Author Topic: Breakng Down the Season  (Read 325 times)

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
Breakng Down the Season
« on: February 24, 2013, 02:33:51 PM »
This will be a 4 part series if the season.
Part 1 consists of early predictions and the Over/Under
Part 2 will be the Season up till the All Star break(the unofficial halfway Point
Part 3 will be the end of the Season and the push for the Playoffs.
Part 4 will be the Playoffs.
nym3 nyg1 notredame1 nyr2

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
Re: Breakng Down the Season
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »
This will be a 4 part series if the season.
Part 1 consists of early predictions and the Over/Under
Part 2 will be the Season up till the All Star break(the unofficial halfway Point
Part 3 will be the end of the Season and the push for the Playoffs.
Part 4 will be the Playoffs.
Sounds great and well thought out ! Can't wait !
wsh1  pit2  wsh1  atl3  wsh1

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »
Predictions
AMERICAN LEAGUE
East
Tampa Bay Rays - Still the best pitching staff
New York Yankees - While getting older they still have the best roster from 1-9
Toronto Blue Jay -  The most Active in the off season

Central
Detroit Tigers- Sanchez, Hunter and Martinez and a weak division
Kansas City Royals - Pick up Shields and Davis, big improvement to last year
Cleveland Indians - Pick up Stubbs and Francona(most important )

West

Los Angeles Angels - Played the off season pickups and hope not to start bad again
Texas Rangers - Banking thus year on upcoming stars
Oakland A's - Last years winner hoping to catch again

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 03:15:32 PM »
NATIONAL LEAGUE
EAST
Washington Nationals - Pitching Staff solid 1-5
Atlanta Braves - Can easily be considered for number one but their staff loses the 5th spot to Washington's Haren.
Philadelphia Phillies - Halladay, Hamels and Lee if they can keep Howard healthy lookout

Central
St. Louis Cardinals -  Tight Division good staff
Cincinnati Reds - Pick up Shoo and Champman
Milwaukee Brewers - Solid lineup but weak staff

West
Los Angeles Dodgers -  Challenged San Francisco last year and start this year healthy
San Francisco Giants - Last years Champs
San Diego Padres - Adjusting ballpark to fit team?

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:42:25 PM »
2013 MLB Season Win Totals:

- Arizona Diamondbacks 81.5

- Atlanta Braves 86

- Baltimore Orioles 76.5

- Boston Red Sox 79.5

- Chicago Cubs 72

- Chicago White Sox 80.5

- Cincinnati Reds 88.5

- Cleveland Indians 77.5

- Colorado Rockies 71.5

- Detroit Tigers 90

- Houston Astros 59.5

- Kansas City Royals 79

- Los Angeles Angels 89.5

- Los Angeles Dodgers 90

- Miami Marlins 64.5

- Milwaukee Brewers 79.5

- Minnesota Twins 64.5

- New York Mets 74

- New York Yankees 86.5

- Oakland Athletics 83

- Philadelphia Phillies 81.5

- Pittsburgh Pirates 79

- San Diego Padres 74.5

- San Francisco Giants 86

- Seattle Mariners 76.5

- St. Louis Cardinals 85.5

- Tampa Bay Rays 86

- Texas Rangers 87

- Toronto Blue Jays 86.5

- Washington Nationals 90

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:15:56 PM by FOREPLUS »

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »
Where does your team stand?
Do you agree or disagree?

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Coach
  • See y'all later, TS65 and tg
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:03:48 PM »
Brewers fan.  At 79.5 wins that is sub .500  Not that much differnet team that was over .500 last year. Cards are worse than last year and the bullpen isn't going to blow 15-18 wins again.  I think 86-88 wins is more like it
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

LIVE FREE OR DIE

As a general rule of thumb, it’s a bad idea to try to rob the home of people who decorate with animal skulls."

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:44:31 AM »
Howdy Ken glad you stopped by.  Hoping not to blow that many saves is good but what has been done to prevent it?

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »
High heat !!!!!   hiya ber

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 03:51:29 PM »
Having a good trip?

