Author Topic: JB's Smokehouse: The Tailgaiting and Sports Foodie Haven  (Read 6214 times)

Offline SoonerThunderJB

• Veteran
JB's Smokehouse: The Tailgaiting and Sports Foodie Haven
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
Welcome to my first official thread here on NGS, my name is Jordan, but most just call me JB. MY lovely wife Sasha and I are very passionate sporting fans and foodies. I'm sure everyone here either is or knows a passionate sporting fan, but what about passionate foodies? Well, a foodie is a hobbyist who enjoys food and beverages which compliment eachother and the events they to be partaken with. To us, cooking, eating and drinking, and sharing these things with the people we've come to care for is a pleasent way to unwind and releave stress. Our family lives by the philosophy of 'Four 4-letter Words' when we cook. Life, Care, Love and Food. They all share more than just 4-letters when brought together in the kitchen. Life cannot be sustained without Food, if prepaired unproperly Food can lead to death so one must take Care in cooking the Food. But what if you Care for or Love the people eating your Food? If so, then you'll place that Love and Care into the Food. This leads right back to Life, and how enjoyable great tastes and being with those you care for can make people happy or happier.

So I bring you this thread. From my family and friends to yours. Since we enjoy cooking and sharing our love with friends and family (I hold a neighborhood cookout 30ish weekends out of the year sometimes spending 20hrs a week with my smoker), we will be posting recipes and meals. Most everything posted will have easy to follow instructions and if it requires rarely found local ingredients we will try to note where they can easily be found. Over the years I've tried to break my recipes into themes, such as football, hoops, hockey, baseball, cold weather, rainy weather and special events, so that's the type of food association that you'll see in my posts, but don't fear, these recipes are great just to have and don't really need to be categorized. I just do it this way to incorperate my hobbies. I do encourage any and all to post recipes you've enjoyed that you think others would enjoy too. I for one will give feedback on all recipes I recreate for posters, and push people to tamper with recipes to find new tastes within an old meal.

You will also see some posts of drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic). These will follow the same categorization as recipes of food, with the addition of food pairings and everyday drinks.

Anyways, we hope you come to enjoy this thread.

Note: You might find it odd, but you will see some recipes posted that are 'dog friendly'! Some of my neighbors brings their dogs over to spend time together during cookouts and we've developed recipes specificly designed for canine consumption. We really don't like leaving anyone out of the BBQ! I didn't use to post these recipes, but after meeting Wmichskers 2 years ago and hearing of rabbit time' I started posting them. JB's Smokehouse thread will always acknowledge 'Rabbit Time' as our official 'Happy Hour'!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:39:31 PM by Fog »
oklahoma1 okc4 hou3 la2

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Coach
Re: JB's Smokehouse: The Tailgaiting and Sports Foodie Haven
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »
Excellent  ! 
wsh1  pit2  wsh1  atl3  wsh1

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 01:46:38 PM »
JB, thanks in advance for making me obese, amigo! ber
"I, too, once dabbled in Pacifism."

"In Heaven, there is no beer,  that's why we drink it here"
iowa1 chc3 chi4 min1 alabama1 We love you RJ!

Offline trojanfan12

• Contributing Member
  • Icon
  • Soylent Green is people!!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:19:01 PM »
Awesome idea JB!! We all have our own tastes, traditions, etc. that we like during different times of the year and for different events (sports and otherwise). This thread should be a great place to share those ideas!!
usc1 lal4 sea1 lad3

Offline phoggy dog

• Contributing Member
  • Star
  • Be nice.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:21:01 PM »
 Phoggy

That makes my tail wag!!!!!
kc3       kansas1     notredame1

Offline phoggy dog

• Contributing Member
  • Star
  • Be nice.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 05:21:49 PM »
JB, can we add recipes? Or would you rather it be all yours? Just let us know which!

Offline SoonerThunderJB

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »
Well phoggy, seeing as I stated that I encourage others to post recipes too, that would be a yes, please post some of yours if you like.
oklahoma1 okc4 hou3 la2

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Coach
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »
Well phoggy, seeing as I stated that I encourage others to post recipes too, that would be a yes, please post some of yours if you like.
Goosie also has a thread for holiday dishes under the LNU.

