Dim

Offline DimWit

• Veteran
  • NGS is the Best
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 01:42:01 AM »
Looks like Willard trashed Obumma in tonight's debate. 

The Kenyan looked very rusty, and allowed many Willard statements go unchallenged.  However, the 'Bama strategy was like Ali's "rope a dope" strategy.  The more The Prez let Willie take unchallenged swings, the more he revealed about his weaknesses.  THAT will come back to haunt him as the Fact Checkers reveal the depth of his BSing.

Dems can rest assured that The Kenyan will fight back in the next debate ... using Willard's own words as his arsenal. penguin

Think of it as Obama taking on short term debt that will yield HUGE nearterm dividends.

...Dim
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 03:09:24 AM by DimWit »

Offline HowdyYall

• Veteran
  • every hoss ain't a thoroughbred
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »
Dim, there's really only one part of what you're saying is exactly why it won't, doesn't and hasn't worked when it comes to government.."intelligence"! Since when has intelligence had anything to do with government? Comparing aspects or reasons of taking on debt in terms of an individual/company, etc. vs government isn't dealing with reality!

In regard to these debates..it's fairly simple..either you're for big government or not?  You believe in the rights of State over Federal or not?

Test this out or check it out in whatever manner as a plan:
Have one set national sales tax at say 15% distributed and collected as follows: Local(city, county 7%), State 5%, Federal 3%..exempt absolute necessities such as medicine, fuel/electricity, no other taxes not local, State, Federal..add another 5% to pay off the national debt until it's paid off in entirety..
All Medicare, Medicaid, Unemployment, Social Security benefits are paid thru the the local, County and State revenues..
Abolish the IRS and Federal Reserve, abolish combine and/or reduce the size of these Federal Departments and Agencies within..DoE, HUD, EPA, FDA, ATF, etc..
Enact term limits for legislators along with the same benefits as citizens in medical retirement(SS) with set specified budget for staff, travel, expenses
Enforce current immigration laws and require all citizens to speak English and have proof of identification
Stop all funding and support to any foreign country where hostile actions have occurred against our military, ambassadors/embassies, citizens or representatives
Federal import taxes/fees will be established pursuant to accomplishing a level field for measuring competition, i.e; trade imbalances, U.S. job loss in manufacturing, service industries, agriculture, banking/finance, currency exchange rate and ratios

That should be enough to start with..we can do some fine tuning later or just accept the fact we know the faces in government may change but the face of government is an entirely different matter!
2 main thangs to live'n..yo're gitalong and gittyUP..the rest is just window dress'n!

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Selfies R Cool
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »

Yes...
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline Shakes

• Contributing Member
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 07:42:31 PM »
Cool thread idea but we should dedicate one to Mama Phog as well. :)

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Selfies R Cool
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 08:05:08 PM »
Whether Balanced Budgets for corporations or governments (or individuals for that matter) are good or not ain't as cut and dried as many seem to believe.

Debt taken on intelligently can be a very, VERY good thing.  At the government level, when handled as an intelligent Investment, like in the building of railroads, highways, energy grids, and other infrastructure, the economy can expand.  Tax revenues increase and more than pay off the debt and interest on the debt over time.  Similar investments in renewable energy infrastructure would also pay long term dividends on many levels.

At the corporate level, borrowing money to build a new manufacturing or research facility that will increase profits over time is a wise investment when intelligently handled.

Even at home, borrowing wisely to buy a home is typically a better investment than renting.

If a farmer needs to borrow to get his potentially profitable crop planted, maintained, and harvested, then he'd be a fool not to take on that debt.  After all, what are his alternatives?

Simply put, it's a Myth that all debt is Bad.  In fact, failure to make longterm investment in infrastructure, education, etc would be a massive drag on an economy.  Henry Ford did NOT build the auto industry on his own.   

...Dim

Dim how many people are living within their own means and are saving instead of spending?  Part of the reason you go into debt is knowing you can pay it off later.  Right now there is no feeling you can pay it off later. 

How many people are paying off prior debt?  What are these people going to do after they pay off their Debt?  Spend or Save?

Which one of these two canidates will give us confendence into spending and go into debt again?
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »
Fog !!
wsh1  pit2  wsh1  atl3  wsh1

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Contributing Member