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 07:09:03 PM »

Showdown.....Dan Uggla vs. Chase Utley

Utley was one of my favorites during his prime. After all, it’s hard not to enjoy a guy that hit for average and power, stole bases and played great defense. Unfortunately, Utley hasn’t been at his prime for a few years now due to knee issues, and it’s clear that, at 34, he’s never going to come close to it again. He was reasonably effective with his counting stats while on the field last year, contributing 11 homers, 45 RBI and 11 steals in 83 games. His average tumbled for a fifth straight season to a career-low .256, though, and it’s obvious he’s not going to be an asset in that category again. Even if he plays in, say, 120 games (which is quite optimistic since he hasn’t reached that total in any of the last three seasons), Utley might approach 20 homers while chipping in with some steals. Uggla fell to 19 dingers in 2012, but I feel very confident in saying that it was an aberration. This is a guy that hit at least 31 homers in each of the previous five seasons, and last year’s drop came even though his flyball percentage was above his career average and his line drive percentage was a career-high. Beyond that, Uggla is, unlike Utley, the picture of health, having played at least 146 games every year of his career. I know what I’m getting with Uggla. With Utley, I’m just hoping he stays healthy, and even if he does, he’s a shell of his former self. – Ryan Boyer (@RyanPBoyer)

Utley

Chronic knee problems caused Utley to miss nearly the entire first half last season and figure to loom over the rest of his career, but he's saying all the right things about feeling good this spring and his production after returning last year was plenty impressive. Utley managed 11 homers, 45 RBIs, 48 runs, and 11 steals in 83 games, and while his .256 batting average was poor overall it looks a whole lot better compared to Uggla hitting .220 and .233 during the past two seasons. Utley's batting average may hurt your team. Uggla's batting average may kill your team. Uggla has more power potential, although he managed just 19 homers and a .384 slugging percentage last season, and Utley should top him in almost every other area. In fact, Utley has had a higher OPS than Uggla in 2012, 2011, 2009, 2008, 2007, and 2006. And don't overlook Utley's value on the bases. Knee problems may limit his running, but he's one of the most efficient base stealers in MLB history and went 11-for-12 last year. Uggla hasn't stolen more than four bases since 2008. I'll take the guy who's still very good and might not stay healthy over the guy who simply might not be very good anymore.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:30:50 PM by 44DIESELS »

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »
Showdown.....Pujols vs. Votto

Often times in the midst of your draft, you’ll find yourself deciding between a couple players at the same position. With Player Showdowns, we take two players who are closely ranked by Average Draft Position (ADP) and/or Rotoworld’s 2013 season projections and have writers take a side and debate who should be selected first. Whose side will you be on?

We’ll offer up one Showdown per position (catcher, first base, second base, shortstop, third base, outfield, starter and reliever) here, and you can get dozens more by purchasing the 2013 Rotoworld Baseball Draft Guide. It’s an essential weapon to have in your arsenal at the draft table this spring.

Also, be sure to sign up for a free fantasy baseball league with our partners over at Yahoo! Sports. As you’re all well aware of at this point, it’s the best fantasy platform out there.

Albert Pujols vs. Joey Votto

Pujols

News that Pujols may not see spring training game action until mid-March has me a little worried about his recovery from offseason knee surgery, but for now at least I'm banking on him returning to elite status. Last year Pujols didn't hit his first homer until May 6 and the shockingly poor start dragged down his season totals, leading to lots of talk that he's in the midst of a significant decline at age 33. However, he hit .305 with 30 homers, 42 doubles, 100 RBIs, and a .934 OPS in his final 127 games. During that time period only Miguel Cabrera and Josh Hamilton drove in more runs.  Votto is an amazing hitter and perhaps even better than Pujols, but his incredible on-base skills aren't valued properly in fantasy leagues and from 2010-2012 his per-150 game averages of 28 homers and 97 RBIs are good but not great for the position. Votto also missed one-third of last season with knee problems of his own, so health-wise he's in a similar boat to Pujols. If you're building a real-life lineup I'd probably rather have Votto batting third, but if you're trying to pile up numbers that win fantasy leagues I'd still lean toward Pujols. – Aaron Gleeman (@AaronGleeman)

Votto

You can’t really go wrong here. Both first basemen are sure-fire first-round picks with the potential to produce astronomical offensive numbers in 2013. But I like Votto more than Pujols because I think the two players are at different stages in their respective careers. Votto is 29 years old and posted an outrageous .337/.474/.567 batting line last season. His batting line was .309/.416/.531 in 2011 and .324/.424/.600 in 2010. Pujols, who is 33 years old and has been on a steady decline for the past five seasons, had a .285/.343/.516 batting line in 2012, a .299/.366/.541 batting line in 2011 and a .312/.414/.596 batting line in 2010. Pujols probably has more raw power than Votto, but the cozy confines of Great American Ball Park could help nullify that. Pujols plays at Angel Stadium, where the marine layer during night games can turn big flies into fly outs. Pujols gets to hit behind Mike Trout and Erick Aybar. But hitting behind Shin-Soo Choo and Brandon Phillips isn’t so bad either.