Offline SuperGnat

• Star
  • I got this!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 07:38:10 PM »
Awesome JB!  I will start off with Mama Ellie's BBQ Sauce (a kid friendly sauce).  You can use it on white fish, but I prefer it on grilled chicken and it is our family's favorite:

4 tbls brown suger
4 tbls oil
4 tbls dijon mustard
4 tbls soy sauce
1 tsp dry horseradish
(as a change up I add 1/2 teaspoon of Tobasco sauce to make it more spicy)

I usually marinate the chicken in some of the sauce for an hour before grilling and save a little for dipping later if folks want.  This sauce browns well on chicken and has a balanced flavor.  I have tried many other sauces, but my kids prefer this to anything else I have tried.  If I am grilling broccoli, I baste the broccoli with the sauce too.

Recipe courtesy of my step-mother.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:40:03 PM by SuperGnat »
"If you make every game a life or death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot." DES

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Coach
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 07:40:46 PM »
We eat nothing but Vinegar based barbecue's down here !

Offline phoggy dog

• Contributing Member
  • Star
  • Be nice.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 08:02:27 PM »
We eat nothing but Vinegar based barbecue's down here !

poor thing.

Offline phoggy dog

• Contributing Member
  • Star
  • Be nice.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »
I had to read that 3 times to find your ok to post. Yikes! I can no longer multi-task efficiently.

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Coach
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 08:07:38 PM »

poor thing.
Don't feel sorry for me Missy ! Wouldn't have it any other way !!

Offline SoonerThunderJB

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 08:21:28 PM »
SG that BBQ sauce is nearly identical to one of my Asian BBQ sauces.

And 44, I kind of do feel bad for those who enjoy vinegar sauces the most. It's typical of those types of people to have more resilient taste buds which requires stronger tastes which can throw off the tastes of side dishes. But vinegar sauces pair very nicely with sweet smoked pulled pork. If you want 'true' pulled pork sandwhiches it has to be vinegar based sauces (better known as vinegar wet washes) otherwise it becomes 'sticky sauced' pulled pork. When used with the right bread and the wet wash soaks into a thick absorbant kaiser roll or something similar then the taste is outstanding!

44 you might enjoy these:

Base BBQ Pork Vinegar Sauce:
1 cupcider vinegar
1 tablespoonsalt
1/2 teaspooncayenne pepper
1 teaspooncrushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoonbrown sugar

Mix well and set aside for 8-10 hrs.

Hog Wash:
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Combine all ingredients and cook for 5-10 minutes to dissolve spices. Use as a marinade and basting with your favorite BBQ recipe.

JB's Pulled Pork House Sauce:
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup hot water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne

Combine water and brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Combine with remaining ingredients. Add slowly to pulled pork while mixing. The pulled pork should be lightly and evenly coated, neither dry nor soupy.
oklahoma1 okc4 hou3 la2

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Coach
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 08:34:10 PM »
SG that BBQ sauce is nearly identical to one of my Asian BBQ sauces.

And 44, I kind of do feel bad for those who enjoy vinegar sauces the most. It's typical of those types of people to have more resilient taste buds which requires stronger tastes which can throw off the tastes of side dishes. But vinegar sauces pair very nicely with sweet smoked pulled pork. If you want 'true' pulled pork sandwhiches it has to be vinegar based sauces (better known as vinegar wet washes) otherwise it becomes 'sticky sauced' pulled pork. When used with the right bread and the wet wash soaks into a thick absorbant kaiser roll or something similar then the taste is outstanding!

44 you might enjoy these:

Base BBQ Pork Vinegar Sauce:
1 cupcider vinegar
1 tablespoonsalt
1/2 teaspooncayenne pepper
1 teaspooncrushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoonbrown sugar

Mix well and set aside for 8-10 hrs.

Hog Wash:
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Combine all ingredients and cook for 5-10 minutes to dissolve spices. Use as a marinade and basting with your favorite BBQ recipe.

