Author Topic: The "New Breed" of NFL QBs...  (Read 716 times)

Offline kokomodan

• Star
  • Where the white women at?
The "New Breed" of NFL QBs...
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »
 greg1

We all hear this over and over. The NFL is a QB driven league. I contend it's a QB starved league. Now we are subjected to the "New Breed" of NFL QBs. The running QB that runs that gawd awful read option. There is a reason why we are getting a heavy dose of it. The lack of quality QBs continues.

The solution, simple really. The quality lacks,so insert athlete. If he can throw accurately enough all the better. We've gotten Cam Newton, RGIII, Collin Kaepernack, Russel Wilson (to a lesser extent) and the list is expected to grow. Teams are looking to be competitve year in and year out, but without a true pocket QB that has a quick release and slides well in the pocket while being able to extend plays, these teams are delegated to this gimmick offense.

I don't understand why you risk, what many see as the franchise QB, on running plays way too often? The staff in Washington now holds their collective breath hoping that RGIII returns the same type of player. He's a good pocket QB and the way he was utilized at the end was rediculous in my opinion. Watching him vs. the Seahawks it was obvious he couldn't protect himself. Now there is a ton of praying going on in the nations capital.

Sure the fans of these teams like the way these guys have preformed, but the risk may out weigh the reward. Kaepernack is now poised to be the 1st of his kind to score on the huge stage of the Superbowl. Somehow I see the Ravens shutting down Kaepernack this weekend? That and the way the Ravens offensive line has come together. Oh yeah, Flacco hasn't thrown a pick in 3 straight playoff games while collecting 8 TD passes. The Ravens are the hotter team, in my opinion...

He's the more desirable type of QB. The pocket passer relying on his subtleties and accuracy. Subjecting your franchise guy is akin to playing Russian roulette. Then again, the coaches shelf life is becoming more and more truncated with the owners and fans being quick to pull the trigger on firing the head coach these days...When I was growing up QBs called their own plays. When coaches realized that an ignorant QB was the reason the headcoach lost his job it made the decision to start calling plays from the sideline. This "New Breed" isn't too big a difference as I see it...The Coach wants to continue to coach...

We've all seen what has transpired in the recent past in the Superbowl. The team that got hot has been the main factor in who has won. Not many would argue that the last 2 seasons the BEST team thoughout the year was not the team that hoisted the Lombardi Trophy. Both teams, Packers and Giants barely qualified for the post season...In the what have you done for me lately era of the NFL there is no time to wait and damn the torpedos it's now or never...(Way too many cliches')

The league has more teams than it does starting QBs. That's why we are seeing this increase in the mobile QB. That and they have accelled in this type of offense in college. Why try to put a square peg in a round hole? Problem for them is that they get perhaps 1 contract (rookie deal) then they are done because another good athelete will be out there, combined with the injury factor for running QBs.

Oh yeah, it's hard to get rid of an ICON of a franchise QB as he ages. The rift in fans vs business comes into play...See Peyton Manning, Brettt Favre, Joe Montana...The loyalty factor doesn't enter into the equation anymore. When the likes of these names can be, and are traded, or released we see how this league is progressing. The short haul instead of a decade and a half of stability. There really is no time to waste. Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll  have shown this with their bold moves at QB...

There are 6 active QBs with wins in the Superbowl. Half have multiple wins. We'll get a new ELITE QB on Sunday. I'm thinking the pocket QB wins again. The NFL is a copycat league. If the 49ers can win perhaps a change does come? I doubt it...The more things change the more they stay the same...
min1          stl3          indiana1

Offline kokomodan

• Star
Re: The "New Breed" of NFL QBs...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »
greg1

We all hear this over and over. The NFL is a QB driven league. I contend it's a QB starved league. Now we are subjected to the "New Breed" of NFL QBs. The running QB that runs that gawd awful read option. There is a reason why we are getting a heavy dose of it. The lack of quality QBs continues.

The solution, simple really. The quality lacks,so insert athlete. If he can throw accurately enough all the better. We've gotten Cam Newton, RGIII, Collin Kaepernack, Russel Wilson (to a lesser extent) and the list is expected to grow. Teams are looking to be competitve year in and year out, but without a true pocket QB that has a quick release and slides well in the pocket while being able to extend plays, these teams are delegated to this gimmick offense.

I don't understand why you risk, what many see as the franchise QB, on running plays way too often? The staff in Washington now holds their collective breath hoping that RGIII returns the same type of player. He's a good pocket QB and the way he was utilized at the end was rediculous in my opinion. Watching him vs. the Seahawks it was obvious he couldn't protect himself. Now there is a ton of praying going on in the nations capital.

Sure the fans of these teams like the way these guys have preformed, but the risk may out weigh the reward. Kaepernack is now poised to be the 1st of his kind to score on the huge stage of the Superbowl. Somehow I see the Ravens shutting down Kaepernack this weekend? That and the way the Ravens offensive line has come together. Oh yeah, Flacco hasn't thrown a pick in 3 straight playoff games while collecting 8 TD passes. The Ravens are the hotter team, in my opinion...