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 07:32:05 PM »
Having a good trip?
Hey Foreplay !!  Found some things out that are not to good but yeah, trip's ok.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »
I'd give the edge to Votto.  His age and I like Shoo and Phillips a Tad better.
I am not worried about Pujols not starting spring till later. He started early last year and didn't pan out until later.  Its a feeling that he will come out of as he feels he has something to say. And lets nit forget good old competition. While there are few making a move to dethrone him I believe he is not ready to roll over just yet. Whether he pays attention to the fantasy or not he knows his value in the minds of others has fallen. Pride can play a huge part. Always take a Guy playing in his last year of a contract.

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »
I'd give the edge to Votto.  His age and I like Shoo and Phillips a Tad better.
I am not worried about Pujols not starting spring till later. He started early last year and didn't pan out until later.  Its a feeling that he will come out of as he feels he has something to say. And lets nit forget good old competition. While there are few making a move to dethrone him I believe he is not ready to roll over just yet. Whether he pays attention to the fantasy or not he knows his value in the minds of others has fallen. Pride can play a huge part. Always take a Guy playing in his last year of a contract.
Yep !  ie. Chipper Jones !  ;)

Offline DeeHawkz23

• Star
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 07:53:11 PM »
That's a tough one.   Giving the edge to a healthy Pooholes(Cards hatred never dies). He has more protection in the lineup.
"I, too, once dabbled in Pacifism."

"In Heaven, there is no beer,  that's why we drink it here"
iowa1 chc3 chi4 min1 alabama1 We love you RJ!

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »
Uggla vs. Utley is a toss up and I would avoid both and look else where's. You can't go wrong with either as a 2nd or 3rd choice but there are quite a few better as your starter.

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 08:15:45 PM »
Uggla vs. Utley is a toss up and I would avoid both and look else where's. You can't go wrong with either as a 2nd or 3rd choice but there are quite a few better as your starter.
Uggla save my ass last season, Very grateful !

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 08:23:21 PM »
How many times ie he supposed to save your ass?

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 08:30:12 PM »
once but it was crucial.

Offline Coach

• Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Let's Go Caps!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 08:40:37 PM »
Where does your team stand?
Do you agree or disagree?

Orioles...76.5? Probably about right. Bullpen was outstanding last year. The amount of 1 run wins was unbelievable. They were unbeatable in extra innings. We added nothing of significance in the offseason. Buck Showalter is one of the best in the game. Hope he pulls the right strings again this year.
duke1 memphis1  wsh1  wsh2  bal3

Offline Coach

• Contributing Member
  • Hall of Famer
  • Let's Go Caps!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 08:44:15 PM »
I'd take Votto...but don't tell BC I said that. ;)
duke1 memphis1  wsh1  wsh2  bal3

Offline blitzburgh

• Blinky
  • Administrator
  • All Time Legend
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 03:44:26 PM »
I decided to guess "over or under" on these projections and see how close I come in October.

2013 MLB Season Win Totals:

- Arizona Diamondbacks 81.5 -- OVER

- Atlanta Braves 86 -- OVER

- Baltimore Orioles 76.5 -- OVER

- Boston Red Sox 79.5 -- UNDER

- Chicago Cubs 72 -- UNDER

- Chicago White Sox 80.5 -- UNDER

- Cincinnati Reds 88.5 -- UNDER

- Cleveland Indians 77.5 -- OVER

- Colorado Rockies 71.5 -- OVER

- Detroit Tigers 90 -- UNDER

- Houston Astros 59.5 -- OVER

- Kansas City Royals 79 -- UNDER

- Los Angeles Angels 89.5 -- OVER

- Los Angeles Dodgers 90 -- UNDER

- Miami Marlins 64.5 -- OVER

- Milwaukee Brewers 79.5 -- UNDER

- Minnesota Twins 64.5 -- OVER

- New York Mets 74 -- OVER

- New York Yankees 86.5 -- OVER

- Oakland Athletics 83 -- OVER

- Philadelphia Phillies 81.5 -- UNDER

- Pittsburgh Pirates 79 -- OVER grin1

- San Diego Padres 74.5 -- UNDER

- San Francisco Giants 86 -- UNDER

- Seattle Mariners 76.5 -- OVER

- St. Louis Cardinals 85.5 -- UNDER

- Tampa Bay Rays 86 -- UNDER

- Texas Rangers 87 -- UNDER

- Toronto Blue Jays 86.5 -- UNDER

- Washington Nationals 90 -- UNDER
If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Jack Lambert

Offline 44Diesels

• COUNTRY STRONG !
  • Site Moderator
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 08:20:24 PM »
Believe it or not, the exhibition schedule is set to begin tomorrow. While the long wait is almost over, let's take a look at some of the position battles in the American League. There are many position battles going on around the league, so please note that you will not find every one of them detailed here. That's why I encourage you to keep refreshing our player news page for all the latest information from the camps in Arizona and Florida. I'll take a look at some of the National League position battles in a future column.