JB's Pulled Pork House Sauce:
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup hot water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne

Combine water and brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Combine with remaining ingredients. Add slowly to pulled pork while mixing. The pulled pork should be lightly and evenly coated, neither dry nor soupy.
Yeah those are very similar to my Sauces. So hot it'll run ya outta the house while cooking ! But that's the southern way Sooner. Hot & Spicy ! Crabs, Shrimp , Gator, Crawfish , you name it ! Don't feel sorry for me...As I said before, wouldn't have it any other way !  ;)

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Administrator
  • Coach
  • Selfies R Cool
  • Pickems Record: 12/16
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »
If you want 'true' pulled pork sandwhiches it has to be vinegar based sauces (better known as vinegar wet washes) otherwise it becomes 'sticky sauced' pulled pork.

This was my issue last summer with the pulled pork I was making.  It became sticky

Great Info.
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:50 PM »
This was my issue last summer with the pulled pork I was making.  It became sticky

Great Info.
I've had  this issue as well...JB, as always good stuff amigo!

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Administrator
  • Coach
  • Selfies R Cool
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 10:08:06 PM »
I've taken the time to learn how to cook up some Pork Ribs on my neighbors killer BBQ/Smoker.

However the pulled pork I was making lacked the finnishing touches and understanding a bit more with the sauces will only help me.

I make some killer beef jerky, I'll have to get out the recipe and post it.
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 10:26:58 PM »
Please do post that jerky recipe...I'll have to get my dads venison jerky recipe...best jerky I've had!

Offline SoonerThunderJB

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »
Yeah most people think pulled pork, like BBQ, has sauce, but this is in fact wrong. The meaning of BBQ is cooking low (200-275 degrees) and slow (long than 45min cooking). It's a cooking style with largest range. Pulled pork was an asian love that Westerns brought with them through the Spanish spice trades of the 'silk road' right before the naval era in the 1300s. As the spanish and english began settling the new world, ranchers began the art of BBQ and shortly after created a vinegarettes to compliment the natural sweetness of pork and bison. It wasnt until the 1800s that tomato crops began to boom giving way to 'common' BBQ sauces. Don't get me wrong though, there are many wonderful recipes that use or require sticky sauces and different saucing methods to achieve different textures and bring out or show off certain spices or ingredients within a sauce or rub. Some of the stuff I can do creates levels of flavor within one bite and attained this skill through trial and error. Like I've always told the people of CBS it's about learning and experimenting. I'm litterally a walking talk encyclopedia on BBQ cooking and and it's related foods.
oklahoma1 okc4 hou3 la2

Offline Fog

• RIP TS65
  • Administrator
  • Coach
  • Selfies R Cool
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 11:25:43 PM »
JB...I'd rather the bread melt in my fingers, than having to use a whole role of paper towels with the sticky sauce.
NAPA KNOW HOW sea1

Offline SoonerThunderJB

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 09:16:08 AM »
I get that Fog. Us Southerners tend to enjoy our BBQ sauceless, letting the flavor of the rub, the juices of the meat and the drool of their mouths to act as all the sauce they need. I try to always list a sauce for each bbq recipe though so those who do enjoy saucing and dipping can slowly get out of their comfort zone. I found that if I leave sauces off the recipe, saucers (people who prefer sauces) tend to not try the recipes cause they think it's not something they like.
oklahoma1 okc4 hou3 la2

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Coach
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »
I get that Fog. Us Southerners tend to enjoy our BBQ sauceless, letting the flavor of the rub, the juices of the meat and the drool of their mouths to act as all the sauce they need. I try to always list a sauce for each bbq recipe though so those who do enjoy saucing and dipping can slowly get out of their comfort zone. I found that if I leave sauces off the recipe, saucers (people who prefer sauces) tend to not try the recipes cause they think it's not something they like.
Us southerners ? 

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »
Us southerners ? 
haha1 Pretty sure he meant U. S.  southerners, 44.

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Coach
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 09:47:21 AM »
haha1 Pretty sure he meant U. S.  southerners, 44.
haha1   I thought so ! ;)