He's the more desirable type of QB. The pocket passer relying on his subtleties and accuracy. Subjecting your franchise guy is akin to playing Russian roulette. Then again, the coaches shelf life is becoming more and more truncated with the owners and fans being quick to pull the trigger on firing the head coach these days...When I was growing up QBs called their own plays. When coaches realized that an ignorant QB was the reason the headcoach lost his job it made the decision to start calling plays from the sideline. This "New Breed" isn't too big a difference as I see it...The Coach wants to continue to coach...

We've all seen what has transpired in the recent past in the Superbowl. The team that got hot has been the main factor in who has won. Not many would argue that the last 2 seasons the BEST team thoughout the year was not the team that hoisted the Lombardi Trophy. Both teams, Packers and Giants barely qualified for the post season...In the what have you done for me lately era of the NFL there is no time to wait and damn the torpedos it's now or never...(Way too many cliches')

The league has more teams than it does starting QBs. That's why we are seeing this increase in the mobile QB. That and they have accelled in this type of offense in college. Why try to put a square peg in a round hole? Problem for them is that they get perhaps 1 contract (rookie deal) then they are done because another good athelete will be out there, combined with the injury factor for running QBs.

Oh yeah, it's hard to get rid of an ICON of a franchise QB as he ages. The rift in fans vs business comes into play...See Peyton Manning, Brettt Favre, Joe Montana...The loyalty factor doesn't enter into the equation anymore. When the likes of these names can be, and are traded, or released we see how this league is progressing. The short haul instead of a decade and a half of stability. There really is no time to waste. Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll  have shown this with their bold moves at QB...

There are 6 active QBs with wins in the Superbowl. Half have multiple wins. We'll get a new ELITE QB on Sunday. I'm thinking the pocket QB wins again. The NFL is a copycat league. If the 49ers can win perhaps a change does come? I doubt it...The more things change the more they stay the same...

Now that the Superbowl is in the books I am revisiting this thread. Flacco did what I thought he'd do. He won the game for the Ravens. Kaepernick fought hard, but his INT cost the 49ers. The status qou goes on with the pocket passer being the right option. The risk of your Franchise QB running time after time just doesn't cut it in my book.

Looking at the list of QB that may be moving goes to show the rehash of questionable talent and large salaries afforded that position. Names like Vick , Hasselbeck, Smith, Palmer, Kolb, Flynn and the like are littering the options teams will contemplate. Huge salary cap numbers for lackluster play will not stand.

The new breed of NFL QB will likely continue. The defense catching up is all that remains and then this style will go back into hiding. Kaepernick, Wilson, and RGIII are the 3 that will continue to improve. What do they posess as compared to the others playing this type of offense? Accuracy and smarts. They'll learn their roll as "Has to play" and will risk injury less and stay in the pocket more. That or they too will take the hit that excludes them from a whole season of play.

Suffice to say that the thought of the backup QB playing is all well and fine when the starter is sucking. When you are a REAL playoff calibre team though,the starter, HAS TO PLAY every snap...

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:21:36 AM »
The Read Option has really slowed down this year. Nearly none of the teams are running it like last year. RGIII is still not 100% and Kaepernick doesn't run like he did last year. He has looked a bit uncomfortable sitting in the pocket this season. Russell Wilson appears better suited because he isn't really running a read option, but making plays when it all breaks down. I guess when the chit hits the fan and a player like RGIII still hasn't returned to form it puts the onus on a head coach and with parity in the NFL you better have a healthy QB or you are Minnesota!

Offline DLPackers

• 2011 NFL Champs - Packers!!!
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Packers number one!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »
Wilson is a mobile guy, but his mobility is used to find a pass play. RGIII and Kap are purely run cause my first read wasn't open kinda guys. RGIII is worse with the hits he absorbs...
So I am a Packers fan in North Carolina, that just means I'm smarter than the rest of 'em!!!

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 11:29:39 AM »
I agree, but RGIII has an offensive line that is exactly that, offensive...It stinks!...He's still less that 100% and I'm not all too sure he and Shanahan and son will be around much longer?

Offline DLPackers

• 2011 NFL Champs - Packers!!!
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Packers number one!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
RGIII will be, Shanny and co. will not be.
So I am a Packers fan in North Carolina, that just means I'm smarter than the rest of 'em!!!

Offline kokomodan

• Star
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 09:47:11 AM »
Exactly, I'm not a fan of the Shanahans. I do Like RGIII. Saw him down in Tampa last year. He was amazing and led them to a win in the closing seconds. I believe that the QB position is the worst coached position in football. You have to tailor the scheme to the QB, not the other way around. Accuracy is the highest point of any drafted QB. The one's that last can put it in tiny windows and a huge arm isn't a must. You have to be better than Christian Ponder, though!