You can find projections for all of the players below in the new 2013 Rotoworld Baseball Draft Guide. And while you're at it, sign up for a free fantasy baseball league with our partners at Yahoo! Sports. There's simply no better way to play.

Rangers' center field

The competitors - Craig Gentry, Leonys Martin

The Rangers let Josh Hamilton walk over the winter and didn't get involved in a pursuit for Michael Bourn, so that leaves Gentry and Martin as the favorites to take over in center field. Julio Borbon may also get some consideration, as he is out of options this spring, but he's a distant third on the depth chart at the moment.

Gentry is a skilled defender and offers some speed, but he has only hit two home runs in 476 plate appearances in the major leagues. Martin is short on experience with only 32 games to his name in the big leagues, but he's a highly regarded prospect who batted .359/.422/.610 with 12 homers, 10 stolen bases and a 1.033 OPS in 55 games last season for Triple-A Round Rock. Granted, those numbers were produced in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League -- and he had strong numbers in another favorable environment in the Texas League in 2011 -- but the Cuban defector has more upside than Gentry from an offensive perspective.

I don't think there will necessarily be a flat-out winner coming out of spring training, as the right-handed Gentry and left-handed Martin have the makings of a pretty nifty platoon. Still, Martin figures to get more at-bats under this potential arrangement, so he's absolutely worth a look in deeper mixed leagues.

Tigers' fifth starter

The competitors - Rick Porcello, Drew Smyly

When the Tigers signed Anibal Sanchez to a five-year, $80 million contract in December, Porcello immediately became the subject of trade rumors and speculation. While the former first-round pick survived the offseason without being part of a deal, he's going to have to fend off Smyly for the fifth spot in the starting rotation.

Porcello burst onto the fantasy scene with a 3.96 ERA in 31 starts as a 20-year-old rookie in 2009, but he has a mediocre 4.75 ERA since. While he saw an uptick in his velocity last season and finished with a career-best 5.5 K/9, it was still well below the league average. Of course, it didn't help that the Tigers' infield defense was terrible, as he was victimized to the tune of a .344 BABIP.

As for Smyly, he's coming off an intriguing rookie season in which he posted a 3.99 ERA and 94/33 K/BB ratio over 99 1/3 innings. Sure, it was a small sample and it was interrupted by injuries, but those secondary numbers fly in the face of those who doubted whether his stuff would translate to success in the big leagues. 

While I think Smyly would make for an intriguing flier if he wins the competition, I would be surprised if Jim Leyland didn't stick with Porcello. Yes, this is partially because of his $5.1 million salary for 2013, but there's also real-life value in getting 170 innings out of your fifth starter. Unfortunately, I just don't see him holding much fantasy value unless there's a better infield defense behind him. And he would need to be traded for that to happen.

Blue Jays' second base

The competitors - Emilio Bonifacio, Maicer Izturis

When the Blue Jays signed Izturis to a three-year, $9 million deal back in November, the assumption was that he was brought on board in order to be the team's starting second baseman this season. However, Toronto acquired Bonifacio later that month as part of a blockbuster deal with the Marlins and now the pair is set to battle it out for starting duties this spring.

Izturis has primarily functioned a utility player during his career, posting a .273/.337/.381 batting line and a .718 OPS. He's more skilled defensively at second base than Bonifacio and also offers more pop. Of course, Bonifacio has the big edge in speed, swiping 30 bases last year despite being limited to just 64 games due to a thumb injury. He finished tied for third in the majors with 40 stolen bases in 2011.

I'd be rooting for Bonifacio from a fantasy perspective, as his speed and multi-position eligibility can be very useful, but it's no sure thing that a winner will be declared coming out of spring training. The good news is that both players are versatile enough where they should see plenty of playing time no matter what. This is especially the case with Bonifacio, as he could be a backup option in case Colby Rasmus continues to struggle or Melky Cabrera regresses significantly.

Twins' center field

The competitors - Darin Mastroianni, Aaron Hicks, Joe Benson

Not only did the Twins trade Denard Span to the Nationals this offseason, but they also dealt Ben Revere to the Phillies. As a result, Minnesota's starting center fielder job is wide open this spring.

Mastroianni has the most experience of the trio and was fantasy relevant last year when he stole 21 bases in just 77 games, but the Twins probably wouldn't mind if one of the youngsters forced their hand. I'm just not sure it will happen right away. Hicks is an interesting prospect, as he bounced back from a disappointing 2011 season by hitting .286/.384/.460 with 13 home runs, 32 stolen bases and an .844 OPS last year, but he has never played a game above Double-A. As for Benson, he's coming off a year where he hit just .202/.288/.336 in the minors and missed half the season following hamate bone surgery. He could benefit by staying healthy, regardless of the setting.

Hicks could easily play his way into the starting job with a strong spring, so he should be monitored closely in AL-only leagues over the next six weeks, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Twins decide to have him get more development time in Triple-A. At 27 years old and with little in the way of pop, Mastroianni might not be anything more than a fourth outfielder in the long run, but he'd be useful in deeper mixed leagues if the Twins give him an opportunity.

Tigers' closer

The competitors - Bruce Rondon, Phil Coke, Joaquin Benoit, Octavio Dotel, Al Alburquerque, Brayan Villarreal

After saying goodbye to Jose Valverde and resisting making a run at Rafael Soriano before he signed with the Nationals, the Tigers' closer job is unsettled going into spring training. It's a pretty interesting situation for a team that many see as a favorite to return to the World Series in 2013.

By all accounts, the Tigers would love if Rondon made the choice an easy one, but manager Jim Leyland recently said that it wasn't his job to lose. And that's understandable since the 22-year-old right-hander has never thrown a pitch in the big leagues. Rondon can dial it up over 100 mph and averaged 11.2 K/9 last season between High-A, Double-A and Triple-A, but his control and command remain a work in progress. He has averaged 5.1 BB/9 over five seasons in the minors, though he took a modest step forward last year.

Leyland has stated that there might not be a clear winner out of spring training and that he isn't afraid to mix and match, so this could open the door for the likes of Coke, Benoit, Dotel, Albuquerque and Villarreal to get save chances. Since Coke is left-handed, Benoit might be my favorite option out of this group.

It's tough to have a ton of faith in Rondon and the Tigers are built to win now, so be careful to invest too heavily in the young fireballer. This has all the makings of a very fluid situation, so be prepared to stay active on the waiver wire. Heck, I wouldn't rule them out as a destination for Brian Wilson if he eventually proves his health.

Offline FOREPLUS

• Site Moderator
  • Icon
  • LADY SPORTSTER
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 10:06:22 PM »
When last year ended. St. Louis had all the right pieces. Now with Furcal being shutdown there is a gaping hole at SS.

Now that Furcal has been shut down because of elbow pain, the Cardinals are looking at the disturbing possibility—more like probability—of opening the season without a proven shortstop.

Ronny Cedeno was signed to be what he is, a backup. Pete Kozma filled in nicely for Furcal last fall but otherwise has given little indication he can be a big-league regular. Daniel Descalso is considered solid enough defensively but a lack of offense already has jeopardized his standing at second base.

Suddenly, faulting the Cardinals for not finding a shortstop solution during the offseason has become fashionable in St. Louis. But that doesn’t mean such criticism is fair.

Consider: Team physicians through the offseason have been saying Furcal’s damaged elbow is improving and should be a go by opening day. Because the Cardinals already were on the hook to pay Furcal $7 million, their wait-and-see approach made sense.

If the Cardinals had wanted to match the $9 million, one-year deal that Stephen Drew scored from the Red Sox, the Cardinals would have had $16 million invested in the shortstop position (And Drew still figured to turn them down because the Cardinals couldn’t guarantee him playing time like the Red Sox could).

St. Louis could have pushed harder in trading for Asdrubal Cabrera but according to reports, the Indians were asking too much. Same with the Rangers and Elvis Andrus. Hoping that Furcal would be OK, the Cardinals saw no reason to overpay.

But now Furcal isn’t OK, and it’s become difficult to believe he will be OK anytime soon.

Though a hole at shortstop would threaten their season, the Cardinals should remain patient. Three reasons:

— To seek a trade now would imply panic, which would drive up the price of a shortstop even more.

— Because of the second wild card, the Cardinals have time to see if their in-house candidates can handle the position if Furcal can’t. If they’re around .500 as the trade deadline approaches, they’ll still be in the chase and then could make their move. If they’ve fallen out of contention by then, it’ll be because they had more holes than at shortstop.

— The Cardinals would be foolish to admit this but after their success of the past two seasons, they can afford to have an off year. Win or lose in 2013, they’ll still draw three million-plus and they’ll still be set up for success in 2014.

One reason their future appears so promising is because of their front office’s pragmatic approach. They’re not likely to act rashly now, and they shouldn’t.